Change Confront and Assassin's Strike into a distance-closing attack

1 hour ago, arcane said:

If you don’t have a problem asking players to dip into a power pool, you have no argument. The OP even acknowledged that the entire case hinged on “having to pick a different power pool = bad”. If you don’t have a problem asking players to dip into a power pool, every single player has access to several gap closers already.

It's not about, for me at least, getting a gap closer. Obviously, everyone has access to that. The part of the initial post that resonated with me related to replacing scrapper confront with a gap closer. The taunt is generally speaking worthless in the current state of the game. YMMV. Indulge me. Let's assume for the moment that it's worthless. The idea is then to make it into something more useful/interesting/etc. The OP suggested a gap closer. Now even if that revamped power is just a copy of combat teleport, it would free up certain power choices and allow an increase in build diversity. And it could potentially be different in some way that be better/funner/etc. than those pool power choices.  Scrappers would still have access to taunt via pools. 

The counter argument is "leave the power alone because some players still like using it." That could be said about anything. People are saying to just take the pool powers--well scrappers could take the pool taunt. The vitriolic response against that is a tacit acknowledgement of the OP's general concern. Taking a pool you don't want for something you think you need is a drag. My hot take is that there would be more overall benefit to scrappers in general from a revamp/replacement of the taunt power than keeping this outdated off-tank feature. The two perspectives are not equivalent and the way things are now is more restrictive and frankly boring.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, battlewraith said:

So first off, what I'm supporting in some way is replacing a power with basically the  same power. None of your examples are equivalent. Aim is not tactics. The T9 powers from sets are not available in pools. Nevertheless, I'm certainly open to re-evaluation of things like T9s, tier one pets, etc. Why would I not be? Because some players, despite what the general consensus of the community might be at this stage of the game insist on playing their characters the same way they have been for over a decade?

The point was that if a power is being taken and used by players, then you cannot simply ignore them for the sake of implementing change.

And what is "people are already negatively impacted by the status quo, regardless of what the status quo is. There are things that are possible and impossible under the current state of affairs." even supposed to mean in this conversation? Because the status quo is viewed negatively by some it should be changed without regard for those who view it positively, thereby simply changing who is negatively impacted? THAT is your reasoning?! Seriously?!

2 hours ago, battlewraith said:

No. To make it *objectively different.*

It doesn't affect anybody's current build. The change is aimed at potential builds. The devs could simply not change anything ever again. That would also preserve your current build.

What I'm hearing is that the OP needs to stop worrying about what they want and spend more time worrying about what you want.

Sure. It doesn't affect anyone's current build. Except for those using Confront already and with no desire to suddenly find themselves there with the enemies. Of course, we can just get taunt from the power pool. Which is fine. Except your "doesn't affect anybody's current build" ignores the builds that already incorporate it and then would need to be re-planned and respeced to recover their already available functionality.

Pulling from pool sets to get what I want is fine with me. That does not mean I am fine with you or the OP requiring me to do so so you can change how the game works to suit your preferences.

1 hour ago, battlewraith said:

The part of the initial post that resonated with me related to replacing scrapper confront with a gap closer. The taunt is generally speaking worthless in the current state of the game. YMMV. Indulge me. Let's assume for the moment that it's worthless. The idea is then to make it into something more useful/interesting/etc.

Let's assume for the moment it is not worthless. The idea then is to make it into something worthless for those already using it.

Do you have any arguments that are not so fallible or at least so inclined to ignore the fact it is currently being used by players even if you consider it an outdated holdover? Which by the way is your opinion and not a given.

Edit: Just for clarification? I would not actually be adversely affected by the change as swapping Confront for Provoke is simple for my characters. The only problem is Provoke has less range, less than half the duration, no draw target to you ability, can miss, and more than three times the recharge. In exchange for a radius effect. So not really a fair trade, thank you. You and the OP are still mandating anyone other than yourselves be required to pick and choose a pool set they already have incorporated into their builds to be removed to maintain functionality. And that functionality isn't even maintained with the proposed replacement. Your hypocrisy is difficult to answer.

Edited by Rudra

1 hour ago, Rudra said:

The point was that if a power is being taken and used by players, then you cannot simply ignore them for the sake of implementing change.

And what is "people are already negatively impacted by the status quo, regardless of what the status quo is. There are things that are possible and impossible under the current state of affairs." even supposed to mean in this conversation? Because the status quo is viewed negatively by some it should be changed without regard for those who view it positively, thereby simply changing who is negatively impacted? THAT is your reasoning?! Seriously?!

You have a history of powers being taken, used by players, and then changed throughout the history of this game. I shouldn't have to details nerfs and changes that have transpired in the game. The simple fact that players might be using a power does not make that power sacred and immune from future changes, That has never been the case.

The comments about the status quo relate to the sense of entitlement people have about their builds. You might like the way things are structured now. That doesn't mean that there isn't a better way to structure things-one that may be blocked by how things are structured now. Improving the game should be the number one priority. That should take into account how players feel about the current mechanics, but development shouldn't be stymied by people who basically only care about what they want and don't want to be impacted by ANY change.

1 hour ago, Rudra said:

Sure. It doesn't affect anyone's current build. Except for those using Confront already and with no desire to suddenly find themselves there with the enemies.

Yeah...when I said "it doesn't affect anyone's current build" I was referencing something he said. Maybe go back and read it.

2 hours ago, Rudra said:

Let's assume for the moment it is not worthless. The idea then is to make it into something worthless for those already using it.

No, not necessarily. It will be worthless as a taunt. Depending on the implementation it could be a cool power

option. Some people might skip it, others might (gasp) adapt their playstyle.

2 hours ago, Rudra said:

Do you have any arguments that are not so fallible or at least so inclined to ignore the fact it is currently being used by players even if you consider it an outdated holdover? Which by the way is your opinion and not a given.

Is there a reason I should be trying to convince you? My impression is that you like to hold court over the suggestions thread and give people grief over their ideas. Remember the "monkey themed mastermind" thread? Where you kept saying things like "pass", "hard pass", "no thanks", etc. until the poster was so disgusted they swore off their own post and had it deleted? That was you wasn't it? People get all excited about an idea, come here to share it, and get shot down by the usual suspects. And you never leave, despite getting people's hopes up:

Less fun? Like the couple of seconds it takes to close with an enemy? *sigh* I'm going to heed Widower's advice. I'm dropping out of this thread.

And from April 28 to May 4, I did stay out of the thread. If my giving my opinion is me holding court over the suggestions thread, then I'm curious as to how you view anyone else. Scratch that, it doesn't matter.

You keep arguing for things to change. And things will change. And the devs will always try to make things better. Your request for change however, steps on the people playing the game using powers you think are useless. Powers get nerfed and buffed routinely. They do not get overhauled into something that does not resemble their prior application. Not after launch at least. That is a problem of games like CO. They are always changing how their powers work. That requires the player to completely re-visit how their characters are built. Which is what you are asking for. (Edit: And is one of many reasons I stopped playing that game.)

This thread does that as well. The game already gives the ability to do what this thread requests. Changing the game to do something it already does makes no sense. Especially when the sole purpose of the change is so the OP can keep using the Fab 4 pool sets and not have to decide how to incorporate a function he wants without giving up something else he wants.

Edit again: Do you have anything to say about Provoke not being a suitable substitute or replacement for Confront?

Edited by Rudra

If you just want Confront to be more interesting, then how is this: add a move speed buff to the target of Confront that lasts 2 seconds and give the target the ability to ignore other mobs to close with the scrapper for that duration. Maybe even give the target a damage buff with a to hit debuff to reflect the target's anger at the scrapper. The damage buff and tohit debuff can last for the entire duration of Confront.

• Like 1

Guess I'll throw my 2 cents in here, since I take confront on most of my Scrappers:

While confront is very situational, it's very useful to have - both for pulling a problematic mob from a new group (not all teams have ranged attacks), and for recovering a loose enemy that broke through your line ( 'cause sometimes the team's running challenging content, and I end up being an off-tank.)

In either of those cases, a "gap-closer" replacement would be *so much worse* than a taunt - one scenario gets me killed, the other frees up all the mobs I already have in my aggro aura.

Could Confront be improved?  Absolutely.  Making Confront move me to my target?  That's not an improvement, it's a trade-off (and I don't see it as a good trade, either).

If you must have a gap-closer, perhaps attaching it to one of the early attacks (T1 or 2) may be a better option, since those normally have to be done in Melee range anyways.

5 hours ago, battlewraith said:

The vitriolic response against that is a tacit acknowledgement of the OP's general concern.

The responses aren't negative because we're opposed to using pool powers, they're negative because the fundamental argument, the very foundation of the proposal, is, "I shouldn't have to take a pool power to do something, but everyone else should.  Change the game so I can have more options, even if it's accomplished by taking options away from others.  Give me the ability to have everything I want in a single package and to hell with the intended and designed limitations of the game, those should only apply to other players."

6 hours ago, battlewraith said:

Taking a pool you don't want for something you think you need is a drag.

But making other people take a pool power for something they think they need, and previously had but lost because a few players threw temper tantrums about having to follow the same game rules as everyone else, is cool.

Yeah...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

1 hour ago, Luminara said:

The responses aren't negative because we're opposed to using pool powers, they're negative because the fundamental argument, the very foundation of the proposal, is, "I shouldn't have to take a pool power to do something, but everyone else should.  Change the game so I can have more options, even if it's accomplished by taking options away from others.  Give me the ability to have everything I want in a single package and to hell with the intended and designed limitations of the game, those should only apply to other players."

Well that's your exaggerated and judgmental hot take. Best to shoot down an idea you don't like by casting aspersions on the people suggesting it.

The idea here is that there is a scrapper power that is generally skipped in builds, and is described by adherents as niche but useful. The suggestion is to change that into a gap closer. The proposed benefit is a possibly useful less niche power and expanded build options. The downside is that players who like having a single target taunt in their scrapper builds would lose this and have to go with a pool option. How many people would that be? Would the benefits outweigh the drawbacks? Those are questions for the devs. It's a suggestion. You don't like it, fine. You stated that. The fact that you think people are throwing temper tantrums over this (though maybe Greycat did) makes me suspect that you don't get enough pushback on your ideas.

• Thumbs Down 1

20 minutes ago, battlewraith said:

Well that's your exaggerated and judgmental hot take. Best to shoot down an idea you don't like by casting aspersions on the people suggesting it.

The people supporting the idea have said, "I shouldn't have to take a pool power because <REASONS!>", and "Other people should have to take a pool power because <REASONS!>".  These comments were made.  Not implied, not inferred, outright stated.  Pointing out the monumental hypocrisy of bitching because you have to take a pool power to do something, and simultaneously declaring that other people should have to take a pool power to do something just so you don't have to, is not exaggeration or casting aspersion, it's highlighting the arrogance of the tiny minority who made those statements.

If you shouldn't have to take a pool power to do something, then neither should anyone else.  If "they can just take a pool power" is sufficient justification for your request to change the tame so you don't have to take a pool power, then your justification is applicable to your own request, you can can just take a pool power.  Expecting the game to change to suit your whims, and everyone to meekly submit because it's what you want, is arrogant, entitled and selfish.  And that's not judgmental, it's objective observation.

You are not the center of this world.  Deal with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

2 hours ago, Akisan said:

If you must have a gap-closer, perhaps attaching it to one of the early attacks (T1 or 2) may be a better option, since those normally have to be done in Melee range anyways.

Nope.  Nice to see alternatives, but nope.  There are already 3 available power pools with a gap closing tool within them, 4 if we're counting Spring Attack.  There's no reason to change any scrapper primary powers for this purpose.

Look folks.  I was as big an advocate as anyone else for this idea right up until Combat Teleport dropped onto Beta.  It is just not a needed change.  We have these tools already.

The proposed benefit is a possibly useful less niche power and expanded build options.

My friend, you are talking a very long walk around the bush of "I want to take Combat Teleport without Sacrificing my Meta Pools!" by using words like "expanded build options."  Let it go.

Advocate for more gap closing power options in existing pools and for the completion of the Origin Pool schema because changing Confront into Combat Leap or whatever just isn't going to happen.  Sorcery, Experimentation, Leaping, and Teleport pools exist.  Yes, we "all" "yearn" for the days of taking Speed, Leaping/Flight, Fighting, and Leadership pools on "everything," but that is not "expanded build options" it is merely returning to the "Meta Pool" schema.

Putting gap closing powers into pools does expand both build options and build constraints.  Constraints foster creativity and variety as players find ways to work within and around them.

7 minutes ago, Luminara said:

The people supporting the idea have said, "I shouldn't have to take a pool power because <REASONS!>", and "Other people should have to take a pool power because <REASONS!>".  These comments were made.  Not implied, not inferred, outright stated

Truth. These comments are thinly veiled ways of saying "I shouldn't have to take a power pool to get Combat Teleport, other people should have to take a power pool to get Confront because that way I can go back to having my Meta Pools."

Aside from everything that's already been said about why that's nonsense, it is somewhat disingenuous.  Folks who are making this argument should just be honest about what they want.  Combat Teleport, Hasten, Tough, Weave, CJ(or)Hover, and Maneuvers.  The reason to walk around it is because that's just not going to happen.

Edited by InvaderStych
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

Also, threads like this literally make me think wacko bitter thoughts like a couple of power pools probably need to be nerfed into the ground. NOT because I actually want that for my characters. But  because clearly their present state has driven a portion of the populace to such madness that those people literally don’t think they’re allowed to choose their own power pool picks anymore.

This whole thread is kinda dildos.

I'll be the first to admit that for the vast majority of my characters, there are only four regular pools. Fighting (Boxing, Tough, Weave,) Leaping (Combat Jumping,) Speed (Hasten,) and Flight (Fly, Hover, sometimes that last power as an LotG mule that gets deleted from the tray.)

I took Confront for the first time since maybe Issue 2 on my new claws/stone scrapper specifically because of the ridiculous rate at which enemies are running away these days. It was, indeed, useless. Sure, it might keep one runner from rabbiting but some of the time it had absolutely zero effect and they just kept on goin. Provoke was better (had to drop CJ for it) but it, too, failed completely from time to time and isn't even autohit.

So, I get where the OP is coming from but I still can't agree with the requested change. It's just ridiculously unnecessary considering all the varied ways we can already get around the battlefield quickly and the devs could use that time/energy are far more important items...

Like un-assing the "I'm now terrified so I'm gonna run to the next freakin map" issue they created. As for the new claws/stone scrapper? Seems he's heading for the chopping block. Maybe I'll do some graniteless stone/somethin tank instead.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Luminara said:

The people supporting the idea have said, "I shouldn't have to take a pool power because <REASONS!>", and "Other people should have to take a pool power because <REASONS!>".  These comments were made.  Not implied, not inferred, outright stated.  Pointing out the monumental hypocrisy of bitching because you have to take a pool power to do something, and simultaneously declaring that other people should have to take a pool power to do something just so you don't have to, is not exaggeration or casting aspersion, it's highlighting the arrogance of the tiny minority who made those statements.

If you shouldn't have to take a pool power to do something, then neither should anyone else.  If "they can just take a pool power" is sufficient justification for your request to change the tame so you don't have to take a pool power, then your justification is applicable to your own request, you can can just take a pool power.  Expecting the game to change to suit your whims, and everyone to meekly submit because it's what you want, is arrogant, entitled and selfish.  And that's not judgmental, it's objective observation.

You are not the center of this world.  Deal with it.

This is you being a drama queen. That is the objective truth. 

Pretty much everyone has to take pool powers to do things and this entails limitations in building. The idea idea of doing something to a power that is very skippable to make it a more attractive pick and free up build options seems like a good suggestion. For the devs. IN A SUGGESTION FORUM. Supporting a suggestion like this is not "expecting the game to change to suit my whims." I don't expect anything. And sidestepping the shrieking harpy who lacks the capacity to see how anyone  could actually reasonably want something like this is not me being arrogant, entitled, and selfish. It's just Thursday on the Homecoming forums. Lighten the hell up lol.

• Thumbs Down 2

1 hour ago, InvaderStych said:

My friend, you are talking a very long walk around the bush of "I want to take Combat Teleport without Sacrificing my Meta Pools!" by using words like "expanded build options."  Let it go.

No that's the thing. It's not about combat teleport. People just assume that and say "well take combat teleport." That's how stupid this conversation has been.

What exactly this gap closer is and does has not been really adequately been fleshed out. In an ideal world people would steelmanning this idea and maybe coming up with some interesting suggestions that, if not appropriate for this case might be added elsewhere. Instead you get naysayers just defaulting to a known quantity (eg. combat teleport) and just trying to kill off discussion because they apparently think that's the ideal contribution. 

7 minutes ago, battlewraith said:

No that's the thing. It's not about combat teleport. People just assume that and say "well take combat teleport." That's how stupid this conversation has been.

What exactly this gap closer is and does has not been really adequately been fleshed out. In an ideal world people would steelmanning this idea and maybe coming up with some interesting suggestions that, if not appropriate for this case might be added elsewhere. Instead you get naysayers just defaulting to a known quantity (eg. combat teleport) and just trying to kill off discussion because they apparently think that's the ideal contribution. 

Even if I liked the idea I would be against it being any more that basically Combat Teleport. Because Scrappers certainly do not need more attacks or utility. Because providing that kind of buff to an already top tier AT is a whole nother level of bad idea.

• Lead Game Master
11 hours ago, InvaderStych said:

I see no reason that a similar power could not be baked into Mighty Leap from Force of Will which, iirc does not currently have an additional effect like the other two origin pools. 

IIRC, Mighty Leap has a PBAoE KD effect when you take off called... uhm, "Take Off", which also increases jump height/speed. Whether that's actually useful or not, I'll leave up for debate.

And also, holy heck guys, it's gotten a bit heated in here, can we cool it down a notch?

Edited by GM Impervium
spelling
  • Thanks 2

GM Impervium
Homecoming FAQ; Need a hand? File a Support Ticket! Want to lend a hand? Apply to be a GM!

44 minutes ago, battlewraith said:

That is the objective truth. 

Also the irrefutable, objective, supported-by-evidence truth:

(1) you have over and over taken the position that you don’t like the proposed solution of simply picking up your preferred gap closer from a power pool because you don’t want to have to invest one of your 4 power pool picks for that. You want something added to Scrapper primaries instead (which does not yet exist and is not yet being enjoyed by any players). I don’t love this argument on its own but then…

…(2) you have over and over suggested to those that want to keep Confront (which already exists and is enjoyed by some players apparently)… that they simply pick up a comparable power from a power pool and address their issue by investing one of their 4 power pool picks. As if that wasn’t enough……

……(3) you have over and over acted completely oblivious to the  transparent hypocrisy and undeniable selfishness of simultaneously taking both positions (1) and (2), and it’s completely mind boggling that you apparently think this is a good look. 

You are simultaneously claiming that “just pick up a pool power” is both a problem with a solution and a solution to a problem. Trying to comprehend how this can be a good faith argument has my brain twisted into a pretzel and you need to explain much better if you hope to convince anyone.

As Bill said: dildos.

Edited by arcane
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, arcane said:

Also the irrefutable, objective, supported-by-evidence truth:

(1) you have over and over taken the position that you don’t like the proposed solution of simply picking up your preferred gap closer from a power pool because you don’t want to have to invest one of your 4 power pool picks for that. You want something added to Scrapper primaries instead (which does not yet exist and is not yet being enjoyed by any players). I don’t love this argument on its own but then…

…(2) you have over and over suggested to those that want to keep Confront (which already exists and is enjoyed by some players apparently)… that they simply pick up a comparable power from a power pool and address their issue by investing one of their 4 power pool picks. As if that wasn’t enough……

……(3) you have over and over acted completely oblivious to the  transparent hypocrisy and undeniable selfishness of simultaneously taking both positions (1) and (2), and it’s completely mind boggling that you apparently think this is a good look. 

As Bill said: dildos.

1. Wrong. My position is that confront is lame and something cooler could be there as an option. If the option in question is a gap closer, that could free up some build options. 

2. I have over and over again reflected back the same "you can just pick X pool" argument back at you. You and others fail to see that it cuts both ways simply because you are used to things being a certain way. 

3. Well you have to understand. I think you just have such an ingrained status quo mindset that you don't really get the point I'm trying to make. I also really really couldn't care less what you think my look is. 

Also: get Bill's dildos out of your mouth. This is a family friendly forum.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, GM Impervium said:

IIRC, Mighty Leap has a PBAoE KD effect when you take off called... uhm, "Take Off", which also increases jump height/speed. Whether that's actually useful or not, I'll leave up for debate.

I stand potentially corrected! Thanks!  Doesn't that one KD mobs when the toon leaps away from them? Or does it work like Jaunt or SA?  In general the origin versions could stand to have activation times shaved, but those are probably tied to the animations so ... 🤷‍♂️

No that's the thing. It's not about combat teleport.

Please don't be obtuse for the sake of continuing this nonsensical argument.  There are 4 (maybe 5) different options available for creating a gap closer among various power pools.  Please stop talking around your desire to get one of those options without sacrificing a precious "Meta Pool".  It is not going to happen.  That ship sailed two years ago.  Either use one of the available gap closing options or don't.

17 minutes ago, battlewraith said:

Dude, settle down. Seriously. Completely unnecessary.

Edited by InvaderStych

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

12 minutes ago, battlewraith said:

1. Wrong. My position is that confront is lame and something cooler could be there as an option. If the option in question is a gap closer, that could free up some build options. 

2. I have over and over again reflected back the same "you can just pick X pool" argument back at you. You and others fail to see that it cuts both ways simply because you are used to things being a certain way. 

3. Well you have to understand. I think you just have such an ingrained status quo mindset that you don't really get the point I'm trying to make. I also really really couldn't care less what you think my look is. 

1. Uh, no, you and the other folks have literally stated that it would be nice to not have to dip into a power pool. Do you need people to quote things at you again.

2. It would work both ways if our positions were equal. But the Cottage Rule plainly dictates that precedence is given to that functionality which already exists, so “no u” doesn’t work here because the burden is entirely on you to explain why Scrappers are in such a dire place that we need to completely take a core functionality of a power out of a set completely.

3. K

If your position was really only that Confront is lame, we could simply go back to the discussion of adding a debuff or other secondary mechanic - that’s how you change powers without taking core functionalities away from players…

RE: Bill, I too have noticed that on a fire brute that some mobs will simply never stop running wild, even if you use Taunt on them over and over. I simply have to go back to those when they stop running wild and it’s a minor annoyance. Either Threat is busted or never intended to have a 100% success rate…

Edited by arcane

5 minutes ago, Sakura Tenshi said:

Can we all agree before any of this stuff to Assassin’s Strike happens… it needs the long version from hide needs to become Autohit when buildup is used in PvE? Just so disappointing to be like “HERE COMES THE PAIN TRAIN!!!” And whiff.

We have plenty of time to agree before this happens because it will never happen.

Maybe reset its cooldown if you are hidden and miss since the enemies arent alerted.

46 minutes ago, InvaderStych said:

I stand potentially corrected! Thanks!  Doesn't that one KD mobs when the toon leaps away from them?

Nope. It works just like Foot Stomp, only no damage. I actually have a StJ/Willpower Brute who uses that pool power in combat just because it's hilarious.

48 minutes ago, InvaderStych said:

Dude, settle down. Seriously. Completely unnecessary.

Dude, he was clearly joking here. Someone else used that word in this thread, and then someone else repeated it, and then he jokingly referred to it.

7 minutes ago, Sakura Tenshi said:

Can we all agree before any of this stuff to Assassin’s Strike happens… it needs the long version from hide needs to become Autohit when buildup is used in PvE? Just so disappointing to be like “HERE COMES THE PAIN TRAIN!!!” And whiff.

Now that's a suggestion that I agree with!

• Thumbs Up 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.