Torchbearer - LGBTQ Shard?

There is a lot of LGBTQ presence on homecoming, I'd have to guess the ability to create any fabulous avatar you want is part of why. But maybe it's coincidence I don't know.

You have the ability to make a super group and if you wan to exclude non LGBTQ I guess that's fine it's just a game. Server wise it seems there is quite a bit of LGBTQ presence on mine (everlasting) I guess there could be even more on Torchbearer.

I agree in this day and age we should just all mix, that's what's best for the world. But if someone doesn't want to I'm certainly not going to force them or argue about it. I hope everyone eventually just becomes comfortable enough to be together.

I totally get the frustration with having non LGBTQ around when you want to be yourself because that nagging feeling of having to censor yourself.

I guess the topic got on a slight tangent because asking if there's an unofficial LGBTQ server because, to several people, it makes as much sense as asking if there's an unofficial man server, or an unofficial woman server, or an unofficial old people server?

Yeah, like the Unofficial PvP Shard or the Unofficial RP Shard. RP-ers and PvP-ers are just like everyone else! They should be welcome everywhere!

As has been said, it's not about segregating ourselves away from society, it's about going somewhere where we can be ourselves with our own, and enjoy playing with like-minded individuals.

I also didn't expect this thread to be so inflammatory when I created it: I honestly just wondered if Torchbearer had been claimed as a LGBTQ space.

I also didn't expect this thread to be so inflammatory when I created it: I honestly just wondered if Torchbearer had been claimed as a LGBTQ space.

Torchbearer is a server for everyone, "claiming" it for one group or another will just lead to people feeling excluded.

• Confused 1

I do not feel excluded.  I don't know why people think like that.  Nobody's trying to say the whole server belongs only to their one particular interest group.

If I started a Pokemon Go channel, and I said that Torchbearer should be the unofficial server for people who also play Pokemon Go, and other people agreed with me, that does not mean anyone else is excluded from playing there too.  It's a very big server. 

Torchbearer is a server for everyone, "claiming" it for one group or another will just lead to people feeling excluded.

They didn't mean it like that obviously. And i don't think people feel excluded, let's give the benefit of the doubt when possible.

Why do people keep trying to win an argument no one is having? He obviously did not mean "claim" in the sense of excluding others from using it. He just wants to know if the CoH LGBTQ community had settled on Torchbearer.

• Like 1

Buff Trick Arrows! | Buff Poison!
Powerset Suggestions: Circus Performers | Telepathy | Symphonic Inspiration | Light Affinity
Old Powerset Suggestions:  Probability Distortion | Magnetism | Hyper-Intellect

Some day, the prophecy will be fulfilled; Trick Arrows will be buffed and I will finally be allowed to diehttps://twitter.com/trickshootah

I have 10 characters on Excelsior now, I'm not moving  :P

So it can be the unofficial unofficial unofficial LGBTQ+ server . . . or something.

Indomitable Heroes: Catgoyle, Toxia, Roberta XR-523, Guardian Clara, Street Cleaner, Princess Cuppycakes

Indomitable Villains: Fluffums, Freeloadin' Freddy, Beatrix the Bunneh, Cheese Thief

I guess the topic got on a slight tangent because asking if there's an unofficial LGBTQ server because, to several people, it makes as much sense as asking if there's an unofficial man server, or an unofficial woman server, or an unofficial old people server?

Yeah, like the Unofficial PvP Shard or the Unofficial RP Shard. RP-ers and PvP-ers are just like everyone else! They should be welcome everywhere!

As has been said, it's not about segregating ourselves away from society, it's about going somewhere where we can be ourselves with our own, and enjoy playing with like-minded individuals.

People make too many assumptions instead of tackling each post as it is. Only thing I can add again is that Everlasting is full of LGBTQ and I see constant activity to suggest a large presence and a multitude of LGBTQ groups. The only super group I've joined so far is not 'LGTBQ only' but the leadership I believe is and one of the main pillars is LGBTQ openness/friendliness.

Everlasting is also the RPG unofficial server so I think in general the full atmosphere of the server will be more open. I can highly recommend it.

Well, "several people" are missing the point and are making a mountain out of a molehill.  The question is, is there a server than has been chosen as the unofficial meeting place for LGBTQ gamers, should they want to meet each other and game together?  If so, which server is it?

I haven't seen one declared in these forums.

I don't think anyone meant anything exclusionary, or claiming as if this were a 40's mining claim to protect. It's a simple question, and a lot of answers are far afield and some are in bad faith. Let's slow down, remember that this may not really effect some of us as much as others, and take the OP's question at face value and move on. Please let's not let this go where it very well might.

I don't think anyone meant anything exclusionary, or claiming as if this were a 40's mining claim to protect. It's a simple question, and a lot of answers are far afield and some are in bad faith. Let's slow down, remember that this may not really effect some of us as much as others, and take the OP's question at face value and move on. Please let's not let this go where it very well might.

Yeah... Some are 'open minded' as far as they are concerned but are so quick to get irate. Some are just quick to get irate in general, so again benefit of the doubt is a good rule.

I have a question: How do you tell if someone is LGBTQ in a MMO?  I've teamed with plenty and at no time did they appear to be anything other than another player.  Maybe I'm just still blind and naïve at 45, but it's a game filled with people dressed in tights or less...nothing really stands out to me.

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

I have a question: How do you tell if someone is LGBTQ in a MMO?  I've teamed with plenty and at no time did they appear to be anything other than another player.  Maybe I'm just still blind and naïve at 45, but it's a game filled with people dressed in tights or less...nothing really stands out to me.

Conversation.

Buff Trick Arrows! | Buff Poison!
Powerset Suggestions: Circus Performers | Telepathy | Symphonic Inspiration | Light Affinity
Old Powerset Suggestions:  Probability Distortion | Magnetism | Hyper-Intellect

Some day, the prophecy will be fulfilled; Trick Arrows will be buffed and I will finally be allowed to diehttps://twitter.com/trickshootah

The unofficial Pride server is Everlasting, the new Virtue, and therefore the sexiest server.  The unofficial Pride server cluster is Homecoming, where everyone can play regardless of gender identity (although until we get more costume and vfx people you do have to express with one of three gendered bodies; however, we'll respect your gender choice because frankly gamers have been asking to be called some gender other than their avatar since the dawn of avatars).

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.  Please don't let the door hit you on the way out; we've been trying to establish boundaries and it's still struggling to learn that not everyone appreciates that kind of touch.

No-Set Builds: Tanker Scrapper Brute Stalker

Well, "several people" are missing the point and are making a mountain out of a molehill.  The question is, is there a server than has been chosen as the unofficial meeting place for LGBTQ gamers, should they want to meet each other and game together?  If so, which server is it?

I haven't seen one declared in these forums.

Put like this, it makes more sense, I guess. I still think SGs are the best way to go to meet folks in the same community. It's not like there can't be at least one LGBT SG by server. It's easier than ever to create one, too, so if you feel it's lacking, why not?

And to finally answer the question directly: sorry, never been on Torchbearer, only playing on Reunion, which seems quite LGBT-friendly at first glance, but it being the unofficial EU server, it might come with other issues, namely timezones.

Part-time table flipper

Global: Skathi the Huntress

Yeah on Everlasting there is usually about 2-4 variations of 'fabulous' with bare chests and pink detailing on the costume hanging around Ms Liberty sooo. And then there is the LGBTQ RP that is constantly flying so it's fairly easy to find people.

Not LGBTQ myself but the vibe is amazing, so far the most awesome groups I end up in are LGBTQ groups.

Like last night, I dropped an embarrassing mistell in the help channel.. everyone there laughed it off.. I am glad I did it on Torchbearer and not on an RP server...

I assure you, everyone on an RP server has seen a worse mistell. We don't judge. Well we do judge, usually on a scale of 1-10 for how juicy to mistell is. :)

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

Real life sexual preference has no place in City of Heroes.

This is patently untrue. There are people behind the characters, and we form friendships and attachments to those people. As their sexual preference may be important to them, among other things, it may come up in conversations as well. This is normal, extremely normal, as people do talk about wives or husbands, children and the such which have some implications about their sexuality (though not strictly). Our outside lives do come up and often, and there's no reason to exclude this type of preference considering how normative it really is.

You don't divorce the players from the characters unless you don't form friendships and just PUG. Although you could reform that to "excluding people based on sexual preference has no place in City of Heroes" which I might agree with. Deeming your outside life and aspects overall unimportant is a blanket statement I cannot get behind.

• Like 2

As a reminder here, we've had a lot of player hosted events in the old days, allowed or sponsored by the devs. We've had pride parades, marriages, religious gatherings (including a Satanist one) and more I can't think of.

I don't really like reminding folks of the old days, comes off more elitist and prescriptive than I care for. But in this instance, I feel like this is something we do need to live up to still.

• Like 1