Why does my taskbar appear in game?

Diantane

I'm not sure if it's the same thing or not, but something similar happens to me. Usually if I left click the taskbar, then left click back into the game it fixes itself.

• Thanks 1

General fixes for Windows: shut it down fully (don't just Sleep or Hibernate) and boot it up again. Windows sometimes gets confused if you don't shut it down periodically. 

Try disabling Full Screen Optimisation in the Compatibility settings for the program. 

• Thanks 2
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

Five responses were helpful. 

Seven were mocking, unhelpful or troll responses. 

People of Homecoming, please don't be meanies. Arachnos does not support that kind of behaviour; it lowers efficiency. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

• Lead Game Master

Cleaned up the nonsense, and moved to help and support.

@Diantane, make sure you're posting in the proper section in the future, might help deter trolling.

To everyone else (you know who you are), I expected better from you.

Edited by GM Impervium
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

GM Impervium
Homecoming FAQ; Need a hand? File a Support Ticket! Want to lend a hand? Apply to be a GM!

Seems like there are a variety of issues that can cause this symptom or similar symptoms, particularly with Windows 10. In addition to the suggestions above,

1) If you have other applications running in the background, you could try closing them.

2) If you have applications pinned to the task bar, you could unpin them test to see if the problem is resolved, and then pin them back. There is speculation that certain pinned applications may cause the symptom.

3) Some people have written that restarting explorer.exe resolves the problem. Presumably this is done using ctrl+alt+del to bring up the Task Manager and finding explorer.exe under DEtails tab. End task then start task (?) I don't know if that's something that's considered safe to do.

4) If you have unread windows notifications, the notifications icon in the task bar may be pulling focus and keeping the task bar visible. In addition to simply clearing the notifications, you can change some settings in the windows notifications section of your system settings to stop incoming notifications from various sources. I think this was the solution that worked for me a couple of years back.

=:P

I'm sure you've solved it now, but I thought I'd post this for future searchers.

I've run across this issue. In my case playing with the top 3 in-game resolution settings: 2560x1440, 2560x1440 (Desktop), and Borderless (Monitor 1) seemed to resolve it. Sorry, I forget what I started with and ended with, though. I did change it later without the taskbar reappearing.

I keep my taskbar on the left vertical side of the screen, incidentally. With wider screens, vertical real estate is more precious than horizontal.

FWIW, it's sometimes possible to kill explorer.exe and not be able to start it again. I try always to REstart it, just in case. 

• Thanks 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

On 11/14/2021 at 5:51 PM, DoctorDitko said:

I'm sure you've solved it now, but I thought I'd post this for future searchers.

I've run across this issue. In my case playing with the top 3 in-game resolution settings: 2560x1440, 2560x1440 (Desktop), and Borderless (Monitor 1) seemed to resolve it. Sorry, I forget what I started with and ended with, though. I did change it later without the taskbar reappearing.

I keep my taskbar on the left vertical side of the screen, incidentally. With wider screens, vertical real estate is more precious than horizontal.

FWIW, it's sometimes possible to kill explorer.exe and not be able to start it again. I try always to REstart it, just in case. 

if u kill the task explorer.exe always have the first tab of task manager open and hit the button "new task" and then explorer.exe i  havent so far been unable to restart it that way and i had to shut it down many times for old games to run under newer windows OS .

Former Player on Server:

Protector, Guardian, Virtue, Liberty, Freedom, Union and Defiant (Hero Side) and part Time Infinity

Justice, Pinnacle, Victory (Villain Side)

Currently Reunion is the Main Server

Ah!

That's what I get for using Process Lasso as my task mangler, it will cheerfully let you shoot yourself in the foot in this way.

Good to know the default Windows one has your back.

I'll stick with Process Lasso, though, it lets me set core affinity, I/O priority, FG/BG priority and such. Handy for, say, processing video in the background while playing CoH.

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)