Been back 5 weeks after 11 years to find 2x xp buff and 100% influence loss...WHY?

Spark Inferno

The whole thing is optional.  If you don't want INF loss with your Double XP, don't use it and roll with teams.  DFB/DIB from Lvl. 1-20 and MSR for the rest can smooth out the boring parts.

I'm inclined to the opposite direction: I know the loss of Double XP because farming abused it, but if there was a limited Temp Power like Experienced that granted 5 free charges of 2X INF once a year, I'd be a happier fella.  But it's nothing to die on a hill on.

• Like 1

"...no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant..." - Hunter S. Thompson

7 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

While I understand the OP was typing in frustration and not coming across at their best, please keep this thread civil and try to be a little less judgmental. A lot of games are designed to be a grind to level 50 and the fun stuff start at level cap, where this game isn't. We have the fun stuff in the level 20+ range. A lot of the newer content is from 20 to 40.

I understand OP's frustration, I always tell new and returning players not to take the double XP boost initially. Avoid farms, even avoid DFB in the beginning. Learn what you are doing and get used to the system first. Then think about short cuts to levelling.

the problem is that XP boosts exist. There is no need for them. We have our game back and your argument defeats them. Why not simply remove them? Take them out of the game and the problem is solved

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

11 minutes ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

the problem is that XP boosts exist. There is no need for them. We have our game back and your argument defeats them. Why not simply remove them? Take them out of the game and the problem is solved

This is why we can’t have nice things…

image.gif.de6603b3b4200531e40bc3691261b39c.gif

7 minutes ago, Snarky said:

This is why we can’t have nice things…

image.gif.de6603b3b4200531e40bc3691261b39c.gif

nice things

nice things

Because some very amazing people worked very hard, and took risks, we have the nicest nicest thing.

What more do you want?

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

55 minutes ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

nice things

nice things

Because some very amazing people worked very hard, and took risks, we have the nicest nicest thing.

What more do you want?

You seem to be saying..( i could be wrong, I miss human expression so often these nights ) that there is a problem in that XP boosts exist. 

hence my statement (this is why we can’t have nice things” and illustration

I'm sorry OP that you got fed the farmfarmfarm mindset, ignore it.  

That aside, here's what you can do to fund characters if you can't wait and feel you should get them all funded asap: take a fifty, any fifty, slotted with even just SOs, or even worse with gaps where you couldn't afford to slot anything at all, and go to PI and join the frequent radio teams that pop up, or maybe the MJ arc runs; you can also run any one of the Yin runs which apparently are popular merit farms because they never stop.  Run these, do them again.  Once you're at fifty, drops and Inf all starts to roll in, and you'll get better at it as you go and can slot; meanwhile, those farm-y teams will easily carry you along until then.  I never play the market, and I have always been able to fund all my toons once I hit 50 on one and kept playing them for a bit.

And then for the love of god go find your fun in this game instead of the endless farming that "everyone" will tell you is the point of the game (see the advice about the 2Xxp), that'll bore and burn you out faster than even running around only half-slotted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Each run of Death From Below provides 5 'on level' SOs. I run it for fun at all levels, I run it to make up a full team any level.

Wiki page - DfB

My 4.5 years with Homecoming has mustered 4 accounts, 125 Alts and billions of INF (90% of which are Dbl XP users) ALL started out as a single character with ZERO INF. Best way to earn is the Auction House (I find). End game TF/SF/INC earn heaps of INF. KMITF earns heaps of INF. There are so many ways to earn INF and get SOs for free.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Snarky said:

You seem to be saying..( i could be wrong, I miss human expression so often these nights ) that there is a problem in that XP boosts exist. 

hence my statement (this is why we can’t have nice things” and illustration

No, not what I'm saying.

Personally I think they are entirely unnecessary and I see no real reason for them to exist.

I'm just saying we have our best game back for good and we don't need anything more, so be satisfied with what we have.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

No, not what I'm saying.

Personally I think they are entirely unnecessary and I see no real reason for them to exist.

I'm just saying we have our best game back for good and we don't need anything more, so be satisfied with what we have.

this is why we can't have nice things

image.png.00a8ad0d470505965f4a15d00fdec53e.png

Edited by Snarky
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

But you have them.

ahhh.  i see.  you miss the point.  the gif was more accurate than i knew.

the theme of this thread is 2XP is bad, so why do we have it.  but that makes the argument that if i do not like something no one should have it.  which brings up....this is why we can't have nice things.

I think one guy in the gif missed the point more than me.

I dislike XP boosts but I do use them sometimes, because they exist.

I'm also generally against taking stuff away - I take the view that it's better not to add something than to add it and then remove it later.

We have them, we don't need to use them, but to take them away would create a good deal of hassle that the Devs probably don't want to deal with, so meh

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Every time I see post like this it makes me hate the CoH forum community more than I already do, and that's saying something.

In any case OP, just avoid using the boost, it's fairly easy to avoid. At 50 the INF starts rolling in, but before hand you're not missing much. 

Personally, if the XP boost weren't here I wouldn't play CoH period. The game is boring as hell pre 50 and the gameplay loop is shit without all your powers. This is coming from an i6 vet, the game's nice and all but it ain't good enough to where I wanna do the original grind 98 times(as many 50s as I have farmed).

Edited by Seed22
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

Its pretty much beat to death by now and then clobbered a bit more for good measure.

I just hope you didn't throw up your hands and walk away.  The game you loved back then is basically still here.  You can ignore or use many many features added since then.  Come and explore the many roads you can travel.  Welcome back

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Seed22 said:

Every time I see post like this it makes me hate the CoH forum community more than I already do, and that's saying something.

In any case OP, just avoid using the boost, it's fairly easy to avoid. At 50 the INF starts rolling in, but before hand you're not missing much. 

Personally, if the XP boost weren't here I wouldn't play CoH period. The game is boring as hell pre 50 and the gameplay loop is shit without all your powers. This is coming from an i6 vet, the game's nice and all but it ain't good enough to where I wanna do the original grind 98 times(as many 50s as I have farmed).

nobody's making you play it. Haters gonna hate

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

5 hours ago, Seed22 said:

Your response seems to be more in line with those responding to the OP than the OP itself, which would likewise make your position closer in alignment with "the CoH forum community", so I'm not sure why you'd hate them, unless you hate yourself as well...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, biostem said:

Your response seems to be more in line with those responding to the OP than the OP itself, which would likewise make your position closer in alignment with "the CoH forum community", so I'm not sure why you'd hate them, unless you hate yourself as well...

This time it aligns. A solution's a solution, and thats what I was offering. Still hate the forum community with a passion and love myself so that's not an issue. 

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

41 minutes ago, Seed22 said:

This time it aligns. A solution's a solution, and thats what I was offering. Still hate the forum community with a passion and love myself so that's not an issue. 

That is a lot of Pathos.   Seed gonna be fruitful I suppose 

3 hours ago, Seed22 said:

Well, at least one person loves you.

So it's not as bad as it first appeared

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Seed22 said:

The game is boring as hell pre 50 and the gameplay loop is shit without all your powers.

I am currently leveling up a scrapper redside, so mostly solo.  It was slow going, a bit, until the time I hit about 12; by that point I had three attacks, a couple of my Invul armors, and a Nem staff, along with my unslotted brawl and taser.  That's enough attacks!  I was and am having a fine time. 

My guess here is maybe this is just not the game for you as so much of it was designed to be played sub-50.  Also, there is much truth in this: unnamed.thumb.jpg.396aeaa9f2136e97b356bc9b18e66c74.jpg

Edited by Clave Dark 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

13 hours ago, Snarky said:

That is a lot of Pathos.   Seed gonna be fruitful I suppose 

I know it sounds all doomy and gloomy but I promise its not 😂. I guess it was more me venting than anything else and speaking my mind.

9 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

I am currently leveling up a scrapper redside, so mostly solo.  It was slow going, a bit, until the time I hit about 12; by that point I had three attacks, a couple of my Invul armors, and a Nem staff, along with my unslotted brawl and taser.  That's enough attacks!  I was and am having a fine time. 

My guess here is maybe this is just not the game for you as so much of it was designed to be played sub-50.  Also, there is much truth in this: unnamed.thumb.jpg.396aeaa9f2136e97b356bc9b18e66c74.jpg

The issue I think is this was technically my first real game that I was invested in(played since I was a kid) and I just kinda got to a point where its all just rote memory. Plus I’ve been seeing a LOT of heinously stupid post from forum regulars hence my lashing out. (And while I do still dislike the forum community I still love the in game community which makes up a majority of the game).

I’m taking a much needed break from CoH, so maybe in hopefully 6 or so months I’ll have a fresher look on the game(and maybe the next page will be out by then :P)

And to scarlett, my thanks to the internet peanut gallery :P. But seriously got a great network of IRL friends. Not that you’d know or care, but I’m actually very happy IRL. I just react badly to what I perceive as dumbass responses. I saw your reply, thought you were suggesting to remove XP boosters, and chalked it up to another dumbass response from the idiotic side of the forum community. I see thats not the case, so I owe you an apology. Be well !

Edited by Seed22
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Seed22 said:

The issue I think is this was technically my first real game that I was invested in(played since I was a kid) and I just kinda got to a point where its all just rote memory. Plus I’ve been seeing a LOT of heinously stupid post from forum regulars hence my lashing out. (And while I do still dislike the forum community I still love the in game community which makes up a majority of the game).

I’m taking a much needed break from CoH, so maybe in hopefully 6 or so months I’ll have a fresher look on the game(and maybe the next page will be out by then :P)

Ah, OK, got it.  I can see your place on all this, I too have blocked a few forum regulars for reasons, and have been very off in my playing as of late (my usual pattern of over-indulging in Halloween leads me to playing less for awhile); after finally finishing up another frankly brilliant masterpiece for the AE (see sig) I was about to take a break myself... until upon a whim I decided to maker said scrapper and apparently have caught the bug for a bit again.  I mistook you for a different kind of poster.  My apologies and Merry Christmas!...

...until our paths cross on these forums again!

Edited by Clave Dark 5

Go have fun!