Howling Twilight Question

High_Beam

Since this power applies to Corruptors, Defenders, MMs and Controllers I thought I would ask it here because I cannot find a clear answer; 

Does it require there be a dead ally to activate or can you fire it without it?

I know it talks about certain aspects of having to be near the fallen ally to rez, but doesn't say if the other aspects of the power (i.e. the debuff and stun) will still go off if there is no fallen ally, as in using it for non-rez purposes?.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

Oh my, sir or maam you just made my day and me a little bit tingly thinking about my Demon/Dark MM and the changes I am gonna make 🙂

• Haha 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

2 hours ago, High_Beam said:

Since this power applies to Corruptors, Defenders, MMs and Controllers I thought I would ask it here because I cannot find a clear answer; 

Does it require there be a dead ally to activate or can you fire it without it?

I know it talks about certain aspects of having to be near the fallen ally to rez, but doesn't say if the other aspects of the power (i.e. the debuff and stun) will still go off if there is no fallen ally, as in using it for non-rez purposes?.

Very much is usable as a Stun that just happens to rez teammates.

• Like 2

Death is the best debuff.

10 hours ago, Errants said:

Very much is usable as a Stun that just happens to rez teammates.

It has a very high end cost and recharge rate to simply be used as a disorient, but I know players that insist that it is a disorient and not a team rez power.

• Thumbs Up 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

21 hours ago, arcane said:

I just slot it two recharge IO’s to optimize its use as my big bad -regen power when soloing AV’s on Ill/Dark. No dead dudes needed.

I had originally planned to slot Howling Twilight with two 50+5 IO recharges and a Hami-O with some extra Accuracy (for %procs) , but by that point it was easier to commit to some -/Recharge 50+5 Very Rare pieces. It takes both Absolute Amazement and Ragnarok.

Edited by tidge
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

It has a very high end cost and recharge rate to simply be used as a disorient, but I know players that insist that it is a disorient and not a team rez power.

Actually in terms of endurance it's not all that heavy over time.  Mostly because it has a relatively long recharge.  It costs twice what Dark Pit costs per cast but has 3 times the recharge.  Similar story with Fearsome Stare (40 sec recharge, 8.528 endurance per cast vs 180 sec, 26 endurance).  It'll just drop your end by a big chunk on a less frequent basis so it can catch you if your endurance tends to go low before one uses whatever means the build has to refill.  It also debuffs on top of the mez

17 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Actually in terms of endurance it's not all that heavy over time.  Mostly because it has a relatively long recharge.  It costs twice what Dark Pit costs per cast but has 3 times the recharge.  Similar story with Fearsome Stare (40 sec recharge, 8.528 endurance per cast vs 180 sec, 26 endurance).  It'll just drop your end by a big chunk on a less frequent basis so it can catch you if your endurance tends to go low before one uses whatever means the build has to refill.  It also debuffs on top of the mez

sure. You made my point.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 6/23/2022 at 7:16 AM, UltraAlt said:

It's fun, I keep finding players that insist that HT is a rez power and not a massive debuff and aoe stun 😛 

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, UltraAlt said:

sure. You made my point.

I guess.  It's a spike of end use vs endurance use over time.  That is it'll cost you more over time to use Fearsome Stare every time it's up over the course of a mission than HT but each single use of HT costs more than a single use of Fearsome Stare.

21 minutes ago, Doomguide2005 said:

I guess.  It's a spike of end use vs endurance use over time.  That is it'll cost you more over time to use Fearsome Stare every time it's up over the course of a mission than HT but each single use of HT costs more than a single use of Fearsome Stare.

Teams these day simply don't need rezing as much as they used to in general, but I still see times where nearly a whole team fall and Howling Twilight would have save day if the character hadn't just recently used it as a disorient.

4 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

Teams these day simply don't need rezing as much as they used to in general, but I still see times where nearly a whole team fall and Howling Twilight would have save day if the character hadn't just recently used it as a disorient.

Perhaps I'm sure that happens sometimes.  But without a crystal ball to see the future it's also possible that the stun and other effects may have prevented the defeats in the first place.

I'm in the "Oh, does my auto-hit AOE disorient also rez you guys? How lucky!" camp.

It doesn't need Accuracy, save a slot. Or devote it to recharge or disorient.

Edited by DoctorDitko
'cause
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

If any other %proc is slotted in Howling Twilight, I am reasonably certain that it should the chance for the %procs to hit is based on a ToHit check... independent of the %proc rate, which will be very good because of the long recharge. I am currently running HT with two %damage procs (Bombardment's %Fire, Javelin Volley's %Lethal) but for a while I also had Annihilation's %-Resistance in it as well. I ended up taking out the Annihilation piece (the %-Resistance was appreciated, but I felt the ultimate duration of it was too short for the ~70 second recharge time of Howling Twilight, and more debuffing means more enemies running). My current slotting is:

• 50+5 Absolute Amazement Stun/Recharge
  • 50+5 Absolute Amazement Accuracy/Stun/Recharge
  • 50+5 Ragnarok Accuracy/Recharge
  • 50+5 Ragnarok Damage/Endurance
  • Javelin Volley %Lethal
  • Bombardment %Fire

I'm overdoing it on the slotted Recharge, but the other Enhancement effects aren't at the ED cap and I'm getting twice the recovery bonus. It's also not typical that I slot either of those particular Very Rare Enhancements. The Damage boost is negligible, but Ragnarok is a convenient set that provides (boosted) Accuracy and Endurance while also picking up a useful set bonus. It may seem nuts, but with the level 50-slotting Howling Twilight becomes an AoE attack/control/debuff nuke that is available in almost all game content (it is an early possible power pick in the Dark Miasma primary) and the enhancements scale nicely.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later
On 6/22/2022 at 1:21 PM, High_Beam said:

Oh my, sir or maam you just made my day and me a little bit tingly thinking about my Demon/Dark MM and the changes I am gonna make 🙂

Yes, HB, it's a FANTASTIC bit of CC. I use it often on all my dark users.

18 hours ago, Anthraxus said:

One weird by-product of firing this power off is that it will actually rez the caster if they die within the next few seconds!

Good information but I am gonna try and avoid testing that one 🙂

Call me crazy, but I use it for the -500% regen.  Don't get me wrong, a ranged, autohit, AoE stun is nice, but it's only Mag 2 and only hits in a 15' circle... anything it could stun is probably already dead by the time THAT LOUDASS SOUND STOPS PLAYING.  

• Haha 2

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

18 hours ago, High_Beam said:

Good information but I am gonna try and avoid testing that one 🙂

Best discovered by accident, like I did.  😃

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝