NCSOFT & Homecoming License Announcement

4 hours ago, Dr. Strangequirk said:

Indeed, this most welcome. And in some ways, very surprising news. Great job by all that toiled lo, these many years. Now it is truely a Homecoming. Pity that all of our original characters & wonderful Architect missions have been lost...

But good to know that our current ones will continue to thrive.

A few Questions though:

1)- Will some of the old features be reborn? Such as the drinking of a potion to change a characters gender whilst still keeping all of their design & gear?

2)- Will the remaining locks on costume pieces be lifted? Currently I still cannot put a trenchcoat/duster/matrix coat on a hero, only a villian. I was able to add it to a hero on the old servers.

3)- How will this affect other COH projects? Such as Ship Of Heros or the work being done by the TITAN network? I've playing this game for years, in any form that was available.

Being officially sanctioned is validation of all of your hard work. I look forward to what the future brings to the best superhero game ever. Huzzah!

1) You can do that.   Drinking a potion is one of the change costume emotes and since there's no lock on gender, other slots can do that.  I honestly don't remember if on live, but I think that's how we did it then.

2) No locks on alignment.  There are a few restricted by gender, but the devs have been working on costume bits a lot.

3) As much as any game coming out from a different source.   Might discourage some, might encourage focus.   Some people might get sucked into playing so many alts, they don't work on some of their own projects...  (ok, that last bit I might be talking about myself...)

8 minutes ago, SmEgGy said:

Could I ever retrieve my old city of heroes account ie through my email I used for it ? I would love that one back if I could 🙂

I think that one has been asked before and it's pretty much a given No on that. I think it would be cool, but it looks like that's just not in the cards.

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, SmEgGy said:

Awww Shame I would loved to of got my hands on all those lvl 50s I use to have 😛

That data was scrubbed (for various reasons) as part of the INITIAL agreement with NCSoft.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

On 1/6/2024 at 6:53 PM, Doc_Scorpion said:

Not really.  The collar has always been there, and NCSoft has always held the other end of the leash.

Right.  Except for the one stretch of six or so years post-shutdown where NCSoft wasn't even aware that City of Heroes was still covertly active.

4 hours ago, Azari said:

My toons on live suuuucked. 😛 they can stay dead.

Knowing what we know NOW, your 2.0 character(s) are simply on a different level than your originals.  Even if your originals were awesomessauce with a side of deep fried aswesomesauce ice cream.

2 hours ago, retiarius said:

Right.  Except for the one stretch of six or so years post-shutdown where NCSoft wasn't even aware that City of Heroes was still covertly active.

Don't kid yourself.
NCSoft STILL had the leash.  That six year period was an elaborate, EXPENSIVE game of "keep away".

• Thumbs Up 3

On 1/9/2024 at 9:20 AM, ZeeHero said:

Yes nerf regen! it's not nerfed enough until it depletes your health instead of regenerating it! 🤣

FACTS... Nerfs make the game less fun... you are a SUPER HERO FFS!!!!!!

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

A few Questions though:

1)- Will some of the old features be reborn? Such as the drinking of a potion to change a characters gender whilst still keeping all of their design & gear?

2)- Will the remaining locks on costume pieces be lifted? Currently I still cannot put a trenchcoat/duster/matrix coat on a hero, only a villian. I was able to add it to a hero on the old servers.

Thank you to those who replied to my queries.

One asked why one would need number 1 (gender changer). Because it was fun. It was offered live as part of the "mad" science pack. It allowed one to change the gender anywhere in the game, in this case by drinking a potion as the change action, and the special effects did their thing and viola! you swapped genders on your character. The beauty of it was the COH program did all the work and replicated your character exactly as created, only in another gender form. No painstaking creating another character & having to subtly alter the name. No logging in & out from both characters. This feature did all the work and your character had the same name & costume. If you logged out in the alternate gender, you came back as the original one when you logged back in with that character. It was fun.

As for number 2 (locked costume pieces) I'll have to try taking my character to Icon (tailor) and give it a try now. It didn't work years ago, but perhaps, as one reply stated, the Dev's might have fixed that.

Thanks again.   :)

1 hour ago, Dr. Strangequirk said:

One asked why one would need number 1 (gender changer). Because it was fun. It was offered live as part of the "mad" science pack. It allowed one to change the gender anywhere in the game, in this case by drinking a potion as the change action, and the special effects did their thing and viola! you swapped genders on your character. The beauty of it was the COH program did all the work and replicated your character exactly as created, only in another gender form. No painstaking creating another character & having to subtly alter the name. No logging in & out from both characters. This feature did all the work and your character had the same name & costume. If you logged out in the alternate gender, you came back as the original one when you logged back in with that character. It was fun.

I don't remember an emote ever doing this, but I may be wrong. As others have suggested, by going to an icon surgeon you can set an alternative costume to a different body type. This way you can have one male and one female bodied costume, and then use the drink formula costume change emote to swap between them.

I don't know if CoH has ever been clever enough to know how to transfer a costume to a different body on the fly.

• Like 1

• Game Master
6 minutes ago, Lines said:

I don't remember an emote ever doing this, but I may be wrong. As others have suggested, by going to an icon surgeon you can set an alternative costume to a different body type. This way you can have one male and one female bodied costume, and then use the drink formula costume change emote to swap between them.

I don't know if CoH has ever been clever enough to know how to transfer a costume to a different body on the fly.

I'm mildly sceptical as I've tried to put saved male costumes on female characters and vice versa and it's always refused to let me. It's actually a great idea, but on my multi-gender characters I've had to make separate costumes and use a cc emote to simulate the gender swap. I'm not categorically saying with my GM hat on that it's not possible, but I'd be surprised (and delighted) if it could happen.

• Game Master
2 hours ago, Dr. Strangequirk said:

A few Questions though:

As for number 2 (locked costume pieces) I'll have to try taking my character to Icon (tailor) and give it a try now. It didn't work years ago, but perhaps, as one reply stated, the Dev's might have fixed that.

Thanks again.   🙂

I did a quick google and I think you might be misremembering. The gender swap was at icon and facemaker https://archive.paragonwiki.com/wiki/Super_Booster_III:_Superscience

• Thanks 2

I never got to play this game growing up, so i was sad to hear it shut down. Only now I recently discovered this Private Server due to Youtube's talk about Homecoming getting an official license! Congrats, everyone! I'm a newbie, but I'm curious to see what stuff you have in store!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 4
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

8 hours ago, Dr. Strangequirk said:

A few Questions though:

Thanks again.   🙂

That was never a thing, I'm afraid.... It would be a fun option to have, but the Potion emote from the Mad Science pack never changed your character gender. As mentioned, you CAN do that at Icon/Facemaker's, though.

You may be remembering someone who made separate male and female costumes for their characters and then used that emote to switch between them.  

RE: the costume bits, some items only show up as options with specific others. There are some limitations on what you can use with the trench-coat type coats IIRC (I rarely use them myself, so I can't recall which torso selections work with them and which don't-), so you may have to do some experimenting to find a combination that works. 

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

1 hour ago, Coyotedancer said:

You may be remembering someone who made separate male and female costumes for their characters and then used that emote to switch between them.  

This might be a stretch, but they may also be combining gaming memories from the Fable series, where there was a potion that would permanently change your character from male-to-female and vice versa.

• Like 2

• Lead Game Master

Hi everyone! Let’s please stay on-topic in this thread. If you’d like to make a new thread elsewhere to continue the costume conversation, please do!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Thank you @GM Kaiju... 🙂

So here is a on topic question I do not believe has been asked yet (Sorry if it was though). How long is this licence good for exactly?

I do not know if this question can be answered officially or not (probably not), and I certainly don't know anything about such agreements, but it would be interesting to know. Like if it was only for 6 months, 1 year, 5 years, etc.

Thank you... 🙂

• Like 1

Please come and join us on Friday at 6pm Central Time for our Friday Fashion Costume Contest (see the link below). We all hope to see you, yes YOU, there... And if you also wish to join our happy group, the Celestial Warriors SG, please feel free to join our Discord (see link below), and/or contact GL herself (Global is @Laucianna), or any of us if we are on in fact... 🙂

Friday Fashion Costume Contest On Excelsior (6pm Central Time)...

The Celestial Warriors Discord Channel...

On 1/11/2024 at 5:18 PM, Azari said:

My toons on live suuuucked. 😛 they can stay dead.

This! The only toon from Live I had any loyalty to was M2, aka (as mentioned earlier in the thread) Manticore Jr (unofficial nickname, I know there was another Manticore Jr running around on Live that had that as his official name [EDIT: Might have just been Manti Jr, because of the 'NCSoft character names' restriction], we were in the same SG, Young Phalanx), hence my remaking him not once but twice on HC, his NC-verse self as a hero and his displaced HC-verse alternate as a villain. Him and the robot that bore my name, OmegaX, who I played on Freedom as part of Freedom Reborn (the SG made by and comprised of hero versions of the forum identities of the members of the Freedom Force game modding forums of the same name).

Edited by OmegaX123