What Character Concept Could You NOT Get to Work?

Lunglescrops

4 hours ago, Oginth said:

There is a fictional character whom I tried to make, the problem is that he used two-handed medieval broad sword. "Broad Sword" doesn't have two-handed! "Katana" doesn't  have m medieval broad sword!

The Black Knight sword is available to Katana users.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

2 hours ago, Snarky said:

Mind/Pain Controller or Mind/Psi Dom...

I just don't see that, Joker is persuasive but mind control, telekinesis, psi attacks, not so much.

Pistol or rifle I can see, maybe I should look into blasters, secondary might be iffy.

Or a Sentinel an AR/WP.

Edited by The_Warpact
Sentinel
  • Thanks 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

8 minutes ago, The_Warpact said:

I just don't see that, Joker is persuasive but mind control, telekinesis, psi attacks, not so much.

Pistol or rifle I can see, maybe I should look into blasters, secondary might be iffy.

Or a Sentinel an AR/WP.

he loves bombs.  a dual pistol/device.  while not super fire/fire blaster.....it could work.  toe bombing is funny

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, The_Warpact said:

Joker is persuasive

Blaster, yes. Assault Rifle running with World of Confusion and Munitions: Freeze Ray, Sleep Grenade, & LRM ROCKET LAUNCHER.. totally Joker potential. You could make it work.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

12 minutes ago, Troo said:

Blaster, yes. Assault Rifle running with World of Confusion and Munitions: Freeze Ray, Sleep Grenade, & LRM ROCKET LAUNCHER.. totally Joker potential. You could make it work.

Oooo I like this alot,  damn I appreciate it.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

4 hours ago, The_Warpact said:

I make alot of alt world characters, one is this worlds version of the Joker.

His name is the Larker, and for the life of me I cannot get anything to fit him. I've been trying to make this concept work since live.

I've tried Thugs/Psn MM (both pve and pvp builds), Thug/Pain MM, DP/Psn corr, DP/Pain corr,  and currently a Psn/DP fender, which still not feeling it. Frankly, I'm at a loss at this point.

Joker is known for his use of blades, and while we don't have a switchblade concept in game, perhaps a Dual Blade concept will work, especially if setting the weapons to some of the smaller blades like perhaps the tanto, or the faer dagger.  Maybe even an occasional costume switchup to something a bit bigger, like machete.  Joker also has a high willpower which sometimes plays out as a high pain tolerance, so if you're going for a Joker homage, might I suggest a Dual Blades/Willpower Stalker?

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/19/2021 at 6:56 PM, Lazarillo said:

Because I have a hard time wrapping my brain around the fact that Masterminds can't really defend themselves, I tend to conceptualize a lot of characters who could be more "lead from the front" types, that I then don't end up playing because that would require a whole new AT (I have ideas!  Someone on HC staff, hit me up! 🙃).

And on the opposite end of the spectrum, I have a tendency to come up with Controller or Dominator-type characters and then go "yeah, but I don't really think the pet fits my concept", and lose interest that way, too.  Plant Control hits me really hard with this.  No offense to Audrey, but my concept of Plant Control would involve keeping the Creeper Patch as the main summon of the set, I think.

This has always been my issue with Masterminds. In comics, even those most calculating mastermind is still a formidable threat when the goons are beaten and the boss battle begins. The MM is basically totally defenseless, and doesn't really work as a "puppetmaster". If I want my villain to be the leader of a ninja clan, I'm better off rolling a katana/ninjitsu stalker, because anyone who leads an army of ninjas is going to be a highly trained warrior. Then I'll make a few AEs with custom minions so that my VG will know I'm a big boss. 

MMs work better when the pets are tied to the villain's power. Like necromancy or demon summoning. Or if the character's theme is complemented by the use of certain pets. Or if the minions are named characters with their own backstory and lore. Not just faceless henchmen.

• Like 1

I always wanted to play Flyboy, a pulpy bomber pilot abducted by aliens during WWII. A mix of Star-Lord and Captain America. But there are no good pistols that go pew pew. The beat rifle is way too bulky.  There's also the lack of good aviator costume pieces.

I was able to make the concept work beautifully in Champions Online.

On 11/20/2021 at 2:12 PM, JasperStone said:

Bio Armor ... I have tried just does not work for me. 

Same. It's a quirky armour set and I like the idea, but it doesn't really shine at anything other than having built in damage options and it looks like you've got electric poo on you. 

• Thumbs Up 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

6 hours ago, the1egend1ives said:

I always wanted to play Flyboy, a pulpy bomber pilot abducted by aliens during WWII. A mix of Star-Lord and Captain America. But there are no good pistols that go pew pew. The beat rifle is way too bulky.  There's also the lack of good aviator costume pieces.

I was able to make the concept work beautifully in Champions Online.

Not sure exactly what you're after but maybe some of this might give fresh ideas?  

I was able to combine the "Plan 9 Striker with Fin" dual pistols (pic below) with Solarverse's "Star Wars Blaster SFX" mod on CoH Modder for a satisfying "pew pew" pair of weapons.

image.png.fb2afe9d3c2e4b30aeb83dfa09235df6.png

audio sample:

While I agree that we could always use more aviator costume parts (would love a good lamb's wool-lined bomber jacket ala "Sky Captain"), a little creativity never hurt.  Ace Barnstormer here was created in 2005 from parts available even then.

image.thumb.png.d16ea63799be2f8555438f9fc5c84042.png

Edited by Techwright

On 11/20/2021 at 7:08 AM, Icono04 said:

There are a few Titan Weapon swords that might fit the bill. Granted, they are bigger than a medieval two-handed broad sword - more like a 3-handed sword, size-wise - but even a real-life 2H sword looks a bit oversized when used by a normal-sized human.

Was going to say the same.  I have a small girl named Anna Mae (get it?) who is in full chainmail armor and wields the Excalibur Titan Weapon blade.

On 11/20/2021 at 7:33 AM, The_Warpact said:

I make alot of alt world characters, one is this worlds version of the Joker.

His name is the Larker, and for the life of me I cannot get anything to fit him. I've been trying to make this concept work since live.

I've tried Thugs/Psn MM (both pve and pvp builds), Thug/Pain MM, DP/Psn corr, DP/Pain corr,  and currently a Psn/DP fender, which still not feeling it. Frankly, I'm at a loss at this point.

Something to consider might be super reflexes - not so much to represent agility or skill, but Joker's dumb luck to avoid the most damaging attacks against him, (but when an attack does get through, it usually sends him reeling).  Perhaps a dual pistol or assault rifle / super reflexes sentinel.  Add in a few powers from experimentation to represent his joker toxin/gas...

• Like 1

The problem with the joker is what does he attack with? He isn’t the most combat orientated villain. 

I would say traps might be good for the type of character. Perhaps Illusion/Traps, with the phantom army as duplicates? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

Thinking about it he’s probably more of a gadget control character. But controllers lack natural power themes. Pistols and/or swords in their epic pools would really add the finishing touch. 

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

2 hours ago, Peacemoon said:

The problem with the joker is what does he attack with? He isn’t the most combat orientated villain. 

I would say traps might be good for the type of character. Perhaps Illusion/Traps, with the phantom army as duplicates? 

A good approach is using the mirror looks of Phantom army, use one of your slots to make a henchmen costume, summon them mirroring that, then change to the Joker one for you, great for screenshots.

Σαυτὸν ἀρίθμησον πρότερον καὶ γνῶθι σεαυτόν,

καὶ τότ᾽ ἀριθμήσεις γαῖαν ἀπειρεσίην.