Electric Armor - Great on a Brute?

Arcadian-Prime

So a friend of mine and I were talking. He knows I’m really interested in Electric Armor and suggested, if I do run it, that I should on a Brute. However, he couldn’t really give me any details as to why it pairs best with Brute 😂 so I thought I’d ask:

- What makes Electric Armor so good on Brutes? Ability to hit resistance softcaps? Damage aura for Fury? I do like that it provides protection against endurance drain. I read on here somewhere that Elec Armor is great for iTrials.

- What primaries pair well with it? My buddy has a Claws/Electric Brute, which seems great, but I’d want to do something different. Street Justice, Katana and Psi Melee both stood out to me, but I’d love to hear what works nicely with Electric Armor.

Damage aura is certainly a point in its favor.

On tanks, a lot of the resistance is over capped and therefore wasted.

Scrappers have lower resist caps, so also end up wasting value.

Brutes however can make better use of these values, hitting resist caps for SLE with little waste.

Edited by Onlyasandwich
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

9 minutes ago, Onlyasandwich said:

Damage aura is certainly a point in its favor.

Scrappers have lower resist caps, so also end up wasting value.

Brutes however can make better use of these values, hitting resist caps for SLE with little waste.

Didn’t even think about the overcapping on a Tanker. Great point

9 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

There is no "overkill".
There is only "kill" with successively greater confidence levels!

Funnily enough, my friend used your CEBR build for his brute. Since he did claws, I want to switch it up. What other primaries would your pair with an Elec Armor Brute?

Hopefully he liked it.

As to primaries?
Honestly, I'm a Tanker primarily.  I'm concerned with making you survive at all costs.
Damage?  I spend less time on that, and am PERFECTLY content to slowly sand off hitpoints over a period of several weeks.

I just try to get a mix of Melee, Ranged, TargetedAoE and PBAOE to maximize to beef up Defense and Resists.

I don't play enough at the moment to do the testing (and get a feel) for a "Proc" build.

• Like 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

4 hours ago, Arcadian-Prime said:

Funnily enough, my friend used your CEBR build for his brute. Since he did claws, I want to switch it up. What other primaries would your pair with an Elec Armor Brute?

Back on Live I had a wonderful DM/Elec. 

I have an Elec/Rad Tanker who struggled in terms of endurance until he could get the cooldown on Energize down sufficiently. On a Brute you would probably need to do the same with regards to Energize or suffer endurance issues as well. But as a plus you would have Fury backing your damage auras.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

Hopefully he liked it.

As to primaries?
Honestly, I'm a Tanker primarily.  I'm concerned with making you survive at all costs.
Damage?  I spend less time on that, and am PERFECTLY content to slowly sand off hitpoints over a period of several weeks.

I just try to get a mix of Melee, Ranged, TargetedAoE and PBAOE to maximize to beef up Defense and Resists.

I don't play enough at the moment to do the testing (and get a feel) for a "Proc" build.

I’ve ran Hyper’s CEBR and it is an absolute BLENDER. Although Claws probably synergizes best with a Scrapper, it fits best WITH Electric Armor on a Brute.

Along with Claws, maybe one of the +Def sets like Katana, Staff or MA?

StJ and Psionic seem great thematically 

• Thumbs Up 1

I run TW/Electric myself, which is pretty nice.

TW is a bit on the end intensive side, and Elec feeds that very well. Elec does involve a little clickiness with its heal, causing some redraw. Nothing too bad though, especially if you manage your momentum cycles well.

Other than that I think /Elec is just generically a solid resist based set with no super synergy to speak of. Its extra end tools can fuel hungrier primaries like Stone and TW.

The +def sets @StriderIV mentioned are worth considering so you can more easily build a defense layer - TW actually falls into this category as well, though Defensive Sweep is not quite as nice to put in your attack chain as some others. 

Edited by Onlyasandwich
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Onlyasandwich said:

I run TW/Electric myself, which is pretty nice.

TW is a bit on the end intensive side, and Elec feeds that very well. Elec does involve a little clickiness with its heal, causing some redraw. Nothing too bad though, especially if you manage your momentum cycles well.

Other than that I think /Elec is just generically a solid resist based set with no super synergy to speak of. Its extra end tools can fuel hungrier primaries like Stone and TW.

The +def sets @StriderIV mentioned are worth considering so you can more easily build a defense layer - TW actually falls into this category as well, though Defensive Sweep is not quite as nice to put in your attack chain as some others. 

Thank you. Katana/Elec seem like they could be a cool match. I just read that Katana is way better on scrappers and Elec is way better on Brutes… so I’m torn.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Arcadian-Prime said:

Thank you. Katana/Elec seem like they could be a cool match. I just read that Katana is way better on scrappers and Elec is way better on Brutes… so I’m torn.

I’m not sure on that. I would summon @Werner and @Linea who have both played Katana on Scraps and Brutes at the highest level. Hearing their thoughts would probably clear it up a bit.

1 hour ago, CloudMouse said:

I have an EM/EL/MU brute that im loving. keeps fury up, solid resists, self heal and aoe +end. It takes active managing but works well. 

Good advice!

I also think Kinetic Melee looks AWESOME, but I hear it is a low performing set (apparently on Scrappers at least). It might be decent on a Brute with ramping fury, or a Tanker who is using it more for Aggro.

• Like 1

I've got a Stone/Electric that's indestructible and hits like a freight train. The recent changes to Fault really helped the AoE damage.

• Thumbs Up 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

Don't sleep on Ice. 1. It is DoT heavy and Fury loves DoT. 2. Ice Patch is a huge boon in survivability. More so if you solo. 3. The damage isn't great, but it is solid and rarely resisted. 4. You can add in epics to further smooth out your attacks.

It should go without saying that Rad is an easy recommendation. There is the con of animation times for ST attacks. The pro is how good IG is on a Brute procced out.

Stone would also be good as Elec helps Stone. I like StJ and Kat. I have taken them to 50 on other ATs. I did have a Kat/elec Brute which I deleted for no real good reason. On the plus side, Kat cast times are all under 2 seconds, so you attack chain is going to fly. Kin isn't going to be better on a Brute. Psionic is a bit wonky in how it plays. Insight is random in being triggered and you will be locked out at times. Boggle does increase the chance for Insight, but that's only really more beneficial when soloing.

I've taken Claws to 50 three times. I might talk myself into a fourth. I even did it on a Brute and have no real qualms with it, BUT the Scrapper version is just better for two reasons. The recharge on Spin and slotting the ATO 50% proc into FU. I would honestly grab /stone, /ea, or /sr on a Scrapper and use Claws with that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

On 3/28/2022 at 9:59 AM, Without_Pause said:

Don't sleep on Ice. 1. It is DoT heavy and Fury loves DoT. 2. Ice Patch is a huge boon in survivability. More so if you solo. 3. The damage isn't great, but it is solid and rarely resisted. 4. You can add in epics to further smooth out your attacks.

It should go without saying that Rad is an easy recommendation. There is the con of animation times for ST attacks. The pro is how good IG is on a Brute procced out.

Stone would also be good as Elec helps Stone. I like StJ and Kat. I have taken them to 50 on other ATs. I did have a Kat/elec Brute which I deleted for no real good reason. On the plus side, Kat cast times are all under 2 seconds, so you attack chain is going to fly. Kin isn't going to be better on a Brute. Psionic is a bit wonky in how it plays. Insight is random in being triggered and you will be locked out at times. Boggle does increase the chance for Insight, but that's only really more beneficial when soloing.

I've taken Claws to 50 three times. I might talk myself into a fourth. I even did it on a Brute and have no real qualms with it, BUT the Scrapper version is just better for two reasons. The recharge on Spin and slotting the ATO 50% proc into FU. I would honestly grab /stone, /ea, or /sr on a Scrapper and use Claws with that.

Claws/EnA seems like a super popular build. I’m really torn between running that or Kat/EnA or Rad on a Scrapper myself.

Edited by StriderIV

• 2 weeks later
On 3/28/2022 at 9:59 AM, Without_Pause said:

I think I might try that Kat/Elec Brute sometime. For a Scrapper, do you like Energy Aura or Stone Armor more?

2 hours ago, Arcadian-Prime said:

I think I might try that Kat/Elec Brute sometime. For a Scrapper, do you like Energy Aura or Stone Armor more?

Stone on a Scrapper since it is more Def based. Scrappers get less out of Res based armors. I haven't looked at a Scrapper yet, but any Stone build I have looked at has looked really good number wise. It basically excels in not having much of a weakness. For kicks and giggles I tried to solo a mission on my Ice/stone Brute with EB level LR at +4/x8. I did die once after he spammed his summons well enough, but I've only T3ed the build and I need to pop a respect for a minor change in terms of a power slot for more Def.

I posted and realized you meant EA and not Elec. The only issue I have with EA is the Psy hole, but that can be dealt with easy enough with inspirs.

Edited by Without_Pause
  • Thumbs Up 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

18 minutes ago, Without_Pause said:

Stone on a Scrapper since it is more Def based. Scrappers get less out of Res based armors. I haven't looked at a Scrapper yet, but any Stone build I have looked at has looked really good number wise. It basically excels in not having much of a weakness. For kicks and giggles I tried to solo a mission on my Ice/stone Brute with EB level LR at +4/x8. I did die once after he spammed his summons well enough, but I've only T3ed the build and I need to pop a respect for a minor change in terms of a power slot for more Def.

I posted and realized you meant EA and not Elec. The only issue I have with EA is the Psy hole, but that can be dealt with easy enough with inspirs.

How does the Stone T9 work for Scrappers? It just completely invulnerable? Seems like it could be a good trick to pop and heal up and than keep scrappin haha

3 hours ago, StriderIV said:

How does the Stone T9 work for Scrappers? It just completely invulnerable? Seems like it could be a good trick to pop and heal up and than keep scrappin haha

That is my guess as well. You "phase out" and come back ready to scrap. I don't have a Stone Scrapper, yet.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

On 3/27/2022 at 4:26 AM, Onlyasandwich said:

It was recently realized/discovered that your resist value is also your resistance to -RES. Although your resistance to DAMAGE is capped, your resistance to -RES is not. As such, overcapping to 100% makes you immune to being debuffed in a way that isn't possible (At all, I think? Only with SR, if it can be done at all) against -DEF.

A Tank can hit a 90% damage resist cap and easily also push the number up to 100% to many more damage types than anyone else, becoming literally immune to any enemy trying to debuff it.

Edited by SaintD

The idiot formerly known as Lord Khorak

1 hour ago, SaintD said:

It was recently realized/discovered that your resist value is also your resistance to -RES. Although your resistance to DAMAGE is capped, your resistance to -RES is not. As such, overcapping to 100% makes you immune to being debuffed in a way that isn't possible (At all, I think? Only with SR, if it can be done at all) against -DEF.

Well we knew Res resists debuffs. But the fact that RDR isn't AT capped, and is always the un-debuffed Res figure was new-ish. 

To be honest if you're up around 90% as a Tank or Brute it won't make a huge difference overall (I tested it on an Inv Stalker versus a swarm of Wailers, where it mattered more). 

• Like 1

In general, Elec Armor is just one of the best resist powersets. Back on live, once Conserve Energy was changed to Energize, that was pretty much a wrap haha. Elec has a bit higher baseline resistance numbers, a heal, an endurance ability, and a +rech autopower. Generally a well-rounded resistance powerset. I've got a SS/Elec Brute I use as our primary tank on LRSF runs and he's been one of my favorite toons since 2008 (between live/homecoming of course).

• Thumbs Up 2