which Brute should i make next?

hakurr

i have been going back and forth trying to figure out what i want to make next. i narrowed it down to a brute and i know i want to do Fire Armor. i think i have it down to Martial Arts or Titan Weapon.  i have attached both builds so you can see the potential of both and see what you guys think.

Brute - Martial Arts - Fiery Aura.mxd

Brute - Titan Weapon - Fiery Aura.mxd

Edited by hakurr

Both are gonna be super thirsty. Invest in Recovery Serum!

I agree with Snarky but personally I find it easier to build a concept for a TW/Fire brute.

Some sort of heavy metal war god or something. 

Bonus points if you go full "Heavy Metal" and the character is like an elf goddess in leather or something. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gobbledygook said:

Paging @Sovera

Sovera to the front office, pleaae.

Wait, hold on, I got it....

*inhales*...

Ice Melee/Fire Armor

• Haha 5

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

5 hours ago, Spaghetti Betty said:

Wait, hold on, I got it....

*inhales*...

Ice Melee/Fire Armor

*breaks through a wall* BEST COMBO FOR A... Oh, it was bait. Clever girl...

Ahem..

With TW you sort of miss the of fire Armor since Burn will just interrupt your attacks and eat into your Momentum time and TW is a very busy set because of this mechanic. You -can- save Burn for when your Momentum is down but tbh TW has enough AoE on its own. This can lead to a case of ignoring Burn and just using Fiery Embrace/Consume, which is valid I suppose. FA is not as squishy as it used to but I'm not sure I'd recommend it on FE's merits alone.

As for the MA variant I've sung its praises enough. I haven't actually done a Brute with this combo because of the lack of early AoE. Even after the patch that allows to pick powers earlier the earliest is still at 22 and the second at 24. Which is a loooooot of time to go around hitting things in pure ST. One day the god devs may give a pass to MA and do the smart thing of not giving the set four single target attacks before level 20 and the set's singular AoE to appear at now 22. Swapping Crippling Axe Kick for Dragon Tail seems entirely logical.

But outside of that it is still possible to build an extraordinarily tough Brute with 45% defense to Melee/Ranged/AoE, it just will not have the full resistances of a Tanker by having a hole in E/N (around 60% instead of 90%) but still 90% for S/L. The Tanker version allows to prevent this by having Burn at 18.

TW is probably ahead if looking at it from a spreadsheet angle but TW's a pianist's build with the non Momentum initial moves are a drag. It has places for FF to speed up Burn/FE/Consume/Healing Flames but as mentioned above TW is a busy set.

MA is weaker on numbers but it has a simple attack chain, still has places for FF procs, and while Dragon Tail hits like a wet noodle it also animates fast and recharges fast leading not to big numbers but spam. Spam is good since large numbers of enemies are FA's weakness if they come with debuffs attached so keeping mobs flopping with the AoE KD is good, and that AoE KD procs FF which in turns speeds up Burn's return with the bonus of also speeding Consume/Healing Flames/Fiery Embrace. So MA is a bit deceptive since its numbers are weaker but it has synergy with CD heavy secondaries.

I did not look at the builds yet but once you decide which you'll be wanting to try I can do that.

• Like 4

i want to thank everyone for the feed back i am not sure what my next brute will be i was leaning toward Martial Arts / Fire but i may do ???/Rad just have not figured it out yet. i tend to lean toward a more tank style brute and i like a lot of aoe attacks just not sure what will fit my play style yet.

3 hours ago, hakurr said:

i want to thank everyone for the feed back i am not sure what my next brute will be i was leaning toward Martial Arts / Fire but i may do ???/Rad just have not figured it out yet. i tend to lean toward a more tank style brute and i like a lot of aoe attacks just not sure what will fit my play style yet.

Fire melee is rocking my socks atm. Axe is also fun and has good enough AoE.

Fire melee is on my list i already have a Fire/Axe tanker and a Shield / Axe tanker love them both the new axe is alot of fun. my only concern with fire is like that big crunching feel whin i hit stuff with powers like axe but what a different power than axe/mace/sword so not sure what to choose

• Thumbs Up 1

Go Martial Arts/Rad for reasons below:  

Hasn't Titan Weapons been nerfed?  I quite playing my Titan/Rad brute after the nerf to TW.   The animations were super long unless you get the momentum flowing.  But the damage was amazing.  After they nerfed it, I didn't want to endure the animations if there was no payoff at the end.  If they ever fixed it, maybe I will bring him back. 

I rolled a War Mace/Rad to take his place.  Quite fun, plays well and is super tanky. 

Radiation Armor is my favorite defensive set for Brutes. It has one of the best T9 as it has no downside.

I heard Fire Melee was buffed, which is great, but I'm not a huge fan conceptually because it lacks AOE unless (unless, unless) you roll a Fire/Fire because you get some nice AoE and Fiery Embrace, so two Damage Buffs, one that buffs your Fire damage for a long time.  Also the change to Rise of the Phoenix is great.

I really like Rad/Fire a lot as it has two damage auras. My farmer is Rad/Fire but is kitted out to handle any content.  

I rolled a Psionic Melee/Dark awhile back, I recently fully kitted her out. It's decent! Went Psi/Dark/En to get some more Endurance buffs. She's end heavy without Incarnates.

Maybe not great for beginners.  If you run out of End, just die and hit Soul Transfer and come back with full health, full end.  

Katana/Rad would be awesome.  I have an Inv/Katana tank.  Katana has Parry which is super helpful to clear defense debuffs, also improves your melee defense A TON.

The other powers with Parry are pretty meh, except maybe Martial Arts.  But Titans Weapons has Parry in Defensive Sweep, but they nerfed TW. 

Edited by IronJuke

On 3/24/2023 at 7:12 AM, hakurr said:

Fire melee is on my list i already have a Fire/Axe tanker and a Shield / Axe tanker love them both the new axe is alot of fun. my only concern with fire is like that big crunching feel whin i hit stuff with powers like axe but what a different power than axe/mace/sword so not sure what to choose

Glad to see axe got buffed!  I used to play Inv/Axe Tanker on live. 

Maybe Axe is the new Titan Weapon in terms of fun factor.  

3 hours ago, IronJuke said:

Go Martial Arts/Rad for reasons below

i have tried martial art a few times i just can not get in to it.  

3 hours ago, IronJuke said:

Hasn't Titan Weapons been nerfed?  I quite playing my Titan/Rad brute after the nerf to TW.   The animations were super long unless you get the momentum flowing.  But the damage was amazing.  After they nerfed it, I didn't want to endure the animations if there was no payoff at the end.  If they ever fixed it, maybe I will bring him back. 

ya i had a Titan Weapon toon when it first came out it was awesome. they ruined Titan Weapon in my mind i mean they have done a lot of great things here  but they really killed Titan Weapon. 

i know i have decided on Radiation Armor for sure either tank or brute now to settle on what my offensive ability will be?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, hakurr said:

i have tried martial art a few times i just can not get in to it.  

ya i had a Titan Weapon toon when it first came out it was awesome. they ruined Titan Weapon in my mind i mean they have done a lot of great things here  but they really killed Titan Weapon. 

i know i have decided on Radiation Armor for sure either tank or brute now to settle on what my offensive ability will be?

I hear you on MA. Guess I misread your message. I may try axe again myself, I just read it's on Scrapper's now (what the heck?) All of the attacks do very high damage and with the knockdown, that has to be the ticket. 

i know on my Fire/Axe Tank i hit axe cyclone and it pulls everything to me and knocks them down set off burn then cleave and pendulum witch both know just about everything down then it is a rinse and repeat it really is fun to pull them in burn them and knock them on there butts. i tried it on a brute was good don't get me wrong but the tank version hits a lot more enemies.

• Thumbs Up 1

• hakurr changed the title to which Brute should i make next?
18 hours ago, IronJuke said:

hear you on MA. Guess I misread your message. I may try axe again myself, I just read it's on Scrapper's now (what the heck?) All of the attacks do very high damage and with the knockdown, that has to be the ticket. 

3 attacks that are basically the same animation time. Hits hard and fast, imagine damage cap with fulcrum shift and fiery embrace going

• Thumbs Up 1

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer