Homecoming on Steam Deck ???

voyager2001dl

So,

A few months ago Steam announced their new portable console, the steam deck.  It has been advertised as a portable gaming PC, in a form factor similar to the Nintendo Switch.  It apparently comes with multiple emulation software packages built Into its Linux based OS, Which has been dubbed, Steam OS.

The system is also apparently compatible with windows 10 if one wipes SteamOS first.

I have already seen steam reviews from beta testers stating, and showing it run non steam games like minecraft, fortnight, and even oldies like starcraft.

My question is this:  Will COH homecoming run on this system, and if so what emulation (and/or OS swap) would be required to make this happen?

Thanks

Galelleo

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Krimson said:

I sure hope so, because I reserved the expensive one. 

Ditto.  However, I already play COH via ShadowPC on my iPad/iPhone.  “Play” is likely too much of a stretch.  It’s more for AFK farming than actually playing the game actively, although I will often fiddle with new costumes for alts and/or do marketplace transactions using this method.

Likely the same thing I’d do with my SteamDeck.  I see SteamDeck more for FPS than anything.

• Like 1

How about this, someone send me that top tier model and I'll test it out for ya. 😉 :p 

• Haha 3

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Wasn't it said that you can run Windows on the Steam Deck?  Though CoH probably won't work with the native Steam OS, If Windows can work on the Steam Deck, I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to install and play CoH on it through Windows. 

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

I hate Steam. If it was not required to play Civilization I would never ever use it.

As it is, I have to reboot my "ancient" computer after playing a game because the Steam client will eventually cause my computer to crash.

Maybe this is different than the current Steam thing, but I shall stick to my curmudgeonly hatred of all things Steam. 

2 hours ago, gamingglen said:

I hate Steam. If it was not required to play Civilization I would never ever use it.

As it is, I have to reboot my "ancient" computer after playing a game because the Steam client will eventually cause my computer to crash.

Maybe this is different than the current Steam thing, but I shall stick to my curmudgeonly hatred of all things Steam. 

TBH, I like my non-DRM stuff (GoG, etc) and console games. The latter is less damaging on the joints than KB/Mouse. Especially if I were to play on laptop again (Burnt two of those up playing CoX back in the day :p). The controllers allow for my hands to sit the way they naturally want to be for the most part as they don't like being straight. Kinda like my collapsing foot arch thing. >.<

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

21 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

I dunno about Steamdeck, but I saw someone stream CoH on virtual reality and it's was nuts. 

I've personally played CoH with my Quest 2 using Virtual Desktop. You end up with a really big virtual monitor for the game. It doesn't allow you to actually control your character like a virtual avatar, but my god would that be cool.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Krimson said:

You have to reserve it on the Steam App itself, and they are currently expected to ship in Q2 of next year, so it could be a while. 

I lucked out and have Dec 2021 shipping.  But I honestly expect delays.  Everything else with a microchip in it is getting delayed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Speaking only from my own experience….

I’ve been gaming via VR since it’s been available.  Vive, Oculus, Quest 1/2, etc.  I enjoy games like Beat Sabre, all the Vader Immortal series and several others.  But an hour playing anything with basically a set of scuba goggles on your face just is NOT comfortable for me.  In the least.  Until the tech is something like laser-casting holograms that weigh no more than eyeglasses it’s just a novelty to me.  

I played about an hour of Day of Defeat (old ww2 FPS) on my Vive and it literally hurt my neck.  Maybe I’m an old fart but VR for extended gaming sessions just isn’t comfortable for me.

• 3 weeks later
On 9/17/2021 at 8:24 PM, SeraphimKensai said:

I've personally played CoH with my Quest 2 using Virtual Desktop. You end up with a really big virtual monitor for the game. It doesn't allow you to actually control your character like a virtual avatar, but my god would that be cool.

Did you use the controllers with Virtual Desktop?

Did you use your hands?

Did you just use a keyboard/mouse that you are really accustomed to using?

Was the latency a killer?

I have 2560x1600 on a late MacBook Pro, Virtual Desktop and Quest 2. Plus I've played coh once. (I know, I know. I got the Mac as a hand-me-down from my daughter.)

Next week I may burn a lot of time figuring out the worst way to play and then stop doing that. (Go back to 2nd worst way, Mac laptop)

I have no trouble using Quest 2 for 6 hours (I have tiny head). Yes, I could probably play a Quest 2 game instead of CoH but the person that I know that actually plays game only plays CoH.

1 hour ago, berek_Halfhand said:

Did you use the controllers with Virtual Desktop?

Did you use your hands?

Did you just use a keyboard/mouse that you are really accustomed to using?

Was the latency a killer?

1. No to the controllers
  2. Yes to use a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse
  3. The latency is more noticeable even using wifi 6, but is playable in PvE. I wouldn't try it in PvP though as there's more latency than without the headset.

That said I don't really use that setup for playing anymore, as that was more a matter of testing than anything.

• 6 months later
2 hours ago, Crysis said:

Check it out gang!  COH handheld!

The second I saw people installing Windows, then I knew stuff like this would happen. The question now comes down to drivers and support as this is still custom hardware.

6 minutes ago, WanderingAries said:

The second I saw people installing Windows, then I knew stuff like this would happen. The question now comes down to drivers and support as this is still custom hardware.

Read the posters’ “how to” in description.  I’m trying to duplicate it now.  It apparently doesn’t require installing windows on the Steamdeck.

Okay got it working but controls are going to need some work.  You -can- use joypad/mousepads on Deck to do full character movement, but you really have to use on-screen touch to activate any powers.  That renders the SD relatively useless for combat since you have to let go of one side of the Deck to do that.  I'm going to do some research back to the native COH-HC joypad controls and see if I can address that.

Progress though.  This is already -sooooo- much better than what I could accomplish via ShadowPC and my iPad with a joypad.

• 1 year later

Very late update:

So, I got delayed a year or so getting my Deck.  And Finally got it a couple weeks ago.  Right now, just trying to get the HC Launcher installer to work, and it doesnt run through desktop mode, and hangs when added as a non steam game.  Should have guessed it wouldnt run natively, but I have other options to try.

In other news though, I got Star Trek Online, Cryptics 3rd game working quite well.  I dont recommend flying a carrier, as thats a lot to manage even with the keyboard, but the game plays well.  Just run it in proton experimental mode, and remember to go into the game launcher options and disable "on demand patching" as Proton does not support this, and it will cause the game to hang on almost every map change.

I will get CoH to work also, and when I do, its controls are almost identical to that of STO, so I will make it work for when Im traveling.

Update:

Got it working, both the launcher and the game itself seem to run quite well in Proton Experimental, at least as of today.  I did have to create a custom control scheme (Fully expected), but the game actually runs better on deck than my PC.  The controls are a bit clunky, but its made for keyboard an mouse, not 14 buttons, 2 joysticks, and 2 trackpads.  But it works.  No crashes so far, not even hanging on map change.

Ill post back here when and if I get custom mastermind controls working.  This is a low priority for me as its not my favorite AT.  More of a challenge to get it to work.

Oh, anyone know a way to share/publish custom control schemes for non steam games?  If I get this working well, maybe someone else might want to try.

• Like 1