Alright, DEFINITELY a question for the general population.

Do you roleplay in-game? (General RP population check.)  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Check below your answer, do you RP on COH?

• Yes (Genre, frequency or type doesn't matter.)
    • No (Prefer other play styles.)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/08/24 at 11:36 PM

You put this in the RP section of the forums, so your data will be biased.  You'll get mostly RP'ers who frequent here which will sway your final tally to say "yes" mostly.  Most people who do not RP do not even look at this section and wouldn't even see your post to vote "no" - so you're not going to capture accurate data from them, and thus not get a true comparison.  

But if all you want is to capture who frequents this section and RPs... you're all good.  But just wanted to warn you in case not.  🙂  

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

2 minutes ago, Frozen Burn said:

You put this in the RP section of the forums, so your data will be biased.  You'll get mostly RP'ers who frequent here which will sway your final tally to say "yes" mostly.  Most people who do not RP do not even look at this section and wouldn't even see your post to vote "no" - so you're not going to capture accurate data from them, and thus not get a true comparison.  

But if all you want is to capture who frequents this section and RPs... you're all good.  But just wanted to warn you in case not.  🙂  

That's what I hope, if folks can let me know where they RP if not in game, that would be cool too but not a hard line ask. ^^

Roleplaying mentor volunteer, and mentorship contributor.

Chatrange Popmenu/Where to find me/Beginners Links

blinkiesCafe-Ov.gif.461b52017365412a34160eb002f74cfe.gif

I post on here with stories and "roleplay's" that I find interesting. it wasn't like before that if you waiting 24 hours you almost had too many post to read to get out your part. 

I remember an open RP that was like a "Super Hero High" based of sky-high. That was an amazing "RP" that was consistently and constantly having people join and play along. 

Know you post in here and 3-4 days later someone might reply....

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Cyrickain13 said:

I post on here with stories and "roleplay's" that I find interesting. it wasn't like before that if you waiting 24 hours you almost had too many post to read to get out your part. 

I remember an open RP that was like a "Super Hero High" based of sky-high. That was an amazing "RP" that was consistently and constantly having people join and play along. 

Know you post in here and 3-4 days later someone might reply....

I'm a bit of a daily haunt. When I get some rest I'll probably end up opening up something for an RP thread, but it's nice to know there's other players that do forum RP as well.

City of... is sort of my backdrop for Roleplay. I play pretty infrequently but enjoy to Roleplay and PVE when I do.

Roleplay here usually lacks the teeth I'm used to. Teeth being character stakes such as permadeath being on the cards (roleplayers roleplay very differently when there is something to lose, take my word for it). There's usually a lack of gravitas for a lot of themes in COH too.

Lacking teeth isn't bad it's just different. I love COH for it's fairly casual log in, RP a few hours, log off style, from missions with quick-quips to a Pocket D hookup, or something more. The Roleplay here is great and I'd never change it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I currently roleplay "lite"- short walk-up encouters with little long-term impact.  My availability in-game is too short.   

My availability to reliably RP outside of games (on discord and the forums) is far greater.  I'll probably engage in more roleplay / round-robin storytelling there if I see interest.

Anecdotally, Krimson's observation resonates with me.  It FEELS like my characters have less RP walkup success when I have "no ERP" in the bio.  That could just be the lenses of  disappointment affecting the view, though.   

I've always felt that one of CoH's greatest strengths (the great support for alt-aholism)  works against strong, persistent-story RP with friends.  When other games  encourage you to play one character for months on end, you develop a consistent face, with a consistent group, and better get the threads of a consistent story over time.   If I try that here, there's less chance that the players' characters I RP'd with yesterday will be available to play tomorrow.  The PLAYER might be online, but on a totally different alt in a totally different SG.  (Alt-aholism DOES work good for short, themed events, though.  I can quickly roll up a new character with a new look specificially to support a new event and its theme, but then that character is often shelved right after the event is done).

Edited by chase
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, chase said:

Anecdotally, Krimson's observation resonates with me.  It FEELS like my characters have less RP walkup success when I have "no ERP" in the bio.  That could just be the lenses of  disappointment affecting the view, though.  

I also tend to try and give a LOT of space to other players, and I avoid established groups since if they want someone around, they will say so. If I see players in the middle of roleplay, I never interrupt. I found out the hard way why, so I only speak when spoken to.

Honestly, if people want ERP, there are sites devoted almost exclusively to that.  I'm a longstanding member of one of the more respected (and thankfully heavily moderated) one of those sites.  I wouldn't expect that kind of RP here of all places.

• Thumbs Up 1

If I'm in a public space and alone, I tend to sort of listen in for openings to join the conversations. I'm very much turn-based in mindset in regards to RP and likes to give everyone a chance to talk and share their story, even in small bits. I do tend to mirror-post in reply length to avoid overwhelming players that are inexperienced with multiparagraph roleplayers. But we do exist! We're kind of wide spread on the server but we do exist. 🙂

• Like 1

I'll RP in game, though not generally walk up and jsut talk to someone. Will also carry things over that don't really "work" in game to Discord (now,) forums (formerly) and/or the occasional bit of writing (generally a piece for character history or what's in their head - or setting something up somewhere other than Paragon/Isles.)

• Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I don't RP on City of Heroes nearly as much as I used to. Call it burnout or whatever. I've been glancing this way more recently. Maybe 'The Itch', has started to form again, and the new updates are certainly piquing my interest some more.

But, when I do RP, it's (almost) always in-game.

Not that I haven't engaged in other activities, but my personal feelings are that, if I want to roleplay in City of Heroes, then it's almost certainly going to be in-game.

Most of my in-game RP, however, will usually be with familiar faces. I'm not adverse to RP'ing with strangers, but with my limited time I'm more inclined to play with people whose company I enjoy. Perhaps that makes me an introvert, and maybe I'll branch out again. Some day.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh? You like City of Heroes?

Name every player character.

I'll be waiting in my PMs.

CoH/V would be in my top 3 MMOs for RP-ability (ESO and TSW/SWL being the other two).  I have split my time between in-game RP and Discord/Forum RP before, but not recently.

I mean, players have designed entire bases as restaurants with 'first date' ambiance, or as nightclubs straight out of the Club 54 glam era.  That's impressive as heck.

I do think that casual RP has fallen off somewhat - more RP happens within RP-centric SGs than not.

But the weekend dance parties are as awesome as ever!

Edited by Oz The Elderly Gaymer
  • Thumbs Up 1

Fools!  We Will Destroy You All!

Would You Like To Know More? [YES] [NO]

- Aeon University Online

Markus Magnum - Praetorian DP/MA Blaster

On 2/7/2024 at 2:15 PM, Crystal Dragon said:

I just want to get a general idea of how many of us actively RP in the game, and if not, where else? Forums, discord, whichever!

but positive answer in the poll is "Yes (Genre, frequency or type doesn't matter.)"

I figure creating and playing by character conception and having a bio is role-playing, but now I'm not sure if you think that counts or not.

I may have threw off your poll numbers ...

On 2/7/2024 at 2:49 PM, Crystal Dragon said:

if folks can let me know where they RP if not in game, that would be cool too but not a hard line ask.

When I'm talking to people on the phone at work, I feel like I'm role-playing. Does that count?

Years ago, before CoH, I did a lot of RPG gaming with multiple gaming systems and some work.

I only have had a very limited exposure to LARPing, and it seemed kind of silly and tedious.

I did some of the medieval recreation stuff, but more on the eating, drinking, and bashing people in armor stuff versus any serious RP of the said characters at such events - even though people supposedly had personae for said events.

And then there was independent "pirate" television stuff for public-access cable tv before youtube. Where exactly is the line drawn between RP and free-form acting?

• Like 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

7 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

Does that count?

It most definitely counts, sometimes we have to put on a "mask" to be able to do the job and get shit done, and that definitely counts.

7 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

Where exactly is the line drawn between RP and free-form acting?

To be honest with you, LARPing and playing the characters personality is very much improv/free form acting, the difference between is the RP forms here is mostly constrained by text format, whereas the RP or LARP that you find in the offline world is very much constrained by action, physical response (facial expression as much as body posture change) as well as tone and speech patterns to incorporate that character as a personality for the game session. Between the two, there are differences but it falls under the same line of RP, "And then.." sort of aspect of story writing and character development. I used to do Amptgard and SCA larping, I totally get where you are coming from with this question, bud, it's cool. ❤️

Edited by Crystal Dragon
Minor typos, fixed!
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/7/2024 at 2:42 PM, Crystal Dragon said:

Just kind of checking to see who all checks the boards and getting a count of how many of us still lurk here and pay attention to the boards.

Does it still count as lurking if I actually post?

I try, but it's hard to break in when I've got a very limited and sporadic schedule. Of course, jumping on these forums and adding my characters is making me feel a little more motivated, so once I get my computer working again, I'll probably make a stronger effort than I have in the past.

• Thumbs Up 2