PUG team life

I have not had a bad PUG experience in a very long time.

Feel either very lucky and need to buy a lottery ticket

Or doing something wrong

Was even part of a flawlessly run PUG Cavern of Transcendence

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

/e poofgone

27 minutes ago, JasperStone said:

Feel either very lucky and need to buy a lottery ticket

Or doing something wrong

Was even part of a flawlessly run PUG Cavern of Transcendence

get altitis and run a few posi 1s  your odds will change....

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Snarky said:

get altitis and run a few posi 1s  your odds will change....

Though, TBF, I don't necessarily hold a bad doppelganger encounter against a team.  There's just too many variables and even a solid team with a good plan can have things go all pear shaped.

• Like 2

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

10 minutes ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

Though, TBF, I don't necessarily hold a bad doppelganger encounter against a team.  There's just too many variables and even a solid team with a good plan can have things go all pear shaped.

it usually goes south at the steps to city hall.  if the team can get to the doppelgangers (and heaven forbid not run in one at a time....i have seen it....) then i usually have 15 secs to grab insp from email, and use my toon at way better than level 15 should allow.  

My last Posi 1 run was on an AR Dev.  The team made a mess of the city steps, but we got through it. Likewise inside, agroing everything. The team did indeed charge the Doppelgangers somewhat piecemeal.  I ate insp and did what I could.  Massive wipe.  I had made it to the far back room.  Where I rezzed. Ate inspirations and started ST one after another.  I put two down before the team made it back.  only one more death for me 🙂 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Snarky said:

it usually goes south at the steps to city hall. 

Aye.  If it didn't go south right before that from the team splitting up to head for different targets and ending up aggroing half the map...

• Haha 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

28 minutes ago, Snarky said:

it usually goes south at the steps to city hall.  if the team can get to the doppelgangers (and heaven forbid not run in one at a time....i have seen it....) then i usually have 15 secs to grab insp from email, and use my toon at way better than level 15 should allow.  

My last Posi 1 run was on an AR Dev.  The team made a mess of the city steps, but we got through it. Likewise inside, agroing everything. The team did indeed charge the Doppelgangers somewhat piecemeal.  I ate insp and did what I could.  Massive wipe.  I had made it to the far back room.  Where I rezzed. Ate inspirations and started ST one after another.  I put two down before the team made it back.  only one more death for me 🙂 

I actually ran with a Posi 1 a while back that insisted on pulling each doppelganger

ok

The massacre...

A direct quote

"What the hell was that?! I don't have that power!"

• Haha 1

/e poofgone

2 minutes ago, JasperStone said:

I actually ran with a Posi 1 a while back that insisted on pulling each doppelganger

ok

The massacre...

A direct quote

One of my favorite Doppelganger fights was on a new Dom I was trying out.  I built up and carefully saved DOMINATION.  Right before the fight I hit Dom and AoE Hold.  

and that, was that.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JasperStone said:

The massacre...

A direct quote

Tell me about it.  My Rad Armor Tanker clones always get debuffs from Radiation Emission like the unresistible version of Enervating Field.  I once tried fighting 8 clones in Leonard's redside arc and they all hit me with that simultaneously.  Capped resistance taken all the way into the negative.  Needless to say I was shortly in LFG channel with a plea that began, "Everyone... I think I've made a terrible mistake..."

• Haha 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

6 minutes ago, ZemX said:

Tell me about it.  My Rad Armor Tanker clones always get debuffs from Radiation Emission like the unresistible version of Enervating Field.  I once tried fighting 8 clones in Leonard's redside arc and they all hit me with that simultaneously.  Capped resistance taken all the way into the negative.  Needless to say I was shortly in LFG channel with a plea that began, "Everyone... I think I've made a terrible mistake..."

enervating field is unresistable resistance debuff?

i played a posi 1 last night, on the very first mob whilst we were waiting for the team, the tank jumped into a large mob of +1 vahzilok and died very quickly

the next few missions involved the team playing in absolute silence and not using any of their buffing powers

a signature PuG Posi

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, MoonSheep said:

i played a posi 1 last night, on the very first mob whilst we were waiting for the team, the tank jumped into a large mob of +1 vahzilok and died very quickly

the next few missions involved the team playing in absolute silence and not using any of their buffing powers

a signature PuG Posi

Don't know whether to laugh or cry on thar one

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, MoonSheep said:

a signature PuG Posi

On the flip side, I did a Posi 1 yesterday and it was like butter. Nobody got too loose cannon with things, the Vahz ambushes were handily taken care of and when the team lead asked everyone to not go to the door until we'd cleared the area around? Nobody went to the door. We even had one person ask why, which led to some of us explaining what happens. We held the door when we got there, two of us kept an eye out for the ambush and we rolled inside. Hug the wall and go left then to the other group, never an issue. When we got to the doppelgangers, we explained to the previous person that these shadows have access to powers we don't and we talked about who to take down first. We finished that TF in a shade over 29 minutes with zero deaths.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

As with most content in this game... the solution is purple inspirations.... or in some cases, team purples.

• Thumbs Up 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

11 hours ago, JasperStone said:

Same here, but I think I know the reason in my case.

About 95% of the PUGs I'm on, I'm the leader and I know where to expect trouble in most of the task forces.

• Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

19 hours ago, Snarky said:

enervating field is unresistable resistance debuff?

Not the player version, but there are several mobs that have the unresistable version (i.e., Paragon Protector Elite and Longbow Warden Radiation Defenders). I've had a lvl 50 tank  with capped resists shredded in seconds.

In Posi 1, the clone's powers don't always match the player's, especially if you have one of the sets added after shutdown. So if you have Rad Armor, there's a good chance your clone will have a Rad Defender secondary (and get the unresistable version of Enervating Field). 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

3 minutes ago, Uun said:

Not the player version, but there are several mobs that have the unresistable version (i.e., Paragon Protector Elite and Longbow Warden Radiation Defenders). I've had a lvl 50 tank  with capped resists shredded in seconds.

This.  Same goes for Tar Patch and variants of it too.  Though thankfully it seems the one they are giving CoT in the next update on Brainstorm now ISN'T the unresistable version.  Fingers crossed it stays that way.

i find the majority of pugs going south stem from the super uber players not playing to the teams strengths and then having a moan about how "it should be easy" and "i normally just do this and its fine".

i've come back to the game about 5 months ago and in that time i've pug'd 99% of the time in tfs, so far only about 3 poor groups - always with the above being the issue, the teams with newbies has always been laidback and fun, and most people are willing to help if someone pipes up to say they are newby.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

10 minutes ago, gonkeh said:

i find the majority of pugs going south stem from the super uber players not playing to the teams strengths and then having a moan about how "it should be easy" and "i normally just do this and its fine".

That's someone who didn't check the team roster.  Whenever I've run into a problem, it's usually the difficulty is set to +4 and half or more of the team is sidekicked.   In other words, the enemies are +5 and +6 above the sidekicks' heads and they might as well be door sitting if they are not buffers/healers.  Tends to be a self-fixing problem though as the PuG leaders who routinely ignore this find their teams quitting on them in frustration until they learn to set a more reasonable +1 or +2 until they've taken the measure of the team.

• Thumbs Up 1

The PUG teams I gather on Everlasting are almost always awesome at getting the job done.

There's sometimes a bit of figuring things out in the first mission, but I'm constantly amazed by this hive-mind like ability players have to figure out what each other are doing and adjust accordingly.

I do run at +2 as a default. That probably helps.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

I PUG all the time, it usually goes just fine.  And when it doesn't, one or two players may drop, but when we stick it out and make things work, there's no better feeling.  Steam rolling is dull you yahoo quitters.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I like it when the enemies fight back.

My only bad pug experiences are when people are being rude to each other or something like that.

I can't really help to teach a person a thing about attitude if that's even possible with them, but for everything else, having to actually play the game does not bother me.

If somebody's at least trying, that's enough for me to enjoy myself. If not, I can just prioritize getting myself through the content instead of clearing for/vendor rezzing the dead.

Like people have mentioned above, you can just gimp whatever with some purples and reds. Mostly reds. The nuclear option of mild preparation is almost always there.

And for the very few things that can't be solved with some consumables, that's the attraction for that specific content in the first place.