Hero Origins and MTG Mana Colors

CoeruleumBlue

The fact that every CoH hero origin has two allied and two opposing ones made me go like "oh, this must be the mana colors!" So I decided that these were how they must be arranged based on the fact anything else gave me results that I thought were way too weird:

White: Magic
Green: Natural
Red: Technology
Black: Science
Blue: Mutation

Magic in superheroes/comic books is usually like a religious thing, or else literally everything superheroes and villains do would just be "umm, it's magic." Green is natural because, well, it's natural, it's also like "less magic" and they can still use tech, which is red, and tech is like less science. Science on the other hand often balances out religion and is often seen as like this Faustian bargain of progress, though some people can definitely use science and religion, especially the mutants, who are definitely blue. I have to see them as blue because I see science and magic as being way more extreme origins, tech and natural are more down-to-earth, and then mutant is just out there doing its thing and managing to somehow combine science and magic. Also mutation and change in MTG is a blue mechanic, equipping weapons is mostly red, increasing stats is mostly green, doing whatever but there's a cost is mostly black, banding together different beings is mostly white.

The most important thing was preserving the order of the relationships. I can't violate that since that's literally what inspired this. And tech on red would be weird. Making magic and science not be black and white kind of allows some other options, but that kept ending up with magic on green and mutant on white and tech on black and other things that just seemed really weird to me. This is the one where nothing seems obviously weird to me.

4 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

What

It's someone trying to ... awkwardly equate origins here with magic sources in a game that's trying its damndest to self destruct after 30 years.

• Thanks 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

4 hours ago, huang3721 said:

It reminds me of that old cartoon opening sequence:

2 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

That's Avatar!

While most of us here probably don't consider Avatar: The Last Airbender old, as of February it will be 19 years since it premiered.  By comparison, the 1967 Spider-Man cartoon, famous for it's theme song, was 19 years old my sophomore college year. At the end of that school year, we had the very popular animated G.I. Joe: The Movie come out, meaning Avatar premiered 18 years after it (just a year shy of 19), aaaand...now I feel incredibly old.

• Haha 1

My second attempt to understand whatever the OP has written up there:

On 11/26/2023 at 1:44 PM, CoeruleumBlue said:

The fact that Every CoH hero origin has two allied and two opposing ones (Does it?) made me go like "oh, this must be the mana colors!" So, I decided that these were how they must be arranged based on the fact anything else gave me results that I thought were way too weird them like this:

• White: Magic
  • Green: Natural
  • Red: Technology
  • Black: Science
  • Blue: Mutation

Magic (White) in superheroes/comic books is usually like a religious thing, or else literally everything superheroes and villains do would just be "umm, it's magic."

Green is natural because, well, it's natural, it's also like "less magic"(obviously) and they (who?) can still use tech (why?), which is red (yes), and tech is like less science.

*The OP forgot to describe Technology(Red) here. *

Science(Black), on the other hand, often balances out religion (how?) and is often seen as like this Faustian bargain of progress (Non-native here. What does this phrase even mean?), though some people can definitely use science and religion, especially the mutants. (Does it means mutants can use science and religion better than people?), who are definitely blue. 

I have to see them Mutants as blue because I see science and magic as being way more extreme origins (non-sequitur), tech and natural are more down-to-earth (more non-sequitur), and then mutant is just out there doing its thing and managing to somehow combine science and magic. (What does it have to do with seeing them as blue?)

Also mutation and change in MTG is a (mostly?) blue mechanic, equipping weapons is mostly red, increasing stats is mostly green, doing whatever but there's a cost is mostly black, banding together different beings is mostly white.

The most important thing was preserving the order of the relationships. (What order?) I can't violate that since that's literally what inspired this. (?) And tech on red would be weird. Making magic and science not be black and white kind of allows some other options, but that kept ending up with magic on green and mutant on white and tech on black and other things that just seemed really weird to me. This is the one where nothing seems obviously weird to me.

IMO, since the OP doesn't explain much, it would be much better if the OP just draw two tables. One for mana colors and one for "mostly" mana colors.

• Thanks 1

So from playing a lot of MTG since 95, and some understanding of the color pie, the hero origins really do not fit well into the five colors of magic like so. As there is a lot of rigidity with the colors on what they can do and what they cannot do.

Now if you are building a character yourself I feel you can build it into the five colours, or ten guilds, or shards/wedges they could fall into. But this here feels more ham-fisted trying to take mechanics core to a game of Magic and insert it into a MMO game of CoX.

• Like 2

Psicy Chill - Ice/Psi/Psi | Sive Ni Brielan - Plant/Earth/Fire | Elemental Elder Lord - Earth/Fire/Fire | Selinia Baneheart - Dark/Therm/Fire | Mylia Stenetch - Necro/Dark/Soul | Radiated Shot - Rad/Arch/Mace | Nameless Witch - Storm/Water/Mu | Phantom Racer - Fire/Cold/Scorp | Neera Darkspar - Beam/Temp/Soul | Neera Etra - Dark/SR | Shieldbreaker - Elec/Shield/Mu | Frozen Tombstress Ice/Rad/Ice | Subliminal Darkness - Psi/Dark/Psi | Mirana Darkblade - Katana/Regen/Soul | Máistir Fiach - SoA Huntmaster | Night Reaver - SoA Widow | Sweet Senpai - SoA Bane