Torchbearer - LGBTQ Shard?

It amazes me that certain groups will demand that all other accept them in their social circles, but at the same time demand a special place where they can exclude all others.

Thats kind of like a vegan demanding you cater to their eating habits if yu want them to come over and eat, but refuse to do the same for you if you eat at their place.

Equality is nobody has a place they can exclude others or everybody has one.

You know, I spoke about this on the City of Titans' forums but it was more in regards to an LGBT+ SG.  I didn't say it was wrong or bad, just unnecessary as most people are pretty accepting and those that make a big fuss should be excluded.  I got shouted down and promptly "ignored" (not really ignored since oppressed folks won't ever let you forget being oppressed).

I'm glad people are talking sense.  I'm not saying an LGBT SG or server shard is bad, just unnecessary.

Also, as a long gone former member of the Furry community, if you keep letting a group segregate and sit in an echo-chamber, shit gets insane and people start airing some egregious fetishes and behaviors.  How else do you think you get these disturbing displays at RL pride parades and people just look the other way?  No no, these types need to cool their stockings and bumless-chaps with the rest of us LGBT and act like normal human beings.  There's nothing you can't speak or express around a heterosexual person that you would only be able to do around other LGBT+s...and if it is, you probably should reflect on why that is rather than blame someone you haven't interacted with yet for oppressing you.

Oh and I just contributed to getting the thread closed.  My bad  :(

It amazes me that certain groups will demand that all other accept them in their social circles, but at the same time demand a special place where they can exclude all others.

Thats kind of like a vegan demanding you cater to their eating habits if yu want them to come over and eat, but refuse to do the same for you if you eat at their place.

What is going on? Literally nobody asked you to accept anything. Someone asked if the LGBTQ community was on Torchbearer and this blew up with people acting like it was an invasion.

Buff Trick Arrows! | Buff Poison!
Powerset Suggestions: Circus Performers | Telepathy | Symphonic Inspiration | Light Affinity | Force Shield
Old Powerset Suggestions:  Probability Distortion | Magnetism | Hyper-Intellect

Some day, the prophecy will be fulfilled; Trick Arrows will be buffed and I will finally be allowed to diehttps://twitter.com/trickshootah

You know, I spoke about this on the City of Titans' forums but it was more in regards to an LGBT+ SG.  I didn't say it was wrong or bad, just unnecessary as most people are pretty accepting and those that make a big fuss should be excluded.  I got shouted down and promptly "ignored" (not really ignored since oppressed folks won't ever let you forget being oppressed).

I'm glad people are talking sense.  I'm not saying an LGBT SG or server shard is bad, just unnecessary.

Also, as a long gone former member of the Furry community, if you keep letting a group segregate and sit in an echo-chamber, shit gets insane and people start airing some egregious fetishes and behaviors.  How else do you think you get these disturbing displays at RL pride parades and people just look the other way?  No no, these types need to cool their stockings and bumless-chaps with the rest of us LGBT and act like normal human beings.  There's nothing you can't speak or express around a heterosexual person that you would only be able to do around other LGBT+s...and if it is, you probably should reflect on why that is rather than blame someone you haven't interacted with yet for oppressing you.

This isn't about excluding anyone. Wanting to feel part of a community is not the same as wanting to exclude people.

Buff Trick Arrows! | Buff Poison!
Powerset Suggestions: Circus Performers | Telepathy | Symphonic Inspiration | Light Affinity | Force Shield
Old Powerset Suggestions:  Probability Distortion | Magnetism | Hyper-Intellect

Some day, the prophecy will be fulfilled; Trick Arrows will be buffed and I will finally be allowed to diehttps://twitter.com/trickshootah

bumless-chaps

All chaps are bumless, it's an inherent part of the nature of chaps.

Sorry, pet peeve. You may carry on with the regular discussion

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

Simmer down.  That's not what's happening here.

Indomitable Heroes: Catgoyle, Toxia, Roberta XR-523, Guardian Clara, Street Cleaner, Princess Cuppycakes

Indomitable Villains: Fluffums, Freeloadin' Freddy, Beatrix the Bunneh, Cheese Thief

Allow me to put this to rest. Please...hear me out here.

Somebody had asked if a server was the unofficial pride server. Which was a fine question to ask. One person says, "I'd like to believe that in 2019, LGBT individuals are welcome on any server." That in itself shouldn't have sparked controversy, it was meant with well intentions...but it was responded to with a bit of aggressive debate.

The reaction to the aforementioned comment was met with offense taken, which in turn...spawned an unnecessary and sometimes offensive debate that spiraled out of control.

Now, to be fair, the OP already got their answer to their question from a Discord channel that was designated for the LGBT Community. So having said that, the OP knew the answer to their question before making this post.

Do I feel like the OP was looking to start a heated debate? No, I do not believe so. I believe the OP simply sought confirmation. The only mistake the OP made, was not thinking their question through very well before posting.

HOWEVER, in all fairness, we have ALL made that mistake on these boards. We are all human. And as much as we would all like to pretend that we are perfect on these boards...we all deep down know better.

So, if we could all please, cut the OP some slack, and let's simply answer the question and move on, shall we? Not every question asked on these boards has to be a headache by people over analyzing a question and giving an answer that is equally over debated.

The OP meant no harm, and neither did the poster who said, "I'd like to believe that in 2019, LGBT individuals are welcome on any server."

It's nice to have a safe space that is exclusively queer. Gay bars may be closing, but we still like to have a place to go where it's just us.

I don't think it's fair to presume that you can speak on behalf of all LGBT - I'm LGBT and I feel that it's the people who can't accept LGBT who should need to segregate themselves into a safe space. We exist, we're a part of Planet Earth, and they need to get over it and be decent to their fellow humans or go separate themselves until they can be.

Should doesn't make is, unfortunately. There are still far too many bigoted idiots around, particularly on the topic of GRSM. Yes, the bigots should be the one having to seek shelter in their own little space. But they're not. As much progress as has been made, there is still a long way to go.

Like last night, I dropped an embarrassing mistell in the help channel.. everyone there laughed it off.. I am glad I did it on Torchbearer and not on an RP server...

I assure you, everyone on an RP server has seen a worse mistell. We don't judge. Well we do judge, usually on a scale of 1-10 for how juicy to mistell is. :)

Oh, I wasn't worried about the MT, I would have been worried about having to RP it off... ;) It was kinda harmless  in the grand scale of things.. I said "That's cause I like to play nekkid!"  (I happen to have a character that looks like he's not wearing pants which someone in the SG chat had said something about.)

• City Council

Somebody had asked if a server was the unofficial pride server. Which was a fine question to ask. One person says, "I'd like to believe that in 2019, LGBT individuals are welcome on any server." That in itself shouldn't have sparked controversy, it was meant with well intentions...but it was responded to with a bit of aggressive debate.

The reaction to the aforementioned comment was met with offense taken, which in turn...spawned an unnecessary and sometimes offensive debate that spiraled out of control.

Now, to be fair, the OP already got their answer to their question from a Discord channel that was designated for the LGBT Community. So having said that, the OP knew the answer to their question before making this post.

Do I feel like the OP was looking to start a heated debate? No, I do not believe so. I believe the OP simply sought confirmation. The only mistake the OP made, was not thinking their question through very well before posting.

HOWEVER, in all fairness, we have ALL made that mistake on these boards. We are all human. And as much as we would all like to pretend that we are perfect on these boards...we all deep down know better.

So, if we could all please, cut the OP some slack, and let's simply answer the question and move on, shall we? Not every question asked on these boards has to be a headache by people over analyzing a question and giving an answer that is equally over debated.

The OP meant no harm, and neither did the poster who said, "I'd like to believe that in 2019, LGBT individuals are welcome on any server."

Hello. I am a moderator, and I agree with this post. Thank you.

"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!

This isn't about excluding anyone. Wanting to feel part of a community is not the same as wanting to exclude people.

I didn't say anything about excluding anyone.

Hello. I am a moderator, and I agree with this post. Thank you.

Yes, this is exactly correct. No offense was meant by anyone, and everyone is welcome everywhere. It's a great thing :]

Sexual preference? The 1980's called... they want their outdated and incorrect labeling system back.

Being LGBT+ is not a preference - liking a fan on at night to help you sleep is a preference. Ordering mayonaise on your cheeseburger is a preference.

I sure hope you tell people who talk about their spouses and children to leave their sexual "preference" at the login screen... wouldn't want ya to seem hypocritical. Part of the fun of the game, for a lot of people, is getting to know others - where they live, their occupations, and gasp... their family life. I personally enjoy knowing that I am playing with a married mom of 3 kids, a single guy who can't find a decent girlfriend, and yes even LGBT persons who oddly enough experience the same family and relationship issues as heterosexuals (shocker). Sorry that a man talking about his boyfriend or a woman talking about her wife is something you think doesn't belong in a game that has always been one with a social aspect to it. Getting to know people enhances the gaming experience for me and helped me create friendships from Live that are still in place today. I think you have a huge misconception about what LGBT+ people are like in the real world and in CoH... we don't run around screaming "I'M GAY!!!" or flood team chat with detailed stories of our intimate relationships. I will however talk about my cat because she sits on a desk next to mine and watches me play the game....

My global is @Burnt Reynolds and I play on Indomitable  - so you can ignore/avoid me if what I have said offends you or goes against your PREFERENCE of the way you play the game. Alternatively, if you are an open minded person who loves to do task forces, trials, PL, etc... look me up - always looking for new friends.

Real life sexual preference has no place in City of Heroes.

I left work yesterday and this thread went ballistic.  :o

My question was answered on the Discord before it was answered here; I shoulda deleted the thread. My bad.

Also: Sexual identity with superheroes: Harley Quinn and the Joker had/have a (really bad) sexual relationship (straight). Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy are/had a relationship (gay).

Even superheroes f*ck.

• Like 1

Like last night, I dropped an embarrassing mistell in the help channel.. everyone there laughed it off.. I am glad I did it on Torchbearer and not on an RP server...

I assure you, everyone on an RP server has seen a worse mistell. We don't judge. Well we do judge, usually on a scale of 1-10 for how juicy to mistell is. :)

Oh, I wasn't worried about the MT, I would have been worried about having to RP it off... ;) It was kinda harmless  in the grand scale of things.. I said "That's cause I like to play nekkid!"  (I happen to have a character that looks like he's not wearing pants which someone in the SG chat had said something about.)

I would give it a 5 for potential, probably being generous though. ;)

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

It amazes me in that in 2019 with the Internet at ones fingertips that one can still be this aggressively ignorant.

Humans find amazment in a great many things.

It amazes me in that in 2019 with the Internet at ones fingertips that one can still be this aggressively ignorant.

Humans find amazment in a great many things.

It amazes ME that anyone would make this kind of ad hominem "It's the Current Year, look it up, you're too dumb for my big brain to explain, I can't even" kind of post with any sincerity.

He has a point, by the way.  Gays have a habit of demanding segregation and then getting mad about segregation.  But that's what you get when your entire goal is to get attention.  If you're gonna build a pillow fort with a sign that says "no straights allowed," don't get pissed when we don't try to get in.

Well it amazes ME that Mantis Shrimp are divided into two classifications based on what type of lethal supersonic combat limb adaptation they have: Smashers and Spearers.  Now, that's taken from the Wikipedia page, so I don't know if those are the scientific zoological terms... but I really hope so.  And seriously, have you seen these guys?

mantis-shrimp-facts.jpg

They're fabulous.

No-Set Builds: Tanker Scrapper Brute Stalker

Well it amazes ME that Mantis Shrimp are divided into two classifications based on what type of lethal supersonic combat limb adaptation they have: Smashers and Spearers.  Now, that's taken from the Wikipedia page, so I don't know if those are the scientific zoological terms... but I really hope so.  And seriously, have you seen these guys?

mantis-shrimp-facts.jpg

They're fabulous.

They are fabulous.

Just like the posters here that are kind enough to, the Mantis Shrimp shows us it's true colors.

I do wish we had a larger color wheel in-game to match some of these vibrants.

Just like the posters here that are kind enough to, the Mantis Shrimp shows us it's true colors.

That's another crazy thing -- they perceive color totally differently than we do.  Humans have three (occasionally four) types of color receptor in the eye, but the mantis shrimp has 12.  We have no idea* what mantis shrimp look like to each other!

It's probably a metaphor for like, different perspectives or something, but seriously I just think mantis shrimp are so awesome.

* i mean, maybe science does.  but how do magnets even work anyway.

No-Set Builds: Tanker Scrapper Brute Stalker

• City Council

I regret to cut off this wonderful mantis shrimp discussion, but as the OP's question has been answered and this thread seems liable to devolve into trolling and/or ad hominems at the drop of a hat, I think it's best that I lock this now.

"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!