I'm sure we all wish we could do this to Dietrich.

TorontoSunshine

I tend to just autocomplete rescuing them. Of the three, the generic Longbow grunt is the least annoying.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

On 1/21/2023 at 11:07 PM, Major_Decoy said:

No. Captain Dietrich doesn't bother me at all. A general that runs into melee to smack Ritki with his pistol?

Well, he's less annoying now that him getting defeated doesn't result in mission failure.

*her
Her full name is Wilhelmina Marlena Dietrich.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

This is where I'm glad I can teleport.  I skip the rescue mobs, clear the mission, then go back and get all three of 'em, taking care to run away from them really fast after the rescue so that they stop following me.  This is also how I bear with Serpent Drummer's second mission.

On 1/21/2023 at 11:07 PM, Major_Decoy said:

A general that runs into melee to smack Ritki with his pistol?

Yes, and it always goes so well with the General, I can usually finish a mission without the rescues getting killed, but he has a death wish. Deitrich is just annoyingly over-confident and dismissive.

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

No?

I find the tone of this basic premise unfunny and concerning. Metaphorically feeding a woman to the sharks simply because she is somehow annoying in her efficiency and manner. Whilst I don't particularly like how she is portrayed - officious and pompous - it seems to imply that violence against women (which is a very real problem both in and out of gaming) is permissible and funny. It isn't and I wanted to make the point that this post seems to reinforce attitudes that think it's ok.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

• 2 weeks later
On 1/25/2023 at 7:53 AM, Scarlet Shocker said:

No?

I find the tone of this basic premise unfunny and concerning. Metaphorically feeding a woman to the sharks simply because she is somehow annoying in her efficiency and manner. Whilst I don't particularly like how she is portrayed - officious and pompous - it seems to imply that violence against women (which is a very real problem both in and out of gaming) is permissible and funny. It isn't and I wanted to make the point that this post seems to reinforce attitudes that think it's ok.

I want to make it clear that my post had nothing to do with that.

As pointed out by others, rescues (or in the case of my redsider capers, hostage taking) tend to be frustrating undertakings. After all, who hasn't been in a situation where Lady Jane or that Vanguard soldier suddenly bolts off to attack everything only to die and cause a fail of the mission?  

If you took offence, I meant none on that, or even make that the message of my OP. Dora The Death Doll is a redsider alt modelled after a Skull, and it was meant to be an attempt at dark humour, but that's all it was. Nothing "ok" was intended, and this is coming from someone who plays redside nearly all the time. 

I hope this clarifies everything. 

Edited by TorontoSunshine
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for clarifying

But nobody calls out all the other rescues (there are many males) which are equally annoying.

If a rescue mission was easy, it probably isn't a rescue and the mechanics of rescues in this game are "do any mission but you can't exit quickly because you have to lead somebody to the door and they are slow"

Nobody treats the missing fortune teller in the same way because she gives a badge that is a requirement.

That's all I'm saying.

• Haha 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

I think this thread is lacking some context.  More than just any old rescue being annoying due to mechanics, Lt. Dietrich is MEANT to be annoying as part of the story.  She is written as holding a grudge against Vanguard.  A professional rivalry between Longbow and Vanguard.  What she says to you for a rescue that, despite what she claims, she really did need, is as follows:

'I suppose I should thank you for not bungling this attempted rescue too badly. Other than barging in like a horde of vandals and alerting all Rikti to our investigation, I am certain that you meant well. No more could be expected from undisciplined amateurs. Now, let us see what we can recover from this mess.'

Considering the co-op nature of the RWZ, it should almost have been a requirement to let villains do precisely what is suggested here: Leave her to the Rikti if she doesn't need your 'amateurish bunging'.   That's got everything to do with her petty attitude and nothing to do with her gender.   But the RWZ came a long way before Going Rogue invented options like this.  Speaking of which...

Problematic characters who happen to be male?  I submit, for your consideration, one Westin Phipps, and freely admit one of my favorite missions in this entire game is the vigilante tip mission where the objective is literally, and I quote, "Beat the snot out of Westin Phipps!"😈

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Thanks for clarifying

But nobody calls out all the other rescues (there are many males) which are equally annoying.

If a rescue mission was easy, it probably isn't a rescue and the mechanics of rescues in this game are "do any mission but you can't exit quickly because you have to lead somebody to the door and they are slow"

Nobody treats the missing fortune teller in the same way because she gives a badge that is a requirement.

That's all I'm saying.

Aaron Thiery is my Vigilante alts' favourite annoying person to "off" for so many reasons. Self-righteous, smug little know it all who is the personification of that saying "The Road To Hell Is Paved With Good Intentions". Never liked him from the first mission forward because of his cold analytical reasoning of what heroes must do, not why they do it. Maybe it's my Everlasting server upbringing but I'ved Ouroboros-ed that arc so many times, and not just because of the merits.  

21 hours ago, ZemX said:

"Beat the snot out of Westin Phipps!"😈

He's certainly in my top five as well. 

Edited by TorontoSunshine

1 hour ago, TorontoSunshine said:

Aaron Thiery is my Vigilante alts' favourite annoying person to "off" for so many reasons. Self-righteous, smug little know it all who is the personification of that saying "The Road To Hell Is Paved With Good Intentions". Never liked him from the first mission forward because of his cold analytical reasoning of what heroes must do, not why they do it.

Given Thiery wants to be killed, I always find it far more satisfying to take him in for a nice cold cell.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 10:30 AM, Scarlet Shocker said:

Thanks for clarifying

That's all I'm saying.

I like her. It's not her fault that she's coded to just stand around waiting for you to show. She reacts to you coming to rescue her almost exactly the same way any of us would react to an NPC coming to "rescue" us, if we were stuck in a "only affecting self" bubble until the boss and a minion were defeated.

Honestly, of the NPCs you rescue in the mission, Lt. Sefu Tendaji knocks enemies all over the map and then runs off chasing them. Dude, you can't complain about getting lost when you have the attention span of a gnat.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Major_Decoy said:

Honestly, of the NPCs you rescue in the mission, Lt. Sefu Tendaji knocks enemies all over the map and then runs off chasing them. Dude, you can't complain about getting lost when you have the attention span of a gnat.

I especially like when he knocks one of the "guard" Rikti for one of his allies into the geometry, rendering the mission uncompletable.