Most damaging AoE powerset

Xandyr

3 hours ago, Xandyr said:

And I haven't played DB since Live and don't remember much about it. How is it?

It's a "combo" based attack set, like Street Justice.  Does make you work to get the combos in order, but not really challenging, once you get the rhythm down.

I've never used it on a tank, but had a wonderful DB/WP scrapper on Live.  Lots of animations, lots of damage.

• Like 1

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

/rad gets my vote.

EDIT: I see it was mentioned before.

Edited by Without_Pause

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

6 hours ago, PLVRIZR said:

It's a "combo" based attack set, like Street Justice.  Does make you work to get the combos in order, but not really challenging, once you get the rhythm down.

I've never used it on a tank, but had a wonderful DB/WP scrapper on Live.  Lots of animations, lots of damage.

Yep, exactly. I think the combos are easier or more flexible on DB though. Some people just do a high-recharge Attack Vitals chain but I like using all the attacks for more variety. I set up my trays so I can line up the attack buttons for each of the three-attack-combos.

It's flashy and dynamic.

5 hours ago, ninja surprise said:

Yep, exactly. I think the combos are easier or more flexible on DB though. Some people just do a high-recharge Attack Vitals chain but I like using all the attacks for more variety. I set up my trays so I can line up the attack buttons for each of the three-attack-combos.

It's flashy and dynamic.

Or get enough recharge and never use a single combo. My new DB just runs BF, SS, AS, repeat for ST and BF, SS, TE for AoE.

• Thumbs Up 1

Trapdoor results for Tankers from the thread:

4:36 Rad/SS
4:51 Bio/SS
5:53 Rad/WM
6:06 Fire/MA
6:38 Shield/MA
7:16 Rad/EM
8:04 Rad/MA

Not enough to support conclusions, but it's at least a hint that Super Strength could be contender.

Running around with 180% damage would do that 😄

I have the Fire/MA time in that. I remember trying the Claws and getting the same result. I should try the EM/Fire Br00t variant and see the time difference.

Super-strength has bad quirks hiding under the glittery neon sign of Rage but it's stuff I'd feel like working with... But I can't get past the 10 seconds of near CC. Either do the -damage or do the -defense, but not both and preferably neither.

Fire/Spines

formerly @JimmyVine (on Infinity & Victory)

currently @Cenozoic (on Reunion)

Cenozoic (Mind/Psionic Dominator) ... Los Infiernos (Fire/Devices Blaster) ... Slof (Stone/Spines Tanker) ... Zen's Furnace (Illusion/Dark Controller) ... Cryovolcano (Earth/Cold Controller)

22 minutes ago, Cenozoic said:

Fire/Spines

I'm surprised to just now see /spines mentioned.  I'm only just now looking into making a tank (the AoE and damage changes may sway me away from brutes, if only to give tanking a try) and boatloads of AoE damage appeals to me (I like lots of orange numbers around me lol).  IDK why it's not mentioned more, unless it's damage is just *that* bad compared to other sets?

EDIT:  I'm also surprised to see /fire not mentioned as much as sets like /cold, or even SS.  

Edited by Senbonbanana

Spines might not be #1, though the pairing of Burn and Ripper eats through bosses.  Much fun!

Cenozoic (Mind/Psionic Dominator) ... Los Infiernos (Fire/Devices Blaster) ... Slof (Stone/Spines Tanker) ... Zen's Furnace (Illusion/Dark Controller) ... Cryovolcano (Earth/Cold Controller)

On 10/28/2021 at 2:26 PM, Werner said:

Trapdoor results for Tankers from the thread:

4:36 Rad/SS
4:51 Bio/SS
5:53 Rad/WM
6:06 Fire/MA
6:38 Shield/MA
7:16 Rad/EM
8:04 Rad/MA

Not enough to support conclusions, but it's at least a hint that Super Strength could be contender.

Buddy of mine has a Rad/SS tank, and absolutely freaking loves the combo of Meltdown and Rage. (he's kind of a damage whore....)

11 hours ago, Cenozoic said:

Fire/Spines

Definitely makes sense, since Spines/Fire is the king of the Br00t farmers, where AOE is king...

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

16 hours ago, PLVRIZR said:

Definitely makes sense, since Spines/Fire is the king of the Br00t farmers, where AOE is king...

I thought rad/fire outshined spines/fire on the brute farming side?  I know my rad/fire farmer feels subjectively faster than my spines/fire did before I rerolled him.  I was never good at getting the cones lined up, and the PBAoE (quill explosion?  blanking on the name -.- ) felt.....anemic for such a long animation time.

Spines has LOTS of AoE potential. Unfortunately it also has painfully slow animation times.
The DPA of 'Spine Burst' in particular is rather rubbish. Ripper is OK; especially with the wider arcs on a Tanker... but it's no Fire Sword Circle or Frozen Aura or Footstomp.

Lethal Damage is also one of the most resisted damage types in PVE (it's not quite as bad as Psychic at endgame - but it still suffers against anything vaguely robotic; and lots of EBs/AVs). So outside of specific AE farming missions it can get a bit meh (as my poor old Katana Scrapper can attest...)

Edited by Maelwys

On 10/31/2021 at 5:45 PM, Maelwys said:

Spines has LOTS of AoE potential. Unfortunately it also has painfully slow animation times.
The DPA of 'Spine Burst' in particular is rather rubbish. Ripper is OK; especially with the wider arcs on a Tanker... but it's no Fire Sword Circle or Frozen Aura or Footstomp.

Lethal Damage is also one of the most resisted damage types in PVE (it's not quite as bad as Psychic at endgame - but it still suffers against anything vaguely robotic; and lots of EBs/AVs). So outside of specific AE farming missions it can get a bit meh (as my poor old Katana Scrapper can attest...)

Good points!  I generally use Burn > Ripper > Dark Obliteration/Ball Lightning > Throw Spines or click buffs

Throw Spines is good for procs and mid-ranged enemies (Augurs and Drones) and is range enhanceable like Frost.  

If Spine Burst’s cast was closer to 2.5 sec that would be ideal for dpa balance, but it’s a fun set, so yay.

On 10/31/2021 at 4:37 PM, Senbonbanana said:

I thought rad/fire outshined spines/fire on the brute farming side?  I know my rad/fire farmer feels subjectively faster than my spines/fire did before I rerolled him.  I was never good at getting the cones lined up, and the PBAoE (quill explosion?  blanking on the name -.- ) felt.....anemic for such a long animation time.

Correct. Last I knew the top times for farming where Rad/fire.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."