Immortalizing Heraclea in Cimerora

I got u guys.  👍 all around.  I had been wondering where Heraclea was for a few weeks and got the news around 5 days after he died.  He will be missed.

I had a suggestion for a hall of heroes structure to be added to echo plaza for all the fallen heroes that were placed ingame.  If that were added it would be a perfect place as well with the greek/roman feel of the zone.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

I would truly like to see a memorial for Heraclea in either Cimerora or Echo Plaza.

Maybe a "Hall of Fallen Heroes" in Echo Plaza? A memorial for Heraclea could be placed inside, along with others that the community feels belong there. It would also provide a place for future memorials to be placed.

It's a sad fact that none of us will make it out of here alive. How we handle that fact is what makes us heroes, or not.

Until we meet again Steve, may God hold you in the palm of his hand.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Thumbs Down 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

31 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Maybe a "Hall of Fallen Heroes" in Echo Plaza? A memorial for Heraclea could be placed inside, along with others that the community feels belong there. It would also provide a place for future memorials to be placed.

Here is the post about an echo plaza large scale memorial.  I still suck at base building so i havent made a mock up.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

If I might add on to this suggestion, it's occurred to me that Steve was really proud of the bases he built.  He put a tremendous amount of time into making them fit his themes and ideas, and from what I saw of them, they really were magnificent.  It would be really fitting if we could come up with a way to set those bases up to never go away, and keep them open for us to gather and reminisce, or for new players to see the legacy he left behind.  Perhaps a server-side script or player character in each base to keep them open perpetually, or copying them over to a tribute map linked to his NPC avatar (when (not if) it's added)?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Considering how massive base building has become for HC, they should already be working on some form of this.  Sounds like it would be a perfect bit of icing on the cake for Hereclea.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Here we go again...

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I have a couple of alts in Amazon Army and I have no intention of closing the doors on the group.  The base he built will remain untouched so long as I am around.  I will try to put together some nice screen captures into a thread for the base.  He had the passcodes in his forum signature, so they are all open to the public to visit and enjoy. 

I am all for having Heraclea as a permanent NPC in the base as well, however that seems a lot more work for the team here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Thumbs Down 1

• Lead Game Master
13 hours ago, ShardWarrior said:

I have a couple of alts in Amazon Army and I have no intention of closing the doors on the group.  The base he built will remain untouched so long as I am around.  I will try to put together some nice screen captures into a thread for the base.  He had the passcodes in his forum signature, so they are all open to the public to visit and enjoy. 

I am all for having Heraclea as a permanent NPC in the base as well, however that seems a lot more work for the team here. 

From what I recall from a similar convo, a base NPC wouldn't be permanent, as they'd get wiped every server restart (or whenever the base was empty, and then reloaded when someone else came through).

So, there's a technical hurdle, but one we're aware of, and iirc there's some interest in doing something about it (NOT making any promises here, the devs are pretty tight-lipped about anything they intend to do). All we can do is hope.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Thumbs Up 5

GM Impervium
Homecoming FAQ; Need a hand? File a Support Ticket! Want to lend a hand? Apply to be a GM!

17 hours ago, GM Impervium said:

From what I recall from a similar convo, a base NPC wouldn't be permanent, as they'd get wiped every server restart (or whenever the base was empty, and then reloaded when someone else came through).

So, there's a technical hurdle, but one we're aware of, and iirc there's some interest in doing something about it (NOT making any promises here, the devs are pretty tight-lipped about anything they intend to do). All we can do is hope.

Totally understood that it is not a promise of anything.  Thank you for sharing your insight here.   🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, krj12 said:

I think creating a Heraclea npc in Cimerora should be sufficient, just to be consistent with past user memorials like Coyote in the starter zone.

Same.  Hiding him away in a base just doesn't seem right to me.

• Thumbs Down 1

Personally, I think the base NPC idea might be best, at least in the long run.

For one, there's more control over implementation. The HC team have limited time and scope when it comes to projects like this, and it can often take a while to implement with so many projects in the pipeline already. With the prospect of customisable NPCs in bases, players can dedicate the time and effort to getting it done properly.

Secondly, bases are highly customisable and community driven. I've seen some truly amazing things created in the base editor, so supergroups would have the potential to make something far more personal for people they wish to memorialise. I also imagine a community memorial might not be out of the question, where people can visit a base dedicated to fallen players.

Lastly, it keeps it where it should be, the community. The HC team might not know who a person is or how they should be memorialised, which can lead to some... awkward situations. Fellow players are more likely to have a better perspective, which means they can ensure ideas like this can have a more considerate approach.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Tyrannical said:

The HC team might not know who a person is or how they should be memorialised, which can lead to some... awkward situations. Fellow players are more likely to have a better perspective, which means they can ensure ideas like this can have a more considerate approach.

Reading the original post in this thread provides the background and the suggestion as to where and how to memorialize Heraclea. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

8 hours ago, ShardWarrior said:

Reading the original post in this thread provides the background and the suggestion as to where and how to memorialize Heraclea. 

I'm aware.

But if you read the rest of the thread you can see that people have different opinions. Some people support the Cimerora idea, others think Echo Plaza is more suitable, and some think a Firemullet tribute might be better.

The HC team might not have the perspective needed to decide which idea is best and why, which is why I support the SG base idea, because it means they don't have to, it's entirely within the community's hands.

Edited by Tyrannical
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Tyrannical said:

The HC team might not have the perspective needed to decide which idea is best, which is why I support the SG base idea, because it means they don't have to, it's entirely within the community's hands.

Your support for the base NPC is noted, thank you.  Again, perspective was provided in the original post.  If the team here needs additional insight, I would be happy to gather a  group of his friends from in game to provide them with more. 

While a base NPC is a nice idea, I am not sure it would be good to have competing memorials, and restricting these NPCs to bases that he had built is not going to be feasible in that I am not sure there is anyone else in those SGs who can edit them.

There is precedent for adding the characters of very special members of the community into the game with meorial NPCs characters like Curupira and Gloryhound in ICON and Croatoa respectively.  Steve was a very special member of this community and deserving of the same special treatment in my opinion.  His main character of Heraclea had the strongest connection to Cimerora.  I think Steve would smile knowing Heraclea will be there forever standing watch. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1