Solo'ing AV questions

Garrickwest

Hey everyone,

For AV builds is Focused Accuracy worth having?

If so, do you run with it on, or just use it for any set bonuses?

Also what is the damage max for a scrapper?

Last, How important is ToHit vs Accuracy for fighting AV's?

My toon that' i'm working on a AV build is Dark Melee/SR.

I tried solo'ing Diabolique, (i know some AV's may be harder or easier for SR toons). 

My survivability was fine but doesn't seem I was quite doing enough damage over time.

Some ingame stats:

Accuracy: 1.45x normal...1.65x with Focused Accuracy on.

Damage bonus: 12% without soul consumption 22.50% with assault on.

Tohit bonus: 75% base, 80% with Focused Accuracy.

I find it hard to distinguish between To Hit and Accuracy, but more of either is always good. It won't matter how much damage you have it doesn't connect. I always try to build up Accuracy through set bonuses (though I don't pay attention to stats and numbers enough) and leave the To Hit to the will RNG gods and certain clickies.

Offhand, I find your Accuracy numbers decent, though my newb opinion doesn't carry much weight. Your damage bonus and To Hit seem a bit on the low side.

Additionally, when I'm taking on AVs, I find having a couple of Holds make the job easier.

9 hours ago, Garrickwest said:

Hey everyone,

I tried solo'ing Diabolique, (i know some AV's may be harder or easier for SR toons). 

My survivability was fine but doesn't seem I was quite doing enough damage over time.

Some ingame stats:

What you want is to grab Mids and rebuild your character there so that we can look at it.

- Most of the time Focused Accuracy is not needed to reach 95% but this depends on how expensive your build is/what difficulty you're running content. I personally run it all the time but it can be used just for content where Blinds or accuracy debuffing are happening.

- Max damage is a loaded question. By context you probably mean in a single target scenario. For this you have the Pylon thread in this forum even though it's not the best test since it leads to 'cheating' with -res which AVs mostly ignore and the pylon itself ignoring the damage types. Overall I'm going to say Energy Melee.

- AVs need to be whittled. Even a character with 3-4 minutes breaking a pylon can take 7-8 minutes to kill a level 50 +3 AV.

Diabolique is notably a difficult AV to solo if your damage isn't great, because at low hit point amounts she'll bubble up and become invulnerable and heal herself, and then you have a limited amount of time to kill her while her force field is on cooldown.  (However, she doesn't do a ton of damage, so if your survivability is marginal she shouldn't stress you).

Monitor your last-hit-chance.  Ideally, it's consistently 95%, or very near that.  If it is, you don't need more accuracy/to-hit, and you can focus on more damage, endurance or survivability.

11 hours ago, Garrickwest said:

Since you ask, it is 400% on a scrapper (+100% base)

One other thing to consider when fighting AVs is debuffs, you might want to consider adding Weakened Resolve or Corrosive Vial and Envenomed Daggers .

3 hours ago, aethereal said:

Diabolique is notably a difficult AV to solo if your damage isn't great, because at low hit point amounts she'll bubble up and become invulnerable and heal herself, and then you have a limited amount of time to kill her while her force field is on cooldown.  (However, she doesn't do a ton of damage, so if your survivability is marginal she shouldn't stress you).

Monitor your last-hit-chance.  Ideally, it's consistently 95%, or very near that.  If it is, you don't need more accuracy/to-hit, and you can focus on more damage, endurance or survivability.

If I know I'm fighting her I just set it to EB. She isn't even a fun fight, just annoying.

Focused Accuracy is a very expensive toggle, and its bonus is relatively small. Since you can usually get plenty of accuracy from set bonuses, it's not great just for that unless your build has a ton of extra endurance.

It does give very high resistance against tohit debuffs, which is sometimes useful, both on certain AVs and elsewhere.

On 1/22/2022 at 10:00 PM, Garrickwest said:

Hey everyone,

1) Is Focused Accuracy worth having?  Maybe.  Are you having trouble consistently hitting foes of the same level as the AV?  An AV in general is no harder to hit than a minion of the same level (in general they just hit you easier and much harder rather than the other way around).  Differences if any would or could exist based on their powers (or powers of the surrounding spawn).  Mako can use Elude, for example, but is no harder to hit than a minion the same level the rest of the time.  Bottom line is what @aetherealsuggested, monitor your last hit chance.  If it's 95% great.  If not then needs improvement in Accuracy or To Hit (or both) and I would be looking at combat logs to see if there were sudden changes or other indication the AV used some power or ability (like Mako popping Elude) to alter your chances.

What is the scrapper Max damage?  Way, way above what a solo Scrapper can reach on their own outside of chugging red inspires.  The thing you want to look at is your dps hence the suggestion to look at a "pylon" time.  That said most scrappers will generally have enough for most even level AVs.  It's fighting particular AVs and/or at +4 where it'll become more of an issue.

Soul Drain gives you both +to hit and +damage.  Make sure it hits and feel free to invite other foes to the 🥳.   Try to buff it for a single foe in range (i.e. just you and the AV)

Some ingame stats:

Other thoughts.  Midnight Grasp has an immobilize aspect.  Be sure to cap the damage but any buff to the Immobilize is an edge for you.  AVs when the PToD are up will be all but immune to most mez.  That most does not include immobilize or sleep.  Chasing AVs who aren't sitting still can put quite a dent in your dps.  Holds, Stuns other mez requires very high mag to be effective when the PToD are active.

Tohit and accuracy buffs are useful until you're at 95% chance to hit your target, then they're 100% wasted.  It's pretty easy to get to 95% tohit chance on +0 AV, so definitely skip FA if that's your only goal.  If you're fighting +4, it's going to depend on the rest of your build.  I would try to build without FA since it uses a lot of endurance, and if you can't manage to get to 95% tohit vs level 54s, then take it.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

4 minutes ago, Marshal_General said:

To me, FA isn't about how much accuracy it gives you, its about how much debuff resist it gives you.

You can have all the accuracy you need, until something takes it away from you.

This is very true.  But if there's one armor set it's not as true for it would be SR.  In almost all cases you have to get hit to get debuffed.  I have a hard time recalling the last time my Claws/SR got To Hit debuffed into a troublesome whiff fest.  Then again the build has 3 sources of To Hit buffs.  Follow Up, Kismet and if/when needed (or teaming) Tactics.  So like most things it'll come down to your build and to a lesser extent your willingness to miss and to simply take a few seconds to let the debuff fade away.

• Thumbs Up 1