Name suggestions

LKN-351

4 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Well, this isn't going to help the OP any, but I just reserved Sick Rimes for an Ice/Poison corruptor on Excelsior.

Damn, mighty jealous of that one.

Speaking of thersaurs-y options, I love this site: http://onelook.com/reverse-dictionary.shtml

Sometimes it pulls some weird options out of its hat, such as terribly archaic words, words that were never all that popular and who's time has already passed or something, but loving words, it can be a joy to discover rarities such as "pawky" and then use them for your names (the bonus there being no one else has ever used it before).  And if the presented words have nothing to do with your concept, they still might trigger some other idea for you.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I messed with the suggestions and a translator again today. I liked the japanese translation for enemy, but I couldn't find any other interesting translations to go with it. I don't think this translator is the greatest either, much like google translate.

Just because I'm bored out of my ever loving mind, I used Google Translate to see what the word "enemy" translated to in Japanese.  I got "Teki" (敵), swapped the translation (i.e., Japanese to English), and hilighted 敵 in the Japanese window to check synonyms.  I clicked the last synonym (仇同氏), which gave me the pronounciation "Kyū dōshi."  However, Google translated it to English as "Mr. Ido."  And now I'm asking myself if I want to know why.

Anyway, so, there you go - does "Mr. Ido" work for you?

• Haha 2

Mr. Ido sounds like he would be Mr. Miyagi's brother who is a fair but firm landlord of an apartment complex as opposed to an evil deity that will freeze you in place for looking at him wrong or being in the wrong place at the wrong time lol

I do appreciate the efforts though and hope it momentarily cured some boredom.

Don't get so hung up over names based on power sets and such. When I was making my tank that I am now playing, I first created the costume because I want to use the malaise pattern and decided I wanted it to be purplish with pink as a secondary color. I finally decided on stone/rad. I tried several names based on the power set, but nothing took., Since I used gem for stone armor. I looked up purple gems and found Charoite is a gemstone that looks a lot like the malaise pattern.

I ended up trying several names and either couldn't get them or they didn't gel with me. While sitting there stumped watching my character attack over and over in the custom power screen, I realized that she looked like she was summoning bubbles to attack with. Purple bubbles with gave me my name of Violet Effervescence and the battle cry, "You are about to get a bubble punch to the face!"

The point is to think outside of the box. You name doesn't have to indicate anything about the character. My character Lady All-Star's name has nothing to do with being a EM/INV scrapper.

Well I usually build the character around the name or a general theme or I just find a cool name and give it a character to go along with that name. I've been trying to come up with a name for this character for at least a few weeks if not a month before I originally made this post... I'm just running on empty for ideas so I thought I'd come make a post about it to see if that helped.

On 12/25/2021 at 11:47 AM, Techwright said:

"Brain Freeze" is actually taken on every one of the five servers.  Perhaps a variation in spelling is not, or something like "Brain Freezer".

Add something to the name is also an option.  I had a mind/ice dominator back on Live that I wanted to name Brainfreeze.  It was taken, so I tried various variants that wouldn't bother me:  Brainfreezer, Brain-Freeze, Freezebrain...  I refused to go the route of .Brainfreeze or xX Brainfreeze Xx because I just can't get into a character with that anymore than I can blatant misspellings like Branefreeze or Brainfreaze or whatever.

I ended up with Prof. Brainfreeze.

Baron, Captain, Lord, Mister, and Sir are also good titles to shove in front of a name.  And I'm sure there are plenty of others.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here are some names currently available on Excelsior at time of posting that I thought I'd share:

Puns are fun:

Gelidonaut

Ice Trainer

Snow Khan

Rimes and Floes

Rime and Freezin'

Ice Piton Yu

Names inspired by the slow effects in both powersets:

Rimeshackle

Icebraker

Ice Arrest

Icelocker

Icejacker

Frostjacker

Icespider

Cryoshocker

To get kind of serious, only two of my characters have a vaguely "superhero" name - one of which is kind of a parody-slash-pun name, and the other of which is tied to the character's powersets.  All the others use actual names, code-names, or semi-random words from semi-random languages, all of which make sense given the characters' personalities or back-stories.  So, to add to Marshal_General's statement about thinking outside the box, maybe a little RP and a little bit of Wikipedia would help jump-start some random creativity circuits.

As a for-instance, I wanted to play a super-secret spy-turned-rogue type character in one of those other MMOs a while back, but I was stumped for a name.  I then recalled that the name "James Bond" was supposedly a British variation of the American "John Doe."  So, I googled the phrase "John Doe in other languages" and found a Wikipedia page that claimed, among other things, that one way Chinese law enforcement generates placeholders is by using common surname with a number for the given name.  And BAM, the name "Lee Three"* hit me like a slice of lemon wrapped around a gold brick.

Yes, I know it should be "Li San."  Yes, I have no doubt that it has a colloquial meaning that would ruin the name.  No, I don't want to hear it.

The point is that thinking about who your character is instead of what your character does may help.  You don't have to go full-on RP; a two-sentence "elevator pitch" may be enough to get the job done.

Edited by TheOtherTed
grammar error that everyone probably would have overlooked but drove me nuts when I saw it
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TheOtherTed said:

The point is that thinking about who your character is instead of what your character does may help.  You don't have to go full-on RP; a two-sentence "elevator pitch" may be enough to get the job done.

My character, Lady All-Star, is the daughter of Captain All-Star and Lady Photon. I even took aspects of both their costumes to create hers.

Edited by Marshal_General

On 12/30/2021 at 4:37 AM, Player2 said:

Add something to the name is also an option.  I had a mind/ice dominator back on Live that I wanted to name Brainfreeze.  It was taken, so I tried various variants that wouldn't bother me:  Brainfreezer, Brain-Freeze, Freezebrain...  I refused to go the route of .Brainfreeze or xX Brainfreeze Xx because I just can't get into a character with that anymore than I can blatant misspellings like Branefreeze or Brainfreaze or whatever.

I ended up with Prof. Brainfreeze.

Baron, Captain, Lord, Mister, and Sir are also good titles to shove in front of a name.  And I'm sure there are plenty of others.

"Major Brainfreeze" sounds like a good one of those title variants (and a few of my worst Dairy Queen visits).

• Thumbs Up 1

Zero Mindset

Zero Tolerance

Zero Motivation

Zero IQ             ( I have this and may be persuaded to let it go)

Dr Zero             ( I have this but works in capitals only. i will let it go)

Absolute Zero  ( I have this but works in capitals only. I will let it go)

I misread  the first post. You want ice/ice not ice/psi sorry.

Edited by Gobbledegook

Yeah a few people have misread that lol no worries

Also, my previous post (that's right above yours😄) was that I found a name finally

Absolute Zero is a good one though but I don't have any characters thought up that could use it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I made a dual flintlock pistols/ice melee blaster called Aaron Brrr. He's on Torchbearer, and I think I have an old copy of him around on Indomitable, but I can delete him on Indom since I never play him. If you want the name on non-TB servers, go ahead.

• Haha 1

Refight the Trojan War and stop Arachnos in the time-traveling "Dr. Aeon and the Wrath of Achilles," 5 missions full of heroic allies and smash/lethal EBs, AE#31899!

Torchbearer Greek & Roman theme SG and coalition -- "Polias" -- always looking for new members!