Goldside ambushes should give XP.

Greycat

So as I'm actually dusting off a goldsider and playing them a bit, I'm finding I'm missing something.

Namely, XP.

Yes, Goldside is ambush-central. You trip on the curb, and ten things ambush you. But if you're spending time fighting them (and they're not grey,) *you should get XP for them.) It's not just one group either - I've had to fight ghouls (Dr. Hertzog...her... whatever, brain-boy) 's arc and Bobcat's (Hunt down Shen, Syndicate.)

You can see exactly when I go from fighting (even con) placed mobs to (even con) ambushes... which take the same, if not more, work, given they're larger groups -

image.png.953b50b99b0775d8b396665012b00189.png

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

14 minutes ago, biostem said:

Would it be exploitable, though, if you can reliably trigger them?

There's a limited number, and they're not that different - other than not giving XP - from any other ambushes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I find the lack of xp on those missions' ambushes frustrating too. However, it does feel like you are swamped with a seemingly infinite number of ambushes, at least on the Shen arc. The ambushes do eventually stop, but that is a massive pile of xp being denied gold siders. (Which given how quickly we already out-level everything, especially gold side, I may actually be fine with now that I think about it.)

• Like 1

I was gonna say the same that you out level the contacts.  But its required to turn off xp to not out level the contacts if the ambushes gave xp or not.  At the very least they should give inf and salvage/recipes if they dont already.  Its not like they are free enemy kills,  they have attacks and use them against us.  And unlike the circle of thorns and rikti portal spawns,  the number of goldside ambushes was intentional.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Major_Decoy said:

Edit: And in my experience, they don't run out.

I think it is like the ambushes in that Reischmann TF( or SF?) with all the ambushes. They keep coming until a timer runs out. I know the ambushes from Reischmann finally end after 20 minutes of spawning enemies (since that was how long my friends and I had to camp outside the room smacking 5th Column before they stopped appearing each time we ran it), but I only think the Syndicate ambushes end. (If I can weather the ambushes, I only stay and fight until there is a pause in thugs jumping me, then immediately exit the mission. Never stuck around to see if there were any more ambushes on their way.) If there is no time limit for the Syndicate ambushes? Then that would be a very good reason for them to not give xp.

• Like 1

In the mission where you need to run in, defeat Shen (I think is the boss) and you started getting attacked by a bunch of minions with less health than normal and a noticeably lower to-hit chance, I've tried to keep fighting those minions and they never seemed to run out. Eventually I just decided that I wasn't going to get to the point where I could take the boss on solo and gave up trying to defeat them all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Major_Decoy said:

In the mission where you need to run in, defeat Shen (I think is the boss) and you started getting attacked by a bunch of minions with less health than normal and a noticeably lower to-hit chance, I've tried to keep fighting those minions and they never seemed to run out. Eventually I just decided that I wasn't going to get to the point where I could take the boss on solo and gave up trying to defeat them all.

Rudra's correct.  The Syndicate ambushes are like the Barracuda SF ambushes.  They do eventually end, it just takes a long time to get there.

If it takes time to get through them, then it deserves XP.

No XP violates the risk v. reward rule.

Claiming that triggering them reliably could be exploitable is a bogus claim; Street sweeping is reliable, too... no one took XP away from that.  And if the ambushes are potentially infinite, meaning you could just stand there in a repeating burn patch and collect XP without doing anything, then the ambush mechanic should be fixed rather than skipping on the XP.

No XP stuff is ALWAYS skippable content for me.

14 minutes ago, Player2 said:

If it takes time to get through them, then it deserves XP.

No XP violates the risk v. reward rule.

Claiming that triggering them reliably could be exploitable is a bogus claim; Street sweeping is reliable, too... no one took XP away from that.  And if the ambushes are potentially infinite, meaning you could just stand there in a repeating burn patch and collect XP without doing anything, then the ambush mechanic should be fixed rather than skipping on the XP.

No XP stuff is ALWAYS skippable content for me.

You're not required to fight the ambushes. You can just go take down the boss and exit the mission via the mission exit button just fine. The ambushes are very much skippable, and that was intentional.

15 hours ago, Major_Decoy said:

In the mission where you need to run in, defeat Shen (I think is the boss) and you started getting attacked by a bunch of minions with less health than normal and a noticeably lower to-hit chance, I've tried to keep fighting those minions and they never seemed to run out.

They run out. There were a couple of ambushes (they even managed to stack and attack together,) but they're not infinite.  Typically there are 3-5.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Greycat said:

They run out. There were a couple of ambushes (they even managed to stack and attack together,) but they're not infinite.  Typically there are 3-5.

The best is when you stealth run to Shen and trigger all of them at once.  I ate so many purples. :classic_laugh:

Between this mission, the 'Stop the Destroyers from wrecking the TPN' and I think one more mission gold side, there is a lot of effort put into the mission, for little to no XP. While I can understand the mobs are 'lower' tier, more like underlings then actual minions, they should still give some XP, even if it 'Underling' levels, like Rikti Monkeys, or the swarms from DE.

• Thumbs Up 1