Null the Gull

Please put Null the Gull in all the starter zones in some easily accessible location.

I usually end up going to the Pocket D during my initial character creation steps that I have to do once I enter the game, but it would be more user-friendly if I didn't have to do this.

How group travel powers affect me?

Please change the "How group travel powers affect me?" to

Make me immune to all group travel powers (toggles to) Allow all group travel powers to affect me

Make me immune to group fly (toggles to) Allow group fly to affect me

Make me immune to team teleport (toggles to) Allow team teleport to affect me

Option 1: toggles based on current state; if both are on, then option to turn off is show; if both are off, then option to turn on is show; and, if either mixed state is created/one on and one off; then default to ask if both should be turned off.  

Option 2 and 3: toggle based on current selection state (on or off)

I'm assuming that these states are gated based on a flag for both travel powers separately.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

10 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

Please put Null the Gull in all the starter zones

Since there are entries to Pocket D in the starting zones, I don't think this is needed.

10 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

How group travel powers affect me?

Please change the "How group travel powers affect me?" to

Make me immune to all group travel powers (toggles to) Allow all group travel powers to affect me

While I would like a one-shot "make me immune to group travel powers" option, due to how it had to be kludged-together, I don't think a toggle option is viable...

I'd be fine with that. And in co-op zones, especially the RWZ.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I have always wondered why some of Null the Gull options is simply not in Menu  --> Options --> one of those tabs.  His place in Pocket D does make him harder to find if you don't know his existence.  His stuff isn't exactly locked out by a badge or other requirements.

Null the Gull is ok-ish but i always took him as being some sort of internal joke turned NPC.

• Thanks 1

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

2 hours ago, biostem said:

Since there are entries to Pocket D in the starting zones, I don't think this is needed.

Where is the Pocket D entrance in Atlas?

What harm would it do to put Null the Gull in the starter zones?

Maybe I don't understand the programing code, but I would seem to be as simple as putting a NPC in a base .... but maybe I should suggest Null the Gull as a Base NPC instead.

3 hours ago, biostem said:

While I would like a one-shot "make me immune to group travel powers" option, due to how it had to be kludged-together, I don't think a toggle option is viable...

It's menu is already based on toggles.

Select one state and it toggle to the other option when you go back into it.

I didn't mean to imply it would be instantaneous. None of the selection screens work like that.

2 hours ago, Rudra said:

Had this discussion before.

I searched for it in the Suggestions & Feedback, and nothing came up for Null the Gull.

I made suggestions before somewhere about changing the interface so that  you didn't have to go in and out of it to go through all the options.

I don't recall any discussion about putting Null the Gull in multiple zones or changing the selection menu in the way that I indicated.

46 minutes ago, biostem said:

Maybe have an "information officer" NPC near the starting areas, that offers some useful advice, like how to find Null the Gull...

Might as well add why you would even want to talk to Null the Gull.

When it comes down to it, most of what he does should go into the options menu.

I would vote to default not accepting group fly and team teleport.

Though I would like to say make accept mystic fortune and not apply speed boosts default, I know that some people would want to pick about the mystic fortune dependant upon their character origin and some like to bounce of the walls because someone slotted run speed into speed boost.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

22 minutes ago, starro said:

i always took him as being some sort of internal joke turned NPC.

I'm almost 100% sure that he was created as a joke.

When it comes down to it, a large amount of the content has jokes worked into them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UltraAlt said:

Back of a small box truck in the parking lot just east of City Hall.

2 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

What harm would it be to familiarize yourself with the game a bit more - if you didn't even know there was a connection to Pocket D a mere few steps from where you spawn in, then maybe that should be your priority.

3 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

I didn't mean to imply it would be instantaneous. None of the selection screens work like that.

Read the pink box toward the bottom of this page to learn more.

• Thumbs Down 1

2 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

Maybe I don't understand the programing code, but I would seem to be as simple as putting a NPC in a base .... but maybe I should suggest Null the Gull as a Base NPC instead.

I searched for it in the Suggestions & Feedback, and nothing came up for Null the Gull.

I made suggestions before somewhere about changing the interface so that  you didn't have to go in and out of it to go through all the options.

I don't recall any discussion about putting Null the Gull in multiple zones or changing the selection menu in the way that I indicated.

Might as well add why you would even want to talk to Null the Gull.

When it comes down to it, most of what he does should go into the options menu.

I would vote to default not accepting group fly and team teleport.

Though I would like to say make accept mystic fortune and not apply speed boosts default, I know that some people would want to pick about the mystic fortune dependant upon their character origin and some like to bounce of the walls because someone slotted run speed into speed boost.

The thread was about accessing Null the Gull from the Hive/Abyss (and more zones in general). It's a really old thread apparently because going back 14 pages still did not turn it up.

Anyway, I'm not saying to not have the discussion. Just giving fair warning that the discussion is likely to get heated.

Edit: Finally took a peek in this thread again and noticed @Luminara's simultaneous post showing me how bad my search fu is.... Uhm... thanks for the links, @Luminara. I'm going to crawl back under my rock now....😢😄

Edited by Rudra

4 hours ago, biostem said:

My understanding is that a seagull model spawned somewhere in error, named "Null", and they ran with it...

Nice. Even if that isn't lore, that's still a good even if it is a an urban legend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZjrxhrNJ5k&t=0s <--- an actual Urban Legend. (Right lick on the text and hit translate)

6 hours ago, Krimson said:

If we want "Farm Babies" to be able to figure out how to zone in order to get to Architect Entertainment, then surely a new player can find the door to Pocket D.

I busted a tear reading this one, I had someone ask me how to get to King's Row... level 50 character btw. 

8 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

To that thing we call a "train station", then a short hike a couple blocks to a truck.

ALMOST as dangerous as walking into City Hall!

8 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

Sorry, but I view infinite duplication of function wasteful and boring.

Worse, it disincentivizes exploration of the world.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

8 hours ago, biostem said:

Back of a small box truck in the parking lot just east of City Hall.

Honestly, I had no idea that was there.

I knew where the ones were in Kings Row and Steel, but, honesty, I mostly get there through a base.

Regardless of how easy it is to get to the Pocket D if you know you need to get there to talk to Null the Gull and know where the Pocket D entrances are ... it would be more obvious and user friendly at this point if Null the Gull was standing next to within 10 feet of the P2W vender in the starter zones.

What harm would it be to familiarize yourself with the game a bit more - if you didn't even know there was a connection to Pocket D a mere few steps from where you spawn in, then maybe that should be your priority.

That is an insult. You have insulted me.

I get to the Pocket D through a base teleporter more than any other way.

The issue isn't now easy it is "for me" to the Pocket D. It is about how useful what Null the Gull does and how to make those functions easier to access for all players.

Read the pink box toward the bottom of this page to learn more.

That has nothing to do with my toggle options suggestions when accessing Null the Gull.

And with that I'm done discussing this with you.

I don't need to insult other people in order to have a discussion.

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Thumbs Up 2

24 minutes ago, Hyperstrike said:

To that thing we call a "train station", then a short hike a couple blocks to a truck.

The tram doesn't give you access to Pocket D.

It has been pointed out by someone that actually knows that it is to the east side of City Hall.

Apparently, you didn't know where it was in Atlas.

I generally take a base teleporter to get there.

You don't have to be insulting when you make a post.

I know quite well, that there are many that think they need to be insulting to make their point.

If you have to insult other people, you have already lost your point in the discussion.

27 minutes ago, Hyperstrike said:

Sorry, but I view infinite duplication of function wasteful and boring.

Good for you.

Duplication is throughout the game.

Your point is not valid.

31 minutes ago, Hyperstrike said:

Worse, it disincentivizes exploration of the world.

AE farm doorsitting disincentivizes make sure to make a point of that on the AE thread if that is such a big issue for you.

Good day, sir.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, UltraAlt said:
2 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

It has been pointed out by someone that actually knows that it is to the east side of City Hall.

(S)he didn't say take the tram. (S)he said go up to the tram and then hike a couple blocks. From where you first appear in Atlas, you can either go around the east side of City Hall to the Pocket D entrance marked on the map, or go north to the tram, then east behind city hall, then south to the Pocket D entrance marked on the map. Both instructions are valid, just one is longer for using the tram as the reference point.

(Edit: Unless of course (s)he is saying take the tram to King's Row and hike the few blocks to the KR entrance to Pocket D... in which case, I'm wrong and (s)he is saying to take the tram....)

(Though, I didn't know Pocket D's hero entrances had been expanded to include AP either. I usually just use my base teleporters like you or the long distance teleporter. Had to log on, use my base teleporter to get to Pocket D from Grandville, then explore the Pocket D entrances/exits to get to AP and check the map for where I ended up. Live and learn, I guess.)

Edited by Rudra
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

Sure it does.
You take the tram TO KINGS ROW and hit the entrance in the truck in Bricks.
Easy peasy.

If you want ready access in any zone,. build a base.

The point is being made from the sincere and honest belief that we don't need any further transport duplication.

If you think that's being "insulting", this is entirely a "you" problem.

5 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

Good for you.

Duplication is throughout the game.

Your point is not valid.

And who are you to decide what is and isn't "valid"?

I expressed an opinion.  Nothing more.

YOU apparently think that you're te arbiter of truth or something.

Edited by Hyperstrike
  • Thumbs Down 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

7 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

That has nothing to do with my toggle options suggestions when accessing Null the Gull.

It absolutely does:

"Zwillinger (From http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?p=3683844#post3683844)

I'm sure that Black Scorpion can confirm this, but to answer the question as to why Null's wonderful reality bending capabilities are not put into a UI/Options window: UI work takes a significant amount of time. Creating an NPC that offers these toggles takes significantly less time.

It is possible that at a later date these toggles could be turned into options menu item, however it's not within scope at this time. Why not wait until later to add it when we do have time on the schedule to make pretty UI options? Remember, Null is being added as a response to players concerns regarding the AoE buffs QOL improvement."

I think Null needs a nice place to make his perch.  Im thinking somewhere on the long wavelength end of the visible light spectrum but with short wavelength visible light nearby.  His perch should be symbolic of the services he delivers.....a delivery truck should do nicely.  It may get too quiet at times though so he should be located near a source of music.  And finally,  his power is too great to be confined to a single dimension,  only the space between dimensions is suitable for such a being.

Im thinking that he should be moved on top of a delivery truck on the redside of pocket d.  Only a location such as this can fulfill all the criteria.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, TheZag said:

I think Null needs a nice place to make his perch.  Im thinking somewhere on the long wavelength end of the visible light spectrum but with short wavelength visible light nearby.  His perch should be symbolic of the services he delivers.....a delivery truck should do nicely.  It may get too quiet at times though so he should be located near a source of music.  And finally,  his power is too great to be confined to a single dimension,  only the space between dimensions is suitable for such a being.

Im thinking that he should be moved on top of a delivery truck on the redside of pocket d.  Only a location such as this can fulfill all the criteria.

Whoa. They did that fast...

I think Null needs easy access to french fries.

5 hours ago, TheZag said:

I think Null needs a nice place to make his perch.

Top of Posi's head.

Redside, well... look for the feathers.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.