Lusca's big brother.

25 minutes ago, Ston said:

Any background to go along with it?

Lusca was created by Crey Technology contamination.

Maybe a Portal Corp underwater experiment gone wrong?

Portal Corp (or the Rikti) "oops'd" the Omega Hydra out of the Hydra Dimension.  And it doesn't have to be PI, could just as easily happen redside (Like, an event where players try to stop a GM from climbing Grandville)

• Like 1

Eh. Have to admit I find GMs kind of ... boring. No, I don't have some solo-all-the-GMs build or anything. They're just not *interesting.* They're "go to spot, join team, hit buttons for a minute, collect 6 merits."

Make it interesting. Make it *part* of something. Give it something unique to look out for or have to do. Make it more than just a giant pile of hit points.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Just have a rogue portal open up somewhere, with some huge tentacles reaching through - make it very "Lovecraftian" with a degree of mystery surrounding it.  Maybe tie it into Rularuu or the Banished Pantheon, rather than what amounts to a giant mutated octopus...

• Thumbs Up 2

*Somewhere in the ancient temple complex of Primeva, a grey-robed Oranbegan mage named Karcharias coughs and looks a little uneasily in the direction of the sea*

"I feel that I must apologize. The ritual text was damaged and somewhat... incomplete... when Edratarees and Nehemes unearthed the chest which contained the three scrolls. I was forced to... improvise... certain segments of the summoning. It... It did not go quite as planned.  The good news is that a quick journey to Nerva and the kind assistance of Seaweed Joe's Sushi Shack has saved the cabal from certain starvation. The... bad news is that our casting of the incomplete ritual has summoned a Dire Beast intent on HAVING everyone for lunch rather than... you know... making lunch. I am sorry. It was a silly mistake."

When in doubt? A mage did it. 😝

Edited by Coyotedancer
  • Like 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

4 minutes ago, Player2 said:

Maybe Kallisti Wharf.  It could be the start of populating that zone.

Ooo... tempting.  Can we please also make some (most/all) of the zone destructable, so we can have a zone event of trying to stop this thing from destroying large swathes of town?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Akisan said:

Ooo... tempting.  Can we please also make some (most/all) of the zone destructable, so we can have a zone event of trying to stop this thing from destroying large swathes of town?

The problem that arises from that, two actually, are the map already exists with the zone not being destructible requiring a new map to be made, and what happens when mission doors are destroyed and players not doing the event find they can't access their missions any more until X time after event completes.

(That's why in my suggestion for the zone event + GM, I called for only objects that spawned specifically for the event to be destructible.)

21 minutes ago, Rudra said:

The problem that arises from that, two actually, are the map already exists with the zone not being destructible requiring a new map to be made, and what happens when mission doors are destroyed and players not doing the event find they can't access their missions any more until X time after event completes.

(That's why in my suggestion for the zone event + GM, I called for only objects that spawned specifically for the event to be destructible.)

Fair enough.  I may be able to address one of those though - the doors in the destructible part of the city aren't added to the master list of doors for mission doors (that is, they're not interactable, and just part of the building model).  Other stuff in that area (sewer entrances, cave entrances, etc) can still be valid mission doors, so the area's not completely dead for missions. Doesn't help with needing a new map though...

Compromise!  Remake the map without the bridge to the island in the middle... then add the bridge as a destructible semi-permanent object.  When the giant monster appears, it will move toward and attempt to destroy the bridge.  You get GM XP for defeating the monster, but you get a badge for preventing the destruction of the bridge.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arbegla said:

There's an event in Praetoria that turns things destructible but only during that event. Do the same thing for this.

Unless I am mistaken, for that to work, those items have to be destructible in the first place. Then for the event, that capability is turned on. To the best of my knowledge, nothing in Kallisti Wharf is designed that way. So the map would have to be remade to make what will be destructible into actually destructible objects that won't leave holes in the map.

1 hour ago, Rudra said:

Unless I am mistaken, for that to work, those items have to be destructible in the first place. Then for the event, that capability is turned on. To the best of my knowledge, nothing in Kallisti Wharf is designed that way. So the map would have to be remade to make what will be destructible into actually destructible objects that won't leave holes in the map.

That's why I suggested the bridge.  Remaking everything on the map destructible  would be a lot... so instead, make it just one or two things (like both sides of the bridge) and make that the focus of the monster since it's water-based and saving a bridge from destruction is a superheroey thing to do that we don't have elsewhere in the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/11/2023 at 11:29 AM, captainstar said:

I think we could have another sea monster for a change. Maybe on another map like in PI.

spacer.png

On 7/11/2023 at 9:02 PM, Ston said:

Any background to go along with it?

Lusca was created by Crey Technology contamination.

Maybe a Portal Corp underwater experiment gone wrong?

That looks Kraken-like, which might fit with the seas around Chimerora.

On 7/12/2023 at 7:00 PM, Greycat said:

Eh. Have to admit I find GMs kind of ... boring. No, I don't have some solo-all-the-GMs build or anything. They're just not *interesting.* They're "go to spot, join team, hit buttons for a minute, collect 6 merits."

Make it interesting. Make it *part* of something. Give it something unique to look out for or have to do. Make it more than just a giant pile of hit points.

I read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea at some point after I saw the Disney movie.  I was surprised to learn that Verne didn't create a single giant squid, he created a giant cuttlefish swarm.  Slightly smaller in physical size than Disney's creation, but many more of them.  Perhaps the challenge could be to create a Swarm Giant Monster, where (unlike the multiple Titan Robots) the members of the swarm cover each other, rather than fight independently.  I'd find it upping the challenge if I'd not hit just one but have to watch my back and sides for the others.  I don't know if it would be possible to have a creature grab and throw a hero/villain, but it would change things up if they had a chance to snag any within arm's reach and fling them away for distance and smashing damage, maybe even lethal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Techwright said:

I read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea at some point after I saw the Disney movie.  I was surprised to learn that Verne didn't create a single giant squid, he created a giant cuttlefish swarm.  Slightly smaller in physical size than Disney's creation, but many more of them.  Perhaps the challenge could be to create a Swarm Giant Monster, where (unlike the multiple Titan Robots) the members of the swarm cover each other, rather than fight independently.  I'd find it upping the challenge if I'd not hit just one but have to watch my back and sides for the others.  I don't know if it would be possible to have a creature grab and throw a hero/villain, but it would change things up if they had a chance to snag any within arm's reach and fling them away for distance and smashing damage, maybe even lethal.

They can't directly grab and throw (just like we can't,) it'd end up being some mag of knockback.

It'd be interesting - though IMHO they'd have to have complementary sets of powers (some attacking, some defending the others, some debuffing, some healing - how much would depend on the number in the swarm, I suppose) but on the other hand, with all the AOE being thrown around in the current meta... of course, we're talking GM-size (or value,) so being "overpowered for solo/small team" wouldn't be a consideration. 

• Like 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

15 minutes ago, gameboy1234 said:

Are there any water giant monsters in the Rogue's Isles? 

No, there aren't.

First GM is Deathsurge in Cap. Then Scrapyard in Shark, Caleb in Nerva, and the Arachnos Flier in GV.

St. Martial has an event instead.

On 7/24/2023 at 6:50 PM, Greycat said:

It'd be interesting - though IMHO they'd have to have complementary sets of powers (some attacking, some defending the others, some debuffing, some healing - how much would depend on the number in the swarm, I suppose)

So they'd be functioning in a swarm somewhat like MM minions or the Tsoo.

On 8/5/2023 at 8:12 PM, Techwright said:

So they'd be functioning in a swarm somewhat like MM minions or the Tsoo.

And I suddenly have nightmarish visions of DE Swarms getting Tsoo Sorcerer powers - because who *isn't* terrified of dozens of small, fast targets flying around with Hurricane & healing each other...