Why is /dark so good?

subbacultchas

Dark affinity is one of probably the most overturned secondaries available to controllers and at the same time many ppl don't have a lot of experience with it since it was added so late into coh's life. It will be more than adequate all the way through end game. Don't sweat def and res on a controller, you don't need to hit softcaps to be effective, you're running earth control, you have so much active mitigation at your finger tips. With dark you can easily hit 32.5% to all with just combat jump, fade and manuevers alone. That puts you at softcap to all types and positions with just 1 small purple inspiration.

• 1 month later

I never played Dark before and like someone else said /rad was always my favorite.  The +2 mag hold on choking cloud /sigh so good! But I made a Plant/ Dark and I have perma fade with 42ish Melee and AoE and 47 Ranged.  I just couldn't find a way to get to 45 with Melee and AoE without possibly giving up too much recharge.  The only problems I have faced are being held and stunned which turn off my defense and then I eat dirt.  So I went clarion and I have been much better since then.  I also recommend Leviathan mastery for Water Spout! My god that power is amazing! I might try Fire/Dark next though.  I have been really wanting to try bonfire with KB-KD.

On 6/28/2019 at 8:08 PM, Nunother said:

I get the flicker as well.  My main issue is that it makes you look like you have some stealth when really you don't.  It has caused myself to think I could get closer to a mob...big mistake.  I wish it just did the eye effect and that was it.

The effect annoys my Illusion/Dark immensely too, get confused as to whether I'm Group Invised or not. 

The lack of sound on both irks me slightly too. I.want people to know theyre being buffed.

The set is amazing though. Up there with Storm as my favourite Troller secondary now. 

2 hours ago, Schiz0 said:

I never played Dark before and like someone else said /rad was always my favorite.  The +2 mag hold on choking cloud /sigh so good! But I made a Plant/ Dark and I have perma fade with 42ish Melee and AoE and 47 Ranged.  I just couldn't find a way to get to 45 with Melee and AoE without possibly giving up too much recharge.  The only problems I have faced are being held and stunned which turn off my defense and then I eat dirt.  So I went clarion and I have been much better since then.  I also recommend Leviathan mastery for Water Spout! My god that power is amazing! I might try Fire/Dark next though.  I have been really wanting to try bonfire with KB-KD.

That's the build I'm currently running too, except I think I've finally hit softcap with the defenses entirely. I went earth instead of leviathan, and it works out pretty well too.

One thing I found that I really like a lot is putting both "chance for +2 mag hold" in your single target hold. I find that it goes off a lot more often than you'd think depending on your recharge, and will most often hold a boss in a single hit. I've also got one in seismic smash too, so depending on my position I can single-shot hold two bosses and keep them there.

2 hours ago, Schiz0 said:

I put my tricked out fire/dark build on test and ran a fire farm at +4×8. I had no issues other than killing slowly.  The KB to KD in bonfire turns entire spawns into popcorn . I may have to rearrange things to try water spout as well.

Wow.  Sure it kills slow but it can kill just about anything eventually.  Defense/resist better than SR scrappers combined with the ability to reduce to hit even more.  3 bonfires going at once ...just...I can see why defenders wont get Fade or SA as they are already stupidly OP with just controller numbers.

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 2.22
http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Mutation Controller
Primary Power Set: Fire Control
Secondary Power Set: Darkness Affinity
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Leviathan Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Char -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(3), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(3), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(5), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(5)
Level 1: Twilight Grasp -- TchoftheN-Heal(A), TchoftheN-Heal/HP/Regen/Rchg(7), TchoftheN-Acc/Heal(7), TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Heal/HP/Regen(9), TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(9), TchoftheN-%Dam(11)
Level 2: Fire Cages -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(11), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(13), PstBls-Dam%(13), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(15)
Level 4: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(15), Rct-ResDam%(17)
Level 6: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 8: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(17)
Level 10: Howling Twilight -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 12: Tar Patch -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 14: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(19), UnbGrd-Max HP%(19), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(21), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(21), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(23)
Level 16: Shadow Fall -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), ShlWal-Def(23), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(25), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(25)
Level 18: Weave -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), ShlWal-Def(27), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(27), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(29)
Level 20: Fade -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), ShlWal-Def(29), ShlWal-Def/Rchg(31), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(31), Rct-Def/Rchg(31), ShlWal-EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 22: Darkest Night -- DarWtcDsp-ToHitdeb/Rchg/EndRdx(A), DarWtcDsp-Rchg/EndRdx(33), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(33), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb(33)
Level 24: Flashfire -- SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprWiloft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(34), SprWiloft-EndRdx/Rchg(34), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(34), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(36), SprWiloft-Rchg/Dmg%(36)
Level 26: Bonfire -- SudAcc-KB/Acc(A), SudAcc-KB/Rchg(36), SudAcc-KB/Dam/EndRdx(37), SudAcc-KB/Dam/Rchg(37), SudAcc-KB/Acc/Dam(37), SudAcc-KBtoKD(39)
Level 28: Soul Absorption -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(39), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(39), Prv-Heal/Rchg(40), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(40), Prv-Absorb%(40)
Level 30: Super Jump -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 32: Fire Imps -- SvrRgh-Acc/Dmg(A), SvrRgh-Dmg/EndRdx(42), SvrRgh-Acc/EndRdx(42), SvrRgh-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(42), SvrRgh-Acc(43), SvrRgh-PetResDam(43)
Level 35: Water Spout -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(A), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx(43), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(45), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(45), SudAcc-KBtoKD(46)
Level 38: Hot Feet -- Arm-Dam%(A), EndRdx-I(46), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(46), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(48), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), Arm-Acc/Rchg(48)
Level 41: Shark Skin -- Ags-ResDam(A), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(50), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 44: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)
Level 47: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 49: Dark Servant -- Acc-I(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Containment 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve 
Level 0: Portal Jockey 
Level 0: Task Force Commander 
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion 
Level 50: Agility Core Paragon 
Level 50: Ion Core Final Judgement 
Level 50: Degenerative Radial Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Clarion Core Epiphany 
Level 50: Assault Core Embodiment 
------------

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, has anyone built around using Power Boost (from epic) with Fade? I believe it's an 11% defense added, which could help focus on other IO set bonuses besides defense. I don't play controllers normally, but I'd love to try out a /dark

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

20 minutes ago, Bopper said:

Out of curiosity, has anyone built around using Power Boost (from epic) with Fade? I believe it's an 11% defense added, which could help focus on other IO set bonuses besides defense. I don't play controllers normally, but I'd love to try out a /dark

I havent "built around" but on my illusion / dark ive got the PB + Fade + Group Invis combo gpi.g, so its recharge all the way for me (only level 45 so ive only got 3 Lotg and a couple of Dark Watchers in so far plus forced feedback in energy torrent). 

Downside is that neither Power bolt nor conserve are particularly useful as the 1st choice in the epic. 

Edited by Carnifax
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, flair said:

Is it just me or does Grav/Dark seem kind of aweome? Wormhole onto a Tar Patch and then throw down Soul Absorption for maximum health/recovery regen.

Singy and Fluffy are complete BFFs too. 

I feel that the later sets like Time and Dark just opened so many doors to Gravity.  Sure, those sets are amazing on every control primary but I just thoroughly enjoy Time Manip with Grav.  The extra control in the secondary is everything I ever wanted for one of my favorite primaries in the game.

7 hours ago, Carnifax said:

I havent "built around" but on my illusion / dark ive got the PB + Fade + Group Invis combo gpi.g, so its recharge all the way for me (only level 45 so ive only got 3 Lotg and a couple of Dark Watchers in so far plus forced feedback in energy torrent). 

Downside is that neither Power bolt nor conserve are particularly useful as the 1st choice in the epic. 

This. I tried it and love power boost, but it's hard to accept the other powers in the Epic. I end up doing Stone or Fire on my /Darks.

On 8/12/2019 at 10:01 AM, Bopper said:

Yes. I love that and them fat 800+ Twilight Grasp heals on each person near me.

5 hours ago, Razia said:

Fade being affected by PB is a bug, but if the devs overlook it, it might also work with Clarion if you don't want to go with another epic.

It does work with Clarion, though by the time I discovered that I'd already soft-capped through other means. So it's limited use now, but I still sometimes use it to boost Soul Absorption moreso than Fade.

Is it a bug? I assumed it was intentional.

1 hour ago, subbacultchas said:

It does work with Clarion, though by the time I discovered that I'd already soft-capped through other means. So it's limited use now, but I still sometimes use it to boost Soul Absorption moreso than Fade.

Is it a bug? I assumed it was intentional.

It would be intentional if Fade was defense only, but it also has a resist component. Other buffs with defense and resist components (Ice Shields) don't get boostet by PB or Farsight. Plus if you pop some reds before you use Fade, the resist part of it will get buffed too.

2 hours ago, Razia said:

It would be intentional if Fade was defense only, but it also has a resist component. Other buffs with defense and resist components (Ice Shields) don't get boostet by PB or Farsight. Plus if you pop some reds before you use Fade, the resist part of it will get buffed too.

Interesting stuff, I was not aware of some of that. The reds + PB + Fade is very interesting in and of itself.

7 minutes ago, subbacultchas said:

Interesting stuff, I was not aware of some of that. The reds + PB + Fade is very interesting in and of itself.

I expect that to be corrected though. I wish they would just remove the resist component from Frade.