Wrong nav point in Port Oakes

laggy

When I used /thumbtack -3113, 207, -1550 (location of a historical plaque) in Port Oakes, it shows up correctly on the map. However, the nav point is wrong, and brings me to the wrong location. It is also wrong on the compass. Not sure if this is a known issue.

I checked in on this one, and it's an interesting one.  The coordinates given by the OP are to the Swashbuckler plaque in Fort Hades.  If you try to use the slash command, the thumbtack shows where it should on the map but the waypoint points you to the door to the Abandoned Lab (which will also point you to the exit door from inside). 

screenshot_210902-03-36-25.thumb.jpg.e3875dfabe9e0a1a91feee2ed156193e.jpg

This gets stranger though, as it seems that this is a default waypoint based on what coordinates you thumbtack.  I tried several numbers and found that if you try to thumbtack a number lower than -1533 in the Z value without changing the X it will default to the door.  Similarly if you don't touch Z and set X to lower than -3103 it defaults to the door yet again.  Strange science continues as subtracting 1 from the Z value at this point (-3103, 207, -1551) defaults the waypoint again.  Adding 1 to X and subtracting 1 from Z causes the same default and vice versa.  Even stranger still, lowering the Y value at this extreme (-3103, 206, 1550) defaults again.

Manually clicking the thumbtack in areas outside of those values also caused the waypoint to default in some cases.

If I had to wager an uneducated guess, the coordinates system might have a set of constraints and if you exceed them it has a default waypoint to go to.  However given that the Y value was involved I honestly have no idea what that constraint could possibly be.  Either that, or there's just certain spots on the map that cause the thumbtack waypoint to freak out, since (-3113, 207, -550) and (-3113, 207, -2550) had proper waypoints, but a waypoint like (1500, 207, -1550) defaulted despite that point being way off in the northwest corner by the Commuter's Woe badge.

And just to quickly check, I went into Cap au Diable and tried the same coordinates OP provided with no issue (other than being outside the map), and every other quick coordinate I entered seemed to waypoint fine.  This may be a Port Oakes problem, or I may not have found the right coordinates that cause the freakout.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

IIRC both Port Oakes and Mercy Island have areas that have this problem. From memory, the Port Oakes problems are in the NE corner (Fort Hades) and in Mercy Island it is in the NE part of Darwin's Landing/Fort Darwin and/or the NW part of Darwin's Landing. I want to say this gets me whenever I am collecting exploration badges in these zones.

I have some version of Vidiot's maps installed.

This is definitely a known issue. I've posted about it a few times in the past, and when the /thumbtack command was in testing I posted about it on the testing discord. A dev (Faultline) responded there, and I've quoted his response below:

the reason this happens is because the waypoint that shows on the screen uses navigation beacons in order to direct you to places, and those connect through doors. Inside missions the navigation is usually very straightforward and there's only one path to objectives even with doors, but in open world the pathfinding may decide that going in and out of a door is shorter than walking past it. 

Which leaves you stuck on a loop of doors in-and-out of some buildings.
The thumbtack image in the map, on the other hand, doesn't need to do any pathfinding; it just finds the final X and Y coordinates and drops itself there.
I don't know why the ones in Mercy and Oakes are way more likely to trigger than, say, a marker inside Atlas' City Hall.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Apparition said:

This has been an issue since CoV beta in summer 2005.  I don't expect it to get resolved soon, if ever, as it's a sixteen year-old issue at this point.

In just a few years this bug will be old enough to drink.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the replies. Since this will not be addressed soon, I will just work around it and use [-3103, 207, -1550] to locate the plaque. These coordinates seem to trigger the correct waypoint, and they are close enough.

21 hours ago, laggy said:

When I used /thumbtack -3113, 207, -1550 (location of a historical plaque) in Port Oakes, it shows up correctly on the map. However, the nav point is wrong, and brings me to the wrong location. It is also wrong on the compass. Not sure if this is a known issue.

Classic Pork Oakes

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!