Move Jessica Megan Duncan Over Next to War Witch

Wravis

6 minutes ago, Wravis said:

Read the thread again. Several people have expressed their support now. Sorry if change scares you.

Tell me how moving her to the side next to War Witch would be inconvenient to anyone.

Why are you claiming I'm unwilling to find a better spot for her? I suggested she be moved and offered a possible location. You haven't given any reason having her on the side with War Witch is a bad idea. All you're doing is making claims about things that may or may not have happened in 2012.

🙂 You think my example is stupid and I think yours is. Sorry you aren't able to see the benefit of things that aren't specifically catered to your interests.

If the RP community is fine with her being there, then move her! All I am saying is there is nowhere in Pocket D where there isn't an RP group using the available space for their RP. So get with the RP community and hash out where to move her. Because so far? You do not have comments from the community saying they are fine with her there. And I am willing to bet that this time next year when she is over there, there is going to be a post here on the forums angry because now they have even less space than before to RP because Liberty showed up there and with War Witch is further reducing the available space. (I'm willing to bet those felines that @twozerofoxtrot mentioned aren't even in Pocket D any more because there was no place to move them that didn't face opposition.)

I am reading the thread. I understand your position. I am simply not willing to move her to inconveniece someone else.

Wow look at this perfect spot that exists that isn't used by RPers.

image.png.525c88cb3a5c9d2458a762a771d934c0.png
Man if only someone had suggested that spot before you spent all this time arguing.

• Haha 1

Give me money to draw your characters!

Visit one of the public RP spaces I've made on Everlasting!
Cabin-8752 - Funplex-11364 - Crash-15210 - Law-18824 - Exploreonfoot-20176 - Upside-14574 - Boardwalk-23004 - Gym-25035 - Chicken-25922 - Campus-25500 - Choochoo-28184

3 minutes ago, Wravis said:

Wow look at this perfect spot that exists that isn't used by RPers.

image.png.525c88cb3a5c9d2458a762a771d934c0.png
Man if only someone had suggested that spot before you spent all this time arguing.

On 2/8/2023 at 4:08 PM, Rudra said:

Capture.JPG.7f6ab8afc6337f6b95bc16c44dd628d0.JPG

Looks like RP is available still.

Wow, look at all that space not being used by RP'ers. If only someone had suggested that spot before you started this thread. There may not be people in any given space when you are there, but that does not mean the space is not used.

This conversation has again devolved. I'm done with this thread. It has always been up to the devs as to what happens, so let them decide. Since you are unwilling to actually get with the community you insist is being made to suffer.

1 minute ago, Rudra said:

Wow, look at all that space not being used by RP'ers. If only someone had suggested that spot before you started this thread. There may not be people in any given space when you are there, but that does not mean the space is not used.

This conversation has again devolved. I'm done with this thread. It has always been up to the devs as to what happens, so let them decide. Since you are unwilling to actually get with the community you insist is being made to suffer.

I made a thread suggesting a change. Several people expressed their support. Several people who don't RP said they don't see the point. You stomped your feet and complained without any reason for not supporting it other than "but the community hasn't been consulted!"

Do you expect me to start a change.org petition and get signatures from everyone in Pocket D?

Cabin-8752 - Funplex-11364 - Crash-15210 - Law-18824 - Exploreonfoot-20176 - Upside-14574 - Boardwalk-23004 - Gym-25035 - Chicken-25922 - Campus-25500 - Choochoo-28184

If the NPC was there for the entire year and not a minuscule three week period, I would probably say sure why not to moving her.

This though just seems like a waste of time for an already volunteer development group to bother to mess with when the easiest course of action is some players will just have to move somewhere else for a couple weeks until they can get their sacred spot back.

if they feel like doing it for next year’s event, sure have at it.

Edited by Starforge

47 minutes ago, Starforge said:

If the NPC was there for the entire year and not a minuscule three week period, I would probably say sure why not to moving her.

This though just seems like a waste of time for an already volunteer development group to bother to mess with when the easiest course of action is some players will just have to move somewhere else for a couple weeks until they can get their sacred spot back.

if they feel like doing it for next year’s event, sure have at it.

As I said in the first post. If it's a time consuming thing, do it next year. Though I'm not sure why people keep claiming it's some arduous task to move an NPC. Would you say it's a waste of time if all it takes it logging in and typing in a command to move her? Do you know it would be a time consuming change or are you just guessing?

Everyone has adjusted. No one has seen her in that spot and had a meltdown and stopped RPing. It doesn't mean people haven't seen her and thought "I wish they hadn't put her there".

I'm not arguing because this is some sacred spot that must be preserved. It's just a spot people like to use. I know there's other places people can and do RP. 

I'm just tired of people who don't RP saying there's no reason to make changes for RPers. And RPers who look down on those who RP in Pocket D. Who don't RP in Pocket D, chiming in to say they don't think it's worth it. If they dropped her in the middle of your SG base for a month would you be as dismissive?

Edited by Wravis
  • Thumbs Down 3

5 minutes ago, Wravis said:

If they dropped her in the middle of your SG base for a month would you be as dismissive?

This hypothetical doesn't work since Devs/GMs aren't adding mission NPCs to anyone's bases to begin with. Would be a neat opportunity to edit the base around a working NPC I suppose.

14 minutes ago, Starforge said:

This hypothetical doesn't work since Devs/GMs aren't adding mission NPCs to anyone's bases to begin with. Would be a neat opportunity to edit the base around a working NPC I suppose.

"They're not effecting my RP space. Why should I care about yours?"

4 hours ago, Wravis said:

You think my example is stupid and I think yours is. Sorry you aren't able to see the benefit of things that aren't specifically catered to your interests.

I commend to you for your consideration: "The first rule of being in a hole is to stop digging".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

• Retired Developer

I don't think there's anything wrong with this suggestion at all. Moving NPCs around is something we've done before and will continue to do if we feel it's necessary. It also isn't something that takes more than a few minutes to do. For people who are just there to cash in merits, change their costume, or get a mission, the NPC placement typically has little effect on them.

Pocket D's layout and NPC placement when Roleplayer's are taken into consideration however, is still fraught with problems for the same reasons OP mentions and it's far from perfect, at least in my opinion. I know that there are varying differences in opinion internally on this.

If we were to follow the Feng Shui thought process of where things are that draw traffic in and out, then it's easy to see why not many roleplayers chose to use Sam's bar: it's right between an elevator and the Tiki Bar (added post original design), and there is constant traffic rushing back and forth against an area that ought to be stable (there's also the side effect of chat clutter from upstairs. Not many people chit-chat around the pool tables on the blueside version for probably similar reasons).

The other red bar, for the longest time since Animal Heads got released, had a trio of NPCs basically hogging up the sitting area on the bar. This isn't the only reason people favor blue-side, but ever since those were moved, it's actually gotten more use the way it used to beforehand.

Null the Gull, the parked truck, and now the Hologram Vendor and Vault Reserve (all post additions) are still a mild problem though, for roleplayers spending any length of time there.

The other bars that are tucked away and don't see a lot of use unless things are very busy and crowded are like that for their own reasons.

The problems that tend to arise for roleplayers specifically, is that half the people coming and going, or worse, idling, are not there to roleplay. There's nothing worse than having a mission goer go afk with full shields on for periods of time next to you or your area, particularly when it involves gaudy colors or constant woosh, woosh, woosh sounds. It's like trying to read a book while someone is blasting heavy metal. These FX are designed to be loud and grab attention, both visually and audibly. There is a huge flip in mood and expectation when you're trying to roleplay or you're just off doing something else. The fact you may not play with sound on has little bearing on the fact it may be disturbing to another.

So these problem are real and have their own real life considerations when talking about foot traffic in an area, or designing areas that are going to receive high traffic while also expecting players are going to want to sit down and hang out somewhere for awhile. The blue bar has no NPCs near it that bring non-roleplayers into view or proximity typically. War Witch was famously moved for this reason (I don't think she's in a good spot still).

If you look at who hangs out around War Witch on Everlasting on a busy night, and for how long, then it's easy to see why Duncan being placed on the opposite side could be annoying (when roleplaying). The 2nd blue bar already has the staircase traffic, and the traffic of farmers coming and going to the AE, so bringing regular players even closer to that space makes it worse.

The idea that players are not allowed to be bothered by such things or make suggestions appealing to the developers because it's a "public space" or it doesn't bother you specifically is silly when Instanced Hami Raids and /kick for SG bases are popular asks that effectively give players more agency and control over their otherwise public events and personally owned, but public spaces. DJ Zero isn't a real human you can appeal to if you have a problem with someone or something like a privately owned base that's public where the owner would appeal to us for /kick to make their life easier. You also can't appeal to DJ Zero if the sound effect of that one item is way too loud next to a popular area. Asking if we can move an NPC is peanuts in terms of development time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 5