Fiery Aura on a Sentinel

Mythical Creature

I am interested in using Fiery Aura on a Sentinel. I was hoping to start a conversation about what blast sets the community think best compliment fiery aura on a sentinel and why they think it is a good fit. Partly because I am torn between several choices myself so was hoping someone could sell the merits of those combos or propose their own.  

So far in the running are the following:

Fire Blast - Matches thematically and on the higher end as far as damage goes. 

Electrical Blast - Also one of the more damaging sets, the Molten Embrace will add fire damage to the energy blasts, which could be nice. My main concern is that without a complimentary -End drain in my armor set. Will I see the shock effect often enough to matter. Is the blast set enough by itself to see a benefit from the new shock mechanic or does it need to be paired with electric or energy armor for the additional -End?

Water Blast - Not the greatest thematic match, but all the knockdown and knockup seems like it would pair nicely with burn, especially since I will be lacking a taunt.

Ice Blast / Dark Blast - Will make me a lot more survivable at the expense of damage and aoe (more for dark), but perhaps the damage from Fiery Aura will compensate for this with the addition of burn, consume, and rise of the phoenix?

Radiation Blast / Sonic Attack - Maybe the extra damage from fiery aura is exactly what these debuff sets are looking for? The aoe disorient/holds will help keep enemies in the burn patch and debuffs are always welcome.

Thoughts? I am hoping to not make 7 different sentinels, please help me narrow down my choices. Thank you.

Fiery Aura - Unofficial Homecoming Wiki (cityofheroes.dev)

<Witch> of Everlasting

<Mythical Creature> of Excelsior
Global Name: @Mythical Creature
"Monsters are real and they look like people." - Unknown

4 hours ago, DarknessEternal said:

Make 7 different sentinels on beta: see what you like.  It's super easy.

Admittedly I haven't tried the beta server out, I should give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

<Witch> of Everlasting

<Mythical Creature> of Excelsior
Global Name: @Mythical Creature
"Monsters are real and they look like people." - Unknown

As a major fan of water blast, and it's high overall performance, I could see a case, besides geyser and steam spray are both fire damage :).  Everything in water is a good power, so you have some very good options for a very high damage and versatile build that still has knockdowns, self heal to supplement your secondary.

And if your roleplaying, could rp it as like gasoline or oil blasting or something :).

• Thumbs Up 1

If you're talking thematic-wise I suggest the following because the animation and over all concept goes well with /Fire: Electric (Zuko's twisted sister in Avatar), Dark (you can colour the Noir alt to bring it closer to a burning thing) if you prefer the slower energy projectile, if not Energy Blast works as well, and Rad (probably the closest to Fire visually plus you get eye-beams). Ice could also work (that guy from My Hero Academia... forget his name... No.2's son). If it was me, I'd go with AR and just use Flamethrower and Incenerator. 😃 

Meta-wise, I'm not a bean counter myself, so I can't really say which primaries will benefit from the /Fire's talents.

23 minutes ago, DarknessEternal said:

So you're assuming Burn does full damage then.  Even though on a Sentinel with no taunt, it never will.

I dare do all that may become a man.

The pet portion is 36% of the base damage, and the more substantial portion of the initial burst with the procs is going to do its damage regardless. If you like, I can remove all but the first tick of damage and re-do my rack and stack.

5 hours ago, DarknessEternal said:

So you're assuming Burn does full damage then.  Even though on a Sentinel with no taunt, it never will.

Because you never play with a Brute or Tanker in a team, amirite?

Elec, beam and Ice have all outperformed fire  blast for me.  I also have a water/fire  which in theory with burn and whirlpool would make a great aoe build. Which then I relearned no punchvoke no burn. Now fully built with melee incarnate it’s viable but by then it’s almost time to start another toon.  I would strongly suggest Ice or some primary that can slow because when burn drops they scatter.

Edited by Ironscarlet