Do you care about arcs or just missions?

DougGraves

While I certainly have no difficulty doing either one-shots or arcs, I make it a point to complete every arc possible; sometimes this is just because the story progression and/or bad guys are interesting, and I enjoy reading over the text pre- and post-mission; other times it's because the arcs are part of an interconnecting narrative that ultimately builds to an AV takedown mission.  Typical examples of the latter are the Hollows multi-contact progression, Striga Isle's buildup to a James Bond-style villain-in-his-stronghold finale, and Faultline's quadrology of contacts that lead to repeated EB/AV scraps.  Of course, the Hollows, Striga and Faultline all have conclusions that allows the player to know that, "I saved lives today.  Yes, they were only virtual; no, they're not going to have any impact on real-world events and it's nothing I can brag about to anyone who ain't into this game...but I still saved lives and it makes me feel good."

Of the arcs that stand out, disconnected from any grand zone-level scheme, the Countess Crey 42-45 arc is by far the most gripping of the bunch.  First time I ever played it, back in...oh, must have been in '05 or thereabouts...I sent a congratulatory e-mail to the Devs, thanking them for putting a story together that, pre-set ending or not, still enthuses me to this day.  The story about how Julianne Thompson became a capitalist, identity-thieving, faux-libertarian monster strikes a chord with comparison to real-world figures that's just a little too close to be funny.

Further point is that those arcs lead to Reward Merits, and I don't believe I have to tell anyone what those little treasures are good for.

• Thumbs Up 1

I do arcs for the merits, But I think it's about time we revamped the rewards system so that team-mates got a cut on arc completion.

• Thumbs Up 2

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

23 minutes ago, Nemu said:

I do arcs for the merits, But I think it's about time we revamped the rewards system so that team-mates got a cut on arc completion.

I'd also like team mates get the option to read ALL the text.  Sure, they can skip by it if they want but the option should be there.

• Thumbs Up 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

I had to think about some arcs I like and dislike before I answered this. Most of the time, the arc I'm doing doesn't matter to me, but I've been around since the beginning times and I understand* the overarching lore to CoH. I'm here for the combat. That being said, most of my favorite arcs basically boil down to multi-part zone stories instead, e.g. Faultline, Striga, Croatoa. When you work with the contacts in these zones, they all have their own conflicts while still existing within the boundaries of their respective dwellings, and these culminate into a final resolution for the entire zone. For the record, I don't feel like revamped AP does the same job.

But, at the end of the day, I can't smash a wall of text. Does not compute with my caveman brain.

And the Lost Cure arc sucks

• Like 1

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

Let's not forget Tip Missions!  I know I know, I'm probably like 1 of 5 people left who still changes alignments the Olde Fashioned Way, without using Null the Gull.

But the Tip missions have some pretty decent writing for your one-off missions. 

I particularly like the writing in the Rogue-to-Hero and the Vigilante-to-Villian tips.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is not an easy question to answer (for me). There is some nostalgia that offers enjoyment of some arcs. There are a few of the 'zone arcs' that I enjoy... and others I find a slog.... or at least not worth the payoff. I also have mixed feelings about the "over-written" arcs that are trying to immerse me in the Lore. I see some artistry, but it gets really boring to encounter these more than once. (ehem, SSA1... especially the Brickstown arc)

I actually prefer the red-side arcs. There are often complaints about a lack of agency (compared to blue side) but I can't really take that complaint seriously. It's not as if blue side contacts offer you agency on your path to accumulate experience. How many heroes have fallen for the same dumb Praetorian tricks in the Tina/Maria arcs?

I don't care about arcs or details to them, really. Sometimes I'll read parts on the wiki. 

If I'm in a mission, I will read the material in caption boxes and word bubbles that flashes on the screen. Also if I'm talking to an NPC, of course. 

I don't solo and I don't have much desire to try and read everything when teaming. This is part of the reason why I don't like the Aeon SF and other missions where it's a flood of text.

On 11/14/2022 at 4:28 PM, MTeague said:

Let's not forget Tip Missions!  I know I know, I'm probably like 1 of 5 people left who still changes alignments the Olde Fashioned Way, without using Null the Gull.

But the Tip missions have some pretty decent writing for your one-off missions. 

I particularly like the writing in the Rogue-to-Hero and the Vigilante-to-Villian tips.

Tons of people play these missions - they're quick and fun. They're a lot like the paper/radio missions.