Name suggestions

LKN-351

This cool dude needs a name. I want to re-roll a dom from back in the day that was a mind/ice dom rogue with the name Mindshear...

I wasn't the biggest fan of mind but I've got quite a bit of interest in ice/ice and I really liked the costume powerset colours... but I can't come up with a new name.

150_200.png.7efc2407f75804b0e369978f0c024fca.png

Still going to be a rogue but I'd love some name suggestions to get the creative juices flowing.

The Amazing Kreskin.

Yer N. Geller. Geller-man.

(Because they're both on ice these days...)

Edited by Shenanigunner

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

4 hours ago, Andreah said:

Crevasse

I know that's a crack in a glacier but I think most would just think its a generic gaping hole.

I like uncommon words used as names though

2 hours ago, Snarky said:

Psi Blizzard

That wouldn't be bad if he was still using psi powers.

7 hours ago, The_Warpact said:

Plenty of name generators on line that can have specific parameters entered ie; cold/hero/etc.

I hadn't used any of those in a long time, but I'll see if I can pull some up tomorrow. I didn't think of that off hand though.

12 hours ago, LKN-351 said:

This cool dude needs a name. I want to re-roll a dom from back in the day that was a mind/ice dom rogue with the name Mindshear...

I wasn't the biggest fan of mind but I've got quite a bit of interest in ice/ice and I really liked the costume powerset colours... but I can't come up with a new name.

150_200.png.7efc2407f75804b0e369978f0c024fca.png

Still going to be a rogue but I'd love some name suggestions to get the creative juices flowing.

Herbie  It is a slang term used in Antarctica for a whiteout

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

Katabatic.

Katabatic winds are most commonly found blowing out from the large and elevated ice sheets of Antarctica and Greenland. The buildup of high density cold air over the ice sheets and the elevation of the ice sheets brings into play enormous gravitational energy. Where these winds are concentrated into restricted areas in the coastal valleys, the winds blow well over hurricane force,[2] reaching around 300 km/h (190 mph).[3] In Greenland these winds are called piteraq and are most intense whenever a low pressure area approaches the coast.

Also people used to play Tribes knows this map.

• Thumbs Up 3

6 hours ago, Ukase said:

Brain Freeze 

"Brain Freeze" is actually taken on every one of the five servers.  Perhaps a variation in spelling is not, or something like "Brain Freezer".

Ice is a popular power and as such a lot of common ice names are already taken (even if they never get played 😠 ).  With my ice/ice controller I found that thinking outside the box delivered a great solution that people still comment on.  I chose a red/white Coca~Cola pattern, and called him "Polar Cola Man", running with the gag that he was an ice hero sponsored by the fictional Polar Cola Company.  I took the gag a step further by naming his "Jack Frost" ice pet Freezzard™ which is obviously a portmanteau of "freeze" and "blizzard" and treated it as if the pet was named for a frozen cola treat.   Perhaps smashing a few words together (portmanteau) or coming up with something fictional to a real world frozen counterpart might give some ideas.

Edited by Techwright
  • Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Techwright said:

"Brain Freeze" is actually taken on every one of the five servers.  Perhaps a variation in spelling is not, or something like "Brain Freezer".

Ice is a popular power and as such a lot of common ice names are already taken (even if they never get played 😠 ).  With my ice/ice controller I found that thinking outside the box delivered a great solution that people still comment on.  I chose a red/white Coca~Cola pattern, and called him "Polar Cola Man", running with the gag that he was an ice hero sponsored by the fictional Polar Cola Company.  I took the gag a step further by naming his "Jack Frost" ice pet Freezzard™ which is obviously a portmanteau of "freeze" and "blizzard".   Perhaps smashing a few words together (portmanteau) or coming up with something fictional to a real world frozen counterpart might give some ideas.

I tried! 

Admittedly, I knew it was likely it would be taken on Excelsior and Everlasting. 

I have a character named Apache Fog. I got the name off of a race horse that an old girlfriend of mine owns. I liked the sound of it. So, I also made an Apache Fire, Apache Flame, Apache Mace, Apache Heat, Apache Rain, Apache Steel, and a lot of other Apache Named Characters. 

Then, last year, (2020), I see a character named Apache_Fire. Now, I checked their character info and saw that my character was made first. I promise you, this really bothers me. It shouldn't, but it does. It's like a peeve. I realize it's fuss over nothing, but it irks me. In any event, I've always felt like if you try to get a name like Brain Freeze, and someone already has it, using something like Bra1n Fr33zE is just sad. I mean, it's obvious you wanted Brain Freeze but can't get it because someone else has it already. But that's what makes the names in this game so fantastic! That creativity that develops a character's name, and how the name ties in with the power sets, or some other facet of the character. 

I truly understand that sometimes, a name is just so perfect for a character you have in mind, that you feel like you MUST adapt the name in some small way to use it. But it still irks me when it's my character's name that's been sort of copied. And I do think those that use numbers for letters are just not trying hard enough to come up with a suitable name. 

So I'm sometimes  judgemental and a bit of a jerk. Nothing new there! I just can't help it. 

Mindsicle
Nasty Neuralgia
Hail Hitler (sorry if that's offensive. Hail may be a verb for a greeting, but it's also frozen rain, sort of. ) 
Sleet Sammy

Nothing as fantastic as Brain Freeze, but not horrible suggestions. 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Snarky said:

Blizzshear?  Keeps the original “feel” says cold as heck, and has about 99% chance of availability 

I like that idea, but something about that seems... long? Like it's not too long but it seems long to say? I tried tons of thesaurus entry's to keep the shear part of the name but I just couldn't get into any of them.

9 hours ago, wjrasmussen said:

Herbie  It is a slang term used in Antarctica for a whiteout

Herbie sounds very much like it would be an ice hero name, but Whiteout I really dig... sadly I suspect its probably taken.

5 hours ago, Xeres said:

Katabatic.

Katabatic winds are most commonly found blowing out from the large and elevated ice sheets of Antarctica and Greenland. The buildup of high density cold air over the ice sheets and the elevation of the ice sheets brings into play enormous gravitational energy. Where these winds are concentrated into restricted areas in the coastal valleys, the winds blow well over hurricane force,[2] reaching around 300 km/h (190 mph).[3] In Greenland these winds are called piteraq and are most intense whenever a low pressure area approaches the coast.

Also people used to play Tribes knows this map.

I like that a lot. It's got history, it's got back story, and it's a cool looking word but it sort of sounds heroic for some reason... Piteraq I like a lot, it means "That which attacks you" and that highly amuses me given the context lol

What about like ice gods or cold gods or otherworldly cold related beings? I'm going to literally plug that into google and see if I come up with anything.

Great suggestions though, keep'em coming.

Edited by LKN-351
Quoted, but no response lol oops

39 minutes ago, Ukase said:

Hail Hitler (sorry if that's offensive. Hail may be a verb for a greeting, but it's also frozen rain, sort of. )

On the other hand...

Hail Hitter  

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

23 hours ago, LKN-351 said:

ice/ice

My first thought was "Vanilla Ice," but that's probably taken and would get you generic'ed anyway.  Second thought was "Twice as Ice," which sounds just as deliberately cheesy early hip-hop.  Slice of Ice?  Dicey Ice?  Ice Shredder?  Ice Crusher?  The City So Nice They Iced It Twice?

2 hours ago, Ukase said:

I tried! 

Admittedly, I knew it was likely it would be taken on Excelsior and Everlasting. 

I have a character named Apache Fog. I got the name off of a race horse that an old girlfriend of mine owns. I liked the sound of it. So, I also made an Apache Fire, Apache Flame, Apache Mace, Apache Heat, Apache Rain, Apache Steel, and a lot of other Apache Named Characters. 

Then, last year, (2020), I see a character named Apache_Fire. Now, I checked their character info and saw that my character was made first. I promise you, this really bothers me. It shouldn't, but it does. It's like a peeve. I realize it's fuss over nothing, but it irks me. In any event, I've always felt like if you try to get a name like Brain Freeze, and someone already has it, using something like Bra1n Fr33zE is just sad. I mean, it's obvious you wanted Brain Freeze but can't get it because someone else has it already. But that's what makes the names in this game so fantastic! That creativity that develops a character's name, and how the name ties in with the power sets, or some other facet of the character. 

I truly understand that sometimes, a name is just so perfect for a character you have in mind, that you feel like you MUST adapt the name in some small way to use it. But it still irks me when it's my character's name that's been sort of copied. And I do think those that use numbers for letters are just not trying hard enough to come up with a suitable name. 

So I'm sometimes  judgemental and a bit of a jerk. Nothing new there! I just can't help it. 

Mindsicle
Nasty Neuralgia
Sleet Sammy

Nothing as fantastic as Brain Freeze, but not horrible suggestions. 

Sorry if I came across as putting your suggestion down.  It was not intended that way, but I don't always do a good job of typing out thoughts.

You really like "Apache X", where X stands for everything else!  😁 I'd have been surprised that you'd not named "Apache Chief" if it weren't already a DC character.  Come to think of it, "Apache X" sounds rather cool and mysterious.

As to someone stealing your name, I quite understand.  I had an awesome name back in live for my tanker, came to Homecoming and found it nowhere so I started using it, made the mistake of withdrawing my "reserve the name" character from Excelsior for a short time (I forget why) and found someone "stole" the name in that short time.  Was pretty ticked.  I've never found another name quite as effective for him since.

The "Hail Hitler" might work if it is a homage to the hilariously over-the-top stage character in "The Producers".  😉

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, TheOtherTed said:

My first thought was "Vanilla Ice," but that's probably taken and would get you generic'ed anyway.  Second thought was "Twice as Ice," which sounds just as deliberately cheesy early hip-hop.  Slice of Ice?  Dicey Ice?  Ice Shredder?  Ice Crusher?  The City So Nice They Iced It Twice?

make him look like the Baby New Year and call him "Ice Ice Baby"?

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, TheOtherTed said:

Ice Ice Baby?

• Haha 2

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!