How Do You Like to Level

I typically follow @Gulbasaur's excellent Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs for most of my characters, but I want to explore some alternative levelling methods to keep things interesting.

How do you like to level your characters, typically?

Do you have a series of well defined methods that you rotate, or one stretegy you employ time and time again?

Do you still run through the old-school origin Contacts in City Hall?

Are you focused on completing as much content as possible, or teaming with others from Level 1?

I'm thinking of running a character that only interatcs with Contacts that you cannot avoid (Twinshot, etc) and levels mostly through Safeguard missions and Task Forces. Maybe.

So, yeah, how do you like to level?

• Thanks 1

I PUG nearly all the time, because it feels too slow soloing. I like the chaos of a team.  So it really falls to a matter of what I can find.  I tend to avoid TFs when I can because I'm bored of them and don't feel the need to chase accolades for measly returns.  Generally do not farm, not in any manner, or certainly not "I just picked up 35 levels" kind of farming - I';m not here to be bored.

Tim "Black Scorpion" Sweeney: Matt (Posi) used to say that players would find the shortest path to the rewards even if it was a completely terrible play experience that would push them away from the game...

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

My most frequent path:

Run around and punch stuff from Ms. Liberty to the Hollows. Get to the Hollows around level 4-5. Punch stuff in the Hollows until level 7. Hopefully I hit a rare salvage by this point. Sell salvage and buy level 10 SOs. Head to Perez Park. Buy lucks from the nurse. Punch Hellion bosses until lvl 10. Punch Vahzilok bosses until lvl 12. Punch Lost bosses until lvl 15. (This goes really fast even without the double XP bonus, which I hardly ever use) Teleport to Jim Temblor. Run Faultline. Teleport to Stephanie Peeples. Run Striga. Teleport to Gordon Bower. Run Croatoa. Try and solo the Brickstown prison event just to see where I'm at. Teleport to Levantera. Run Rikti War Zone. Use all those sweet reward merits to buy enhancement converters (until this point I just hit the upgrade button on the SOs when they turn red). Sell enhancement converters. Buy attuned IO sets to softcap defense or hardcap resistance and then Proc out. Crank difficulty as high as possible. Run a long story arc I haven't run recently. Hit 50. Retire if bored. Go full purple / winter Os if not.

Edited by dtjunkie
  • Like 1

Back on Live, I went to 50 as slow as I could on all my main 5 characters - experiencing as much of the contacts as I could.  Nowadays though - it's zoom to 50 as fast as I can and Ouro any content I want to relive again.  I'll always check out the new content Homecoming team puts out though.

*added*

Note that I prefer not to engage in A/E farming though.  I still do official content to level quickly.  TFs, Radios, Dark Astoria missions, etc.

Edited by SupaFreak

4 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Do you call it "leveling" or "levelling"?  

This one bugs me a lot and I'm inconsistent.

According to garmmarhow.com, If you speak British English, use “Levelling”. If you speak American English, use “Leveling”.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/24/2024 at 2:56 AM, Yomo Kimyata said:

Do you call it "leveling" or "levelling"?  

This one bugs me a lot and I'm inconsistent.

I prefer to use the French version

"Le Velling"

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

There's a fine line between a numerator and a denominator but only a fraction of people understand that.

On 1/24/2024 at 2:19 AM, American Decoy said:

According to garmmarhow.com, If you speak British English, use “Levelling”. If you speak American English, use “Leveling”.

I would have thought the British English version would have had a “u” or two in there somewhere.

• Haha 2

Who run Bartertown?

Story content, TFs/SFs/Trials.  Blue, Red, and Gold.

I generally avoid the DFB, but may run through it once with no XP boosts, and then go into Kings Row or Hollows story content.  I also typically avoid radio mishes.  I'd like to avoid paper mishes Red-side, but you have to do some just to get introduced to contacts.  

For me, the game is about the journey and all the stories and arcs that shape my character's life or enhance their backstory. 

• Like 1

I usually do Mathew Burke through the snakes in Mercy, just to get used to how my toon works. Then I hit up Null the Gull and go to Atlas. There I do Habanashy/Costel/Theiry and Twinshot. Then its back to red to get the Invader badge, I have toons on two different accounts who can do it now, and maybe the Loa Bone and Plague Carrier, if not, I'll get them in flashback later.  Back to blue for the midnighter guy and more Twinshot until I hit faultline. Then all of faultline, all of striga, all of Croatoa, and usually I pop back to red to fight 8 of my clones at once at some point. After Croatoa I stay red till Maria Jenkins. Dean McAllister, whoever follows him, Doc Buzzsaw, and Mr. G are the only ones I do with all my toons. Besides them, I try different red side toons till it's Portal Jockey time. By the time I hit MJ, I try to have Invader, Atlas Medallion, and High Pain Threshold. If I can pick up a Mortamir Kal group, I'll do that too.

After that it's pick up task forces I missed along with flashback, tips (staying Rogue or vigialnte) and Rikti War Zone stuff. Once I hit 50 it's Mender Rameil and when I get my alpha level shift, it's off to Dark Astoria. Then I'll do either all the Grandville or Peregrine Island contacts I can get.  The main thing is, do all the contacts I can get so I know what my toon can and can't do, and what I need to fix using incarnate powers.

I have a friend who ALWAYS power levels to 50. Always takes musculature alpha, whatever the electric judgement is called, and the barrier destiny because, as he will say, they are the best and you would be stupid to take anything else. Many of his toons are level 50 and have endurance issues. He also has way over 100 level 50's spread out over 4 accounts. He has an electric/electric, fire epic, musculature/electric judgement/barrier toon on every account (really he has about 10 on each account) and that's the only toon he uses on that account, he drags others around and power levels. He has way to many toons that are sitting at level 50 doing nothing, not even incarnate stuff. I have 4 accounts and way to many level 50's too, but I know what all of them can do. He also has over a dozen toons with Unai 's mission to explore the 1st dimension (freakshow) saved and he farms that. I'll admit I have a couple of toons with that mission saved, it's a good way to get the tankbuster badge. But if I save one of Unai's missions to farm, it's more likely to be the explore the second Nemesis world mission where you have to save the trolls, and I farm that for the fakes. I can honestly say I've done most, if not all, the level 40 to 50+ contacts, red, blue, or gold a couple of times. I can honestly say my friend hasn't done the Wards once and only hits up grandville if he's piggingbacking on my missions there. Other than Tina, Maria, and Unai, he doesn't do the PI contacts. One time he tagged along on the kidnap Miss Francine string and said other than fighting freakshow it was stupid. ANd maybe it is, but he farms the same mission about 10 times a week and to me, that's stupider.

This has been you're rant of the day

14 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I would have thought the British English version would have had a “u” or two in there somewhere.

Yeah, uLevel is typically British! 🤣

There's a fine line between a numerator and a denominator but only a fraction of people understand that.

Atlas park mission painting arc (whichever one that is) until level five.  Then to KR and radio missions until level 40.  At 40 I start Tina's missions to get Anti-Matter  for PJ, and then other three accolades (AM, TFC, FFR).  Once that is finished, then I finish with radios to 50.  I don't particularly care for the story in the game, and I don't like zone hopping required of story arcs.  So radios it is.  I am in no particular rush.

Torchbearer

The very first thing I do is get the Ouro Port:  

Take the tunnel transport, the portal next to the train in Atlas (ferry in Mercy Island), to night ward. Enter the midnighter mansion. This gets you the midnighter badge.

Go back to Atlas (Mercy Island), take the train to Steel Canyon (ferry to Cap au Diable north ferry), enter the midnight club and go to Cimerora. This gets you the Ouroboros portal.

After that, pbfff.  I just play.  Love PuGs--Pug arcs, Pug TFs, Pug Radio missions, etc.  If I solo, I take time to read the mission lore.  Oh, I follow some market guides to generate enough Inf to but a jet pack, before even thinking of XP boosters.  Lately, I've been turning off XP to finish favorite arcs, like all the Hollows' arcs, Tina Macintyre, etc.

Back on live, we would rush to KR to get the police radio and do the bank mission for the temp jet pack power.  Now, with P2W jet pack and easy Inf, I rarely rush the KR Police Radio Bank mission--keep the insp from the Breakout tutorial, wack a couple Hellion in AP on the way to getting Ouro Portal, put the large Insp in AH to get the Inf to buy the jet pack.

To the OP original question "How Do You Like to Level:" At the trainer.

I start Hero-side, hit up P2W, beat up Hellion Gunners for a few minutes until I hit L5, then run to King's Row, finally level up, pick up a Police Band Radio, and start running missions.  Once I hit 22, I IO out, then I might look at running Flashback for some merits/badges if I want to grab some of the special ATOs.  I also tag along with some RL friends when they're on.  At some point during all of that I'll typically hit Pocket D, talk to Null the Gull on the truck, and change my alignment to Vigilante or Rogue so I can hop back and forth depend on the group I'm playing with.

With extreme prejudice! 😄 No matter which side I'm on (blue/red/gold) at the time.  Though on Red side I do as little as possible in Port Oakes; Avoid Kings Row when possible on Blue side; and tend to Loyalist on Gold (must. kill. Reese!) >< 

• Like 1