Unpopular opinion

raven9864

Am I the only one who thinks Wentworth's should be more Wal Mart and less Ebay? I mean, really.

There is no shortage of ways to make Influence. There is a shortage of things that you want to buy, but aren't available in WW. Or at least not available for a price that is reasonable.

When I look for a recipe and every single listing of every level of it all have the same history, I feel like somebody somewhere is just working the market in an exploitative way.

It's one of the only ways Homecoming feels like late stage capitalism to me.

~Paws

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, raven9864 said:

When I look for a recipe and every single listing of every level of it all have the same history, I feel like somebody somewhere is just working the market in an exploitative way.

That is because all the different levels of Recipes (and Enhancements) are combined into a single market.  So whatever level of recipe you put in any player can buy it at whatever level they want and all levels of recipes end up selling with the same history, because there are no different levels of recipe as far as the market is concerned.

Introducing a next to free store for lots of resources isn't necessarily a bad idea, particularly given the non commercial basis of the current playable versions of the game.  But it would remove a game play loop that some players enjoy.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mr. Vee said:

Can always use merits to buy whatever you need if you want a more Walmarty experience. It's not the most bang for your buck use for them but it works.

I just want to buy what I need for the enhancements I want to use. I'd rather spend time enjoying the content rather than worrying about competing with 339 other buyers for a piece of salvage that there is only 10 of in the market. BUT...its been this way for 20 years, so I don't expect it to change. I dont want to just have an experience. I just think a straight retail experience where you can just buy what you need would be a quality of life improvement. I could outfit toons better, making them more enjoyable to play. But, maybe it can be both. An auction house AND a Store where you can buy salvage, recipes, and enhancements. It would help level out the auction house and prevent player frustration due to chasing bits of stuff.

• Thumbs Down 1

Salvage is fungible.
Sell one rare salvage and if you're the high bidder it will convert to what you wanted. There are some details I am skipping here.

Also, Brainstorms can be used to convert into salvage. 20 brainstorm equals any random, 40 is a tech or arcane.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

For the most part, this is available through the current system.  You want a Lotg +recharge?  You can buy one on the /AH for a handful of million inf.  Or you can spend 100 merits on a recipe, buy the salvage at seeded levels, craft it, maybe spend a catalyst to attune it.  It's available, but now you are just negotiating for a better price than whatever the kind-hearted marketer has decided to provide your supply today!

Who run Bartertown?

45 minutes ago, raven9864 said:

I'd rather spend time enjoying the content rather than worrying about competing with 339 other buyers

So do I. By the way, can you code?

I had the same problem, so I turned 2 of my toons into farm bots. I highly recommend AutoIt. Its BASIC-like language is easy to learn.

Many other languages like Python also support automation.

Just run the bots, go doing errands or real-life jobs, and return a few hours later to collect the loot and play the game. Repeat until you get the stuff you need (or have sold enough items to buy items from AH).

15 minutes ago, huang3721 said:

So do I. By the way, can you code?

I had the same problem, so I turned 2 of my toons into farm bots. I highly recommend AutoIt. Its BASIC-like language is easy to learn.

Many other languages like Python also support automation.

Just run the bots, go doing errands or real-life jobs, and return a few hours later to collect the loot and play the game. Repeat until you get the stuff you need (or have sold enough items to buy items from AH).

Ahem:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/code-of-conduct/

Content Guidelines:

7. Do not cheat or abuse exploits
  1. If you find an exploit please report it to a member of staff immediately
  2. This includes the use of scripts and programs to automate gameplay
  3. This includes trying to deceive or otherwise cheat other players for your own gain

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, raven9864 said:

There is no shortage of ways to make Influence. There is a shortage of things that you want to buy, but aren't available in WW. Or at least not available for a price that is reasonable.

"Reasonable" is subjective in this case. Besides, if there's no shortage of ways to make influence, the price of something shouldn't really matter to you all that much.

Outside of some Hami-O and D-Sync enhancements the most expensive items on the market are what, 15-20 million? That's pretty damn cheap relative to how quickly a level 50 can get inf just from playing the game. You'll also notice that with rare exceptions IOs, ATOs, and Winter enhancements almost never sell for more than 25 million inf because there's a practical cap thanks to the existence of merit vendors. There's a transition point somewhere in the 20-25 million inf range where you roughly break even getting your enhancement from a merit vendor instead of off the market, and if market prices go any higher than that smart people just dump merits at the vendor and end up flooding the market with supply of that item until prices go back down.

Edited by macskull

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

15 hours ago, raven9864 said:

I feel like somebody somewhere is just working the market in an exploitative way.

6a98c3626f6625f92e92df51056ca33c.gif

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115ac82f81e31c887bbc

scrooge-mcduck-money-bin.jpg

14 hours ago, ScrewlooseCohh said:

But it would remove a game play loop that some players enjoy.

The best PvP in City of Heroes!

• Haha 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

12 hours ago, huang3721 said:

I'm pretty sure it wasn't there back in 2020. Well, sucks. 

It's been there for as long as I can remember, and the Internet Archive ("Wayback Machine") shows it there from at least Feb 12, 2020.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Andreah said:

It's been there for as long as I can remember, and the Internet Archive ("Wayback Machine") shows it there from at least Feb 12, 2020.

Oh, dang! How did I miss that one? Or, what was I reading back then? ToS? It was early 2020, right before lockdown.

So, I had a tank and two scrappers/blasters. The tank draws the fire while the rest kill the mob. A coordinated attack is a beautiful thing. 

They also didn't need enhancements. They were good as a team. Then they reach their 40s. Bot-assisted farming! Sweet loot! Incarnate unlocking! Et cetera!

I even kept mentioning them to my teammates for a year and a half. "Look at these toons! They are all my bots! Cool, huh?" (paraphrasing) No one complained. I was lucky, I guess. 

Then I found out my bots weren't playing nice with my laptop. My code was inefficient, so I stopped using those bots. I made a promise to myself to clean up the code next week.

Dang, I am going to miss my bots.

• Thumbs Up 1