So if water isnt good....what is great for soloing

I-Dirty

Used to playing tanky brutes/tanks

Never played a sentinal

whats a good combo to solo stuff. Dont mind the investment.

Build links?

Or should I stop being a super whiner? 😄

Why yes I do know what a search feature is. However with the 1000 returns it is hard to dig through all that. So I ask in posts.

Psionic Mastery (Mind Probe, Dominate with procs) is the best DPS set, regardless of primary you combine it with.  It says something weird that the best DPS is an ancillary pool.

Fire Blast and Electric Blast are, generally, considered the best Primary sets.  Most are serviceable, though.

Most of the secondaries are workable.  /SR, /Rad, /Inv, and /Ninj all seem to be very popular.  I currently favor /Elec, myself.

Edited by Caulderone
  • Like 2

OH its ancillary power

I was talking main/secondary powers my bad

Edited by I-Dirty

Why yes I do know what a search feature is. However with the 1000 returns it is hard to dig through all that. So I ask in posts.

I had a very smooth, easy solo experience with Sonic. Sonic provides a lot of control along with damage. The sleep power Siren Call, often skipped for group orientated builds, becomes very effective when you are on your own.  Full disclosure, I wasn't playing a max difficulty, but then this was very cheap build with only a few tactical uniques and standard IOs.

But your best bet is just read through the sticky thread  and choose whatever sounds fun to you.

• Like 1

I probably should have posted this in your other thread, but I feel that there isn't that big of a difference between the primaries in regards to soloing as long as you put the available damage/-res procs in your attacks that can take them.  The true powergamers are dealing in relatively small percentage points of difference usually.  Maybe 10% at max difference???.  I have numerous level 50 primaries with the Super Reflexes secondary (Ice, Beam Rifle, Radiation, Dual Pistols).  My Water/SR is just level 45 but at this time I see no major difference between it and the others besides the playstyle of it having a fully ranged nuke and a rain power.  Once 50 they can all solo a pylon and they can all do 4/8 with the incarnate level shift and 3/8 out the gate once kitted out with set IO's.   So truthfully in my experience,  if you want water, and like the way it plays then play water.   After you play it then you can mess around with the procs in each attack.  For example the water heal called Dehydrate isn't that good of a heal, but it can slot more procs than powers that other attack sets have, which is a big bonus if you like that kind of stuff.   So you would just have to make your build with enough accuracy to be able to slot them all,  or you can just slot a few.   Water is a good set for procing out the attacks.   Its one of my favorite attack sets, it just annoys me after a while due to the Tidal Power mechanic.  I find myself watching for the orange circle on the power icon bar instead of the actual battle.  

Level 6:    Dehydrate    
 (A) Empty  (put a acc/dam, or acc/dam/end here. Just don't put in any io's that have recharge if you go with procs)
 (7) Gladiator's Javelin - Chance of Damage(Toxic)
 (7) Shield Breaker - Chance for Lethal Damage
 (9) Touch of the Nictus - Chance for Negative Energy Damage
 (9) Touch of Lady Grey - Chance for Negative Damage
 (11) Impeded Swiftness - Chance of Damage(Smashing)

Now again, my Water Sent is just 45, and he doesn't have all the procs in the above build and he isn't fully decked out yet.  He is using 2 Thunderstrikes for acc/dam and acc/dam/end.  But you will see things like the extracts below.  Just take into account that this is against level 45 mobs.   The key take away is how much difference the procs make.  

Spoiler

[09:22] You hit Crey Cryo Tank with your Dehydrate for 14.06 points of Smashing damage.
[09:22] You hit Crey Cryo Tank with your Dehydrate for 42.2 points of Cold damage.
[09:22] You hit Crey Cryo Tank with your Dehydrate for 8.38 points of Cold damage over time.
[09:22] You hit Crey Cryo Tank with your Touch of the Nictus: Chance for Negative Energy Damage for 69.91 points of Negative Energy damage.
[09:22] You hit Crey Cryo Tank with your Shield Breaker: Chance for Lethal Damage for 34.95 points of Lethal damage.
[09:22] You hit Crey Cryo Tank with your Impeded Swiftness: Chance for Smashing Damage for 52.43 points of Smashing damage.
[09:22] Your Opportunity lowers Crey Cryo Tank's resistance and defence for a short time.
[09:22] You hit Crey Cryo Tank with your Dehydrate for 8.79 points of Cold damage over time.
[09:22] You hit Crey Cryo Tank with your Dehydrate for 8.79 points of Cold damage over time.

With Tidal Power active

Spoiler

[09:23] You hit Crey Cryo Tank with your Dehydrate for 16.48 points of Smashing damage.
[09:23] You hit Crey Cryo Tank with your Dehydrate for 49.45 points of Cold damage.
[09:23] You hit Crey Cryo Tank with your Dehydrate for 9.82 points of Cold damage over time.
[09:23] You hit Crey Cryo Tank with your Shield Breaker: Chance for Lethal Damage for 34.95 points of Lethal damage.
[09:23] You hit Crey Cryo Tank with your Touch of Lady Grey: Chance for Negative Energy Damage for 69.91 points of Negative Energy damage.
[09:23] You hit Crey Cryo Tank with your Impeded Swiftness: Chance for Smashing Damage for 52.43 points of Smashing damage.
[09:23] Your Opportunity lowers Crey Cryo Tank's resistance and defence for a short time.
[09:23] You hit Crey Cryo Tank with your Dehydrate for 10.31 points of Cold damage over time.
[09:23] You hit Crey Cryo Tank with your Dehydrate for 10.31 points of Cold damage over time.

Edited by SmalltalkJava

My water/bio/psi sentinel has solo'd all the Freedom Phalanx TF's, also solo'd the Maria Jenkins and Tina McIntyre AV missions having fought them all as AV's. Water does well has decent damage single target and aoe, mitigation, and a self heal which pairs great with Bio Armor, and as others have stated Dominate and Mind Probe are amazing and Linked Minds is great too.

On 9/9/2021 at 10:58 AM, HoundsTooth said:

Why is Water Blast is a bad set?

It has excellent AoE damage and decent single target damage. The set has a lot of soft control. All the attacks have added effects (knockdown, slow, defense debuffs, heals), so it's straightforward to slot procs. 

Beat me to it. Water isn't a bad set. Not in the least. It's not my favorite, but I never felt like I made a bad choice with it on a sentinel. *Energy on the other hand... meh.*

On 9/9/2021 at 10:58 AM, HoundsTooth said:

Why is Water Blast is a bad set?

It has excellent AoE damage and decent single target damage. The set has a lot of soft control. All the attacks have added effects (knockdown, slow, defense debuffs, heals), so it's straightforward to slot procs. 

I was once derided for mentioning the heal. Even though I said it was part of a water/bio build. Maybe in isolation it's not great unless you figure in procs. But on bio, a set with ablative carapace it can be pretty damned good. by the time the carapace drops you can regain some lost health while dealing out damage. And of course Rebuild DNA also figures in. I guess your mileage may vary and what not.

My primary Sentinel is Water Blast built for extreme durability.  For a non-proc build water is fine.  For an offensive proc build you may get more mileage elsewhere.

Edited by Linea

AE 801 (link) is a variety of missions for fun and challenge, and is designed for a team of 5+ Incarnates.  Just search '801' in AE. 

801 Difficulty Varies: 801.0 Easy, ..., 801.2 Standard, ..., 801.5 Hard, ..., 801.8 Extreme, ..., 801.A Epic, ... 801.F Death.

Angel Hornet (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ASF (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ITF (link)

I may be AFK IRL, But CoH is my Forever Home.

On 9/10/2021 at 5:41 AM, I-Dirty said:

ok ty all for the replies. Ill look into water/something maybe bio...not sure

ty all again!

/ea would work well with it. I went Fire/ea for my Sent.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."