Biggest Mistake you Ever Made in COX

Marine X

The biggest mistake I made was not kicking someone out of my supergroup, who (either deliberately or purely coincidentally) subsequently logged in after my daily login routine had lapsed for whatever the duration of the default 'change leadership' number of days was, then having that person, with their newfound SG leader role, effectively lock me out of access to my own SG base's storage -- I could see what was in storage, but I couldn't remove it.

This was problematic because they took the further opportunity to rummage through said storage in order to take out and sell on Wentworth's the Hami-Os that I'd collected and placed there.

Live and learn, I suppose. 

Mine was easily...

a blessing in disguise.

The very first toon I ever made was about a year or so before the first Iron Man movie came out.

I made a NRG/NRG Blaster (never played an MMO before mind you too) and I named it.... IRON MONGER  ;)

Never thought anything of it until I was logging in one day, and I see the name was changed BY THE DEVS because of "trademark issues" etc, etc, etc.

I was thinking the name "Iron Monger" wouldn't or wasn't "popular" enough and it could fly under the radar so to speak.

Anyways... they gave me a "rename token" and I had to rename it.

I already got it to like level 11 or something like that... and I was still very much a noob...

but I had already fallen in love with the game.

So I started thinking "long term" with a name (and for future Alts' names too and such)...

and thought about backstories, histories, priorities and such for any and all characters...

and it hit me.  :o

I was listening to my all time favorite rock album by a group called Savatage.

For the un-initiated, the members of Savatage later re-formed and became Trans-Siberian Orchestra  8)

I was listening to that album of their's called "The Wake of Magellan"...

and I thought, "Well.... Magellan is a PLACE... and Wake COULD be a NAME if one wanted?!?"

So I renamed the toon Wake of Magellen with an "e" instead of an "a"...

and it worked out great for me for many years  ::)

I had about 25+ other "____ of Magellen" toons that hit 50+ while the game was live of all kinds of archetypes and I had them all in my SG.

The cool thing with Homecoming now?

I've already rebuilt all the old toons I wanted to recreate (and then some) AND my newer SG base is a thing of beauty that I love too.

So.... my "biggest mistake"?

Was AWESOME for me  ;)

Here is to honor..

to jump on her...

and to stay on her!

My first character was an energy/energy blaster.  I figured that if guys were flying all over the place, they couldn't hit me, and kicking them back kept me out of melee range. 

So I slotted EVERYTHING for knockback.  I got booted from so many teams before I figured out why.  It took way to long to dawn on me that scrappers and tankers might not have wanted enemies pushed back a mile.

I hear ya.  My first was (and still is) an energy/energy blaster. And while I didn't do anything to increase the natural knockback of several powers, I still managed to piss off the scrappers.

They sound like lame Scrappers. KB all you want, I'll just hop on over and smash them if they aren't defeated.

No, it's a conflicting playstyle. Some scrapper powersets work far better when the mobs aren't being tossed all over the place, although it's pretty cool when that happens and the blaster eats a defeat because of it.

I say this having played dark melee/dark armor (which likes having lots of mobs around them) and peacebringers (knockback all over the place). KB doesn't bother me, but I can at least see why it bothers some without insulting them.

No, it's a conflicting playstyle. Some scrapper powersets work far better when the mobs aren't being tossed all over the place, although it's pretty cool when that happens and the blaster eats a defeat because of it.

I say this having played dark melee/dark armor (which likes having lots of mobs around them) and peacebringers (knockback all over the place). KB doesn't bother me, but I can at least see why it bothers some without insulting them.

This.

One of my mains was (is?  Will be?) an energy/energy blaster, and while I do not normally slot for knockback*, I absolutely understand why it can get on some people's nerves.

I enjoy knockback as a solo tool for that blaster, but as a group tool it is not exactly optimal.

*  I may slot a knockback IO set for other benefits, but even that remains to be seen.  I will not, however, slot any generic knockback enhancements of any sort.

I may also make a point of slotting overwhelming force, though, for the kockback to knockdown conversion if nothing else.

Back in issue 0 Deleting the first character I made, a Katana/Regen scrapper, because at level 5ish I thought my HP was taking way to long to "regenerate" even though I was regen.... I only had the first power from my secondary. This was back when IH was a toggle.

Fio Rune  FIre/Rad Stalker                                               Unluck AR/Nin Blaster

Riot Siren Bio/Dark Tank                                                      Ria Greenheart Axe/Sheild scrapper

Blue Meteor Em/Rad Scrapper                                             Kaika DB/INVUN Stalker        

The biggest mistake I ever made in CoX turned out to be a good thing, as it was immediately followed up by the biggest mistake I didn't make...

I was a new player, and I wanted to break in to teaming (I'd been soloing with a scrapper for a while).  I made a Kin/Archery defender, and thought of the character as being "assault support" (i.e., boosting the team's outgoing damage).  To that end, I took Assault from the Leadership pool, and figured that and Siphon Power would be my "thing" for the lower levels.  Billed myself as an "Offender" on LFG (because that's what the cool kids on the forums seemed to call offense-minded defenders), held my breath, and dove into The Hollows.

I was almost immediately picked up by a team consisting of a blaster (the leader), a tank, and a scrapper.  In retrospect, there were warning signs up the wazoo - little quips and snipes about whether I was a "real" healer, basically.  At one point, the scrapper broke off to attack a purple-conning solo mob, and being the dutiful and clueless lowbie, I followed to support.  Suddenly, the blaster and tank both say "Ready!", and shortly after the tank says "heal pls" followed by "lol."  I look for them, and for the life of me can't find them.

At this point, I realize the scrapper was no longer part of the team, but I had no idea when he'd left or if he'd been kicked.  I find the blaster, who was kiting reds and purples like crazy (and aggroing a few more for his trouble).  I bite it in his mob train, he goes down, and then the "helpful comments" start flooding in (every one of the tank's comments ended in "lol").  I added a few "helpful comments" of my own, and quit.  I was an angry young Ted.

My big mistake was not recognizing that the group was looking for a "healer," and/or not making it clear that my character was built for another reason.  Another mistake was chasing down the scrapper instead of following the leader's lead (in retrospect, he may have been trying to catch the "Atlas Express").  Regardless, I was red hot with fury and embarrassment.  I considered deleting the character right then and there - but I channeled my anger, determination, and sheer stubbornness.  I played that character for years afterwards.

Doing the Maria Jenkins arc the other day for portal jockey. Go into mission with black swan (over halfway through arc) and complete objective which is free some prisoner citizen... then exit mission before realizing... I just missed the kill on black swan.

Have to repeat whole Maria Jenkins arc now on that character...  >:(

One of my earliest characters was a rad/rad defender, who I tried to play like superman, because I desperately wanted to laser-beam-eye things to death!  He ended up performing pretty well, eventually, but I think it took doing the Terra Volta trial, then copying to the test server to try out different builds, (since they didn't show the numbers back then).  Cheers!

Friend of mine was quite drunk this weekend but he still manages to kill stuff just fine and he enjoys farming.  He let a lowbie tag along for quite a while and I believe managed to get them all the way to 50. At the end the no longer lowbie offered to give him  70 million for his trouble.  In his drunken state he opened a trade window and GAVE the guy he just PLed 70 million inf.

In my early days I had a spines/dark scrapper.  I found a farm that worked for me, all psi damage.  I had no understanding of mechanics, I just knew that these mobs were easy to kill and didn't affect me much.  So I invite a friend to help on my farm.....an Invuln tank.  About 5 seconds in he faceplants and gets mad for inviting him to join me on something he was not really able to help with.  I have learned a bit since then thankfully.

Besides, I don't have any friends in the game.

We can fix that!  It's easy to make friends in this game.  I usually have to go to some trouble to avoid it...lots of people send server or global friends requests, sometimes unprovoked.  Just tell us what server you're on and either a character name or global and I'll bet you'll get some offers just from folks reading this.