Make Practiced Brawler a toggle

ladytania

I like practiced brawler as a clicky and not a toggle. 

It is one of the best status protection powers in the game as is.

Edited by th0ughtGun
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Find me on Everlasting or Indom as:
Marbing (Psi/Rad Corruptor), Fortunata Moon (Fortunata Widow), Dynanight (Fire/DM Tank), Timesync (Elec/Time Corruptor), Static Sparrow (Elec/TA Controller), Cryo Punk (Ice/Cold Controller), Chamelea (SJ/Bio Stalker)Sword Fist (Claws/SR Scrapper), Mangusuu (DP/Nin Blaster), Blink Shot (Beam/Martial Blaster), Ratchet Dog (Beam/Traps Corruptor), Phonoalgia (Pain/Sonic Defender), Powered (FF/Energy Defender), Nullpunkt (Rad/Kin Corruptor), Black Fate (Fire/Therm Corruptor), Mirror Mage (Ill/Dark Controller),Gravoc (Gravity/Energy Dominator), Mind Pyre (Fire/Psi Dominator), Nettlethorn (Plant/Thorn Dominator), Boggle Blade (Psi/Invuln Stalker), Kelvin White (Ice/Regen Stalker), Dead Haze (Katana/DA Scrapper), Echo Boom (Sonic/EM Blaster), Ceyko (Archery/Time Blaster), Sleep Doctor (Mind/Poison Controller)Nachteule (DP/Dark Corruptor)Fulgrax (Axe/Elec Armor Scrapper)Void Knife (DB/Ice Stalker)Tryptophan Zombie (Mind/Kin Controller)Indo Manata (WP/Staff Tank), Masuku (Claws/WP Stalker)Blackbright (Rad/Energy Sentinel), Bedlam Bane (Sonic/Poison Corruptor), Helena Black (Necro/EA Mastermind), Boom Ranger (Sonic/TA Corruptor), Grave Sentinel (FF/Dark Defender), Dead-Life (DM/Regen Brute), Red Gloom (Dark/Pain Corruptor), Marble Marbina (Thugs/FF Mastermind)

I'm going to have to disagree with this one. I don't think every mez protection power needs to be the same. Practiced Brawler gives better mez protection than toggle powers such as Fallout Shelter with the tradeoff of not being a toggle.

Capture.PNG.98df50f5d5ca5543ac71f595cae9832d.PNG

However, one thing that would be nice is to have a secondary layer of mitigation added to Practiced Brawler on each click. Perhaps some absorb or regeneration? 

Edited by Ston
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hrm.

Yes, this comes up a lot. 

How about, a general change to clickies such that, if and only if it could be clicked before it expires (i.e., perma, but would have to be tested every time, since 'perma' can be temporary and situational) then it auto-reclicks itself, until the player clicks it manually one more time. To compensate for this conveneince, auto-reclicking-powers would not stack with themselves.

Maybe auto-reclicking is a power setting like an auto-power, but only for clicked self-affecting powers, and no other powers; you still can only have one auto-attack this way, and you can't set a droppable toggle to re-up itself.

I'd also be happy to get a second auto-attack power, but I think that would be pretty abusable.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Andreah said:

Hrm.

Yes, this comes up a lot. 

How about, a general change to clickies such that, if and only if it could be clicked before it expires (i.e., perma, but would have to be tested every time, since 'perma' can be temporary and situational) then it auto-reclicks itself, until the player clicks it manually one more time. To compensate for this conveneince, auto-reclicking-powers would not stack with themselves.

Maybe auto-reclicking is a power setting like an auto-power, but only for clicked self-affecting powers, and no other powers; you still can only have one auto-attack this way, and you can't set a droppable toggle to re-up itself.

I'd also be happy to get a second auto-attack power, but I think that would be pretty abusable.

I think if you were to implement this, you would have to forego the additional mez protection that those powers come with. These powers have enough recharge to stack on pretty much any build. It might as well be a toggle if an auto-reclick mechanic is introduced. 

I just put it to recharges in it and and make it my autofire.

I don't recall feeling like I needed to put something else on autofire instead when I have a character that has practiced brawler. 

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

I don't really think it needs fixing. Most of my characters only have one power that needs to be constantly clicked, and they can be set to auto. Some have two, and the second is usually situational. 

But it would be a nice convenience if it could be balanced well.

Practiced brawler is fine as is. Not every mez prot power needs to be a toggle. It doesn’t need extra buffs to compensate. SR is in a good place overall, no changes are needed. I understand the annoyance of clicking it plus your hasten (which lets be honest that’s what this is about) every time it’s up and how you can lose track and we should have more auto clicky options, etc (which is a different discussion). But… I don’t think the change is entirely necessary as someone who has extensively played SR. I like the way it currently is despite the inconvenience of having to juggle PB and Hasten. 

• Like 2

Marbing (Psi/Rad Corruptor), Fortunata Moon (Fortunata Widow), Dynanight (Fire/DM Tank), Timesync (Elec/Time Corruptor), Static Sparrow (Elec/TA Controller), Cryo Punk (Ice/Cold Controller), Chamelea (SJ/Bio Stalker)Sword Fist (Claws/SR Scrapper), Mangusuu (DP/Nin Blaster), Blink Shot (Beam/Martial Blaster), Ratchet Dog (Beam/Traps Corruptor), Phonoalgia (Pain/Sonic Defender), Powered (FF/Energy Defender), Nullpunkt (Rad/Kin Corruptor), Black Fate (Fire/Therm Corruptor), Mirror Mage (Ill/Dark Controller),Gravoc (Gravity/Energy Dominator), Mind Pyre (Fire/Psi Dominator), Nettlethorn (Plant/Thorn Dominator), Boggle Blade (Psi/Invuln Stalker), Kelvin White (Ice/Regen Stalker), Dead Haze (Katana/DA Scrapper), Echo Boom (Sonic/EM Blaster), Ceyko (Archery/Time Blaster), Sleep Doctor (Mind/Poison Controller)Nachteule (DP/Dark Corruptor)Fulgrax (Axe/Elec Armor Scrapper)Void Knife (DB/Ice Stalker)Tryptophan Zombie (Mind/Kin Controller)Indo Manata (WP/Staff Tank), Masuku (Claws/WP Stalker)Blackbright (Rad/Energy Sentinel), Bedlam Bane (Sonic/Poison Corruptor), Helena Black (Necro/EA Mastermind), Boom Ranger (Sonic/TA Corruptor), Grave Sentinel (FF/Dark Defender), Dead-Life (DM/Regen Brute), Red Gloom (Dark/Pain Corruptor), Marble Marbina (Thugs/FF Mastermind)

Here's the revelation I had with my Ninjutsu scrapper (which also has clicky mez protection):  you don't actually need to click it every time it's up.  You don't need to put it on auto.  I promise.

I was chasing DPS, and decided I didn't in fact want to break up my attack chain just because my mez protection happened to be available -- especially since that would have resulted in significant double-stacking.  So I tried to get in the habit of checking to see if the power was available while I was going from spawn to spawn, and clicking when it was, and not clicking it during combat.

I wasn't perfect at keeping the coverage up, and occasionally I did get mezzed.  But not very often, because defense sets like the three that get clicky mez protection dodge most mezzes.  And when I did get mezzed, I just...  clicked my mez protect.  You can click it while mezzed, and it breaks you free.

Honestly, really, try this.  It makes the clicky protects much less of a chore, and it adds some layers of strategy to the game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, aethereal said:

Here's the revelation I had with my Ninjutsu scrapper (which also has clicky mez protection):  you don't actually need to click it every time it's up.  You don't need to put it on auto.  I promise.

I was chasing DPS, and decided I didn't in fact want to break up my attack chain just because my mez protection happened to be available -- especially since that would have resulted in significant double-stacking.  So I tried to get in the habit of checking to see if the power was available while I was going from spawn to spawn, and clicking when it was, and not clicking it during combat.

I wasn't perfect at keeping the coverage up, and occasionally I did get mezzed.  But not very often, because defense sets like the three that get clicky mez protection dodge most mezzes.  And when I did get mezzed, I just...  clicked my mez protect.  You can click it while mezzed, and it breaks you free.

Honestly, really, try this.  It makes the clicky protects much less of a chore, and it adds some layers of strategy to the game.

Here is a brilliant person who knows how to play SR/Ninjitsu, bravo sir/ma’am (idk), bravo!

I do the same thing with Clarion on my squishies. 

• Like 1

It's doubly true these days on HC since if you are mezzed you can then click and likely break the mez.  As far as this SR user is concerned making it a toggle would be a minor nerf since I can no longer stack my protection.  Would it ruin my day or SR if it was a toggle?  No, but it is not a change I'd welcome either.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, aethereal said:

I actually came here to comment this.

You don't lose anything by just clicking it when you need it.

If I were suggesting anything, maybe an added bonus *IF* you use it to break from a mez, like bonus accuracy or recovery for a moderate period or maybe a PBAoE knockdown to portray you breaking free of an enemy's grasp.

I like that it can double stack as a click power and with some effort you can have 2 powers on auto....sorta.

With a bind load file set to my move forward key.  It sets hasten to auto and then loads the next bind.  That bind sets practiced brawler to auto and then loads the previous bind.  Every time i press forward it switches what power is on auto.  It keeps both powers going most of the time.

The downsides are sometimes im not moving for awhile so one of the powers expires.  If i want a different power on auto it will revert to 1 of those 2 if i press forward (i probably should make a pair of macros for turning the bind on and off).  It will cast in combat when i dont want it to if i dont keep powers qued.  Setting up the bind files takes some time and know how.  An update to how binds work could break the functionality at any time.

Most of my characters that need something other then hasten on auto usually dont take hasten at all.  But i finally caved for my SR/energy melee tank.

Don't want to tag everyone, but the following quotes stuck out and I thought I would share a neat trick like the perma Domination bind without a rolling file

Its easy 😉

3 hours ago, ladytania said:

I would respectfully recommend changing Practiced Brawler from a clickie to a toggle to match with others like it.

2 hours ago, A Cat said:

Counter idea to try and satisfy both sides. Let us auto fire two powers as long as there are not damaging powers. 

1 hour ago, Andreah said:

Some have two, and the second is usually situational. 

1 hour ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Solution is: give other AT's using SR the same choice Sentinel SR gets with either Practiced Brawler or Master Brawler.

/bind w "+forward$$pow_exec_name XXX"

/bind d "+right$$pow_exec_name XXX"

/bind a "+left$$pow_exec_name XXX"

/bind s "+backwards$$powexe_name XXX"

Change XXX to what ever powers you want. (Practice brawler and hasten)

Hit W and you move forward, fire off first the power 

Hit D and you move right, fire off the second power

Hit A and you move back, fire off the third power

Hit S and you move left, fire off the fourth power

Both get the auto fire circle on the power but they swap.  I only use two forward and left since it feels more ergonimically natural.  All my dominators use the dominator keybind on W and D to fire off Hoarfrost.  No muss, no fuss no annoying bind files that give you grey hairs and ulcers.

Give it a shot, if you don't like it : /unbind W (or which ever key you use)

• Thumbs Up 3

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

Concerning the Sentinel treatment: Yes, this would be awesome. I'd happily have toggled mez protection from FF and FS and a click absorb shield on my SR users. They'd be even more unkillable which may be a solid reason not to do it.

Concerning PB usage as is: I auto hasten and since PB has the same duration. I'll watch hasten fire off, click PB, no double stacking, no waste of end.

Concerning only using PB when needed since it acts as a break-free, absolutely doable but please remember than knockback will reduce your DPS far more than clicking PB.

54 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Concerning only using PB when needed since it acts as a break-free, absolutely doable but please remember than knockback will reduce your DPS far more than clicking PB.

Indeed this is true most of the time.  Fortunately my main also has Tough slotted with 3 Glad Armor.  The first is the 3% def unique, 2nd yields +recovery and the 3rd is 3pts kb prot.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Difference being that shield *needs* to doublestack AD for DDR. I honestly can't think of many cases where dblstckd PB provides benefit.

Maybe they should nerf SR's DDR so that it benefits from this double stacking.... :classic_tongue:

Perhaps they've got content coming that will allow double stacking the mez protection will be a big benefit to you.

• Sad 1