Procs per minute calculator?

Vanden

So for single-target powers, proc chance is pretty easy to figure out using Procs Per Minute. You just figure out how many times you can use a given power in a minute and you have a pretty good idea how likely a proc is to fire. For AoE powers, there's a whole other equation factoring the size of the AoE that there's no way that I, personally, can do in my head. Is there some kind of online calculator that will tell you the final proc chance of a proc in an AoE power?

I tried plugging the formula from the procs per minute page into WolframAlpha. I've never used it before, so I may have the syntax wrong or something. Anyway, I was trying to find out if an Obliteration Proc is worth putting in Lightning Rod, in light of its enormous radius. Here's what I have. P is Procs per minute of the proc, T is recharge time, C is activation time, R is radius (which I just guessed at, because the info window only tells you the activation range of the power), and A is the width of the cone (360 since it's a PBAoE). And the result is there's about a 50% chance of the proc going off? Is that right?

That doesn't look like the formula on the main procs per minute page. And I'm not sure how to apply that formula's output to varying rates of procs per minute?

That formula is i23.  One of the significant i24 changes was to update it and apply it universally to all procs.  As far as I know, we're using the i24 formula; if we aren't, then PPM aren't even relevant to non-Attuned sets anyway.

Here's what I have . . . P is Procs per minute of the proc, T is recharge time, C is activation time, R is radius (which I just guessed at, because the info window only tells you the activation range of the power), and A is the width of the cone (360 since it's a PBAoE). And the result is there's about a 50% chance of the proc going off? Is that right?

I dunno, man, I didn't do it.  If the formula's not right the results aren't, and I haven't actually tested the formula.

For what it's worth, that sounds in the ballpark to me; the total time for the power is nearly a minute (you're .2 off on the cast time, but w/e), it's got a target cap of 10, the game doesn't linearly discount by target cap, and it's telling you it'll affect ~4.5 targets per minute on a ~3.5ppm baseline proc.

No-Set Builds: Tanker Scrapper Brute Stalker

• 3 weeks later

Is it better to slot a proc in a single target or PBAoE attack?

The answer to that question depends on the enhanced recharge of the power, the cast time of the power, the radius of the PBAoE attack power, and the number of targets the PBAoE can hit. Feel free to check out this thread for some of the current findings with the PPM mechanization. What Proc and powers are you considering? I can help more with that information.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

Is it better to slot a proc in a single target or PBAoE attack?

The answer to that question depends on the enhanced recharge of the power, the cast time of the power, the radius of the PBAoE attack power, and the number of targets the PBAoE can hit. Feel free to check out this thread for some of the current findings with the PPM mechanization. What Proc and powers are you considering? I can help more with that information.

I'm looking to slot the 'Chance for +Res (All)' proc from the Superior Might of The Tanker set. I'm Psi Melee and thinking about putting it in either Mass Levitate (the PBAoE) or Greater Psi Blade.

I'm looking to slot the 'Chance for +Res (All)' proc from the Superior Might of The Tanker set. I'm Psi Melee and thinking about putting it in either Mass Levitate (the PBAoE) or Greater Psi Blade.

You should definitely put it in your Mass Levitate. Since you're looking to only affect yourself, having up to 10 opportunities to proc is better than 1 opportunity. That said, if it came down to a single boss, and you have no other minions to proc off of, then single target would be optimal. But generally speaking, go PBAoE. And if you can, minimize the enhanced recharge in the power to better improve the proc performance per activation.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

You should definitely put it in your Mass Levitate. Since you're looking to only affect yourself, having up to 10 opportunities to proc is better than 1 opportunity. That said, if it came down to a single boss, and you have no other minions to proc off of, then single target would be optimal. But generally speaking, go PBAoE. And if you can, minimize the enhanced recharge in the power to better improve the proc performance per activation.

Makes sense. Looks like I'll put it in Mass Levitate. Thanks for the advice. :)

Before you do, I just noticed something. Since the Proc is 5 PPM, you can actually maintain a 90% chance to proc if you keep the recharge enhancing below 80%. As for Mass Levitate, if you had the same 80% recharge slotted, you would need to hit 3 targets to get to 90%. So definitely keep that in mind.

However, if you're looking to use Superior ATO and 6 slot it, you will have a recharge of approximately 100%. That would drop your probability with the ST to 83.3% chance to proc, while the PBAoE will have a 49% chance to proc off each target. If you hit 3, your chances of Proc'ing at least once is 86.8%, with 5 targets it's 96.6%.  I also see that it stacks, so perhaps if you hit more than 1 target in the attack, you will stack with the one attack. That would be ideal. So in the end, if you plan to need it for mobs, definitely put it into the PBAoE. For a ST baddie (an AV that just won't go down), you might want to put it in your single target attack

Before you do, I just noticed something. Since the Proc is 5 PPM, you can actually maintain a 90% chance to proc if you keep the recharge enhancing below 80%. As for Mass Levitate, if you had the same 80% recharge slotted, you would need to hit 3 targets to get to 90%. So definitely keep that in mind.

However, if you're looking to use Superior ATO and 6 slot it, you will have a recharge of approximately 100%. That would drop your probability with the ST to 83.3% chance to proc, while the PBAoE will have a 49% chance to proc off each target. If you hit 3, your chances of Proc'ing at least once is 86.8%, with 5 targets it's 96.6%.  I also see that it stacks, so perhaps if you hit more than 1 target in the attack, you will stack with the one attack. That would be ideal. So in the end, if you plan to need it for mobs, definitely put it into the PBAoE. For a ST baddie (an AV that just won't go down), you might want to put it in your single target attack

I'm going to be using it for mobs so I'll stick it in Mass Levitate. +inf

• 3 weeks later

Here is a Wolfram formula that I have been using.

For this formula the editable values are:

B: (B)ase Recharge of the power

E: (E)nhancement to Recharge (As a percentage, this does not include global recharge like set bonuses & hasten.)

A: (A)nimation time (Not arcana-times, the actual in game listed values)

P: (P)roc Per Minute rating of the enhancement

R: ®adius of the power if it is an AOE/Cone (If the power is a single target set this to 0.)

C: Ar© of the cone. (360 if the power is an AOE)

I put this formula together for my own purposes and after using it for a while I can say anecdotally that the numbers it spits out do seem to line up with the frequency at which things proc in game. However it is possible that the part of the formula that says (P * 1.25) should actually just be P, ie  (P * 1). The reason for this is that although it was indicated by synapse that proc values would increase by 25% I cant find absolute evidence that this 25% increase was implemented into their i24 formula prior to shutdown. That said, again using anecdotal evidence only, it does appear to have been.

Nah im not referring to that, here's what im talking about:

https://web.archive.org/web/20120906120102/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?p=4215484#post4215484

This is after much wrangling with the community over his initial proposals that he ended up at this implementation which uses enhanced recharge only rather than all recharge including global bonuses, but also has a lower boost to PPMs, 25%.

Scrolling down in the same thread you can see he uses the +25% to ppm's for his other example calculations. That said I still dont know if they went ahead and slapped that +25% into the formula before shutdown or not.

I think the Procs were updated to reflect the 25% increase. So the formula should (likely) just be P. For example, the FF proc used to be 1.5 PPM, but is now 2 PPM. That's why I assume the procs were just updated.