Can City of... save superheroes?

11 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

No. City of Heroes cannot "save" the superhero genre.

It's not really endanger to begin with, but I suppose that you're specifically talking about the MCU and DCCU. They're movies that were watched by billions of people world-wide. Not anymore though, which is why superhero movies are now failing at the box office.  The 100k or so people who might end up playing Homecoming aren't going to be able to buy enough movie tickets to change that. Period. It's simple math.

But the genre itself isn't going to cease to exist.

At a certain level, the fatigue is real.

But mostly BECAUSE the current offerings are such shit.
But not entirely.

Do I think CoH si going to "save" the genre?
No.

What it'll do is change how the superhero genre accumulates (and loses) mind-share for a while.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Microphone 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

WB/DC's problem is rebootitis taken to absurd extremes.  If a film doesn't gross a billion, reboot.  If a film doesn't test as well as a film which grossed a billion, reboot.  If a producer watches a daily and doesn't think it looks like something that might gross a billion, reboot.  If it's Tuesday, reboot.  Executive meddling in hope of guaranteeing that everything released sets records has crippled them.  At this point, when they do manage to push something out the door, we expect them to abandon it, and we don't develop an attachment, or even interest, because we already know there's nothing coming in the future.  We don't trust them to deliver on the promise inherent in superhero films, the promise of continuance, of sequels.  They'll either reboot or throw it away, so no-one cares any more.  James Gunn coming on board and cancelling even more projects, while green-lighting B- and C-lister properties... that probably isn't going to help as much as they imagined it would.

Marvel built up so much hype and excitement with their original Avengers line-up that moving on to different characters was what hit them the hardest.  I've read various complaints about what they've done after Phase Three, but as I've only seen Black Widow, Shang-Chi and No Way Home, I'm not in a position to agree or disagree with them.  But we all spent over a decade watching the central characters and seeing their stories play out, and when those characters were removed, it left a big hole in the MCU.  We can't blame Marvel for that, they couldn't chain the actors to the characters, or drag out their stories, indefinitely.  Nor were the actors at fault, they have lives and interests outside of the MCU.  But those characters and the actors playing them were what kept people going back for more, and without them, Marvel's fighting an uphill battle to recreate what they built in Phases One through Three.

I don't envision Co*'s return to the light having any impact on either of them.  It doesn't touch on the problems affecting those companies in any way.  It's not going to make people believe DC will get off the treadmill and start moving again, or insert retired characters into Marvel's new offerings.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

This is a great game and stuff... but compared to the MCU and DCU, CoH will never be more then a footnote in a footnote of an underappreciated text stuck in a drawer and never read by anyone.  We're experiencing the peak of this game right now.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

Spandex has always been a minor genre. The last ten-odd years were simply an anomaly as one overlord found a way to cash in on a monumental scale. But I started to groan at the list of additions to MCU as they tried to mine lesser and lesser assets for questionable reasons... and the box office concurs.

There's probably not many here old enough to remember when every other movie was a western, as well as some huge percentage of TV shows. Don't see many of either now, or much since about 1968.

Time for supes-ys to go back in the box with their core fan base. CoH isn't going to recharge the spandex genre any more than, say, Echo is.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

3 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

This is a great game and stuff... but compared to the MCU and DCU, CoH will never be more then a footnote in a footnote of an underappreciated text stuck in a drawer and never read by anyone.  We're experiencing the peak of this game right now.

Sorry, IMNSHO, longevity and survival count as victory.

• Like 1

I pretty much had my fill of Superhero movies after Endgame. Yet even though I have no interest in Marvel or DC content, I still log in every day. Superhero fatigue is about oversaturating TV and Movie screens, not video games. 

• 2 weeks later
On 2/2/2024 at 8:14 PM, Doc_Scorpion said:

Whatever you're smoking, ain't no place in the world that it's legal.

Think about it. There are millions of mmo players that play other moms. Many who have never played CoH. And then there are millions of console players who have pcs but never played an mmo or coh. And then there are even more millions who have pcs that would play CoH and mmos if they knew about them.

Because WE play mmos and know about mmos, we think all people do. But that is not the case. And many people who play mmos only play just one mmo and don't go on forums or news sites to find out about other mmos because they are too busy playing their mmo.

Many mmos will promote to players who are already playing one or multiple other mmos, so promoting to them doesn't peel many yo CoH and those that do come try CoH are already jaded and burnt out from how they play other mmos 

So we need fresh blood. So yup, CoH could get millions if new players. 

If every player would put up a CoH Homecoming social post just once a week, that will bring a lot of new players. Try it out and you will see! Woohoo

And I've been a professional in the advertising and marketing fields, as well as design and media, for over 22 years. So I'm not just making this up.

28 minutes ago, Xalon said:

There are millions of mmo players that play other moms.

Why didn't anyone tell me about this before I turned into a recluse living in the woods?  I could've been playing moms instead!

Bunch of jerks.  I HATE ALL OF YOU.

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Why didn't anyone tell me about this before I turned into a recluse living in the woods?  I could've been playing moms instead!

Bunch of jerks.  I HATE ALL OF YOU.

I wouldn't get too worked up about it. I've played a couple of moms before, it's not as great as it sounds.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

1 hour ago, Xalon said:

Because WE play mmos and know about mmos, we think all people do.

No, those of us who are sober don't think such things.  And we wouldn't claim other people think such things either, as we know better.

1 hour ago, Xalon said:

So yup, CoH could get millions if new players. 

If it were that easy...  (which it isn't) Then there wouldn't be any number of MMO's in the ICU on life support.  They'd be enjoying those millions of new players.

So, yeah, whatever you're smoking you shouldn't be driving while under its influence.

• Like 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

46 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

I've played a couple of moms before, it's not as great as it sounds.

I'm imagining you in a sundress, high heels and lipstick, complaining about how much your boobs make your back hurt.

And now everyone else is imagining it, too.

You're all welcome!

• Haha 3
  • Moose 1

22 minutes ago, Luminara said:

I'm imagining you in a sundress, high heels and lipstick, complaining about how much your boobs make your back hurt.

And now everyone else is imagining it, too.

You're all welcome!

Excuse me.  I need some lysol....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Luminara said:

You're all welcome!

And here I was going to tell everyone the story about how I played your mom. But now you've gone and given everyone the wrong idea. 😁

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

1 minute ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

And here I was going to tell everyone the story about how I played your mom. But now you've gone and given everyone the wrong idea. 😁

A random stranger just jumped into one of the reflection pools in PI, /ccpoofed into a bikini and spent ten minutes splashing around next to me while I was testing graphics settings.  And then followed me for another five minutes while I was trying to get a good screenshot of anisotropic filtering in action.  I'm assuming that the player was trying to talk to me, but I don't have /local in any of my tabs, and he/she didn't /tell me, so I don't know what the hell was going on.

And this post is still weirder than that.

Well done.  I'm as proud of you as if you were my own crotch larva.

• Haha 1

On 2/1/2024 at 12:06 PM, Mopery said:

There are far too many grown men these days who seem to make a living out of crying about comic book stories and how they have suddenly become political.

I would counter that argument with the cover from Captain America #1...

"1967

A is a fictional comic book hero created by Steve Ditko. Unlike most of Ditko's work, the character of Mr. A remained the property of Ditko, who wrote and illustrated the stories in which the character appeared entirely himself. The character first appeared in Wally Wood's witzend #3 (1967)." - wiki

Edited by UltraAlt

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.