What do the devs want (what what what what)?

When we enter transition times, like when a new issue is a-coming, I think it's healthy to ask who or what these mythological "devs" are and what their objectives are.

Here's what I assume:

- Many/most/all of the devs are current or former players.  They are probably going to want to influence the game towards a direction where they continue to enjoy playing the game themselves.  With that assumption, I'm frequently going to ask myself who the decision makers are and how do they like to play.

- No one is getting paid.  The intention is not to encourage pay-per-anything or keep hours/days/years of retention.  An additional corollary might be that devs might be inclined to not work dozens of hours a week to change stuff.

- *The incentive is to keep (and attract) as many players as possible for the longest period of time.  Well, at least, that is what I would do.  If you like teaming, why not have as big a pool as possible?

My point, if I have one, is to try to understand why changes are made.  It's probably because there is an intention behind it.  Maybe it's an economic intention; maybe it's a moral one.  But unless you, yes you, I see you there, have pissed off one or more devs to get them to make rules against you, maybe we should accept that they are aimed at making this experience a better place for all of us?

Crazy thought, right?

Happy hunting!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Who run Bartertown?

They want real Chicago-style deep dish pizza.  Supreme.  Dripping with cheese.  Some parmesan sprinkled on top.  2" thick garlic-buttered crust.

They also want it delivered to me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Have you ever gone into family members house and seen a picture frame that was slightly crooked? It's their place and really up to them if the frame is crooked or not. Now imagine that family member is gone and you enter their dusty house full of cobwebs and memories, and see that crooked picture. You reach out a hand and straighten it, in doing so you bring order to chaos and bring signs of life back into a vacant property. 

I believe the devs are simply fixing what they view as broken, clearing out the debris and rolling out the welcome mat by showing that the owners are gone, but there is warmth once again in the memories that filled these halls. 

Edited by Thrones
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

You made me hungry, Lumi. Fuck you.

unknown.png

Not the most up to date list, given Piece is no longer part of it.

Caretaker & Cobalt do story/content, Booper/P1/Powerhouse do powers and a bit more. Faultine is everything. Naomi is Costumes/Emotes.

• Like 1

unknown.png

alright buddy, it's time to shit yourself
casts earthquake, activates dispersion bubble

22 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

- *The incentive is to keep (and attract) as many players as possible for the longest period of time.  Well, at least, that is what I would do.  If you like teaming, why not have as big a pool as possible?

I would say it is to attract enough players and keep them happy enough to sustain the servers' concurrency and community we have for the foreseeable future.   I don't see how having say, ten times, as many players would improve anything. In fact, it could be substantially worse.

I don't know if our dev team with agree with me on this, but I wouldn't automatically assume they're in favor of unceasing increase in new player accounts and ever higher concurrency.

Perhaps it's more trying to curate the structure of the game system to retain the players they feel make their ideal vision of the game's community. Again, without them coming forward and giving us their individual detailed conceptualization of what make the community work for them, we can only speculate. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Luminara said:

They want real Chicago-style deep dish pizza.  Supreme.  Dripping with cheese.  Some parmesan sprinkled on top.  2" thick garlic-buttered crust.

Oh, I know what YOU want.  Just peace in the woods with your animals and an occasional wanderer who you can skin and make into a fancy hat.

Who run Bartertown?

Somewhat related, but I find what has happened in P4 Feedback Threads to be rather hilarious - the whole idea that things in P4 were not "productive" or this whole idea of listening to the community. All because x powerset wasn't buffed or Wind Control wasn't part of Page 4 (coming with the implication that it was a set the devs were working on/wanted to work on, usually.)

Edited by Shadeknight

unknown.png

alright buddy, it's time to shit yourself
casts earthquake, activates dispersion bubble

39 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

My point, if I have one, is to try to understand why changes are made.  It's probably because there is an intention behind it.  Maybe it's an economic intention; maybe it's a moral one.  But unless you, yes you, I see you there, have pissed off one or more devs to get them to make rules against you, maybe we should accept that they are aimed at making this experience a better place for all of us?

Indeed.  Unfortunately, more than once, I have seen people express their outrage and say that some change isn't 'better for all' because THEY don't like it.  They don't seem to grasp that 'better for all' means 'better for the community' and not 'better for every single individual'.

• Like 3

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

11 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Oh, I know what YOU want.  Just peace in the woods with your animals and an occasional wanderer who you can skin and make into a fancy hat.

That's ridiculous.

Seat covers, vellum, shower curtains, but not hats.  Human skin just isn't stiff enough for hats.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Have you tried using stearic acid as a stiffening agent?

Nullifies the lecithin from the brains and prevents it from tanning properly.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

- Many/most/all of the devs are current or former players.  They are probably going to want to influence the game towards a direction where they continue to enjoy playing the game themselves.  With that assumption, I'm frequently going to ask myself who the decision makers are and how do they like to play.

I would tell the DEVs to keep their masks on.

- No one is getting paid.  The intention is not to encourage pay-per-anything or keep hours/days/years of retention.  An additional corollary might be that devs might be inclined to not work dozens of hours a week to change stuff.

Yep. I doubt that any DEV is working dozens of hours a week.

I'm very glad for what they are doing.

I'm very satisfied with Homecoming in general.

I think the incentive is that the DEVs and GMs truly love the game, they know that other people love the game, and they want to provide the ability for us to enjoy the game together.

The players (DEVs and GMs may be included) pay the funds to make the game accessible to all of us.

I don't think they are worried about attracting players. I don't think they should be worried about it.

let me zero in on this bit ...

If you like teaming, why not have as big a pool as possible?

Because I don't want to play end-game content because I don't enjoy it.

I fully understand that some amount well over 50% of the characters on-line at any given point are level 50.

So yeah, I'm not worried about being in or, for the most part, gaming with the "biggest pool" of players that currently play Homecoming.

I understand your point is about population size in general.

I rarely play on Excelsior.

My point, if I have one, is to try to understand why changes are made.

Because they believe that they are doing things that will make the game more enjoyable.

maybe we should accept that they are aimed at making this experience a better place for all of us?

Wow.

Well, at least that finished on a good note.

I wasn't sure where you were going.

tumblr_noug0drRQo1rbt4xmo1_640.jpg

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

5 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

When we enter transition times, like when a new issue is a-coming, I think it's healthy to ask who or what these mythological "devs" are and what their objectives are.

Have you thought about engaging with them on the various focused feedback threads?  Seems kind of counter-productive to do your naval-gazing here well after the fact...

3 minutes ago, biostem said:

Have you thought about engaging with them on the various focused feedback threads?  Seems kind of counter-productive to do your naval-gazing here well after the fact...

Well, I have.  My intention with this thread, which has apparently gone awry, was rather to remind everyone that the devs have reasons for doing things, and their intention is *probably* *intended* for the greater good.

This is a perfect example that on the interwebz people are going to see what they want/expect to see!

• Thumbs Up 1

Who run Bartertown?

2 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Well, I have.  My intention with this thread, which has apparently gone awry, was rather to remind everyone that the devs have reasons for doing things, and their intention is *probably* *intended* for the greater good.

This is a perfect example that on the interwebz people are going to see what they want/expect to see!

Seemed like naval-gazing to me...

Just now, Yomo Kimyata said:

Sounds like that was what you wanted/expected to see!  

You coach your OP with wishy-washy terms like "I assume" and "probably".  If you had interacted with their various threads on the Beta forum, then just point to their direct comments on the matter.  instead, you portray a series of leading and/or hypothetical statements, trying to spin this as some contemplative exercise.  Don't speak for the devs - just point to what they say/said...

• Thumbs Down 1

2 minutes ago, biostem said:

You coach your OP with wishy-washy terms like "I assume" and "probably".  If you had interacted with their various threads on the Beta forum, then just point to their direct comments on the matter.  instead, you portray a series of leading and/or hypothetical statements, trying to spin this as some contemplative exercise.  Don't speak for the devs - just point to what they say/said...

I have no idea what in the holy hell is up your craw, but the post was not intended in any way to detract from devs.  It was to remind everyone that they are (probably) players just like us. 

If you are one, put on your hat and respond.  Otherwise either be inflammatory enough to get this thread locked or just let it die.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

Who run Bartertown?

7 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

My intention with this thread, which has apparently gone awry

Sorry.

But they really do want that pizza.

Delivered to me.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Shadeknight said:

You made me hungry, Lumi. Fuck you.

unknown.png

Not the most up to date list, given Piece is no longer part of it.

Caretaker & Cobalt do story/content, Booper/P1/Powerhouse do powers and a bit more. Faultine is everything. Naomi is Costumes/Emotes.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/33688-listing-of-devsgms-with-area-of-specialty/?do=findComment&comment=437796

Edited by Glacier Peak

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

3 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

837956223_bicrosser10.png.566f370745fea79514057a63786120bc.png

1897123896_Bicrosser11.jpg.c5f7d70bc419ded058f18ffc6f3fd724.jpg

jss6s0mtcf011.jpg?auto=webp&s=a7aa6bcd94

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

9 hours ago, Luminara said:

That’s a casserole, not a pizza….

• Like 1