Help me decide Bots/?

Xandyr

Hey all.

So, I've not really played Bots since Live, and I figured it's time to remedy that.

I'm toying with pairing it with FF or Rad maybe? I think the-to hit, -Resist, and the extra -Regen from Rad would be kinda cool. Would the -to hit (and heal)be enough to to keep the pets alive?

And how do most slot the pets in order to fit the def/resist Pet IOs?

I know FF is the classic pairing.

I may be persuaded to go /Electric. 

Thanks for any input/suggestions/ideas!

I would go /dark over /rad. Only one toggle on /dark and otherwise a great set, plus fluffy from Dark can mule pet IOs. 

/elec is really good. Less offensively powerful than dark or traps, but insanely powerful defensively especially if you invest in an expensive recharge build. 

/time is actually kinda the new /ff. It goes well with everything and is more fun and does more stuff than Forcefield. Staggering amounts of -recharge to enemies. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheSpiritFox said:

fluffy from Dark can mule pet IOs. 

Since when? Is this on Beta because Fluffy has never been able to slot pet IOs. The only MM secondary power that can is Storm Summoning's Tornado. 

I tried Rad a long time ago but found it kind of boring. The start of the fight is setting up the 3 or 4 toggles. I believe the toggles' radius were small but I could be wrong or it may have been changed. I didn't like Fallout and Mutation were useless while soloing since they do not work on pets. But maybe it might be worth checking out just for fast pets. Every time a Rad or Kin is on the team, "Omg, it's Christmas," comes to mind as I marvel at my pets zipping around.

IMO, Time, Electric, Dark, FF, and Traps are all great choices.

Time - Easy to softcap DEF, heal and recharge buffs, pretty good debuffs.

Electric - Fantastic durability for you and pets, pretty much infinite END, status immunity

Dark - King of the debuffs. Robot/Dark is kind of a hidden gem as you don't see many of them, but they are fantastic together.

FF - DEF and status in spades.

Traps - Robo/Trap still a top contender for soloing, even today.

I have had the best results with Time, Elec, and Dark personally.

• Like 1
  • Microphone 1

Bot/trap for longterm strength.  after level 50 with frankenslotting hamis to max acc/dmg/endred/defense, ff gen and maneuvers you can softcap pets

bot/trick for lots of offense.  oil slick can be lit by your photon grenade or your bots energy sprays.  flash arrow is also the backbone of the set its insane

bot/dark is the ageold classic.  all the -tohit stacks with your bots +defense very well

i never tried bot/time but sounds nice on paper

whatever you pick having a snare pit goes best with bots.  with the level 26 upgrade the firepits made by your assbot causes a lot of fear.  caltrops, glue arrow, dark pit, etc

• Like 1

I dislike the idea of Robotics/FF, mostly because Robots benefit more from a debuffing secondary than a defensive one. Traps, Time, Dark would be before FF.

Here is the slotting I use (Robots/Traps) for just the primary powers:

Spoiler

------------

Level     1:            Battle Drones   

(A) Superior Mark of Supremacy - Damage: Level 50

(*) Superior Mark of Supremacy - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance: Level 50

(*) Soulbound Allegiance - Chance for Build Up: Level 50

(*) Expedient Reinforcement - Resist Bonus Aura for Pets

(*) Sovereign Right – Accuracy/Damage

(*) Sovereign Right - Resistance Bonus

Level 2:                 Pulse Rifle Burst

(A) Sudden Acceleration - Knockback to Knockdown

(*) Sudden Acceleration - Knockback/Accuracy/Damage

(*) Sudden Acceleration - Knockback/Accuracy

(*) Sudden Acceleration - Knockback/Damage/Endurance

(*) Sudden Acceleration - Knockback/Damage/Recharge

(*) Sudden Acceleration - Knockback/Recharge

Level  6:                Equip Robot      

(A) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance

(*) Unbreakable Guard - +7.5% MaxHP

Level 8:                 Photon Grenade             

(A) Annihilation - Accuracy/Damage

(*) Annihilation - Damage/RechargeTime

(*) Annihilation - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance

(*) Annihilation - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime

(*) Annihilation - Chance for Res Debuff

(*) Annihilation - Accuracy/Damage/RechargeTime

Level 12:              Protector Bots  

(A) Superior Mark of Supremacy - Damage/Endurance: Level 50

(*) Superior Mark of Supremacy - Accuracy/Endurance: Level 50

(*) Defense Buff IO: Level 50+5

(*) Edict of the Master: Defense Bonus

(*) Call to Arms: Defense Aura for Pets

(*) Call to Arms: Accuracy/Damage

Level 18:              Maintenance Drone

(A) Preventive Medicine - Heal

(*) Preventive Medicine - Heal/Endurance

(*) Preventive Medicine - Endurance/RechargeTime

(*) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime

(*) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime/Endurance

(*) Preventive Medicine - Chance for +Absorb

Level 22:              Assault Bot        

(A) Superior Command of the Mastermind - Accuracy/Damage: Level 50

(*) Superior Command of the Mastermind - Damage/Endurance: Level 50

(*) Superior Command of the Mastermind - Damage/Endurance/Recharge: Level 50

(*) Superior Command of the Mastermind - Recharge/Pet +AoE Defense Aura: Level 50

(*) Superior Mark of Supremacy: Accuracy/Damage: Level 50

(*) Superior Mark of Supremacy: Endurance, +Resist (All) +Regen(Pets): Level 50

Level 26:              Upgrade Robot

(A) Healing IO: Level 50+5

EDIT: I noticed this has a Defense Buff 50+5 in Protector Bots. After the introduction of Maintenance Drone I observed that the Protector Bots are making a LOT more attacks (yay!) and depleting Endurance faster than previously (boo!) so I swapped this for a Boosted Defense/Endurance piece. There is a marginal decrease in group defenses, but the Protector Bots now have consumption similar to the T1 henchmen.

While leveling up, I don't rely on the MM attacks... so I don't really use slots on them until later. The secondary powers will almost certainly need slots. If the secondary powers don't need slots, then it was probably a poor choice of secondary!

Edited by tidge
added note about Protector Bot slotting

FWIW, Force Field now does some -Resist debuffs on Force Bomb and Repulsion Bolt, plus it has the debuff power mitigation/protection in Dampening Bubble. 

Also, repulsion field doens't suck the blue bar dry, so it is very easy to keep foes at a distance. Works quite nicely with ranged sets like Robots or Mercs. FF isn't all Defense these days, though it is still it's calling card. 

Edited by Force Redux
  • Like 2

@Force Redux on Everlasting

----- (read my guide) -----

Gather the Shadows: A Dark Miasma Primer for Masterminds

On 2/10/2024 at 5:01 AM, StrikerFox said:

Since when? Is this on Beta because Fluffy has never been able to slot pet IOs. The only MM secondary power that can is Storm Summoning's Tornado. 

I tried Rad a long time ago but found it kind of boring. The start of the fight is setting up the 3 or 4 toggles. I believe the toggles' radius were small but I could be wrong or it may have been changed. I didn't like Fallout and Mutation were useless while soloing since they do not work on pets. But maybe it might be worth checking out just for fast pets. Every time a Rad or Kin is on the team, "Omg, it's Christmas," comes to mind as I marvel at my pets zipping around.

I've never really understood why it can't take the recharge intensive pet sets, it seems like it should be able to but for some odd reason can't.

Bopper: "resistance resists resistible resistance debuffs"

• 2 weeks later

Probably late to the party, but had to mention /cold since surprisingly no one else did.  Easy to defensively soft cap bots with cold similar to force field.  In addition you get all the other goodies cold has.  Heat Loss also solves the endurance issue bots now seem to have.   

Bots/ pairs pretty well with almost any secondary; it really repends what you want from the character.

I've played Bot/Dark and Bot/Traps extensively, but my favourite is a Bot/Kin.

It works reasonably well (it was *very* well prior to the recent patch that crippled Bonfire) - Speed Boost and Transference counter your henchies' endurance woes, Increase Density fills in useful gaps in their Damage Resistance and Mez Protection; and Transfusion is a solid AoE heal with -Regen debuffs baked in. Plus, obviously, Siphon Power and Fulcrum Shift makes your pets' AoE damage output completely skyrocket.

Unfortunately it's impossible these days for a Bot/Kin to softcap their pets' defence solo without Incarnate abilities (the Assbot and Drones used to be able to hit >45% back when Protector Bot bubbles double-stacked) but they can still reach around 36.6%, so a single Support Core Embodiment or +Defence AoE Inspiration will softcap them.

Running Barrier Core Epiphany is also capable of softcapping all your pets for the first 60s of its 120s duration (providing you're running a +Defence Alpha Slot like Agility Core Paragon to increase its default buff slightly!) and if you combine it with a Lore Slot support pet that has a +defence buff (such as Warworks, Robotic Drones, IDF or Clockwork) then it can push your henchies over the softcap during the rest of the time.
+ The Warworks and IDF and Drones Lore support pets have an AoE +5% Defence bubble that constantly cycles "on for 10 seconds then off for 10 seconds" plus a fast-recharging Single Target Heal/Mez Protection buff.
+ The Clockwork support pet has a Single-Target +5% Defence bubble that can keep four of your henchmen bubbled constantly (it targets the oldest pets first, so summon your Assault Bot before the rest!) plus a slightly-slower-recharging Single Target Heal.
+ The Talons support pet has an AoE up-for-20s-down-for-25s +5% Defence/+10% DmgRes buff and a ST Heal.
+ The Seers support pet has a ST +5% Def buff in Fortitide which can only affect one pet at a time; plus a ST Heal.
+ The Arachnos support pet has an AoE +10% Defence buff with 90s uptime; but it'll only get it off once per summoning (so 90s every 15 mins).
I typically run with Warworks, since the LT deals decent and consistent -Regen debuffs; which when combined with Bot/ attacks and Transfusion can halt an AV's regeneration.

image.png.8765919818ea80f27021a1b9aa32d16b.png  image.png.9e1fd9eb6dbf130b9794ba919fc212a8.png image.png.a9fcf71c0e6a26d143e15b6a0a56cef4.png  image.png.63166ea89fbbcb54b4607af5435a9b4e.png image.png.47d330b88f315b7f3c6127453e0bc1d6.png  image.png.3cd5f8634ed7bbdd79442238099357b9.png

For "normal" gameplay rather than "farming" it can help to run Clarion Core Epiphany instead of Barrier, since no native mez protection for the Mastermind themselves can make things a bit iffy (although the henchmen being immune to everything due to their native protections plus ID helps drastically). Mine is currently sitting at roughly 50% Defence to all positionals with just Maneuvers and Combat Jumping running plus the Protector Bot shield and a smattering of set bonuses; but they've got no real noteworthy damage resistances, so a few henchmen tend to stay in Bodyguard mode just in case!

image.png.eb4cb2a9d3e52229edd9882f5468952b.png

Until recently a large part of this character's soloing performance at endgame (fighting endless hordes of +4s) relied upon Bonfire from the 'Flame Mastery' Epic Pool with a KB>KD IO slotted. Since the Page 7 nerf, Bonfire remains useful for pure survivability (it has a reduced radius and a slightly lowered KD rate... but it still reliably flops enemies that remain within the radius) however it has become far less useful for keeping enemies bunched up - too many enemies now manage to flee out of the area of effect, which means that they escape your Swarm Missile Burn patches and also become much more awkward to catch in a Fulcrum Shift.

I'm currently experimenting with other options (like Repel combined with Web Envelope/Electrifying Fences) but am yet to settle on a new optimal setup.

That said, if you bring a duo buddy (or second account) with a Taunt or AoE immobilise etc. then it's still a crazy effective combo.
Same goes for any teams short of +4 Hardmode TFs (where /Kin is always appreciated, but continually resummoning the Drones can get annoying!)

[EDIT:]
I spent quite some time this evening testing a number of possible new combinations on Brainstorm. It looks like it's currently a toss up between Mu Mastery (Repel with a KB>KD IO, plus Electric Fences can keep things neatly bunched up) or Fire Mastery (Bonfire with a KB>KD IO, plus Fireball with a 'Superior Frozen Blast: Chance for Immob' Proc - the Immob proc triggers just often enough to keep a sufficient number of foes within the bonfire). The first setup gives you greater survivability by way of Charged Armor, however keeping Repel up in the middle of a big horde of enemies is a major endurance drain and basically requires you to spam Transference. The second setup gives you greater damage output due to Fireball's better numbers plus an extra 'Annihilation -Res' Proc in Bonfire; but the Immobilise proc gets less reliable as enemy level/rank increases. Mace Mastery performs worse than both due to the long animation time on Web Envelope, and Scorpion Shield is useless since you're already softcapped.

Edited by Maelwys
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later
13 hours ago, Bacon Wrangler said:

@Maelwys

Could you post your build for bots/kin?

Yup no worries. I've been flicking between two:

Mastermind - Robotics - Kinetics (Bonfire).mbd

Mastermind - Robotics - Kinetics (Elec Fences).mbd

The Elec Fences build is quite a bit tougher (due to the Damage Resistance Shield) and Repel+ElecFences is very nice mitigation in most content; and keeps foes nicely bunched up for the Assbot's Burn Missiles. Repel, however, suffers from Endurance Issues whenever you find yourself surrounded by well-beyond-the-aggro-cap foes in a farming run (which is pretty common for me - unlike most farming builds, Bots/ are excellent against Psionic Melee foes in AE, especially with Barrier and Increase Density running... their resistances are tailor-made for it, and all MM Pets are immune to -recharge debuffs!) - it's doable, but I found I needed to keep spamming Transference on cooldown; which got annoying rather quickly.

So personally on Homecoming I'm currently still sticking it out with Bonfire. Luckily they've reverted the duration nerf so that it's now perma again (albeit with a smaller radius than before and *very slightly* lower KD chance). Occasionally I'll bite off more than I can chew + faceplant... but, well, that's what Rise of the Phoenix is for.

If I alternate between my Barrier Destiny (at least +9% Def for the first 60s, then +6% for the last 60s) and Support Hybrid (+14.4% for 120s, then nothing for 120s) my pets can stay Softcapped most of the time. Any extra from Lore Pet buffs etc. is just Gravy.

EDIT: You'll notice that (aside from the epic pools) both builds have largely the same slotting, with the notable exception of the set IOs in the Assault Bot and Protector Bot powers which are reversed. Testing has proven that I can stick the four SMoS Set IOs in either of those pet powers; it really just depends on what unique IOs you want available whilst exemplaring. The Protector Bots probably gain the most benefit from the additional Endurance Reduction; but both them and the Assbot will eventually run dry of endurance if you're constantly fighting (even with Speedboost up) so it doesn't really matter which you pick - you'll still need to occasionally use Transference to top them up!

Edited by Maelwys
  • Thanks 1

On 3/10/2024 at 7:12 PM, Bacon Wrangler said:

@Maelwys

Could you post your build for bots/kin? I'm only level 7, but have been wondering if I'd made a mistake with /kin (while fully acknowledging my habit of biting off more than I can chew at low levels)

One of the best temp powers in the game for dealing with the low levels is the stun grenade from the START vendor. I find them particularly useful on MMs which don't have great low level henchies but blossom later, like bots. A much underrated power IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bopper: "resistance resists resistible resistance debuffs"

Yeah I've learned that the temporary power stun grenades really help out pets survivability. It's a mag 3 stun that recharges quickly and if you have high to hit buffs or defense Debuffs lands well enough. If you use oppressive gloom you can even CC bosses as you hug them and launch a stun grenade in their face. No more trying to heal your pets if enemies are all CCed. Always buy a max stack when I log in and solo x8 missions. Don't use them in teams because teams just steamroll mobs down. 

• Like 1