Masterminds have wanted changes for years now.

On 8/7/2022 at 6:50 PM, Rudra said:

There is a reason why monthly donations are capped at just keeping the servers running. There is a reason why the current dev team is all unpaid volunteers using their free time to update and fix the game. Until HC's negotiations get this game official again, it is the only way to be able to play the game.

Like the "talks" that have gone on for over a decade? Nothing takes that long to figure out.  I honestly sense BS here.  Not one time have they actually shown a conversation with NC soft to the public. Nothing.  Are we gonna have to wait another 10 years while donating 7 grand every month for servers that would cost 500 bucks if that to run the current player base.  And yes I know what I'm talking about I used to run a few mmorpg private servers that had around 200 players in at once.  The only problem was random access memory. I had to have a virtual private server that could handle it. It only cost like 79 a month. As much as I like this server I think it's shady. Personally if these guys are putting in so much work they need to be paid. Not some asshole behind a desk doing nothing in South Korea.

Edited by eldriyth
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

On 7/15/2022 at 3:26 AM, eldriyth said:

What do we get instead? Bards.

There is a minstrel mastermind set coming out with sonic pets!? What?!

Well, I would have liked customizable MM pets or at least customization options to pick from different types of visuals for the MM pets, but I can settle with Bards, but I would have hoped for a more Rock and Roll or Heavy Metal customization for a sonic mastermind pets.

jss6s0mtcf011.jpg?auto=webp&s=a7aa6bcd94

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Haha 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

5 hours ago, eldriyth said:

Like the "talks" that have gone on for over a decade? Nothing takes that long to figure out.  I honestly sense BS here.  Not one time have they actually shown a conversation with NC soft to the public. Nothing.  Are we gonna have to wait another 10 years while donating 7 grand every month for servers that would cost 500 bucks if that to run the current player base.  And yes I know what I'm talking about I used to run a few mmorpg private servers that had around 200 players in at once.  The only problem was random access memory. I had to have a virtual private server that could handle it. It only cost like 79 a month. As much as I like this server I think it's shady. Personally if these guys are putting in so much work they need to be paid. Not some asshole behind a desk doing nothing in South Korea.

NCSoft is notorious for wanting ridiculous offerings for CoX. So it taking this long, and longer, does not surprise me.

On 8/9/2022 at 12:17 AM, Rudra said:

*sigh* I need to update my Mids. Again. They aren't listed. Thanks.

Edit: Which brings me back to my original confusion. Why ask for earth animations for Plant Manipulation when the AT has Earth Manipulation?

Guy stop being super literal.

Just talking alternate power themes for existing power sets.. Same DPS, same everything game mechanic wise but more than just changing the color of the blast.. 

On 8/9/2022 at 3:23 PM, UltraAlt said:

There is a minstrel mastermind set coming out with sonic pets!? What?!

Well, I would have liked customizable MM pets or at least customization options to pick from different types of visuals for the MM pets, but I can settle with Bards, but I would have hoped for a more Rock and Roll or Heavy Metal customization for a sonic mastermind pets.

jss6s0mtcf011.jpg?auto=webp&s=a7aa6bcd94

I still think Piano Tie when I seen those music notes 
Here you go.. This would make me surrender as well if I was a villain. 

Edited by plainguy

On 8/9/2022 at 8:17 PM, Rudra said:

NCSoft is notorious for wanting ridiculous offerings for CoX. So it taking this long, and longer, does not surprise me.

I said this since day one they were in talks with them. 

I am sure they said do this and show us something and we will consider having you run this live.. Maybe they have a new engine for it.. Something updated.. ETC.. I am sure the whole thing will be micro transactions as well. 

I am sure they are looking at the overage they get as potential. 
As I stated, I understand the number is 5k, but they are probably keeping track of how much is coming in after the 5k, they are just closing it down at 5k. But keep the window open to see how many donate during that window.  

You want energy blast from devices, like a shoulder mount cannon.. Then its gonna cost you. 

Again there really is no superhero game out here to still compete with COH lore.. 

1 hour ago, plainguy said:

Guy stop being super literal.

Just talking alternate power themes for existing power sets.. Same DPS, same everything game mechanic wise but more than just changing the color of the blast.. 

You are asking for power sets in the same AT to have the same animations. No. If you want a specific style or theme and there is already a power set in that AT with that specific style or theme, use that power set.

• Thanks 1

I would like to have a Merc MM with a pistol or a Necromancer with an assault rifle......i've suggested before some sort of 'MM alternate attacks' pool that MM's get from level 2 but it works like a Patron pool where once you have one you cant select a different one.

Edited by Megawatt
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Megawatt said:

I would like to have a Merc MM with a pistol or a Necromancer with an assault rifle......i've suggested before some sort of 'MM alternate attacks' pool that MM's get from level 2 but it works like a Patron pool where once you have one you cant select a different one.

Select your henchmen and attacks seperate,  i like it.  Picking the henchmen would give the 6 powers and the 3 attacks are chosen as a mini set within a set.

2 hours ago, Rudra said:

And then players ask to be able to mix them after. No thanks. I don't care that I'm the minority on this.

Being the minority in a group of 3 isnt much.  But you are right,  whenever the devs drop a fix for something,  a short time later there will be someone saying that it was great but they need a little more.

21 hours ago, Rudra said:

You are asking for power sets in the same AT to have the same animations. No. If you want a specific style or theme and there is already a power set in that AT with that specific style or theme, use that power set.

What.. No I am not..  I am talking different NEW animations..  

As an example.. There are no Mage theme animations.. There are no complete earth theme animations. There are no complete tech theme animations.. 

As further example Dark/Devices build.. 

Traps and some other power set beyond Assault Rifle.. 

Demon summoning has good animations that can be borrowed. BUT from what I understand they need the ORIGINAL animation, they can't extrapolate parts from this formatted animation.  That was discussed in the update to the new running that is coming out. They pulled it from Utility Belt animation that they had sitting around. 

Imagine Traps not being Tech, but being magical in nature or organic in nature..  

Dual Pistols having a laser gun effect or animations. Now picking up the laser gun seems more thematic then picking up laser gun and seeing and hearing bullets. 

Again there are college kids that would love to cut their teeth on something like this. Great resume builder for sure.. 

• Like 1

Statement still stands. If you want to play an earth themed Blaster, there is already the Seismic Blast and Earth Manipulation power sets. I am against turning other power sets into theme matches for existing ones. Are you going to also ask for Dark Armor animations for Bio Armor? The themes you are asking for already exist. Use them. If they didn't? Sure. By all means. Ask for alternate animations.

What is sorcery? It is using magic to affect the world around you. What is... say... Earth Manipulation? It is using earth-based attacks against your enemies. Is it magic? Yes, if used by a magic origin character. Is it a mutant power? Yes, if used by a mutant origin character. Is it a tech power? Yes, if used by a tech origin character. And your character's costume plays a part in selling it as a magic, or mutant, or tech, or science, or natural attack.

32 minutes ago, plainguy said:

What.. No I am not..  I am talking different NEW animations..  

As an example.. There are no Mage theme animations.. There are no complete earth theme animations. There are no complete tech theme animations.. 

As further example Dark/Devices build.. 

Traps and some other power set beyond Assault Rifle.. 

Demon summoning has good animations that can be borrowed. BUT from what I understand they need the ORIGINAL animation, they can't extrapolate parts from this formatted animation.  That was discussed in the update to the new running that is coming out. They pulled it from Utility Belt animation that they had sitting around. 

Imagine Traps not being Tech, but being magical in nature or organic in nature..  

Dual Pistols having a laser gun effect or animations. Now picking up the laser gun seems more thematic then picking up laser gun and seeing and hearing bullets. 

Again there are college kids that would love to cut their teeth on something like this. Great resume builder for sure.. 

I'm actually for this sort of thing. I have tech characters that tech sets like Kinetics and Gravity Control and such, and while I can pretend they're using their gadgets and imagine how it would look in my head, it would be amazing if these sorts of concepts could be made more realistic, though I realize how time consuming and difficult that would likely be given this game's ancient spaghetti code. I have a TA/Dark Defender whose bow is magically gifted and what gave her her Dark powers, so it would be cool if the bow had a shadowy aura and maybe the TA abilities were tinted with shadows or used the Dark projectiles. 

This is to say, I totally get what you're saying now and I'm all for it if there were a way for them to implement it. This game is all about character concept (it's frequently repeated that "concept is king" in game and in the forum), and this would go a long ways toward allowing people to solidify their concepts.

• Like 1

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

You're talking about the creation and addition of weapon auras. Which would be very nice to have. He is talking about taking a power set and converting it to another power set in appearance while keeping the benefits of the original power set. When power sets that already have the appearance he wants exists. There is no point to, and yes I guess I'm fixated on this, turning Plant Manipulation into an Earth Manipulation set when the AT already has an Earth Manipulation set. If he doesn't like the animations for Seismic Blast or Earth Manipulation? Then ask for alternate animations for them. Don't ask for the ability to make Plant Manipulation look like Earth Manipulation when Earth Manipulation already exists.

On 8/11/2022 at 12:07 AM, Rudra said:

This isn't even an argument, just somebody dictating their lack of imagination to the rest of the playerbase.

Pro: Players are given more options to realize their character concepts (eg. a vampiric version of Poison Ivy that uses plant animations but has the darkness effects).

Con: Rudra doesn't like it for some reason.

Waste of time and effort: making a power set look like another power set when that power set already exists.

Con: Players only use 1 power set, they just use different animations. Why even have power sets then? Edit: May as well just remove all but the best power sets from each AT and give that single power set all the animations.

Edited by Rudra

1 hour ago, Rudra said:

Waste of time and effort: making a power set look like another power set when that power set already exists.

A "powerset" is a combination of animations and effects. Certain combinations already exist. The proposal is to allow players more options to mix and match and create new combinations that don't currently exist. Not sure why it's so hard for you to grasp the distinction.

1 hour ago, Rudra said:

May as well just remove all but the best power sets from each AT and give that single power set all the animations.

Lol what? So people are playing underperforming sets simply because the animations are cool? 

If people want to play the best sets in a given AT, they'll do it regardless of the animations. That has no bearing on this suggestion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, battlewraith said:

A "powerset" is a combination of animations and effects. Certain combinations already exist. The proposal is to allow players more options to mix and match and create new combinations that don't currently exist. Not sure why it's so hard for you to grasp the distinction.

On 8/6/2022 at 8:48 PM, plainguy said:

Plant Manipulation, give it some of the earth affects options..

Yea, its plant manipulation but with earth affects now I am playing "earth control guy" someone who can control the earth to do the same thing that another player "plant lord" on the team is doing with plants. 

Give it the affects of Soul Mastery and Now I am a player that summons energy tendrils to do my bidding like "earth control guy" and "plant lord" are doing.

Plant Manipulation is a Blaster secondary. So is Earth manipulation and Darkness Manipulation. Nothing new has been created. The player is asking to make a specific power set look like another power set the AT already has. Why? If a player wants to play an earth-themed Blaster? Guess what? It already exists. A dark-themed Blaster? It already exists. A tech-themed Blaster? It already exists. Should I go on?

If a player wants to play a specific theme on most ATs, (s)he can already play most of them. This is not asking for something new, this is asking to be able to play a preferred power set and claim it is something else. Like I've heard Bio Armor players do already. If you want to play a theme and that theme already exists? Then play the theme. It is right there ready and waiting to be used. Don't like the animations? Then ask for alternate animations for that set.

If players want something new, then ask for it. I'm fine with that. AR attacks coming from a shoulder cannon? Great! New AR animations for the win! Plant Manipulation looking like special devices? We have... wait for it... Devices. Use it.

Lol what? So people are playing underperforming sets simply because the animations are cool? 

Yes actually. Pretty much all of my characters are played because I enjoy the animations or the power set fits the theme of the character. I don't actually know what power sets in any given AT are the best or the worst. I just know the ones I enjoy using on my characters and the ones that bore me to tears. (Edit: And for the ones that bore me to tears? I just need to find a concept that is fun to play. A few power sets I use on current characters are sets I was bored with until I found a character concept that was fun. So it is not the sets specifically that are boring, it was the concepts I tried.)

If people want to play the best sets in a given AT, they'll do it regardless of the animations. That has no bearing on this suggestion.

People already do that. They don't need every theme animation for their one and only preferred power set per AT to do so. They can do what they already do. Say the power set is actually something else. (Edit: And if the power set does not look like they want for elemental or other theme? Then use the power set that has that theme. There is no need to min-max everything. Other power sets are just as fun when you find a good concept for them.)

In this thread, the OP laments that Masterminds have not gotten the changes he wants. A Mastermind change that is frequently asked for is pet customizations. I would rather the devs spend their time fixing the game, making upgrades, making new content including power sets, and hopefully incorporating fixes and alterations players have been asking for. As opposed to wasting time making a means for a single power set to be everything.

If they decide to do so? Whatever. It is a waste of time, but it is their time to waste duplicating themes on ATs that already exist.

Edited by Rudra

On 8/12/2022 at 9:58 PM, battlewraith said:

This isn't even an argument, just somebody dictating their lack of imagination to the rest of the playerbase.

Pro: Players are given more options to realize their character concepts (eg. a vampiric version of Poison Ivy that uses plant animations but has the darkness effects).

Con: Rudra doesn't like it for some reason.

You have code monkeys. And you have true game developers with an imagination.  The devs here seem to be code monkeys trying to be both.  That does not work. You are talking about 2 different types of brains. I don't know if they even have a designated game developer here.  They would have hit on the master mind thing immediately.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 5
  • Thumbs Down 2

20 minutes ago, eldriyth said:

You have code monkeys. And you have true game developers with an imagination.  The devs here seem to be code monkeys trying to be both.  That does not work. You are talking about 2 different types of brains. I don't know if they even have a designated game developer here.  They would have hit on the master mind thing immediately.

This is beyond comprehension. You are clearly misinformed. Are you willing to accept information contrary to your opinion? 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

Entitlement is stored in the balls, or in Eldyrith's case? The cheeto-dusted fingers he uses to type furiously about how volunteer developers aren't being slaves to the community.

I hate with a passion that there was no better word than slaves to fit this for the record.

Edited by Shadeknight
  • Thumbs Up 1

unknown.png

alright buddy, it's time to shit yourself
casts earthquake, activates dispersion bubble

Lets do a quick comparison.

This thread: Increase the damage!

The devs: What are the different approaches we can take to improve the game?

Someone lacks imagination, but it sure isn't the devs. I expect this thread to be locked soon with where this conversation has gone.

• Like 3