stuck on last mission (?) of Harvey Maylor's arc

cohRock

I would like to complete Harvey Maylor's arc against Vanessa and the Carnival.  I've already fought and defeated her once as an AV.  It looks like I am supposed to do it again.  I picked up a mission afterward that says in [more...]

Vanessa's still out there somewhere, and we've to to take her down.  I want you to take the mental monolcle back to the streets.  We need to learn Vanessa's location.  I really hoped we could save Vanessa DeVore.  I guess you'll have to defeat her again.

Task Complete: From the mind of one of the carnies you defeated, you have plucked Venessa DeVore's current whereabouts.

Even though it is complete, Harvey won't give me a new mission, but he would allow me to autocomplete the current one.  The title of the current one is "Defeat Vanessa & her servants".  The mission tab neither shows the mission as complete nor states a zone to go to.

What may have happened is that the hunt was not accomplished on the streets, but by doing someone else's Carnival mission.  This may have confused the game logic, which might have chosen the zone where the hunt was completed as the one where the final mission would be..

Does anyone know how to do the mission?  I would prefer not to auto-complete it if I don't have to.

-- Rock

26 minutes ago, cohRock said:

What may have happened is that the hunt was not accomplished on the streets, but by doing someone else's Carnival mission.  This may have confused the game logic, which might have chosen the zone where the hunt was completed as the one where the final mission would be.

The door it sent you to was probably in that mission.  Abandon it and do it again, and stay outside to complete it.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

At no time, in my experience has a hunt mission completed by defeating the same faction of npcs in a mission map. That has never, ever happened to me before. I don't think that's the case. 

I think you should try to abandon the mission, and then speak with Harvey again. If you're lucky, he'll tell you go kill 50 carnies again. This time, do so in the streets of PI. (near the docks and along the beach area are where I generally find them. Occasionally spread around other parts of PI as well. If you're level 45, some of the carnies near portal corps may be too difficult. 

If he won't talk with you after you abandon the mission, that is very strange. The good news is there's always ouro - but heck, you've gone through this much of the arc, it'd be a shame to not get to finish it. Perhaps try to log out of the game, close it completely. Through the launcher, re-validate the manifest, & verify the files. Then log back in, and maybe you'll catch a break and things will work properly. Beyond that, if it's as you say, then perhaps reach out to a GM through Discord. 

1 hour ago, Ukase said:

At no time, in my experience has a hunt mission completed by defeating the same faction of npcs in a mission map.

Really? That happens to me fairly often, although I don't remember doing it for a 'defeat X [group]' mission that was part of a story arc -- a random street-sweep mission like "hit the streets and defeat a few Circle of Thorns. Anywhere you find them is good, but I recommend starting in Perez Park" will accumulate credit in door missions, but "defeat ten Council in Steel Canyon" won't; you have to be in the right zone to get credit, and door missions, even if the door is in the zone, don't count as being in the zone.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, srmalloy said:

Really? That happens to me fairly often, although I don't remember doing it for a 'defeat X [group]' mission that was part of a story arc -- a random street-sweep mission like "hit the streets and defeat a few Circle of Thorns. Anywhere you find them is good, but I recommend starting in Perez Park" will accumulate credit in door missions, but "defeat ten Council in Steel Canyon" won't; you have to be in the right zone to get credit, and door missions, even if the door is in the zone, don't count as being in the zone.

Just anecdotally, if I don't see a designated zone in the mission title, I can't recall a time when I haven't seen the designated zone in the text dialogue with the contact. I can't say it doesn't exist in game, I rarely play that much attention. But from what I recall, the contact usually gives a zone or neighborhood. But, in this game, it's possible, I suppose.

3 minutes ago, Ukase said:

Just anecdotally, if I don't see a designated zone in the mission title, I can't recall a time when I haven't seen the designated zone in the text dialogue with the contact.

You see it fairly often in the low-level missions, where the contacts seem to be pushing you into Perez Park -- I've seen missions for Hellions, CoT, and Skulls where the contact suggests that you can find your victims targets in Perez Park, but doesn't require that zone for defeating them.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, tidge said:

I have experienced 'buggy' behavior with that arc if I used Tip missions to fight Carnies. As near as I can tell, that 'defeat X carnies' needs to be done on the streets of Peregrine Island.

This has happened to me too.  I can't remember if it was carnies, but it was definitely a situation where I thought, "Hey, I can use this door mission to complete the hunt mission!"  The hunt mission completed in-map; finished the map mission and...no door for the next mission following the hunt mission.

So basically, don't let hunt missions complete in map missions.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. Bocor in Port Oakes gives you a "defeat 10 hellions" mission which segues immediately into a door mission. If you defeat the hellions while on a mission , you don't get a new door on the mission map, and you don't get one when you zone out either. Luckily, you can auto complete that one (or abandon and re-do).

If you have to talk to the contact between the defeat mission and the next one, it'll be safe to do your "hunt anywhere" hunting on a mission map.

• Like 1

As others have stated,  if the hunt mission doesnt specify a zone, then you can complete it while inside a mission.  The problem comes from the hunt missions that immediately start a door mission without having you return to contact.  This attempts to generate a mission door inside the current map,  which leaves you stranded when you attempt the mission later.

Id suggest a 're-generate mission door' be added to the game along side the autocomplete option,  but i dont know if thats even possible with the games code.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/30/2021 at 11:24 PM, Luminara said:

The door it sent you to was probably in that mission.  Abandon it and do it again, and stay outside to complete it.

Abandoning and re-acquiring the mission worked since I ensured the hunt took place on the streets.  Thank you, all.

-- Rock

19 hours ago, Ukase said:

At no time, in my experience has a hunt mission completed by defeating the same faction of npcs in a mission map. That has never, ever happened to me before. I don't think that's the case. 

Happened to me 2 days ago. Decided to see if doing my Freak hunt by running another Freaks arc mish would work. 

Yes and no. Hunt finished but I ended up with a mission with no door to go to (and Mission TP didn't work either). Used "Complete Mission" to auto-complete it and moved on. 

On 8/31/2021 at 6:33 AM, Ukase said:

Just anecdotally, if I don't see a designated zone in the mission title, I can't recall a time when I haven't seen the designated zone in the text dialogue with the contact. I can't say it doesn't exist in game, I rarely play that much attention. But from what I recall, the contact usually gives a zone or neighborhood. But, in this game, it's possible, I suppose.

The first villain respec is kill (30?) circle of thorns.  The contact is in Nerva and the natural assumption is to head north and battle the CoT.  Nope.  Take the ferry to cap au diable  and kill the grey ones near the university.  Many examples of this exist redside i do not know blue

• Thumbs Up 2