Anti-Circle of Thorns Guy??

Redletter

So I've wanted to make a circle of thorns character for a while now, and while I fucking HATE Oranbega in game, I LOVE Oranbega as a story concept and roleplay tool.

So, to sorta mix this together, I want to make a Circle of Thorns guy that noped out when they decided demons were the future and is now pretty hellbent on putting a stop to whatever psycho stuff theyre up to now.

My goal is, mechanically, to make the character the biggest middle finger I can to the circle of thorns as early as possible. But, I have no idea what kind of character that would MECHANICALLY be. Part of me is like "oh well invul tanker, so Ruin Mages literally do NOTHING to me" but I don't know the faction mechanically well enough to settle on that.

So, I turn to you folk! How do I make a character that stuffs these nerds into lockers where they belong?

Resident certified baby

CoT slam us with tohit debuffs. Weapon sets often have higher base accuracy but you'll still need to find a constant source of tohit buffs to couple with them. Kinda means tactics in the build as early as possible regardless of AT.

They also enjoy their defense debuffs, so you're going to either want control to shut em up or high DDR to ignore em. High DDR does NOT exist in the early game for any defense based mitigation so you might want to lean into a resist based or control based mitigation set.

Seems like a dom pushing high recharge with assault and tactics might be the way to go. While domination is up, you're also immune to the succubi confuse.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

High DDR does NOT exist in the early game for any defense based mitigation

SR tanker says hi

now that being said, I don't know if that's the best choice.

• Like 1

What this team needs is more Defenders

7 minutes ago, Psyonico said:

SR tanker says hi

now that being said, I don't know if that's the best choice.

There is that. Being able to softcap to all three positions by 22 (or lower, I don't remember my own damn posts) with SOs helps a lot.

Edited by Bill Z Bubba
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Seems like a dom pushing high recharge with assault and tactics might be the way to go. While domination is up, you're also immune to the succubi confuse.

Dom was my first read too, if only because Domination ALSO gets you out of any CC going around. My only problem with Doms is like, well, you live and DIE by your CC in the early levels since you don't really get to bulk up till later. Tactics helps that CC not miss though, which is always a bonus. My concern would be, somewhat obviously, END costs. Domination is a nice full END heal, but UNTIL then you're sucking down a lot.

Do the CoT have resists to controls? I feel like they do, I can rarely ever hold a boss WITHOUT Domination.

CoT slam us with tohit debuffs. Weapon sets often have higher base accuracy but you'll still need to find a constant source of tohit buffs to couple with them. Kinda means tactics in the build as early as possible regardless of AT.

This was my second read! I figured like, a sword and board tanker or something? I know Shield Defense gets their Anti CC clicky fairly early, and broad sword's got some bonus accuracy AND -def stacked on it. I also considered Titan Weapons, because Titan Weapons are cool.

They also enjoy their defense debuffs, so you're going to either want control to shut em up or high DDR to ignore em. High DDR does NOT exist in the early game for any defense based mitigation so you might want to lean into a resist based or control based mitigation set.

Going along with my TW idea, i thought "Oh SR/TW tanker yeah? That's got DEF, a big ol sword that gives yet MORE def..."

Resident certified baby

On 7/8/2022 at 5:35 PM, Redletter said:

So I've wanted to make a circle of thorns character for a while now, and while I fucking HATE Oranbega in game, I LOVE Oranbega as a story concept and roleplay tool.

So, to sorta mix this together, I want to make a Circle of Thorns guy that noped out when they decided demons were the future and is now pretty hellbent on putting a stop to whatever psycho stuff theyre up to now.

If you wanted to go the "person-from-an-alternate-reality" route, there's at least one alternate universe where the CoT didn't go all dark and demonic and the Oranbegans remained peaceful.  There's a heroside mission where you have to rescue some of them from invading Malta (I forget who gives it or what it's called).

Edited by Shocktacular
  • Like 1

As someone who solos CoT at +0x8 from Posi 1 with lowbies all you really need is overwhelming power which translates to Build Up. Build Up allows to take them down before they get too many debuffs out.

Fire Armor Tankers have had, in my experience, the best results, but only as long as the set has Build Up. Sets like Martial Arts or Energy Melee will not have an early Build-up and will suffer as ghosts stack -acc and the mages' force shields make us miss.

Fire/Ice Melee is thematic enough for a mage and Frost + Burn + Build-up (+ ice patch) has let me rend early level CoT. Whether this is what you're after or not only you will know.

• Like 1

Oh hey! Widows get +to hit for free, AND a toggle for CC defense by level 10! And Soldiers too!

Why, that's JUST in time for Posi1!

Could it be? Finally, at long last, the secret purpose of the VEATS revealed after all these years, at last? To spank the Circle of Thorns...?

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Resident certified baby

7 hours ago, Sovera said:

As someone who solos CoT at +0x8 from Posi 1 with lowbies all you really need is overwhelming power which translates to Build Up. Build Up allows to take them down before they get too many debuffs out.

Fire Armor Tankers have had, in my experience, the best results, but only as long as the set has Build Up. Sets like Martial Arts or Energy Melee will not have an early Build-up and will suffer as ghosts stack -acc and the mages' force shields make us miss.

Fire/Ice Melee is thematic enough for a mage and Frost + Burn + Build-up (+ ice patch) has let me rend early level CoT. Whether this is what you're after or not only you will know.

One again, our hopes rest on HIS shoulders...

1183889943_R(2).thumb.jpg.31e4ca70a59df99bdbe8806703614cb8.jpg

Resident certified baby

12 hours ago, Redletter said:

My goal is, mechanically, to make the character the biggest middle finger I can to the circle of thorns as early as possible. But, I have no idea what kind of character that would MECHANICALLY be. Part of me is like "oh well invul tanker, so Ruin Mages literally do NOTHING to me" but I don't know the faction mechanically well enough to settle on that.

So, I turn to you folk! How do I make a character that stuffs these nerds into lockers where they belong?

If your wanting to be melee.  Rad Armor, hands down will say F you to CoT.  More around you higher your recharge. Plus  it also has To Hit Debuff in it.(Toggle).  Rad Armor is always overlooked for reasons? Yet it's one the most powerful Armors out there.  As for your attack, I would suggest Electric Melee to Lighting Rod your ass in middle of them.  It also has Self Heal, Absorbs, & with one tanker pieces put into the Armor AoE attack, you'll get even more Absorb.

Tanker - Radiation Armor - Electrical Melee.mxd

Here a build you can look over.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Mopery said:

I often say in game that there is a parallel-dimension version of the Circle of Thorns known as the "Square of Pricks".

48 minutes ago, Six-Six said:

Incidentally, I've heard (from someone who knows someone) that a certain faction within the CoT are merging with some Carnival folk. They will hence be known as the Circle of Thongs.

Definitely time for male and large versions of fishnets and corsets.

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

*wanders back*

Yep after hours of thought (aka sleep 😉) CoT are basically diverse debuffers with lots of mez tossed in.  At some point along the journey they use just about every debuff there is (except maybe -resist?).   And accompanying the debuffs are lots of elemental based and themed damage of basically every type in the game.  But yes they really love the To Hit debuffs.

I personally would be looking for an element themed character with good typed resists and defense.  Wouldn't be the best choice perhaps mechanically but pretty much anything can be made very tough and would fit the bill as a "good guy" Circle character without a lot of unusual and explanatory backstory (though making such up can be a nice chunk of the fun).  

Also don't forget that true Orangebans are like 15,000 (roughly) years old.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

• 2 weeks later
On 7/22/2022 at 7:22 PM, Redletter said:

PROLIFERATE

LABEUX (THONG)

NOW!!!

FREE THE CHEEKS

FREE THE CHEEKS

We even have the slinky walk for males and huge body types now.

• Like 1