If a TF/SF contact or trainer dies, what happens?

Gentoo

Today I was in Talos and saw a GM fighting Citidel near the Train station. Citidel was losing. I was curious to see what happens if he goes down. Does he just respawn instantly? Is it set on a timer?

I didn't get to find out because some annoying heroes came along and fought the GM and Citidel lived. Spoilsports.

This is a surprisingly good question.  You don't see if very often as it is.  I have seen Citadel and Luminary but really nowhere else.  But I doubt either of those characters would actually die.  Maybe run away.  It is an interesting mental exercise thought.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

Ive gotten a trainer very damaged when a kronos kept multi spawning on me and their health stops going down once its at a certain point.  They possibly used a defense ability but it looked like their hp just stopped moving.

Citadel is the Highlander.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

If the game's history is any indication, they give the task force to a new contact (or maybe kick it to Ouroboros and invent a new one) and retcon the entire game so they died before all the content.

Playing on Excelsior. Champion forever.

50s: Placta • elec/elec blaster // Rye Lily IV • mind/psi dominator // PLACT-A • bots/ff mastermind // Danielle Connelly • elec/elec dominator // Acme Coin Rink • ice/cold controller // Yin Blazer • psi/wp scrapper // Chalky Webs • db/sr stalker // Ultra Lance • kin/en scrapper // Eye Shell Coda • elec/elec tanker // Mind Wanna Fly • psy/emp corruptor

Others: Virtual Lines • peacebringer • 43 // Favours Green • plant/nat controller • 39 // Clear Corn Ion • elec/storm controller • 34 // Hum a Crypt • claws/regen scrapper • 29 // By Her Ant • psy/ment blaster • 24 // Clean a Hall Arch • shield/sword tanker • 19 // Paler Vow • ninjas/ta mastermind • 10 // more...

In Lore, my presumption would be that if a signature NPC is defeated, they'd be able to either insta-rez or TP to the Hospital, as per PC heroes. If the threat is so large a general warning would be sent out, as per Zombie/Nemesis/Rikti invasion.

I imagine game mechanics wouldn't permit those people to be defeated in public though. It would need a very special event to down one of them, such as a SF or major event - or occasionally, a really weak story line.

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

On 8/28/2023 at 7:11 AM, Gentoo said:

I didn't get to find out because some annoying heroes came along and fought the GM and Citidel lived. Spoilsports.

They become un-damage-able at some point, so it's not possible to defeat them.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

On 8/28/2023 at 10:19 AM, High_Beam said:

This is a surprisingly good question.  You don't see if very often as it is.  I have seen Citadel and Luminary but really nowhere else.  But I doubt either of those characters would actually die.  Maybe run away.  It is an interesting mental exercise thought.

While I can't recall seeing a GM attack them, I have seen Posi and Valkerie get into the thick of an invasion before, so they might get to fight Nemsie Boy at some point. Not a GM of course but potentially similar.

• City Council
On 8/29/2023 at 5:16 PM, macskull said:

They become un-damage-able at some point, so it's not possible to defeat them.

If their health gets below 10%, their AI makes them become invincible and untargetable - so no enemies can fire powers at them and they aren't affected by AoE. They'll then run back to their spawn point and wait 2 minutes to regenerate health before being able to enter combat again.

Even if there was something that could one-shot them to bypass that, they're also flagged CannotDie and they literally... can't die. Their health has a minimum value of 1.

And if something somehow bypassed THAT, like a GM (game master not giant monster) outright deleting them from existence, since they're persistent NPC's they'd respawn a few seconds later.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Lines said:

*Scraps prototypes for the deletinator.*

*Starts new plans for the anti-persistinator.*

*starts checking costume options for platypus-related facial features*

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

18 hours ago, Number Six said:

If their health gets below 10%, their AI makes them become invincible and untargetable - so no enemies can fire powers at them and they aren't affected by AoE. They'll then run back to their spawn point and wait 2 minutes to regenerate health before being able to enter combat again.

Even if there was something that could one-shot them to bypass that, they're also flagged CannotDie and they literally... can't die. Their health has a minimum value of 1.

And if something somehow bypassed THAT, like a GM (game master not giant monster) outright deleting them from existence, since they're persistent NPC's they'd respawn a few seconds later.

Well darn, there goes my "incan a league full of Pain Dom characters with Enforced Morale queued up onto a trainer" plan.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube