Happy Pi day

Just remember that radians are cursed.

• A unit circle has a radius of 1.
  • One radian is the arc subtended by a distance along a circle's circumference equal to the radius.
  • One radian is about 57.3°
  • A unit circle therefore has a radius of about 57.3°

1 hour ago, srmalloy said:

Just remember that radians are cursed.

• A unit circle has a radius of 1.
  • One radian is the arc subtended by a distance along a circle's circumference equal to the radius.
  • One radian is about 57.3°
  • A unit circle therefore has a radius of about 57.3°

Someone reads Saturday Morning Breakfast Comics.

• Thumbs Up 1

So my kid comes home from school today and is like "Hey, it's national chip day!"

image.jpeg.89a5e396f4211b2771f9dc02ae6bc6da.jpeg

And I'm like, "haha, funny, no it's not."

Dad Laugh GIFs | Tenor

And they're like, "Yes it is, the teacher said it was national chip day!"

image.jpeg.556ee72f4b6b900c1ab5015af16865c6.jpeg

And I'm like, "No, it is most definitively Pi(e) Day."

image.jpeg.21b9e4c4bcc2886edbe53931ecf70c1e.jpeg

And then even my spouse was like, "Yeah, see," shows me phone screen, "national chip day."

image.jpeg.834361d1d57e313a360e5d9688e9b50d.jpegimage.jpeg.aa2e24b8ee31ece826321fdeff8de93c.jpeg

And I'm like "THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!"

Flipping Tables / (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ | Know Your Meme

And I'm about to storm off to the school and demand to speak to whatever Nazi-Chip-Psycho misinformed my kid...

Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson says he 'felt like a hippopotamus' after being  knocked out at Bellator 237 in Japan

Eventually I calm down though and my spouse runs out for dinner and is like "What do you want?" And I say "I want Pie, something that can go into a pie shell, dagnabbit it's pie day!"

And you know what they bring home?

Easy Crustless Mini Quiche Recipe - Haute & Healthy Living

Crustless MINI quiche abominations. So I said "Fine! I'll go eat a chip." And this is what I grabbed:

image.jpeg.bb7c06fcedd46a6232ba0258608d94dd.jpeg

• Haha 2

They are not chips. Those. Are. Crisps.

Chips.thumb.jpg.b2e9610aca1efc7095ca3c5cd804e68c.jpg

THESE are chips. These are NOT noncy, skinny, unsatisfying "french fries" (they ain't French)  - these are the kind of chips you eat in a butty or out of newspaper with a fish, plus lashings of salt and vinegar.

crisps.thumb.jpg.dc02b385d213f692cfd470fbbf155a3e.jpg

These things... these are crisps. (They can also be eaten with lots of salt and vinegar, or cheese and onion and very occasionally, hedgehog.

None of the above is pie.

Edited by Scarlet Shocker
glorp
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

It's half-Tau day, darnit!

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/let-s-use-tau-it-s-easier-than-pi/

Edited by DoctorDitko
profanity added

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

On 3/15/2023 at 4:43 AM, Scarlet Shocker said:

THESE are chips. These are NOT noncy, skinny, unsatisfying "french fries" (they ain't French)  - these are the kind of chips you eat in a butty or out of newspaper with a fish, plus lashings of salt and vinegar.

These things... these are crisps. (They can also be eaten with lots of salt and vinegar, or cheese and onion and very occasionally, hedgehog.

I would consider these as french fries.

l-intro-1675189576.jpg

And these to be potato wedges.

maxresdefault.jpg

Not to be confused with ...

goldenoriginal_front_copy_551x700.png?v=

.... says what it is on the bag.

I think we all know it's a "football" thing.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

4 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

These are NOT noncy, skinny, unsatisfying "french fries" (they ain't French) 

Actually, they are French. Thomas Jefferson had "potatoes served in the French manner" at a White House dinner in 1802, and the expression "French fried potatoes" first appeared in print in English in an 1856 cookbook, while the first recipe for what is clearly modern French fries is in the 1795 French cookbook La Cuisinière Républicaine.

On 3/15/2023 at 8:43 AM, Scarlet Shocker said:

Irony.

Pi has never been 14.03, as far as I'm aware.

1 hour ago, SteelRat70 said:

Irony.

Pi has never been 14.03, as far as I'm aware.

It was Pi Day (American) (which cannot be written as American Pi day without people referencing a movie). Pi Day is properly celebrated on July 22.

That being said, if you want to celebrate Tau day, you have to use the American Date system. Or you can declare that Every Day is Tau day, and eat two pies whenever you want.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, srmalloy said:

Actually, they are French. Thomas Jefferson had "potatoes served in the French manner" at a White House dinner in 1802, and the expression "French fried potatoes" first appeared in print in English in an 1856 cookbook, while the first recipe for what is clearly modern French fries is in the 1795 French cookbook La Cuisinière Républicaine.

In both cases they're most definitely just referring to a julienne cut, which is called (by Americans) a french cut in cooking, which is just length-wise thin strips. What we assume to be "potatoes served in the French manner" was probably just hash browns.

Not as exciting eh?

7 hours ago, Major_Decoy said:

It was Pi Day (American) (which cannot be written as American Pi day without people referencing a movie). Pi Day is properly celebrated on July 22.

That being said, if you want to celebrate Tau day, you have to use the American Date system. Or you can declare that Every Day is Tau day, and eat two pies whenever you want.

SS is english and is pointing out (with caps and exclamation marks ;) ) the American / British differences between "Chips" and "Crisps", as well as "biscuits" and "Scones" but makes a post about and by proxy acknowledging a day that only works in an American date format.

That's where the irony is :)

I guess we'll have the same conversation on the 20th April.  "What's the big deal about 20/04"...

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Major_Decoy said:

two pi or not to pi, that is the question!

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

3 hours ago, SteelRat70 said:

acknowledging a day that only works in an American date format.

Pi day is more accurately represented on a European date format. 22/7 is closer to pi than 3.14. There was some nonsense about March 14, 2015 at 09:26:53, but that required deciding "oh, the twenty and the zero don't matter, it's totally appropriate to read 03/14/2015 at 09:26:53 as 3.141592653" Feh.

But Pi is about diameters instead of radii, so it's flawed.

6 hours ago, Sir Myshkin said:

What we assume to be "potatoes served in the French manner" was probably just hash browns.

You can document the progression of fried potatoes in French cooking; the earliest recipes describe the potatoes cut in disks and pan-fried, through dipping the disks in a batter made with potato flour, but it was seen as a lower-class food, and would not have been served at a formal function. It took potatoes becoming a food acceptable to the upper classes for the French fry as we know it to be created; the lower classes would not have been able to afford to have that amount of lard just sitting around to be used for deep-frying.

Nerds!! - revenge of the nerds ogre - Meme Generator

And Cherry Pie is best Pi.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

16 hours ago, srmalloy said:

I think you meant to reply to @Scarlet Shocker

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Is this turning into a west-side-of-The-Pond vs. east-side-of-The-Pond thing?  Because I refuse to discuss chips, crisps, and fries while a population cannot even figure out what a "pudding" is.

image.png.e7051f2ee331439c76850e587a3208a3.pngimage.png.b176476eed3f4d4383ad1c8d3ac419c6.pngimage.png.6b65261ee04c9a4e9bb3964f87eabba5.png

At least we on the western shores have it figured out.  We can even turn it into a pie:

image.png.07d881dd39bc505854f1aedee3062f3b.png

( 😉 ♥️ ✌️ )

• Haha 1