Patron Powers for Heroes

I've read on TV Tropes (yeah, I know, probably a silly source) that one of the plans for City of Heroes that was never implemented due to its closure was for Scirocco to successfully overcome his curse, becoming a genuine hero instead of a wannabe doomed to evil. In the process, he would bring with him a means for heroes to access the Patron Power Pools without having to become a villain first. 

The character designer in me would REALLY like to have some Patron Powers for heroic characters. (The Leviathan Pool in particular, because NONE of the archetypes have water themed Ancillary pools as far as I'm aware.) So I was wondering if anyone who's more in the know would confirm the truth of these plans. And if the Homecoming Team, through Scirocco redeeming himself or otherwise, would consider adding a means of accessing Patron Powers for heroes.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

If you take Scirocco as patron and play through his arcs, it shows he is not a villain. Even when he says that is the only fate left to him as he demonstrates at the end of his arcs. Then in the Dark Astoria incarnate arcs, Scirocco further progresses away from Arachnos' bonds. Even Ice Mistral shows a heroic, or at least selfless, side to herself in the incarnate arcs with Scirocco.

I can't say for certain, but it does look like Scirocco and possibly Ice Mistral were going to go hero following their own NPC version of the alignment system. Though equally possible was Ice Mistral simply taking his place as an Arachnos patron.

As for hero side patrons? Yeah, sorry, not gonna speak for the devs. Though to be frank? It makes less for heroes than villains. Red side, the entire story revolves around the character being tested by Arachnos as they make their way up to rivaling Lord Recluse. Destroying the world in the process, but hey, even the heroes destroy the world in one of the blue side arcs. Blue side however, until they introduced the early arcs where you fight alongside the Freedom Phalanx, you are an independent hero not under any group's oversight in any real capacity. Sure, Freedom Corps and by extension Longbow keep tabs on you, but not in a manner like Arachnos. Vanguard tests you, and I suppose you could view them as a patron organization. The Freedom Phalanx, Vindicators, and Longbow are all just out there leaving you to your own devices though.

That's just my take on blue side patrons though. And it is very much possible to adjust the story to enable blue side patrons. So take my response with a grain of salt please.

3 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Red side, the entire story revolves around the character being tested by Arachnos

I keep telling myself that it was a limitation of the game engine/design as to why our villains always felt like someone else's underling/lieutenant, rather than a "self-made man", as it were.  That being said, the signature heroes basically embody existing powers instead of the more specialized/unique focus that the Arachnos patrons embody - Mu, Leviathan, Soul, & Arachnos tech...

32 minutes ago, Rudra said:

If you take Scirocco as patron and play through his arcs, it shows he is not a villain. Even when he says that is the only fate left to him as he demonstrates at the end of his arcs. Then in the Dark Astoria incarnate arcs, Scirocco further progresses away from Arachnos' bonds. Even Ice Mistral shows a heroic, or at least selfless, side to herself in the incarnate arcs with Scirocco.

I can't say for certain, but it does look like Scirocco and possibly Ice Mistral were going to go hero following their own NPC version of the alignment system. Though equally possible was Ice Mistral simply taking his place as an Arachnos patron.

As for hero side patrons? Yeah, sorry, not gonna speak for the devs. Though to be frank? It makes less for heroes than villains. Red side, the entire story revolves around the character being tested by Arachnos as they make their way up to rivaling Lord Recluse. Destroying the world in the process, but hey, even the heroes destroy the world in one of the blue side arcs. Blue side however, until they introduced the early arcs where you fight alongside the Freedom Phalanx, you are an independent hero not under any group's oversight in any real capacity. Sure, Freedom Corps and by extension Longbow keep tabs on you, but not in a manner like Arachnos. Vanguard tests you, and I suppose you could view them as a patron organization. The Freedom Phalanx, Vindicators, and Longbow are all just out there leaving you to your own devices though.

That's just my take on blue side patrons though. And it is very much possible to adjust the story to enable blue side patrons. So take my response with a grain of salt please.

So the Red Side, you're all in the SAME organization, and just pick one PERSON within it to be your patron.  What if Blue Side, you pick a specific ORGANIZATION, like Longbow or Freedom Phalanx, to back you up and give you missions/power pools?

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Tv Tropes said that Ice Mistral would've joined Scirocco in becoming a hero.

I'll admit I have no idea who would serve as Hero Patrons, or who would take Scirocco's place villain side, but I'm sure they could think of something. (At the very least, I can imagine Scirocco stealing some Arachnos tech when he flees hero-side, and a tech-savvy hero could do some analysis, providing a basis for heroic Mace Mastery.)

Honestly, since Patrons came out, I've thought that - yes - we should be able to "sign up with" the FBSA branches (sort of fits more than "a patron,") and redsiders should also get non-Patron Epics for those that don't want to be someone's lackey.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

39 minutes ago, Cybersbe said:

Tv Tropes said that Ice Mistral would've joined Scirocco in becoming a hero.

I'll admit I have no idea who would serve as Hero Patrons, or who would take Scirocco's place villain side, but I'm sure they could think of something. (At the very least, I can imagine Scirocco stealing some Arachnos tech when he flees hero-side, and a tech-savvy hero could do some analysis, providing a basis for heroic Mace Mastery.)

TVTropes got that info from post-shutdown dev AMAs, so it's pretty much accurate as far as we know. Ice Mistral was going to try to go straight, but is ultimately just too selfish and would end up going back to Arachnos. Scirocco would be replaced by Mu'Vorkan as a patron.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Greycat said:

Honestly, since Patrons came out, I've thought that - yes - we should be able to "sign up with" the FBSA branches (sort of fits more than "a patron,") and redsiders should also get non-Patron Epics for those that don't want to be someone's lackey.

They do. Non-patron epic power pools are available to everyone regardless of side.

2 hours ago, Menelruin said:

So the Red Side, you're all in the SAME organization, and just pick one PERSON within it to be your patron.  What if Blue Side, you pick a specific ORGANIZATION, like Longbow or Freedom Phalanx, to back you up and give you missions/power pools?

*shrug* Don't know. Personally, I think Vanguard works, but they are open to both sides. Introducing the FBSA in a more concrete way could open up access to hero patron pools. Since they seem to be the overarching organization blue side. Just using Freedom Corps for patrons would also work. They give the early training for heroes, just not the training the Freedom Phalanx/Vindicators give. So there are definitely options. I'm just saying it needs to be worked in.

3 hours ago, Rudra said:

They do. Non-patron epic power pools are available to everyone regardless of side.

*headdesk* I know that. I just didn't type it well. :D That should have been a "just like" - basically, both options for both sides.

Brain-finger disconnect. *chuckles.*

• Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.