Lore (story) experts?

Ukase

I saw this doing Agent G's final mission today. 
image.png.917ee48a61f0f71ad0d46161ab8ad0b8.png

If I'm supposed to destroy the PsychoCronoMetron and it's in the helicopter - why don't I see it in the helicopter? Why can't I target the helicopter to destroy it? Seems like something is not adding up. 

Done this mission at least 4 times and it's the first time I've noticed this. 

25 minutes ago, Ukase said:

If I'm supposed to destroy the PsychoCronoMetron and it's in the helicopter - why don't I see it in the helicopter? Why can't I target the helicopter to destroy it? Seems like something is not adding up. 

Done this mission at least 4 times and it's the first time I've noticed this. 

You get the device to Penny, who in turn uses her psychic powers to destroy it.

From the souvenir: 

"...if a powerful enough psychic were to order it to alter it's own history so that it would never work again, the threat could be neutralized, permanently. As Agent G explained, the amount of psychic power that would take would be beyond Aurora Borealis, but would be well within the limits of the most powerful known psychic on the planet: A girl named Penelope Yin..."

Edited by Glacier Peak
  • Thumbs Up 5

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

33 minutes ago, Ukase said:

If I'm supposed to destroy the PsychoCronoMetron and it's in the helicopter ...

The Time Variance Authority snags many PsychoChronoMetrons in the course of their duties.  So many in fact, that the staff have taken to helping themselves to a few for their own curiosities collections...or more likely just to use as a door jam.  Clearly someone was using the one on the helicopter as a paperweight to keep papers from blowing around.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

You get the device to Penny, who in turn uses her psychic powers to destroy it.

From the souvenir: 

"...if a powerful enough psychic were to order it to alter it's own history so that it would never work again, the threat could be neutralized, permanently. As Agent G explained, the amount of psychic power that would take would be beyond Aurora Borealis, but would be well within the limits of the most powerful known psychic on the planet: A girl named Penelope Yin..."

To this day - until this post, I have never, ever read a souvenir! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Honestly, I didn't even know they existed until I set out to get all the badges back on live. I must have played for a couple of years before I was aware of them. As far as I can tell, the game never calls attention to souvenirs, and it's under the tab called "Clues". Because of this, and my familiarity with the content, there's never, ever been a reason to look in there and see what's there. Aside from the badges for them, they're useless to me. Until now, I guess, explaining how this PsychoMetronChrono thingie gets destroyed. 

2 hours ago, Hew said:

Is Agent G Mr G?

Cause thats confusing.

I don’t know if this is official, but my headcanon is that Mr. G is the Praetorian version of Agent G.  Although Praetorian Mr. G (later) says he is also Doppelganger, who is the Praetorian counterpart to Protean, who as far as I know isn’t Agent G.  It’s all very complicated.

The St. Martial version of Mr. G is definitely the same one as the Praetorian Mr. G, though.  During the fall of Praetoria, you save Mr. G (in the Inside Information tip mission).  He relocates to Primal Earth and settles in St. Martial, where the events of his (very good) arc there take place.

Edited by Zhym

1 hour ago, Zhym said:

The St. Martial version of Mr. G is definitely the same one as the Praetorian Mr. G, though.  During the fall of Praetoria, you save Mr. G (in the Inside Information tip mission).  He relocates to Primal Earth and settles in St. Martial, where the events of his (very good) arc there take place.

Yeah, thats a great arc. I love that arc. Did I mention I love that arc? I love that arc!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zhym said:

I don’t know if this is official, but my headcanon is that Mr. G is the Praetorian version of Agent G.  Although Praetorian Mr. G (later) says he is also Doppelganger, who is the Praetorian counterpart to Protean, who as far as I know isn’t Agent G.  It’s all very complicated.

I mean that sounds cool and all, but I'm like 75% sure we were told that Mr. G. is the Praetorian version of Protean?

Praetorian Protean sounds funny 😃

49 minutes ago, EmperorSteele said:

I mean that sounds cool and all, but I'm like 75% sure we were told that Mr. G. is the Praetorian version of Protean?

That's what Mr. G claims in the Inside Information mission:

Have you heard of Doppelganger? I'm sure you've heard of... Protean. Protean is Primal Earth's version of Doppelganger. That would... hah... happen to be me. Surprise, eh...? I was the one... who trained Sinclair. I assumed... I would be the one who killed him, too, though I have grown... old, unlike Protean.

So Mr. G is Doppelganger,* who is the Praetorian version of Protean.  Mr. G's character model looks a lot like the model for Agent G, through, and early on, Praetoria was all about the alternate version of characters in parallel universes thing, so I think it makes sense that Mr. G was originally intended as a Praetorian version of Mr. G.  Many issues later, when the fall of Praetoria storyline came around, the devs made Mr. G "Doppelganger."   To further complicate things, Mr. G, as "Doppelganger," had been working with the actual (Primal Earth) Protean.

I don't recall having ever heard of Doppelganger before Mr. G says the name, although it does appear in the lore, at least according to the Wiki (just as Protean killed Manticore's parents—how very Batman—Doppelganger killed Chimera's parents, but then trained him). 

So, yes, it's clear that at some point, Doppelganger is created as a Praetorian version of Protean.  Whether Mr. G was at some point meant to be a Praetorian version of Agent G—well, CoX had lots of Issues (and issues), so it's possible both were meant to be true, at different times?

* The wiki, and perhaps the game, can't seem to decide between the spellings "Doppelganger" and "Doppleganger."

• Like 1

An interesting note about all this, from AMA about Lore:

Spoiler

Q) Was Mr. G always intended to be Praetorian Protean? (Liquid)

A) Sean McCann (Dr. Aeon) - Yes, John “Protean” Hegner had this planned from the get go.

A) John Hegner (Protean) - Yeah, we wanted it to be super subtle (so totally obvious to our massive player base of apparent psychics). If you read the Praetorian content, any character that tends to repeat his last sentence is actually Doppelganger - off the top of my head I think it was just Mr. G and Tami Baker, but I am certain we hid Easter Eggs here and there. The intention was that Protean was damaged goods in Primal Earth. Doppelganger had been playing the game of masks forever and had no issues about discovering his missing identity. After all, he trained Chimera after murdering his parents. Manipulative bastard, ain’t he?

Wiki Lore AMA

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SuperPlyx said:

An interesting note about all this, from AMA about Lore:

Reveal hidden contents

Q) Was Mr. G always intended to be Praetorian Protean? (Liquid)

A) Sean McCann (Dr. Aeon) - Yes, John “Protean” Hegner had this planned from the get go.

A) John Hegner (Protean) - Yeah, we wanted it to be super subtle (so totally obvious to our massive player base of apparent psychics). If you read the Praetorian content, any character that tends to repeat his last sentence is actually Doppelganger - off the top of my head I think it was just Mr. G and Tami Baker, but I am certain we hid Easter Eggs here and there. The intention was that Protean was damaged goods in Primal Earth. Doppelganger had been playing the game of masks forever and had no issues about discovering his missing identity. After all, he trained Chimera after murdering his parents. Manipulative bastard, ain’t he?

Wiki Lore AMA

There's actually another, too:

Spoiler

The Deputy Minister of Information