Change Confront and Assassin's Strike into a distance-closing attack

56 minutes ago, battlewraith said:

If this change went through and you lost your taunt, you would have options. You are rejecting this idea because it runs contrary to what you feel is essential to YOUR playstyle. And you are doing exactly what you are asking them not to do--you are forcing your preferences on other people who would like to have other options.

No, the change is forcing a change on everyone who *already has built this with existing powers* and is using it as currently designed. And is doing it in a way that has been *repeatedly explained* as being detrimental.

This is the sort of thing the cottage rule was first mentioned for. And know what?

The live devs tried this exact thing (power replacement) once before - when they were going to "update" the Patron pools and get rid of "unpopular" or "unused" (by whatever metric) powers and replace them with something else. You'll notice we have five powers in those pools (and others) now. The devs decided to go with five because they didn't feel like being tarred and feathered by *every player who was already using those powers as designed into those pools.* I was in that beta. Torches and pitchforks were being brought out.

The OP's suggestion removes functionality and *completely changes* what those powers do for something that is (A)unwanted, (B) not helpful and (C) duplicates functionality that can already be picked up in a power pool pick. In fact, it doesn't even "cost" a power, as the OP obviously doesn't want confront  - which means there's a freed up power pick there which can be used to pick up combat teleport, teleport, or (if they already are in the leaping pool) spring attack.  (Of course, it doesn't address the "And add it to assassin's strike, too!" which is just pants-on-head ridiculous.)

Also,  my defense of the status quo here and extreme dislike of the suggestion means *nobody's playstyle is changed.* Nobody has to dip into a power pool (and rebuild a build they already like, possibly a more extensive rebuild if they already have four pools chosen) to *retain functionality they already have.*

If you don't see the difference there, don't know what to tell ya.

Edited by Greycat

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Or we could just cut to the chase.

It's not worth consideration because it's just a bad idea.

• Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

11 minutes ago, ZeeHero said:

It's clear people can't or wont read so I'll spell it out one last time before I stop wasting my time arguing with people who have no intention of having any kind of debate.

jrangersmall.gif.61f0f73dd3687cc1ffd63cf8694b421f.gif

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

The first shots fired happened many posts ago and was not me. there are certain.... "people" who take it upon themselves to make others suffer becuase they take twisted pleasure in trolling.

I'm not angry at them, would I be angry at a spambot? would I be angry at a robocaller bot on the phone? no point. given the ability they have to evaluate a rational argument, its clear the amount of caring I should have as to what they troll about.

Edited by ZeeHero
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ZeeHero said:

It's clear people can't or wont read so I'll spell it out one last time before I stop wasting my time arguing with people who have no intention of having any kind of debate.

Because not every melee character can take teleport powers in concept, having combat teleport avaliable to everyone does not absolve the need for a gap closer.

Because it's a given in practically every other game with melee playstyles that melee has a gap closer, COH should also have a gap closer in every melee powerset, duh not always a teleport power, but a gap closer. Why? because to those who have ever played a game that isn't a 20 year old dinosaur like COH, it's essential and those of you arguing against it need some serious help, from a professional.

Because vehemently being against something which would make the vast majority of potential players enjoy the game more because... you can't even explain why it would be negative for anything, is beyond selfish and childish and infantile.

Because it would improve balance, and at worst, make other balance issues more obvious so they too, could be fixed.

If you are against that, I pray those who actually make these changes see how selfish and stupid that is, and heed those who actually know what they're talking about. and no I meant every word of that, you're not obligated to like it but it's the way it is.

Don't mistake my argument for basic, fundamental game design for wanting powersets neccesarily changed. This whole stupid debate (which isn't even a debate given one side isn't even listening) could be easily resolved by adding a new power pool lunge ability which is sufficiently generic, or allowing leap attack in jumping to be taken with 1 power or less in the pool rather than needing full investment.

Of course I know people would find a way to be against that too, god forbid we improve anything.

Any gap closer as requested in the OP is a teleport. So you are asking to have a teleport built into melee ATs so they don't have to take teleport since teleport does not work for their concept. Whether Savage Leap, Spring Attack, Lightning Rod, or Shield Charge, they are all teleports. All of them. So again, you are asking for a teleport because teleport is not thematically correct for the character to have. Which makes no sense.

As for using Combat Teleport? However you choose to define how the character gets there is up to you. Combat Teleport can be defined as the character running so fast the enemy doesn't seem them approach until the attack. (Edit: As already incorporated into Speed of Sound with Jaunt.) It can be defined as moving into another dimension to close with the enemies and then returning to the game dimension to attack. It can be defined as a near-instantaneous jump. It can be defined however you want. Mechanically? All your gap closers are teleports. Even the ones already in the melee power sets. So your argument makes no sense.

Edit again: And if you don't want the gap closer to be a teleport? Then you're looking at Sprint, Beast Run, Ninja Run, Athletics, Super Speed, or Super Jump. Which all already exist and are available. 4 of those without needing to take them as power choices. Edit's edit: And Fly, and Speed of Sounds mentioned earlier but not here, and Mystic Flight. Sorry, I forgot to include those. Just not Walk as that would take a while.

Edited by Rudra

19 minutes ago, ZeeHero said:

The first shots fired happened many posts ago and was not me. there are certain.... "people" who take it upon themselves to make others suffer becuase they take twisted pleasure in trolling.

Suffer? If someone disagreeing with you on an internet forum makes you think of the word suffer, then you do not know what that word actually means. The word suffer is associated with other words like pain, injured, bleeding, fear. Nothing posted on an internet forum can do that to you.

And what exactly do you mean by "people"? Do you not believe that I'm an actual human from Earth?

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

This whole stupid debate (which isn't even a debate given one side isn't even listening) could be easily resolved by adding a new power pool lunge ability which is sufficiently generic, or allowing leap attack in jumping to be taken with 1 power or less in the pool rather than needing full investment.

You mean like the Combat Teleport power that is a power pool that can be taken with 0 prior power picks from the pool that the OP does not want to take and just wants to fold into Confront?

I'm not opposed to a new power pool that has a different mechanic for closing. If that is what you want, build up the pool as a suggestion. That is entirely workable and would likely garner a great deal of support.

Edit: Or since it would still likely use the teleport mechanic, ask for alternate animations for Combat Teleport.

Edit again: Or a new power that for 2 seconds suppresses travel suppression and auto Fs to selected target, but cannot be used without a selected hostile target and only charges, dashes, flies, whatevers to the selected target.

Edited by Rudra

Because not every melee character can take teleport powers in concept, having combat teleport avaliable to everyone does not absolve the need for a gap closer.

Because it's a given in practically every other game with melee playstyles that melee has a gap closer, COH should also have a gap closer in every melee powerset, duh not always a teleport power, but a gap closer. Why? because to those who have ever played a game that isn't a 20 year old dinosaur like COH, it's essential and those of you arguing against it need some serious help, from a professional.

Because vehemently being against something which would make the vast majority of potential players enjoy the game more because... you can't even explain why it would be negative for anything, is beyond selfish and childish and infantile.

Because it would improve balance, and at worst, make other balance issues more obvious so they too, could be fixed.

If you are against that, I pray those who actually make these changes see how selfish and stupid that is, and heed those who actually know what they're talking about. and no I meant every word of that, you're not obligated to like it but it's the way it is.

Don't mistake my argument for basic, fundamental game design for wanting powersets neccesarily changed. This whole stupid debate (which isn't even a debate given one side isn't even listening) could be easily resolved by adding a new power pool lunge ability which is sufficiently generic, or allowing leap attack in jumping to be taken with 1 power or less in the pool rather than needing full investment.

Of course I know people would find a way to be against that too, god forbid we improve anything.

I will support alternative animations to the Teleport pool as a compromise so that concept concerns are addressed. Like, same thing but without the look of stepping out of a portal. Unless there’s anything else, I think we’re adjourned 🙂

Edited by arcane

2 hours ago, ZeeHero said:

Because you refuse to seem to understand, there is *no need for a gap closer.* If there were, it would be in the game as a standard melee power now. Yet people have been playing since issue 0 to 2012, some between 2012 and the server release, and from then to now without one.

This very obviously shows it is not a *need,* just a *want* on your part.

2 hours ago, ZeeHero said:

This is not "every other game." If it were, people would not have been so upset about COH closing and would have moved on to ... every other game.

If this is the crux of your argument, that "every other game" has it (show your work) so COH should, too? You have no argument and should quit while you're behind.

And with falling to insulting everyone else as "needing help from a professional" for not agreeing with you? Here's an idea. If you think everyone else is crazy... the problem may not be everyone else. You may want to take a nice, relaxing break.

5 hours ago, ZeeHero said:

Sure is sad how incredibly stubborn people are at defending NOT objectively improving the game in a way that hurts nothing and only helps people.

Exactly how does this Gap Closer/Confront power do anything for my scrappers (except removing some things I have in fact used Confront for in the past)?  Especially given none of them "teleport" as a form of movement in my role playing head canon and top it off that most of them would get to the mob faster than any potential new Gap Closer/Confront power is likely to achieve.  What is this objective improvement?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Greycat said:

The OP's suggestion removes functionality and *completely changes* what those powers do for something that is (A)unwanted, (B) not helpful and (C) duplicates functionality that can already be picked up in a power pool pick. In fact, it doesn't even "cost" a power, as the OP obviously doesn't want confront  - which means there's a freed up power pick there which can be used to pick up combat teleport, teleport, or (if they already are in the leaping pool) spring attack.  (Of course, it doesn't address the "And add it to assassin's strike, too!" which is just pants-on-head ridiculous.)

Also,  my defense of the status quo here and extreme dislike of the suggestion means *nobody's playstyle is changed.* Nobody has to dip into a power pool (and rebuild a build they already like, possibly a more extensive rebuild if they already have four pools chosen) to *retain functionality they already have.*

If you don't see the difference there, don't know what to tell ya.

The OP's suggestion is:

(A) Obviously wanted by someone or else they wouldn't have bothered posting it. 

(B) Maybe not helpful to you? I could see uses for it. 

(C) Duplicates functionality. Sure, with benefits that you are ignoring. And the idea that someone can just pick up a power pool is true in your direction as well. If you lose your taunt, just grab one from the pool powers.

The crux of the issue is not about defending the status quo so that "nobody's playstyle is changed." You're defending the status quo so that your build preference remains unchanged. Nothing about this suggestion means you can't taunt on your scrapper.

I haven't taken taunt on a scrapper in years. I can't remember the last time I teamed with a scrapper that was taunting. IMO to a lot of people, confront on a scrapper is a worthless power. So do you change it into something more interesting that frees up some build options or keep it the same for the faction that wants to keep things the way they have been from the onset. My vote is the former. That's me stating my preference. I get what your preference is. I don't fault you for wanting to have things your own way. But be honest about it. Don't crap on the idea and cop this attitude like it's somehow objectively bad and not worth discussing. If you don't want to discuss it, then don't. This game has gone through waves and waves of buffs, nerfs, and changes. Some were good, some were bad, and many were player driven. Some of these changes ruined the enjoyability of certain character builds for me. I didn't then park myself in the suggestions section and start pissing on ideas I didn't like. Not that you're the worst in this regard. On the contrary, I think you're one of the more reasonable posters on this board, but I think you're being very myopic here.

• Thumbs Down 1

9 minutes ago, battlewraith said:

If you lose your taunt, just grab one from the pool powers.

Read your own sentence a few times until you achieve understanding. 

Then re-read the *multiple* posts explaining the loss of functionality for something much *less* useful, and *why* it's much less useful.

Bonus points for reading my prior post re: the results of the live devs wanting to remove powers from patron pools.

What's funny is the position of your post, vs the post right above yours...

You:

I haven't taken taunt on a scrapper in years. I can't remember the last time I teamed with a scrapper that was taunting.

RIGHT ABOVE THIS POST:

Exactly how does this Gap Closer/Confront power do anything for my scrappers (except removing some things I have in fact used Confront for in the past)?

"I haven't seen it" doesn't mean "people don't use it."  Which also means the suggestion *would be removing functionality people are using actively.* Including me.  Me having to completely redo builds for someone whose argument is "well, other games have it?" No.

Edited by Greycat
Additional info.

1 hour ago, Greycat said:

Read your own sentence a few times until you achieve understanding. 

Then re-read the *multiple* posts explaining the loss of functionality for something much *less* useful, and *why* it's much less useful.

Bonus points for reading my prior post re: the results of the live devs wanting to remove powers from patron pools.

Again. Something maybe much less useful to YOU. The arguments about a gap closer being redundant are also completely missing the point. If I take this power or this power or another power, I can get there faster than a teleport. What if I don't want to take those powers? What if my build doesn't have vertical mobility and the gap closer fills that hole. What if I legitimately have some issues moving my character in other ways and want something to allow precision placement (again without being committed to the teleport pool)? I have a character with no +perception. If the gap closer was an aoe attack of some sort, it would help me deal with hidden targets. As it stands, confront does nothing for me. What if you found out that 95% of scrappers skip confront? Would you still be making this argument?

I read you prior post. I think the actions of the devs in that beta and the reaction of the players then is pretty irrelevant. This is a proposal to change (not remove) one power option.

Okay, let's try a different approach, @battlewraith.

I don't take or use aim. I have been told on occasion by other players it is a less than useful power and they would rather it was replaced by Build Up or another power. Are you okay with Aim being replaced? We have Tactics in the Leadership pool we can take.

I don't take the T9 power for most armors. I have also been told in the occasional chat that the T9s are useless. Would you be okay with replacing those?

I have been told while playing my MM that the T1 pets are useless and all MMs should take a more useful power in their place. Are you okay with replacing the T1 pets of MMs?

Pick any power common to an AT. Now ask if you are okay with replacing it.

If your answer to any of those is "No", then why are you so cavalier about replacing Confront?

It does not matter how many or few players take and use a power. Players are taking and using those powers. And this thread is asking to force those players to have to re-build their characters, maybe even completely re-plan their characters if they already have 4 pool sets on those characters, and you are fine with it because it does not negatively impact you.

As opposed to having players take the available powers to do what they want as is already incorporated into the game.

(Before anyone goes to crucify me for those examples, while the chats did happen, I am not saying to replace any of them. Sorry if that is the impression I am giving.)

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, battlewraith said:

If you lose your taunt, just grab one from the pool powers.

If you need a teleport, just grab one from the pool powers.

• Thumbs Up 3

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

32 minutes ago, battlewraith said:

IKR less options is more?

Are you seriously implying that you have a problem with the exact verbatim argument you yourself were just quoted making two posts up? I’m actually impressed, bold strategy 🙂 

[EDIT: to be fair, context suggests maybe you aren’t crazy about this argument yourself, but you are certainly in favor of *someone* having to reach into an extra power pool as long as it’s not yourself. My head is spinning.]

Edited by arcane

14 minutes ago, battlewraith said:

I read you prior post. I think the actions of the devs in that beta and the reaction of the players then is pretty irrelevant. This is a proposal to change (not remove) one power option.

To change it in a way that makes it *objectively worse.*

I, currently, can taunt one problematic mob out of a group. I do not need to take a power pool to do that. Turning this into a "closer" putting me *into the middle of the mob I'm trying to remove a problematic single mob from* makes that impossible. It is objectively worse.  If I wanted to move into the middle of the group, I would use... sprint. Or my travel power. Or combat teleport, which, if I feel is useful, I can take out of a power pool *and use as the situation demands.*

The nice thing is, my way... affects *nobody's current build.*  And keeps a useful power useful.  And no, I don't care what 95% of scrappers do or don't do. Loud people insist you MUST be perma-this, capped-that, take hasten in every build, etc. too. Strangely, the game is perfectly playable and enjoyable without any of that.  I don't care what any of *them* say, either.

Frankly, sounds like the OP needs to stop worrying about what other games do and play COH.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rudra said:

Okay, let's try a different approach, @battlewraith.

I don't take or use aim. I have been told on occasion by other players it is a less than useful power and they would rather it was replaced by Build Up or another power. Are you okay with Aim being replaced? We have Tactics in the Leadership pool we can take.

I don't take the T9 power for most armors. I have also been told in the occasional chat that the T9s are useless. Would you be okay with replacing those?

I have been told while playing my MM that the T1 pets are useless and all MMs should take a more useful power in their place. Are you okay with replacing the T1 pets of MMs?

Pick any power common to an AT. Now ask if you are okay with replacing it.

If your answer to any of those is "No", then why are you so cavalier about replacing Confront?

It does not matter how many or few players take and use a power. Players are taking and using those powers. And this thread is asking to force those players to have to re-build their characters, maybe even completely re-plan their characters if they already have 4 pool sets on those characters, and you are fine with it because it does not negatively impact you.

As opposed to having players take the available powers to do what they want as is already incorporated into the game.

(Before anyone goes to crucify me for those examples, while the chats did happen, I am not saying to replace any of them. Sorry if that is the impression I am giving.)

So first off, what I'm supporting in some way is replacing a power with basically the  same power. None of your examples are equivalent. Aim is not tactics. The T9 powers from sets are not available in pools. Nevertheless, I'm certainly open to re-evaluation of things like T9s, tier one pets, etc. Why would I not be? Because some players, despite what the general consensus of the community might be at this stage of the game insist on playing their characters the same way they have been for over a decade?

This is the part you don't get. People are already negatively impacted by the status quo, regardless of what the status quo is. There are things that are possible and impossible under the current state of affairs. So some people use their scrapper to taunt, which dates back to an era of the game when characters in general were far more squishy and taunting was more necessary. The general proposal here is to replace scrapper taunt with something more interesting--the specific proposal is a gap closer of some sort. This would open up build options and scrappers could still get the pool power version. It's up to the current devs to evaluate the pros and cons of enacting some sort of change like this. But it's not cavalier to want or expect things to change over time. Shooting down ideas based on their impact on niche playstyles--might as well not take suggestions relating to things like powersets. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, arcane said:

Are you seriously implying that you have a problem with the exact verbatim argument you yourself were just quoted making two posts up? I’m actually impressed, bold strategy 🙂 

[EDIT: to be fair, context suggests maybe you aren’t crazy about this argument yourself, but you are certainly in favor of *someone* having to reach into an extra power pool as long as it’s not yourself. My head is spinning.]

No, I suspect you're simply not following the argument.

• Haha 1

Just now, battlewraith said:

No, I suspect you're simply not following the argument.

If you don’t have a problem asking players to dip into a power pool, you have no argument. The OP even acknowledged that the entire case hinged on “having to pick a different power pool = bad”. If you don’t have a problem asking players to dip into a power pool, every single player has access to several gap closers already.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, ZeeHero said:

I come bearing glad tidings!  These options already exist.

Sorcery has Translocation baked into Mystic Flight.  A simple bind like ...

/bind BUTTON4 powexec_location target Translocation

(where BUTTON4 is one of my mouse thumb buttons, ymmv)

... turns Translocation into a Magic User's Gap Closer

This can also be done with Jaunt which is baked into Speed of Sound from the Experimentation pool. (which is sort of a jump like the Spring Attack animation, iirc)

Both of those can be taken with a single power choice.

I see no reason that a similar power could not be baked into Mighty Leap from Force of Will which, iirc does not currently have an additional effect like the other two origin pools. 

While they are marginally slower than Combat Teleport I think that's totally fine.  CT doesn't have the base range of the travel power based 'ports and it is from a dedicated pool rather than one with other combat abilities like RoP etc.  The pool investment warrants the speed reward granted to CT, imo.

Leaping also has the aforementioned Spring Attack which can be targeted like any other tele-nuke by using the above bind or similar.  Not sure that taking CJ/SJ to get there is a big deal.  Most of the time a scrapper is going to want those for the def sets in CJ and Winter's Gift in SJ.

If there is ever a Gadgets pool then something that goes all Scorpion on a fool and snares them to you could be cool, but would probably need to be its own t5 for the pool rather than baked into a travel like the other Origin pools. Of course that might be too derivative and what-not.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding Confront:

Back when there was a monthly discussion thread the topic was, coincidentally, Scrappers in early 2020 when I first found HC.  Turning Confront into a gap closer was discussed at length in that thread and was much the same as in this one.  Shortly after that the Teleport Pool was revamped, CT was born into the world, and all was well in Stych-land.

This ship has sailed.  Confront is probably never going to become a gap closing variation of CT.  Could it become something else? Maybe. Does it need to? Probably not.  If anything it should remain single target but increase Threat (and apply -range, I know Taunt does but not sure on Confront) to the point that nothing else can out-pull it.

Pools are where the gap closing powers go; there is room for more, but I would caution against adding one to Speed as we are then back to the problem of "Meta Pools" and enabling power creep in a fairly obvious way. Don't get me wrong, part of me would welcome having access to a CT clone in every scrapper primary as I have different builds on my scrappers from before it existed which were more durable than dropping a pool to gain CT. While incorporating a gap closer in the Speed pool (like the Origin Pool versions) would mean that "everyone" would just take that one because "everyone" takes Hasten on their scrappers.  And before someone chimes in all "Derp, I don't!" can it. That's why "everyone" is in quotes. 😛

In honesty this should be an Origin Pool perk, just need to figure one into Force Of Will and ensure that remaining Origin Pools added have one as well.

Regarding AS:

How is this not two threads? 😄

Skipped over much of the thread as I'm not qualified to comment on AS; however, No, Katana does not need a ranged attack.  Saw something about that in the scroll and ... just no.  Want a ranged attack and a Katana? Take an epic blast or snipe. That's why they exist.

• Like 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

1 hour ago, Greycat said:

To change it in a way that makes it *objectively worse.*

I, currently, can taunt one problematic mob out of a group. I do not need to take a power pool to do that. Turning this into a "closer" putting me *into the middle of the mob I'm trying to remove a problematic single mob from* makes that impossible. It is objectively worse.  If I wanted to move into the middle of the group, I would use... sprint. Or my travel power. Or combat teleport, which, if I feel is useful, I can take out of a power pool *and use as the situation demands.*

The nice thing is, my way... affects *nobody's current build.*  And keeps a useful power useful.  And no, I don't care what 95% of scrappers do or don't do. Loud people insist you MUST be perma-this, capped-that, take hasten in every build, etc. too. Strangely, the game is perfectly playable and enjoyable without any of that.  I don't care what any of *them* say, either.

Frankly, sounds like the OP needs to stop worrying about what other games do and play COH.

No. To make it *objectively different.*

It doesn't affect anybody's current build. The change is aimed at potential builds. The devs could simply not change anything ever again. That would also preserve your current build.

What I'm hearing is that the OP needs to stop worrying about what they want and spend more time worrying about what you want.

• Thumbs Down 1

5 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Also, there's this thing called "The Cottage Rule." I've been waiting to see if anyone would bring this up, and I'm disappointed that no one has. Particularly because people love to invoke The Cottage Rule when it doesn't actually apply.

I’ve been refraining but the thread’s newcomer is starting to make the elephant in the room too obvious to ignore… 

Edited by arcane
  • Like 1