Storm Blast needs help, bad.

DangerKitty

3 hours ago, Hjarki said:

When the set was being developed, I suggested the set would be far more fluid and 'fun' if Storm Cell were simply a large radius PBAoE toggle. I still hold that view - if you could just zip around, certain that everyone in your vicinity was in the Storm Cell, it would be a far more effective/enjoyable spec to play.

If it worked more like Carrion Creepers and just spawned instead of this weird follow you around slowly mechanic I think that would be an improvement. I have also had this weird thing where one guy runs off and the " cell " seems to follow him.. 

On 8/12/2023 at 4:57 PM, Hjarki said:

When the set was being developed, I suggested the set would be far more fluid and 'fun' if Storm Cell were simply a large radius PBAoE toggle. I still hold that view - if you could just zip around, certain that everyone in your vicinity was in the Storm Cell, it would be a far more effective/enjoyable spec to play.

But then it might as well not even be a power. It's just a thing that's always effective, always hitting everyone?

On 7/3/2023 at 5:08 AM, The Bagman said:

2 Storm Cell is ok, but is slow to follow so you end up recasting it again and again. If it followed you a bit more closely or worked like a pet it might be better.

Yeah I'd prefer if it at least followed a lot faster to save on recasts. The set feels clearly balanced around using this power with continuous uptime. Or if just *having* the power enabled a proc chance to summon it on your other powers as a way of forcefully relocating it.

Edited by OverkillEngine
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's a shame, because I think Direct Strike or whatever it's called might be one of my favorite animations in the game. So great to Zeus-strike a guy with lightning.

Unfortunately, the aesthetic doesn't outweigh the "feel" that I just can't do the damage that I want.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later

On teams i can see how this set would feel as underperforming

Solo i've personally found it to be fairly strong and only slightly slow due to setup mechanics

but arrows/arrows anything is slower.

One area i have noticed storm/storm suffers greatly is during ambushes.

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

• 2 weeks later

As a multi-blaster main-er, I really enjoy my T4 incarnate storm/nin/cold blaster and solo fine at +4×8 in DA. It does require a bit of cognizance regarding what order you use what powers and when. It also necessitates forethought regarding what you'd do if something like an ambush happens. I felt I needed snow storm for cat 5, but I love hibernate and frozen armor on squishies anyway. I am still not a fan of having to recast storm cell, but overall the set is aesthetically and functionally pleasing to play when paired with some helper powers,  I/Os, and accolades.

Edited by VashNKnives

12 minutes ago, VashNKnives said:

As a multi-blaster main-er, I really enjoy my T4 incarnate storm/nin/cold blaster and solo fine at +4×8 in DA. It does require a bit of cognizance regarding what order you use what powers and when. It also necessitates forethought regarding what you'd do if something like an ambush happens. I felt I needed snow storm for cat 5, but I love hibernate and frozen armor on squishies anyway. I am still not a fan of having to recast storm cell, but overall the set is aesthetically and functionally pleasing to play when paired with some helper powers,  I/Os, and accolades.

Storm does well solo when paired with powers which keep enemies in Storm Cell or Cat5, and does well on a Corruptor with those same caveats but it performs poorly on teams because it relies so heavily on location-based patches and DoTs to deliver its damage. On a team that's moving even somewhat quickly the setup time means you're often corpse blasting and are only getting a fraction of the potential damage from your nuke. It's a shame, I really wanted to like my Storm/FF Corruptor but it just feels so icky on teams.

Edited by macskull

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

6 hours ago, macskull said:

Storm does well solo when paired with powers which keep enemies in Storm Cell or Cat5, and does well on a Corruptor with those same caveats but it performs poorly on teams because it relies so heavily on location-based patches and DoTs to deliver its damage. On a team that's moving even somewhat quickly the setup time means you're often corpse blasting and are only getting a fraction of the potential damage from your nuke. It's a shame, I really wanted to like my Storm/FF Corruptor but it just feels so icky on teams.

Agreed, cat5 does need more time to cook.  Therefore, on teams I play aggressively like an electric/shield stalker looking for the next fresh group to nuke, just with more time to allow cat5 to do its thing before teammates arrive. It is easier b/c of shinobi + I/Os.

Usually spawns are close enough that I can help the team and take out the majority of another spawn at the same time, given that I took 5 single target attacks as well as 4 AoEs (counting Ionic judgement). It is less systematic than tank and spank though and not really an option without heavy investment in survivability and something to keep the spawn from scattering. So, I agree the upfront damage of Cat5 (probably from lightning and wind burst) should atleast wipe the minions much quicker and without even needing storm cell.

7 hours ago, VashNKnives said:

heavens forbid using strategy instead of a straight up LEROYYYYYYY JENKINSSSSSSSSSSS approach.
but yeah ambushes are quite difficult to weather (see what I did there) with this set.

Personally I like that the set is more solo friendly (cause I solo mostly)

I like that its different than the other Blastery sets. Variety is good

Even if it isn't perfect, does a perfect set even exist?

• Like 1

On 9/18/2023 at 6:34 AM, Saiyajinzoningen said:

Even if it isn't perfect, does a perfect set even exist?

Yes. Plant Control 😛

I'm going to give Storm/Storm a shot, seeing as storm/rad was a failure(my bad, didn't build for ranged def so ate floor more than im used to. And storm needs you ahead of your team to maximize potential). Good thing is my expectations for the set have been lowered from my time on storm/rad. Solo it'll do wonders, in a team? Well at least I can lean on storm summoning unless I'm two mobs ahead of teammates.

• Like 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

Just now, Seed22 said:

Yes. Plant Control 😛

I'm going to give Storm/Storm a shot, seeing as storm/rad was a failure(my bad, didn't build for ranged def so ate floor more than im used to. And storm needs you ahead of your team to maximize potential). Good thing is my expectations for the set have been lowered from my time on storm/rad. Solo it'll do wonders, in a team? Well at least I can lean on storm summoning unless I'm two mobs ahead of teammates.

LIES!!!!!

I have a plant control and there's is a HUGE issue with the set

its too good

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/18/2023 at 7:34 AM, Saiyajinzoningen said:

but yeah ambushes are quite difficult to weather (see what I did there) with this set.

when enemies close on my stormies, I just summon the storm cell on my/team location, any other kind of debufff AoE DoTs/prolonged knockdown, etc. on where I stand, and the Cat 5.

But I usually I do have at least one team mate and I'm not running at +4/8 and/or level 50.

I try do the same thing if they spawn on top of me, but with squishies that's usually not going to cut it due to the alpha.

If I have time and know the enemy is incoming. Then I set up the same situation at a choke point and/or where my character can dive around the corner to get out of LoS.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

• 4 weeks later

It'd be cool if there was a way to effectively *move* your charged Cat 5 or Storm Cell, and if continuing to charge it would extend its duration, possibly indefinitely. That would make a bit of a "fury mechanic" unseen so far for blasters, because you'd always try to keep your storms blowing at full power.

Thematically appropriate, too, eh?

What do y'all think of that?

Edited by pawstruck
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later

I find that Storm and Dark don't synergize particularly well, but I don't see the set as gimped.

Storm/Ice works very well, as the slows in Ice magnify the effects of Storm nicely. Plus the ever-popular fish-flop!

I strongly suggest the TP pool as your travel power set, since being able to pop intro (and out of) a bunch of baddies is nice. Adding Fold Space is great as a way to help Storm really shine.

(If you want to feel truly, embarrassingly OP, try a Storm/Storm/Mace Mastery [for Scorpion Shield] Defender with TP/Fold Space. Forecast: nasty weather ahead for the bad guys!)

Incidentally, a friend prone to gfx headaches finds that turning off particles makes both Storm Cell and Cat 5 nearly invisible.

Edited by DoctorDitko
weather forecast
  • Like 3

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

• 1 month later
4 minutes ago, KITANYA said:

What are everyone's opinion regarding Storm Blast in 2024?

Anything changed?

Nothing has changed, except most people are pretenders and phonies when it comes to storm blast. They don't embrace da cyclone!

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

On 9/21/2023 at 6:07 PM, Snarky said:

Top 10 Dead Horse Subjects: We Don't Care Anymore!

No shit and its not even true, Storm Blast is awesome once you learn its mechanics and play them.  But maybe people should hop over to the test server and see how the NUMEROUS changes that were made to Storm Blast affect their play.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

25 minutes ago, High_Beam said:

No shit and its not even true, Storm Blast is awesome once you learn its mechanics and play them.  But maybe people should hop over to the test server and see how the NUMEROUS changes that were made to Storm Blast affect their play.

Yeah, the recent changes to AR make it one of the funnest sets in the game for me

• 3 weeks later
41 minutes ago, KITANYA said:

Maybe they should make Storm Cell bigger and with less recycle time/cast time?

Isn't Storm Cell quite small in radius?

The radius is the same as other "rain" powers, so no... not small.  And it follows you... slowly.  This is good and bad.  It's cool that acts like a pet and goes from mob to mob.  But having it despawn and not linger is good as it allows you to move through maps without aggroing everything.  Yes, it may suck to recast for long fights, but hanging out any longer, and it would be more annoying.

• Like 1