Funny thing I noticed about the "Vanguard HVAS"

biostem

So I was bumming around the RWZ, and saw a Vanguard HVAS in one of the bays within the base.  I was curious was "HVAS" stood for, and the Wiki calls it a "Vanguard HVAS", but then goes on to state that "HVAS" stands for "Heavy Vanguard Assault Suit".  So, in effect, this unit is called the "Vanguard Heavy Vanguard Assault Suit".  Also, I thought this was a robot for the longest time, but apparently it's piloted?

4 hours ago, biostem said:

So, in effect, this unit is called the "Vanguard Heavy Vanguard Assault Suit"

"What is your PIN number?"

"What is your Personal Identification Number number?"

Lots of these. 😄

Edited by InvaderStych
  • Thumbs Up 4

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

Manos: The Hands of Fate

Hands: The Hands of Fate

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

5 hours ago, Krimson said:

Tautological names are most common with places. For instance, Lake Tahoe basically means Lake Lake. 

Or the apocryphal Torpenhow Hill in Cumbria, England, supposedly the result of agglutination as different peoples passed through the area -- referred to as 'Torr' by the original inhabitants ('torr' being Old English for 'hill'), then 'Tor Pen' by the Welsh ('pen' being Old Welsh for 'hill'), then 'Torpen How' by the Norse ('haugr' being Old Norse for 'hill'), and finally 'Torpenhow Hill' by the English, making the name 'Hill-hill-hill Hill'. The story is ruined by the fact that there is actually no hill with that name near the village of Torpenhow in Cumbria, though.

Update: And I ran across a video today that illustrates how much of a back-construction it is; the false etymology would have it pronounced as 'tore-pen-how', while the actual pronunciation of the village name is closer to 'ter-pen-a'.

Edited by srmalloy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Following up from my previous post - I just logged into the RWZ to take a look at the suit, and I don't think they could conceivably be piloted, unless the pilots' legs were amputated at the knee.  The 'torso' isn't big enough for an adult human to sit in, and the legs are clearly attached to a very small 'hip' that a pilot's legs couldn't fit in.  I think they are robots, and 'Suits' is just a misleading term.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, TalynDerre said:

Following up from my previous post - I just logged into the RWZ to take a look at the suit, and I don't think they could conceivably be piloted, unless the pilots' legs were amputated at the knee.  The 'torso' isn't big enough for an adult human to sit in, and the legs are clearly attached to a very small 'hip' that a pilot's legs couldn't fit in.  I think they are robots, and 'Suits' is just a misleading term.

Depends on how loosely you use the term 'suit', and how cramped a cockpit you give the operator. For example, the Garland from the "Megazone 23" anime is a transformable mecha, with the pilot entirely in the upper torso of the mecha, which is less than four meters tall:

arcadia_garland_new.jpg.30f21ebf931fc3f2ba742f7d819e8257.jpg

On 9/12/2022 at 1:37 PM, TalynDerre said:

If it's a suit, and not a robot, does that imply that the pilots have to stand around all day with their knees bent?  Because that sounds very uncomfortable.

Who says it's piloted by humans?  You could fit an entire team of hamsters in the head.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.