Allow more than one power to be on auto activate at a time.

I can't be the first person to suggest this, but try as I might my searching turned up nothing. Many players have Hasten on auto, but other builds benefit from having other non-toggle powers activated as soon as they become available (such as most any Dominator that has Dominate on perma). I don't know if this is hardcoded into the game, but I thought I'd ask.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Thumbs Down 6

As I understand it, we are only allowed to have 1 power set to auto-trigger so we can't set up self-activating attack chains. So I'm willing to bet this request won't be happening.

1 minute ago, Rudra said:

As I understand it, we are only allowed to have 1 power set to auto-trigger so we can't set up self-activating attack chains. So I'm willing to bet this request won't be happening.

I would say just limit to non attack powers or only allow one attack power.
Like many Hasten is my go to auto, but  I would like some other buffs to be on auto after recharge. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, plainguy said:

I would say just limit to non attack powers or only allow one attack power.
Like many Hasten is my go to auto, but  I would like some other buffs to be on auto after recharge. 

I'm not a dev, but I'm not sure that can be set up. Not in this game at least. And most likely probably not without an overhaul of the powers system.

2 hours ago, Rudra said:

Two attacks isn't much a chain, and you wouldn't even be able to have them benefit from Hasten.

10 minutes ago, The General said:

Two attacks isn't much a chain, and you wouldn't even be able to have them benefit from Hasten.

Just passing on my understanding. (Though yes, you can have a complete chain with just 2 attacks. I have a few characters, like my fire/dark Corruptor, that can maintain a constant stream of attacks with just 2. Fitting in the more powerful attacks when they finish recharging.)

This game is already easy enough, this would just encourage more AFK farming.

• Thumbs Up 6

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I agree op. Surely there's can be some other way to discourage afk farming that doesn't prevent a good QOL change for my SR, NIN, shield, etc characters. There is currently a complicated macro workaround but there should be something for smooth brains like me to set up in a second. 

• Like 1

Again, isn't this game easy enough already?  We can all, easily, quickly rig the game in our favor and sleepwalk our way to vast amounts of in-game wealth as it is.  Just make a choice and don't click that one thing or another this very second.

• Thumbs Down 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Here's an interesting consideration (at least to me): Having an auto-activated power can still be disrupted and prevented by clicking another power to queue before the auto-activating one triggers, and it also delays the player's ability to use another power (until it has finished its auto-activated casting time). Just like would happen if you the player clicked the auto-activating power before or after the other power you are trying to use. Which can already be problematic on occasion if you say go to heal (yourself or others) because your heal has thankfully finished recharging, but you can't because the auto-activated power is now auto-activating. Or you have another power queued and your auto-activating power recharges around the same time you click that other power, but now the auto-activating power can't until the queued power goes through its animation and casting time, which is much less of a problem than the former. I know, that isn't a common occurrence, but it is one I've run into from time to time. (Which is why I typically don't have anything on auto-activate.) And now, there are two such powers. Or three such powers. Or however many such powers as makes players happy until they can just leave the game on auto-play and walk away. (I know, the request is for 1 more, but we all know it isn't going to stop there.) So now you have to contend with two auto-activated powers that may disrupt your usage of higher priority powers for the situation you are in, or you may find them not triggering in the order you want or need because you triggered a power that delayed auto power 1 and auto power 2 has timed in and the game decided to queue auto power 2 before auto power 1. (And for those that want more than 2? Extrapolate for the number of auto-activating powers you want.) (Edit: Note that like I said, this is an interesting consideration, but not really a hit on the OP. Other than the inevitable request to keep giving more auto-activations to use.)

So I have to agree with @Clave Dark 5, the game is already too easy to be asking to make it even easier with more auto-activating powers. And the added complication of having possibly 2 (or more) auto-activating powers keeping me from using something I need without having to disable the auto-activation to get back the control for power order in another frantic battle is a problem that should probably be avoided. (And there is still the problem of setting up attack chains with multiple auto-activating powers so that farming gets even easier than it already is. Nothing against the farmers in the game, but they don't need any more tools to do so.)

Edit again: Could you imagine where the requests for more auto-activating powers could wind up? With just 2, people can have a 2nd account and have an /Empathy bot following them around constantly spamming Heal Other (targeted on the actually being played character of course) and Healing Aura. At 3? Add in Regeneration Aura or Recovery Aura. At 4? Have both auras. At 5? Fortitude. At 6? Clear Mind or Adrenaline Boost. Get up to 7? And now you have a fully functioning Empathy heal bot following you around making you invincible. And if we can have 2? Then why can't we have 3? Or 4 or 5 or 6 or 7?

Edited by Rudra
Edited to correct "is" to "in" and add "is a".
  • Like 1

On 2/17/2024 at 5:56 PM, A Cat said:

There is currently a complicated macro workaround but there should be something for smooth brains like me to set up in a second. 

On 2/16/2024 at 1:58 PM, The General said:

I can't be the first person to suggest this, but try as I might my searching turned up nothing. Many players have Hasten on auto, but other builds benefit from having other non-toggle powers activated as soon as they become available (such as most any Dominator that has Dominate on perma). I don't know if this is hardcoded into the game, but I thought I'd ask.

Autofire with movement keybinds up to 4 powers fill power name ( .._auto Here" )    

/bind s "+backward$$pow_exec_auto "

/bind a "+left$$pow_exec_auto "

/bind d "+right$$pow_exec_auto "

/bind w "+forward$$pow_exec_auto "

Add the power name right after auto and enclose it with parensis, no complex macro since its binds.

/bind s "+backward$$pow_exec auto Hasten" 

will fire off hasten if you tap backwards.

You can now WASD up to 4 powers basically auto, but you cannot auto fire the old way since this is bascially executing like you actually clicked a power not (control left click) which they will over right.  Its almost full proof, sometime it locks up with a target and won't activate.  I may of also derped one of the key binds with a typo which you can just copy paste but haven't fixed it, forgot something and it won't fire properly off that.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

On 2/17/2024 at 11:44 PM, twozerofoxtrot said:

@The General if you would like, I can detail how to set up a series of binds so that when you either move or attack, you activate one of two buff powers.

I do this on all my Dominators and any character that has a click mez protection power, as well as Hasten. It works pretty well.

This is what I do. I have a left/right bind set up for hasten and domination. and I always place them next to each other. so I can easily see which one needs to be to be "clicked " and just move left or right and viola.. 

I also set this up for toons that have hasten and active defense

If possible, the rule should be something like: you can have two auto powers if neither is an attack. 

That way, Doms, SR/Shield/Nins, SS with Rage etc could get the benefit, but afk farming wouldn’t be strengthened at all.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Outrider_01 said:

Autofire with movement keybinds up to 4 powers fill power name ( .._auto Here" )    

/bind s "+backward$$pow_exec_auto "

/bind a "+left$$pow_exec_auto "

/bind d "+right$$pow_exec_auto "

/bind w "+forward$$pow_exec_auto "

Far too complicated and messy; I may not hit anything but W for a considerable time during busy play, and it isn't as automatic as it should be if you have to remember to keep your alt dancing in circles. 🙂

The solution here is walking binds — bind all your toggles and auto-powers to W, with a rolling bind to keep selecting the whole chain. A bit fussy to set up, especially the first time, but I haven't had an alt have toggles or auto powers down for more than seconds with the system for lo these several years.

Section 2.9 in the Tech Guide (www.Shenanigunner.com). I'd post it here but the full explanation is pretty long.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

On 2/17/2024 at 10:44 PM, twozerofoxtrot said:

@The General if you would like, I can detail how to set up a series of binds so that when you either move or attack, you activate one of two buff powers.

I do this on all my Dominators and any character that has a click mez protection power, as well as Hasten. It works pretty well.

That would be helpful! I just don't think we should need binds for what seems simple "keep long-term buffs going" functionality.

5 hours ago, The General said:

That would be helpful! I just don't think we should need binds for what seems simple "keep long-term buffs going" functionality.

The idea that some powers have limited duration and a required cooldown period was a fairly carefully considered element of the game. That this facet has been eroded doesn't mean we should throw the whole concept out.

You can have one power auto-activate. Choose wisely.

Or, you know, use a workaround because you believe the concept is wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

14 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

Far too complicated and messy; I may not hit anything but W for a considerable time during busy play, and it isn't as automatic as it should be if you have to remember to keep your alt dancing in circles. 🙂

The solution here is walking binds — bind all your toggles and auto-powers to W, with a rolling bind to keep selecting the whole chain. A bit fussy to set up, especially the first time, but I haven't had an alt have toggles or auto powers down for more than seconds with the system for lo these several years.

Section 2.9 in the Tech Guide (www.Shenanigunner.com). I'd post it here but the full explanation is pretty long.

can bind w and d keys its that simple compared to a bind file for 2 powers. Hitting 2 keys is repeatly will keep them active .  I have 1 toon with 4, another 3, and quite a few with 2. its easy with a dominator while playing but AFK will break the autofire of hasten/domination until you get back than rebuild dom bar.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

9 hours ago, Outrider_01 said:

can bind w and d keys its that simple compared to a bind file for 2 powers.

Well, for two powers, that's fine. And for alts with four or five toggle shields or buffs? Ahead of Hasten, Rage or other click powers? 🙂

"We're gonna need more buttons!"

9 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

Well, for two powers, that's fine. And for alts with four or five toggle shields or buffs? Ahead of Hasten, Rage or other click powers? 🙂

"We're gonna need more buttons!"

Ah, the binds I made were for click buffs with decent recharge to duration, not toggles. 

If you want a bind like the keypad to turn on toggles after a hospital trip, sure why not I use 6 to cast my MM's 3 necro pet powers, 2 to buff them, and the last summons a dark servant.  Followed by a complex set of key binds off the Q E R F C T G and mouse 4/5 to drop a tar patch, attack T3 pet, Attack all pets, heel all pets, heel T1 stooges to set as body guard while the other T2/T3 idiots attack (body guard mode for the dum dums), Soul Extraction. 

My god life got easier and more complex at the same time with keybinds.

Similar set up with an Illusion/Dark controller, but dropping tar patch, Fear pet, the phantom army on a target followed by summoning 15 feet away with the final pet and a hasten/Fade bind for 45% smash/lethal defense.  I need to redo the build, didn't have the room for dark servant and wasn't too concerned about it....wish I had put it in.  I may just have to get more influence and make a 2nd build, too scared I will Fck up this current one though I wonder why I picked up Black Hole instead of Dark Servant but it was late build; servant would of been nice earlier.

Rage click?

bind w "+forward$$quit_character$$log_in_blaster"

I have a raging hatered for Rage, the debuff just wasn't worth it since it would go down at the wrong time.  Aside from that, Foot stomp is awesome just wish the mid tier punches didn't look so dorky.

On 2/19/2024 at 8:42 PM, Shenanigunner said:

That this facet has been eroded doesn't mean we should throw the whole concept out.

I mean, it does. If the player wants to sacrifice the ability to manually time the activation of their powers because they have enough recharge to have the buff up all the time, there's no reason the game shouldn't allow them to do that.

If needing to manually press a button every two minutes is the only thing keeping the game from being too easy, it's already too easy. This is a quality of life suggestion that does not impact difficulty at all. Even being able to set all your attacks to autocast does not meaningfully reduce the game's difficulty, because randomly mashing all your buttons is not difficult. And it's not like it would be anywhere close to optimal. The only thing it would help with is AFK farming, and I honestly don't know why people care about that in the first place when farmers can already use AHK scripts to replicate exactly that functionality.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

43 minutes ago, nzer said:

I mean, it does. If the player wants to sacrifice the ability to manually time the activation of their powers because they have enough recharge to have the buff up all the time, there's no reason the game shouldn't allow them to do that.

If needing to manually press a button every two minutes is the only thing keeping the game from being too easy, it's already too easy. This is a quality of life suggestion that does not impact difficulty at all. Even being able to set all your attacks to autocast does not meaningfully reduce the game's difficulty, because randomly mashing all your buttons is not difficult. And it's not like it would be anywhere close to optimal. The only thing it would help with is AFK farming, and I honestly don't know why people care about that in the first place when farmers can already use AHK scripts to replicate exactly that functionality.

In this case, it isn't so much a question about making the game easier, but more about making the game more or less able to play itself for farming. And that is something I think should be avoided at all costs. After all, this isn't an idler game where all you have to do is claim your rewards from the game just running itself. It's an MMO. (Edit: So there should be player involvement both for prioritizing targets to attack and powers to activate. The push to automate that more than it already is can [and probably will] eventually lead to making this a passive game like an idler. Not something I want to happen to this game.)

Edited by Rudra

56 minutes ago, Rudra said:

And that is something I think should be avoided at all costs.

Not at all costs, surely. That would mean we have to not just remove autocasting, but also all abilities that are able to deal damage without constant player input.

Again, I don't really understand why people care whether it's possible to AFK farm or not. Very few people are going to create a character just to AFK farm, those that want to already can and can even fully automate the character with external macros, and as far as I can tell AFK farming and even farming in general has done basically nothing to shift market prices over the past four years. So why exactly are we interested in sacrificing quality of life in the rest of the game to curtail farming? It seems like little more than an attempt to police how other people want to enjoy the game, which I'm not super cool with.

45 minutes ago, Lazarillo said:

I'd note that if you need more than one power to be on auto to make a powerset (or a whole AT) work, that's more a sign that said powerset (or said AT) needs a balance pass.

Hasten is a thing, so this would mean no powerset could ever have an ability you want to autocast. Or that hasten would need to be reworked, which I don't think there's much appetite for.

7 minutes ago, nzer said:

Hasten is a thing, so this would mean no powerset could ever have an ability you want to autocast.

Gonna be That Guy™ and point out deciding Hasten is strictly necessary on every build and picking it as your auto-cast are both choices.

• Like 2