Highlander Inspired hero

StriderIV

I’m thinking of rolling a Highlander inspired toon!

Would love thoughts/ideas from you all.

What archetype would you run it on?

Primary I know is pretty much either Katana or Dual Blades. What secondary do you think fits best?

I was leaning Electric Armor, but I think you could make a few work thematically (Rad/Willpower/Invuln/Etc).

I mean, the Battle Axe set has the BEHEADER power.  Seems like something a Highlander would want (granted, it's also the set's weakest power).  And some of its weapon choices are vaguely sword-looking...

That said, I actually thought of Broadsword before Katana or Dual Blades, though, too.

As for secondaries, when I think of immortals, conceptually, I think of Regeneration first.  It's not a very popular set these days, but from what I remember of the franchise (it's been like 20 years, admittedly, since I even sorta halfway paid attention), that's probably still one of the more appropriate picks.  Maybe Willpower instead if you want a slightly more solid defensive set, or if you want to play a Tanker (since Tankers don't get Regen).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, Lazarillo said:

I mean, the Battle Axe set has the BEHEADER power.  Seems like something a Highlander would want (granted, it's also the set's weakest power).  And some of its weapon choices are vaguely sword-looking...

That said, I actually thought of Broadsword before Katana or Dual Blades, though, too.

As for secondaries, when I think of immortals, conceptually, I think of Regeneration first.  It's not a very popular set these days, but from what I remember of the franchise (it's been like 20 years, admittedly, since I even sorta halfway paid attention), that's probably still one of the more appropriate picks.  Maybe Willpower instead if you want a slightly more solid defensive set, or if you want to play a Tanker (since Tankers don't get Regen).

Shame on me for leaving out those attack sets 😂

24 minutes ago, StriderIV said:

Nice call out, haven’t done a character with one yet!

You can also give him a Scottish costume. Or maybe not since that particular costume is called Lowlander. Which is the opposite of Highlander. 🙂

Edited by Palehood

Just going to point out his opponents (and mentor) came from all over the world.   Stick to a physical bladed weapon not Fire Sword etc. with some sort of crackling aura you could turn on mid/late fight perhaps and make it a 'period piece' or historical themed costume and you're good to go.  I don't recall one (as said above its been 20+ years) but wouldn't be the least bit surprised if someone came at him or (Connor or Duncan) them with an Axe in an episode or two.

Edited by Doomguide2005
Typos
  • Thumbs Up 1

Broadsword/Regen Brute or Katana/Willpower Scrap

Edited by PLVRIZR
  • Thumbs Up 1

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

• 3 weeks later

A self Rez is needed I think
Swords would allow you the option of different costumes around different weapons from different periods of time.

Side note: there is a remake of highlander on the horizon. 

• Like 1

On 11/18/2022 at 1:50 PM, plainguy said:

there is a remake of highlander on the horizon

Please let it not be a complete cluster**** like the second movie, that basically got retconned/ignored/written out of the lore by the series AND the third movie.

• Like 1

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!

Katana/Regen seems the right choice for a Highlander.  Now, if it's just an immortal from the setting, generally you want a bladed weapon.  However, as the series showed us, any weapon, even bare hands can work!

Do you want MacLeod?  Katana.

If not, why not go War Mace and bash that head off! 😉  Tho Axe or Titan Weapon wouldn't be bad imo.  Broadsword would work too.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/19/2022 at 2:01 PM, MistressOhm said:

Please let it not be a complete cluster**** like the second movie, that basically got retconned/ignored/written out of the lore by the series AND the third movie.

It was the first thing of Highlander I ever saw, and when it's the first you see, it's not so bad 😛

2 hours ago, BrandX said:

It was the first thing of Highlander I ever saw, and when it's the first you see, it's not so bad 😛

Oh you sweet summer child....  

Seriously, the whole

Spoiler

"lets resurrect everyone and start up the Game again because McLeod killed an alien"

bit was not only a handwave, but a DUMB handwave at that.  And because the first film was so well received (the fight scenes, the locations, the score!) it was a slap to the face to all Highlander fans.

Thankfully the series AND the Raven spinoff series were fairly decent, altho

Spoiler

making Richie immortal

was a pretty hard turn to believe.  Because the concept spanned so many centuries and locations in time, it allowed for a lot of creatively written episodes, no shortage of material as the McLeod's popped up during various significant historical events.

Edited by MistressOhm

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!

3 hours ago, MistressOhm said:

Oh you sweet summer child....  

Seriously, the whole

Reveal hidden contents

"lets resurrect everyone and start up the Game again because McLeod killed an alien"

bit was not only a handwave, but a DUMB handwave at that.  And because the first film was so well received (the fight scenes, the locations, the score!) it was a slap to the face to all Highlander fans.

Thankfully the series AND the Raven spinoff series were fairly decent, altho

Reveal hidden contents

making Richie immortal

was a pretty hard turn to believe.  Because the concept spanned so many centuries and locations in time, it allowed for a lot of creatively written episodes, no shortage of material as the McLeod's popped up during various significant historical events.

Like I said, first of the movies I ever saw.  Couldn't be helped.  I think I was 8.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/19/2022 at 1:01 PM, MistressOhm said:

On 11/25/2022 at 6:48 PM, BrandX said:

There has been only One.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

• 4 weeks later
6 hours ago, macloudgr said:

My personal opinion as a long Highlander fan will be to go as a katana/Electric Armor, it fits the concept of the quickening and you will also have a self rez like a true immortal.

This combo was my original though. Would you go Scrapper or Brute?

7 hours ago, StriderIV said:

This combo was my original though. Would you go Scrapper or Brute?

Depends on the character you wish to create. If you want Connor or Duncan go katana/electric scrapper since they are more technical fighters, for Kurgan go Broadsword/electric brute because it fits better the concept of the character.

On 12/21/2022 at 2:02 AM, macloudgr said:

My personal opinion as a long Highlander fan will be to go as a katana/Electric Armor, it fits the concept of the quickening and you will also have a self rez like a true immortal.

Er, but electric armor doesn't have a self rez?