Top Secondaries for Fire

00Troy00

I realize there may not be a "best," but I'm open to different perspectives. 

I thought of Atomic, but never had a lot of experience with it.

I know I don't want a secondary that requires a great deal of button mashing so one that's maybe a little passive (or still effective without requiring taking a large number of powers) would be good.

Thanks all!

My Fire/atomic is only 24, but I did it for the +recharge and Fire's cast times. I like it more than it gets played only because I think of new alts like I breathe. I have a /temp at 50, and really like it so that would work as well. I have been thinking about /ta as I could light Oil Slick without needing to chase a way to do so.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

On 4/18/2022 at 4:54 PM, 00Troy00 said:

I know I don't want a secondary that requires a great deal of button mashing so one that's maybe a little passive (or still effective without requiring taking a large number of powers) would be good.

Thanks all!

Hmmm...  Not a lot of "button mashing" - more "passive" - it sounds more like you may want to play a Sentinel instead.  Pick a secondary "defensive" set and basically just use your primary.  Your damage output will be lower compared to a blaster, though.  But certainly would be minimal button mashing.  

But if you do want to play a Blaster with minimal button mashing and with some powers you can skip, you may want go /Devices.  There are skippable powers in the set (Smoke Grenade, Time Bomb, Taser - although, it does really good damage).  You can put out your Gun Drones and Caltrops and just fire blast away while "gunny" shoots (and has a minor taunt) and the "trops" makes things turn away from you.  Trip mines could be skipped too, but they're fun for ambushing mobs.  

If you want something a little more hands on, then pick whatever you want - Fire pairs with everything.

• Atomic is a great secondary - can't go wrong there.  
  • Martial is a LOT of fun
  • Fire is classic, deals a lot damage - can't go wrong there either
  • Ice has a patch which is perfect for Burn

• Dark can be fun and has Soul Drain

• Ninja is a cool combo and can also be fun - some great concepts can be made for it too

Don't forget the ever classic fire/elec!

This is the supreme combo if you want to maximize single target damage. Charged brawl and shocking grasp are some of the best dpa attacks out there, and havoc punch isn't far behind.

Edited by Onlyasandwich
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have a level 50 fire/atomic and it has been one of the most fun blasters I've made. It's a monster. There are probably better dps blaster combos, and better combos for survivability, but mine has 62.5% ranged def, 62.8% smash/lethal def and 72.3% energy def while chucking out a load of single target and AoE damage, so it's a bit of the best of both worlds for me. The secondary can be played passively if you want, just use the melee attacks, immob and hold as mules for set bonuses, but it's a bit of a waste doing it that way I think. But it is a very very viable combination however you want to play it.

Bopper: "resistance resists resistible resistance debuffs"

Arguably the best is Fire/Electric when built right, for the mitigation and +rchrg that /Elec provides.  I have Fire/Atomic as well and it is more offensive, potentially, but loses in mitigation.  Same for Fire/Fire from what i've read.  Fire/Elec feels to me like the best trade-offs for mitigation w/o losing power.  Using the constant KDs (to keep things in Rain of Fire, etc.) is so much fun.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/22/2022 at 1:04 AM, brasilgringo said:

Arguably the best is Fire/Electric when built right, for the mitigation and +rchrg that /Elec provides.  I have Fire/Atomic as well and it is more offensive, potentially, but loses in mitigation.  Same for Fire/Fire from what i've read.  Fire/Elec feels to me like the best trade-offs for mitigation w/o losing power.  Using the constant KDs (to keep things in Rain of Fire, etc.) is so much fun.

would love to see mids build on fire /elec. i've played fire before. never touched / elec. whats the deal?

2 hours ago, aaronares said:

would love to see mids build on fire /elec. i've played fire before. never touched / elec. whats the deal?

Fire/Elec is the first Fire/ Blaster I took to 50 on Homecoming. Had a Fire/Energy and a Fire/Psionic on live, both were great, but I think Fire/Elec takes the cake for the overall. It makes for a great Blapper set and offers a lot more utility than you'd think. Charged Brawl, Havoc Punch and Shocking Grasp are all great DPA and help round out your single target attack chain at all levels. Thunder Strike and Force of Thunder offer tons of damage mitigation and offensive power. Slap a KB->KD IO in Thunder Strike as well as a Force Feedback +recharge IO and you can flop baddies around routinely while also keeping a +100% recharge time bonus up. At lows levels this is borderline overpowered. I have 3 damage procs in Fireball and it has a decent uptime when you nuke mobs with Fireball + Thunder Strike. You also have a damage aura, which pairs nicely with the melee play style.

I'm sure there are builds that would work just as well, but /Elec just feels right. Tons of melee attacks, great AoE and a lot of ways too really boost your recharge. Power Sink helps a lot too, if you play aggressively you have a tendency to drain your end bar and Power Sink has come in clutch many times. I'd share my build but my gaming laptop is in need of repair right now. Blaze, Blazing Bolt and a 4 proc Shocking Grasp are the main ST attack chain, throw in a Havoc Punch here and there when you have gaps in the attack chain. Fireball, Thunder Strike, Inferno and Electrifying Fences with 4 procs is the AoE attack chain, as well as the damage aura. It's pretty disgusting when on a team with several players that are great at herding. Inferno + Fireball + Electrifying Fences + Thunder Strike all while the damage aura is going off is enough to kill almost any mob. 

The only downside is that the build has a bit of a higher skill cap being in melee range and having to really focus on position play. I frequently will pop a purple here and there if I am not on a team with buffs, but I also built my Blaster for damage and not defense. But if you play aggressively and can position yourself to maximize your melee AoE/KD powers you will get a lot of mileage out of it and really drop that recharge on Inferno down.

Edited by Camel

On 4/23/2022 at 5:19 PM, Camel said:

Fire/Elec is the first Fire/ Blaster I took to 50 on Homecoming. Had a Fire/Energy and a Fire/Psionic on live, both were great, but I think Fire/Elec takes the cake for the overall. It makes for a great Blapper set and offers a lot more utility than you'd think. Charged Brawl, Havoc Punch and Shocking Grasp are all great DPA and help round out your single target attack chain at all levels. Thunder Strike and Force of Thunder offer tons of damage mitigation and offensive power. Slap a KB->KD IO in Thunder Strike as well as a Force Feedback +recharge IO and you can flop baddies around routinely while also keeping a +100% recharge time bonus up. At lows levels this is borderline overpowered. I have 3 damage procs in Fireball and it has a decent uptime when you nuke mobs with Fireball + Thunder Strike. You also have a damage aura, which pairs nicely with the melee play style.

I'm sure there are builds that would work just as well, but /Elec just feels right. Tons of melee attacks, great AoE and a lot of ways too really boost your recharge. Power Sink helps a lot too, if you play aggressively you have a tendency to drain your end bar and Power Sink has come in clutch many times. I'd share my build but my gaming laptop is in need of repair right now. Blaze, Blazing Bolt and a 4 proc Shocking Grasp are the main ST attack chain, throw in a Havoc Punch here and there when you have gaps in the attack chain. Fireball, Thunder Strike, Inferno and Electrifying Fences with 4 procs is the AoE attack chain, as well as the damage aura. It's pretty disgusting when on a team with several players that are great at herding. Inferno + Fireball + Electrifying Fences + Thunder Strike all while the damage aura is going off is enough to kill almost any mob. 

The only downside is that the build has a bit of a higher skill cap being in melee range and having to really focus on position play. I frequently will pop a purple here and there if I am not on a team with buffs, but I also built my Blaster for damage and not defense. But if you play aggressively and can position yourself to maximize your melee AoE/KD powers you will get a lot of mileage out of it and really drop that recharge on Inferno down.

very cool. i make a rad/elec blaster inspired by this post. only thing i noticed the big aoe in elec. thunderstrike. only does good dmg to the actual target. the splash damage is WEAK AF! i suppose it would be more utility with procs. getting +rech. KD, n a dmg proc or two.

still trying to find a char i love that uses rad blast. currently leveling rad elec blaster. have made a rad time corr. considering poison rad fender. not sure which way to take rad blast

1 hour ago, aaronares said:

the splash damage is WEAK AF! i suppose it would be more utility with procs. getting +rech. KD, n a dmg proc or two.

It's worth noting that melee aoe procs will still trigger on the aoe splash for Thunder Strike, giving you a stronger aoe damage. The power itself is useful as a combination pseudo aoe and control power that still does respectable ST damage while serving those other purposes.

The real appeal here is the amazing melee attacks. Charged Brawl and Shocking Grasp are at the top of the heap for blaster DPA. Fire (or Rad in your case) already brings plenty of aoe heat to the table, so you don't really need to make up for it in your secondary. 

Edited by Onlyasandwich

18 minutes ago, Onlyasandwich said:

It's worth noting that melee aoe procs will still trigger on the aoe splash for Thunder Strike, giving you a stronger aoe damage. The power itself is useful as a combination pseudo aoe and control power that still does respectable ST damage while serving those other purposes.

The real appeal here is the amazing melee attacks. Charged Brawl and Shocking Grasp are at the top of the heap for blaster DPA. Fire (or Rad in your case) already brings plenty of aoe heat to the table, so you don't really need to make up for it in your secondary. 

mind looking over this build?

Blaster - Radiation Blast - Electricity Manipulation.mxd

If you want a secondary that can run with little button mashing - I'd pick energy melee.

My Fire/Em is the only blaster I've ever taken to 50, and he is what I was hoping for. Sustained and burst damage from the primary, aoe, and burst damage from the secondary.

Put energize on autofire for perma regen and never running out of end - I mean never running out of end again. Then just click boost range as it comes off cooldown and you have the range to easily stay at range blasting mobs with combat jumping, or you can mix it up in melee.

My guy has softcapped s/l defense and close to soft capped energy defense. With energize constantly regenning and the amount of sustained damage he puts out - he tears through mobs.

I want to say my Em/Inv scrapper can drop bigger hits, but no other toon I have pumps out as much sustained raw damage, and can do it ranged or melee.

• 2 weeks later
On 4/18/2022 at 1:54 PM, 00Troy00 said:

Thanks all!

Fire/ice would be right up your alley tbh.

You get a ton of passive mitigation from Ice's sustain toggle as it's 30' slow aura. It comes online early (level 10) and you can stack it with rain of fire for huge slows/area denial. This combo blooms real early so it exemps very well.

At 20 you get ice patch which got buffed recently and adds further to your dmg mitigation. Most the enemies around you will be slowed to a crawl, trying to scatter while tripping over your ice patch, letting you just blast away.

At 38 you can take frozen aura to supplement your aoe if you want. Frozen aura + fireball is quick to weave inbetween blasts while you wait for inferno to come of cooldown.

You can get away with taking very few powers from ice and get a lot of out of it. Ice as a secondary doesn't get enough attention imo, it's great for solo and team play. 

to me hands down fire/atomic this build specificly is my baby

Spoiler

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.1.1.2
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Radical Solutions: Level 50 Magic Blaster
Primary Power Set: Fire Blast
Secondary Power Set: Atomic Manipulation
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Flares -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(11)
Level 1: Electron Shackles -- Acc-I(A)
Level 2: Fire Ball -- Artl-Acc/Dam(A), Artl-Acc/Dam/Rech(7), Artl-Dam/End(7), PstBls-Dam%(9), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(9)
Level 4: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(11)
Level 6: Super Speed -- BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(A), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(13)
Level 8: Fire Breath -- Artl-Acc/Dam(A), Artl-Dam/End(13), Artl-Dam/Rech(15), Artl-Acc/Dam/Rech(15), Artl-Acc/Rech/Rng(17), Artl-End/Rech/Rng(19)
Level 10: Ionize -- RctRtc-ToHit(A), RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(17)
Level 12: Aim -- GssSynFr--Build%(A), RctRtc-Pcptn(23), RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(42)
Level 14: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Ksm-ToHit+(25), BlsoftheZ-Travel(27), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(27)
Level 16: Beta Decay -- AchHee-ResDeb%(A)
Level 18: Blaze -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(19), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(21), Apc-Dam%(21), GldJvl-Dam%(23)
Level 20: Metabolic Acceleration -- NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(A), NmnCnv-EndRdx/Rchg(31), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(31), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(31), NmnCnv-Heal(33), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(33)
Level 22: Kick -- ExpStr-Dmg/KB(A), ExpStr-Acc/KB(48), ExpStr-Dam%(48)
Level 24: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(25)
Level 26: Blazing Bolt -- StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg(A), GldJvl-Dam%(29), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx(36), StnoftheM-Acc/ActRdx/Rng(36), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), StnoftheM-Dam%(37)
Level 28: Atom Smasher -- SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(29), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(33), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(34), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(34), Arm-Dam%(34)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(40), ShlWal-Def(40), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(45)
Level 32: Inferno -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(37), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(39), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(42)
Level 35: Scorpion Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-Def(37), Rct-Def/EndRdx(43), Rct-ResDam%(50)
Level 38: Positronic Fist -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(40), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(42), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(45), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(45), Mk'Bit-Dam%(50)
Level 41: Negatron Slam -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(43), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(46), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(48), FrcFdb-Rechg%(50)
Level 44: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(46)
Level 47: Tactics -- HO:Cyto(A)
Level 49: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Defiance
Level 1: Brawl -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PwrTrns-+Heal(43)
Level 49: Quick Form
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon
Level 50: Task Force Commander
Level 50: The Atlas Medallion
Level 50: Portal Jockey
Level 50: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
Level 6: Speed Phase
------------

• Like 1